inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Thrift Store/Yard Sale Thread

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 10:34 pm

Okay...I know a bunch of us who really love shopping at thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc)...and we really love to talk about our experiences there...so, instead of taking up space on other threads, talking about it...let's move it to this thread.  You can talk about anything concerning thrift/antique stores here....neat stuff you have found, experiences there....anything really. :)

Subject: Re: The Thrift Store Thread

Written By: Dagwood on 03/09/06 at 10:39 pm

I haven't found anything exciting, but I love thrift stores.  Great idea for a thread.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 10:40 pm

Good idea.

I've gone probably at least once a week since '98ish, so there's alot of stories I could tell. The other day, I actually found a vintage pair of LA Gear's, circa '87, that were in their original box, unworn. I couldn't believe that. ;)

While they do fit me, it's kinda small, but I couldn't pass that up.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 10:42 pm

BTW, I know the actual possibility of this is rare 'cause we're on opposite sides of the country, but --- wouldn't it be funny if we both were at a Goodwill and inadvertantly got annoyed with each other crowing a certain area, without knowing who the other was, of course? ;) ;D

yes...that would be hilarious! ;D :D I could just imagine standing there, rolling my eyes..thinking..."when is this guy EVER gonna be finished looking at all of those tapes/records?".  One time Beth and I went to Goodwill and Beth was standing there trying to look at albums....well, all of a sudden this kid (who was looking at items near her).....just cut right in front of her, said, "excuse me"....and then proceeded to look at the albums that she had been glancing through....she was like, "um...okay, I was looking at those, but ya...I guess not anymore"....and that comment didn't even phase him...he just kept on looking at them. ::) In the words of Stephanie Tanner....."HOW RUDE".  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 10:43 pm

Good idea.

I've gone probably at least once a week since '98ish, so there's alot of stories I could tell. The other day, I actually found a vintage pair of LA Gear's, circa '87, that were in their original box, unworn. I couldn't believe that. ;)

While they do fit me, it's kinda small, but I couldn't pass that up.

wow! cool! I love when I find vintage things in tip top shape (in their box, or with original tags)...those things sell really well on Ebay! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 10:44 pm

I haven't found anything exciting, but I love thrift stores.  Great idea for a thread.

thanks! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 10:44 pm

BTW, "Salvation Army" and "Goodwill" is a teeny bit different. The former tends to be slightly higher quality stuff (and tend to be appliance/clothing/furniture-based), but Goodwill is more "everything", and they usually also have more gadgets/electronics too.

Also, I'll even see stuff they dump, out behind the back of the store (not in a dumpster, it's occasionally on the street). I hate to feel like I'm taking "trash", but I once found a 3-piece boombox there without the speakers. Everything still worked, though, so it still had/has some value (to me anyway). Just hook up a pair of headphones, and it's good enough. ;)  

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/06 at 10:47 pm

There are 7 major thrift stores around here.  1 Goodwill, 2 Salvation Army's, 3 March of Dimes, and 1 Value Village.  On a regular basis, I try to visit them all, cause I am a thrift store junkie :)

Usually, the only things I buy are T-Shirts, Music (Records, Tapes, CD's) and the odd time, I'll find some good electronics.  The best is when Salvation Army has 50% off days.  Since they only charge 25c for records, I get 'em for 12.5c on half price days 8)

The biggest jackpot I ever hit was a few years ago.  Salvation Army (or Sally Ann, as it's sometimes called) was having a

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 10:49 pm

yes...that would be hilarious! ;D :D I could just imagine standing there, rolling my eyes..thinking..."when is this guy EVER gonna be finished looking at all of those tapes/records?".  One time Beth and I went to Goodwill and Beth was standing there trying to look at albums....well, all of a sudden this kid (who was looking at items near her).....just cut right in front of her, said, "excuse me"....and then proceeded to look at the albums that she had been glancing through....she was like, "um...okay, I was looking at those, but ya...I guess not anymore"....and that comment didn't even phase him...he just kept on looking at them. ::) In the words of Stephanie Tanner....."HOW RUDE".  ;D

That's messed up -- yeah, I'd never do that. In fact, rudeness like that in general turns me off (the Bay Area seems to have that alot). When someone is in an area I want to check out, I just look at other stuff until they're done.

The only time I ever said something was when I saw a VCR that was the EXACT kind we had when I was a kid (probably bought it in '84 or so, and it lasted until the mid '90s. To a kid, age 2 to, like 13 is an eternity). I saw a guy taking it, so I -- feeling very awkward and like George Costanza on Seinfeld ( ;D ) -- politely explained how it was the same model from my childhood, blah blah, even offered him 20 bucks to make up for it.

Luckily he was a cool guy who understood (he didn't care about that one, was just looking for a cheap VCR), but I felt really weird doing that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 10:56 pm

We have tons of Goodwills, a bunch of Salvation Army stores, Saint Vincent De Paul's, plus a few local owned thrift stores around here.  I have noticed that Salvation Army has higher priced stuff, but one thing that I do like that they do, that Goodwill doesn't do is price their clothing individually....instead of putting one price on a one lump sum of items. For example...at Goodwill, all of their ladies shirts are one particular price...it doesn't matter if the shirt is thinner, heavier, bigger/smaller sized, etc...they are one price....but at Salvation Army....you can look through the shirts and they price them accordingly as to how much they have been worn, name brands, etc....

Wow....that's cool to have found a neat boombox in the trash that still worked...I have never thought of looking out back, as I thought they might have cameras back there or something.  We used to have one of those Goodwill boxes near out Kmart store...and my mother-in-law (who loves bargains too)....would take a bunch of bags that she was donating...and then if she saw anything laying outside of the box that appealed to her...she would "exchange it". LOL!

Speaking of finding things in the trash....have any of you found something that someone put out in their trash for garbage day, and have taken it?  I have seen so many neato things that people have thrown away...but unfortunately I don't have a vehicle big enough to pick up things like furniture, etc.  I always say that I should buy a pick-up truck! LOL!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 11:04 pm

We have tons of Goodwills, a bunch of Salvation Army stores, Saint Vincent De Paul's, plus a few local owned thrift stores around here.  I have noticed that Salvation Army has higher priced stuff, but one thing that I do like that they do, that Goodwill doesn't do is price their clothing individually....instead of putting one price on a one lump sum of items. For example...at Goodwill, all of their ladies shirts are one particular price...it doesn't matter if the shirt is thinner, heavier, bigger/smaller sized, etc...they are one price....but at Salvation Army....you can look through the shirts and they price them accordingly as to how much they have been worn, name brands, etc....

I never thought of that before, but I always used to assume the price on certain clothes was demand/quality/condition, etc. I do agree Salvation is usually more thorough - Goodwill occasionally has missing tags, etc.

I've taken people's "trash" before, but this is kinda embarrasing. The very first time I did it a few years ago (it was a tape recorder '80s style alarm clock, a few books, and a roller chair -- all of which I still have) I didn't realize/or forgot it was common for people to do that - probably 'cause by then, we had lived in apartment complexes for a few years.

Anyway, I remember knocking on these people's door for a few minutes, intending to ask if it was cool I took the stuff by the garbage can. Luckily the guy was nice, but I'm sure he was thinking, Boy, that kid probably doesn't get out much? ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 03/09/06 at 11:07 pm

I have never taken anything out of someone's garbage but my aunt does.  I find it hilarious during neighboorhood cleanup to watch all the pick up trucks patrolling the piles. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 11:08 pm

I never thought of that before, but I always used to assume the price on certain clothes was demand/quality/condition, etc. I do agree Salvation is usually more thorough - Goodwill occasionally has missing tags, etc.

I've taken people's "trash" before, but this is kinda embarrasing. The very first time I did it a few years ago (it was a tape recorder '80s style alarm clock, a few books, and a roller chair -- all of which I still have) I didn't realize/or forgot it was common for people to do that - probably 'cause by then, we had lived in apartment complexes for a few years.

Anyway, I remember knocking on these people's door for a few minutes, intending to ask if it was cool I took the stuff by the garbage can. Luckily the guy was nice, but I'm sure he was thinking, Boy, that kid probably doesn't get out much? ;D

I heard that apartment complexes are good places to find neato things in the trash.  I guess because people are coming and going a lot, and sometimes people just throw things away because they can't take them when they move.  A few months ago I was going down this street and I saw this neat looking painting sitting out in someone's trash...I had a few errands to run and was planning on coming back and picking it up....but to my dismay, when I returned for it...someone had beat me to it....because it was gone. :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/06 at 11:10 pm

The best thing I love about thrift stores is when I find rare albums or tapes that are like near impossible to find.  Last year, I sort of made an embarassing scene.  I was at Value Village and as I was looking at the tapes, I saw something that made me scream "Holy Fuсk" in excitement.  There in front of me was the cassette tape of "The Net" by Little River Band, a tape I'd been looking for since like forever.  Once I realized I had screamed a loud swear, I looked around me, and there were all these people looking at me, so I looked quickly at the tapes again, then went right to the cashier so I could pay and get the hell out of there ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 11:12 pm

I heard that apartment complexes are good places to find neato things in the trash.  I guess because people are coming and going a lot, and sometimes people just throw things away because they can't take them when they move.  A few months ago I was going down this street and I saw this neat looking painting sitting out in someone's trash...I had a few errands to run and was planning on coming back and picking it up....but to my dismay, when I returned for it...someone had beat me to it....because it was gone. :-\\

Oh, definitely. We've lived in my current place for 9 and a half years. I've found a desk, roller cart, and a couple CD/video racks by the dumpsters, just for starters. In fact, I'm still using that very desk right now (I'm sure it cost, at least a couple hundred bucks when it was new).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 11:12 pm

I have never taken anything out of someone's garbage but my aunt does.  I find it hilarious during neighboorhood cleanup to watch all the pick up trucks patrolling the piles. ;D

yes, it seems like a lot of people do that sort of thing around here too.  Get this...my brother-in-law was helping his uncle with some plumbing in a nice neighborhood...and happened to notice a big screen TV sitting out by someone's trash.  He talked to the owner of the house and asked him why he had thrown out the TV and the guy basically told him that it wouldn't turn on anymore, so he ended up purchasing a new one.  My BIL asked him if he could have it and the man obliged.  My BIL is a Mr. Fix-it and can usually tinker with things until they work....so, he took it home, plugged it in, and turned it on...and it has worked fine ever since. ;D  The only thing wrong with it is that it has a few marks on the screen (probably from being older and used a lot)...but that was about it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 11:14 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 11:15 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 11:15 pm

Oh, definitely. We've lived in my current place for 9 and a half years. I've found a desk, roller cart, and a couple CD/video racks by the dumpsters, just for starters. In fact, I'm still using that very desk right now (I'm sure it cost, at least a couple hundred bucks when it was new).

dude, that's awesome!  I guess I will have to start perusing apartment complexes on my weekends! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/06 at 11:22 pm

OMFG!!! that is SO funny! ;D  I could just imagine you doing that too! ;)   I totally understand that kind of excitement though. One time I found this big bag of individual packages of vintage 80's scratch and sniff stickers...and the whole bag was $2....there were about 20 never been opened packages in there...I ended up selling them on Ebay...for like $15 to $20 PER PACKAGE!! :o :o  You can imagine how stoked I was when I found those! ;)

It's awesome when you find unopened stuff in thrift stores.  Late last year, I found a brand new (still in the original factory sealing) copy of "Family Feud" for the original Nintendo.  I almost didn't want to open it, but I wanted to play it so bad ;D

One time, I found a factory sealed copy of the UK version of "Make it Big" by Wham! and upon opening it, inside were two (same) full-color fold-out posters of Wham! ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 11:24 pm

dude, that's awesome!  I guess I will have to start perusing apartment complexes on my weekends! ;)

Yeah, I recommend that. I wonder if I should check other complexes out sometime.

There's kind of a funny story related to that desk -- one day, my dad must've spotted it since the dumpster is right by our old garage (we've lived in two places in this complex - first from 1996-02, and our current unit for four years).

Well, I'm going out to check it out, when this jerky older guy who used to "patrol" the complex (he was the kind of guy who would get on you for parking in a "visitor" spot overnight, etc) happens by, going to me, "Did you throw this out?" I explained that I hadn't, but in fact, I would be taking it up shortly. Of course, when you're moving a desk, it helps to take the drawers out first. A couple minutes later, as I'm returning for the "main" part with my dad now helping, the guy returns and is like, "What is that still doing here. I need it out of here now!", just needlessly angry, we very calmly say, "Hey, don't worry, I promise we're taking it right now. You'll not see it ever again."

Fortunately that was the end of that, but I just remember that was probably the fastest I ever moved a desk in my life. I felt like I was on a game show or something (i.e. who can get it to the door in 60 seconds or less)? ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 11:25 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 11:27 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 11:27 pm

this is SO cool...I am so stoked that we all love to talk thrift store stuff like this....I gave you both a karma because it made me smile! I would love to chat more...but I am going to hit the hay...I have to be up in about 5.5 hours.  So....see you guys in here soon, I presume!  Goodnight! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/06 at 11:28 pm

That's cool, man -- you know, since we can't actually get in a time machine and go back to 1984 and shop around, I almost feel like stuff like that is as close as we'll ever come.

BTW, I once found a vintage Loverboy T-shirt there, too.

yes, I totally feel close to my childhood when I am shopping in those kinds of places.

WOw...that's cool about finding that t-shirt...retro/vintage band/group tees sell well on Ebay too! ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 11:29 pm

^^Goodnight, Erin. And I'll definitely be back with more stories later. :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/06 at 2:41 am

I was just gonna ask if you guys have Value Village stores in America, but I googled it and discovered that they are in America and Australia, only they are called Savers

http://www.cedmagic.com/misc/thrift-store/value-village.jpg http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/sct1000/04d-1.gif

http://www.reviewjournal.com/images/bestoflv/2000/photos/savers.jpg

These stores are so great.  They are goldmines 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/06 at 7:01 am

I've never heard of these stores...I wonder where they are located in the US?

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/06 at 12:09 pm

The Savers Store Locator

There don't appear to be any in PA  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/06 at 12:28 pm

The apartment building where I used to live, the landlord had a place in the basement where he put up a big sign, "If you want it, take it". Since most of the people living in the building were college students, at the end of the school year, there was a turn-around of tenants. The kids would leave a bunch of stuff-furnature, applances, etc. Some of it was junk but I picked up a lot of great stuff from there.

Every year, our town has a clothing drive for about a week. Everyone brings in their old clothes and then people will pick up clothes-ALL FREE. I used to volunteer at it. I would bring a bag of clothes and usually leave with a bag or two-A DAY!!!  :o  I got some really nice clothes from that over the years (including the sweater I am wearing now). What is left over usually went to the Salvation Army or overseas. Some of the stuff still had tags on it-other stuff was garbage but you couldn't beat the price.

We have a perpetual tag sale store, here in town. I have gone in there from time to time but most of it is overpriced if you ask me. In Rutland, there are a few-the Salvation Army and there is a mission that has a store. I have been in there a couple of times-I like the mission's store better than the Salvation Army. I found a foot-soak thingy (with a massager and such) for $1.  :o

Cat

Written By: Marian on 03/10/06 at 2:54 pm

They ahve one in San Jose,near West san carlos Street and South Bascom Avenue.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/06 at 3:07 pm

I've been to this department store called Dee & Dee and you can get a pair of dress pants for $9.99 and a dress shirt for $7.99.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/06 at 3:37 pm

The store to go to around me is Savers.  It is an arm of Big Brother Big Sister and the clothes they have are great.  I keep getting real quality stuff with the tags still on them.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/10/06 at 4:09 pm

I went to two three days ago. I gots me some vinyls. I got Yes, Don Henley, Duran Duran, and a plethora of others.

Ooh, and a little toddler's toy keyboard thing that makes animal noises!

Written By: woops on 03/10/06 at 4:51 pm

I like to buy rare videos (stuff that not yet or will never be on DVD), cassette singles, and records.  8)

Just found a '45 of Debbie Gibson's "Staying Together"  8)  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/06 at 8:39 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/06 at 8:40 pm

The apartment building where I used to live, the landlord had a place in the basement where he put up a big sign, "If you want it, take it". Since most of the people living in the building were college students, at the end of the school year, there was a turn-around of tenants. The kids would leave a bunch of stuff-furnature, applances, etc. Some of it was junk but I picked up a lot of great stuff from there.

Every year, our town has a clothing drive for about a week. Everyone brings in their old clothes and then people will pick up clothes-ALL FREE. I used to volunteer at it. I would bring a bag of clothes and usually leave with a bag or two-A DAY!!!  :o  I got some really nice clothes from that over the years (including the sweater I am wearing now). What is left over usually went to the Salvation Army or overseas. Some of the stuff still had tags on it-other stuff was garbage but you couldn't beat the price.

We have a perpetual tag sale store, here in town. I have gone in there from time to time but most of it is overpriced if you ask me. In Rutland, there are a few-the Salvation Army and there is a mission that has a store. I have been in there a couple of times-I like the mission's store better than the Salvation Army. I found a foot-soak thingy (with a massager and such) for $1.  :o

Cat

wow, it sounds like you got a lot of great deals! I love freebies like that! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/06 at 8:42 pm

I LOVE shopping at Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.  I've found so much nice stuff there.  In fact, like Cat, the sweater I'm wearing right now came from there....it's a Liz Claiborne and it still had the tags on it.  I've also found Tommy Jeans with tags, a pair of Doc Marten's that had never been worn (unfortunately, they were too small for me, but my SIL bought them), Yankee & VIllage Candles, and tons of other stuff.  My best deal was a pair of dress pants....they were about $2 and still had tags (just the brand, no original price).  I had never heard of the brand so I came home and googled it....I found out they were $200 pants from stores like Nordstroms :o  My SIL got a cute little Coach purse for $3.38....they are there at least once a week ;D

yes...I have found so many name brand things there...it's not even funny.  I actually stopped paying $100+ for my Doc Marten's...because it seems like everytime I go there...I find a pair of them (sometimes appearing brand new). :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/06 at 8:44 pm

I went to two three days ago. I gots me some vinyls. I got Yes, Don Henley, Duran Duran, and a plethora of others.

Ooh, and a little toddler's toy keyboard thing that makes animal noises!

I just love finding neato goodies everytime I go there.  I mean, where else can you buy a CD for 2 bucks, a book for a dollar, and a cassette tape for 50 cents?? ??? ;)

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/06 at 9:06 pm

I just got back from Goodwill.  Found a bag with 6 Atari 2600 games in it and the whole thing only cost me $2 O0

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/06 at 9:07 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 2:32 am

Today I was at Value Village, and as I was sitting on a bench that was next ot a rack of shoes, this busty woman in a very tight shirt walked by and as she turned to look at the shoes, her boob almost whacked me in the face.  I actually had to snap my head back to avoid getting hit ;D

Written By: Gis on 03/13/06 at 3:18 am

Great Thread !
Well in the U.K we don't have thrift stores as such, we have charity shops. Basically nearly all the national charities like 'Age Concern',' The British Heart Foundation', 'Oxfam' or the RSPCA have a shop where you donate your unwanted items and they resell them to collect money for their particular charity.There are literally hundreds of charities so you get loads of shops !  :) , especially in the smaller towns like mine where there are 7 on our tiny high street alone !! 
I think you lot would be in your element here, mind you they are a little more expensive than the prices you have been quoting.
My friends and I love going shopping in them.I was 'charity shop shopping' with my sister on saturday and bought a gorgeous old serving dish for

Written By: Apricot on 03/13/06 at 5:19 am

All we've got in town in terms of a "thrift store" is this one store that's never open that kids aren't allowed in. It doesn't have anything too nice anyway.

Around here, it's really Yard Sales is the way to go. And even there, finding something nice is rare.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/13/06 at 8:07 am

All we've got in town in terms of a "thrift store" is this one store that's never open that kids aren't allowed in. It doesn't have anything too nice anyway.

Around here, it's really Yard Sales is the way to go. And even there, finding something nice is rare.

I think I know what store you are talking about. Is it right in town?  We were driving around on Saturday afternoon and I saw a display window with mannequins wearing these big puffy 80's style wedding dresses...and I go, "That has to be a thrift store"....and when we went past...I saw the "thrift shop" sign on the building.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/06 at 4:07 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 7:44 pm

People are still selling Atari games after 25 years? :o

You bet.  People often just give them away to thrift stores, then people like me who know they are collectors items buy them.  I have like over 100 Atari games :o

Written By: Apricot on 03/13/06 at 8:01 pm

Maybe it's the generation gap talking but... I just never found Atari games very fun.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/06 at 4:06 pm

Maybe it's the generation gap talking but... I just never found Atari games very fun.

Why was that? ???

Written By: Apricot on 03/14/06 at 4:11 pm

Why was that? ???

I just don't find them very entertaining... they're kinda boring games.

I've got nothing against old games.. just that I haven't played a fun Atari game yet.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/06 at 4:14 pm

I just don't find them very entertaining... they're kinda boring games.

I've got nothing against old games.. just that I haven't played a fun Atari game yet.

Atari was fun at the time.

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/06 at 10:02 pm

Just got back from a day of Thrift Store shopping.  I found so many great treasures.  A cassette tape I thought i'd never find, a whole bunch of 12" singles and 6 Atari Games :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/06 at 10:07 pm

COOL! Sounds like you had a fun day? Did anyone run you over this time? ::)

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/06 at 10:23 pm

COOL! Sounds like you had a fun day? Did anyone run you over this time? ::)

Actually, I ran over someone.  This woman was standing in front of the records and tapes, just basically talking to her friends and looking over hte clothes that she was going to purchase.  I politely said "Excuse me" as I tried to get around her, but she was ignoring me, so I wedged myself inbetween her and her friends and uсking elbowed everyone out of the way ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/06 at 10:26 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/06 at 10:36 pm

that sort of happened to me yesterday at Goodwill.  I was trying to go around a corner with my cart...and there was this stupid guy looking at duffle bags and he WOULD NOT move. His butt was totally in the way and I was clearly trying to get my cart through...but he would not move....so, I just stood there and waited...staring at him. Finally....he looked up at me and looked all shocked..like, "YOU want to get through?"....um...YES. ::)

Years ago, I got really pissed off at this one woman.  She had a whole cart full of clothes and she was blocking the end of the aisle.  Rather than walk back and go all the way around, I asked her if I could get through, and she didn't respond and just kept looking at the clothes.  As she went around the corner to the next aisle, she just left her cart there, so I grabbed some of the items in her cart, and mixed them back into the clothing racks ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 03/19/06 at 7:13 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Gis on 03/20/06 at 10:36 am

You get carts ?? How big are these places  :o  I guess in the U.K we have lots of smaller stores.

To ask my question again. Do you have car boot sales in the U.S ?

Written By: Howard on 03/20/06 at 5:40 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Gis on 03/21/06 at 9:25 am

Are those like auctions where cars that have been repossessed are sold?  If so, we do.  Over here, "car boots" are locks that they put on your tires if you have too many unpaid parking tickets ;D
Doh ! of course, in America you call it the trunk !
It's where loads of people with stuff to sell load up their car and drive to a designated place like a sports pitch. You pay like

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/06 at 6:57 am

I am looking forward to the warmer weather, as many yard/garage sales will be starting back up. I always look forward to those in the spring/summer months. I especially love going to those community yard sales, where tons of houses participate, and you can spend a whole afternoon perusing the streets for great bargains! ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/06 at 7:04 am

I am looking forward to the warmer weather, as many yard/garage sales will be starting back up. I always look forward to those in the spring/summer months. I especially love going to those community yard sales, where tons of houses participate, and you can spend a whole afternoon perusing the streets for great bargains! ;)

Oh yeah, I love when everyone else does Spring Cleaning, as their trash is often my treasure! ;)

Although at the moment, if one was to look around in Northern California, they'd think it was like mid December, not the first couple weeks of Spring. We're still getting rained on almost everyday, so yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to Summer now!

Anyway, I did a big shop the other night. Got a nice sweatshirt, a black and white polo, as well as Ab Cruncher in the box from 1994 for only 10 bucks (I couldn't pass that up! Not just for getting in shape, but that it was still like new, etc), as well as a handful of '80s/90s tapes.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/06 at 7:14 am

Oh yeah, I love when everyone else does Spring Cleaning, as their trash is often my treasure! ;)

Although at the moment, if one was to look around in Northern California, they'd think it was like mid December, not the first couple weeks of Spring. We're still getting rained on almost everyday, so yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to Summer now!

Anyway, I did a big shop the other night. Got a nice sweatshirt, a black and white polo, as well as Ab Cruncher in the box from 1994 for only 10 bucks (I couldn't pass that up! Not just for getting in shape, but that it was still like new, etc), as well as a handful of '80s/90s tapes.

I was at Goodwill the other day and found a bunch of neat stuff too.  Believe it or not, I happened to stumble upon a "Castle Grayskull" from the early 80's. It's not the complete set, but it still is in pretty good shape...and it only cost me a dollar!! :o

Written By: Gis on 04/05/06 at 8:52 am

Along the lines of the who would you hang out with thread I think we ought to have a thrift exchange !
I could come over to you and find out about these cool thrift stores and the whole yard sale thing. You could come to me and visit all the charity shops and do a couple of car boot sales, maybe we would even find a skip to raid on the way !!
I just rescued the most fantastic old wooden chair from a skip near work.All it needs is stripping down and revarnishing. My problem is I don't have a car at the momnet and I would have to carry it home on the train so it's behind my desk at work at the moment !

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/06 at 12:15 pm

Along the lines of the who would you hang out with thread I think we ought to have a thrift exchange !
I could come over to you and find out about these cool thrift stores and the whole yard sale thing. You could come to me and visit all the charity shops and do a couple of car boot sales, maybe we would even find a skip to raid on the way !!
I just rescued the most fantastic old wooden chair from a skip near work.All it needs is stripping down and revarnishing. My problem is I don't have a car at the momnet and I would have to carry it home on the train so it's behind my desk at work at the moment !

wow, that would be an awesome idea...I am always looking for great bargains!! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/06 at 1:05 pm

I am looking forward to the annually outdoor flea market at the local mall.  Every late spring and into the summer, they have it every Sunday, and there are always new vendors with lots of good stuff for me to buy :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/07/06 at 9:13 am

Well, I went to Salvation Army last night with my 2 sisters and I found some neato things. I found 2 Izod Lacoste (alligator) polo shirts still with their original tags, a Le Tigre shirt, a Penguin Munsingwear shirt, some clothes for Vaughn...but the greatest thing was this vintage Pittsburgh Pirates jersey/shirt from 1979...in great condition.  I was also at Goodwill earlier in the day, and I found this awesome old trunk that I wanted to buy, it was only $20!!  My car wasn't big enough to carry it home though....I thought that it would have been cool to use as a coffee table or something....oh well, it sucks not to have a truck.

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/06 at 1:04 pm

but the greatest thing was this vintage Pittsburgh Pirates jersey/shirt from 1979...in great condition. 

Now that's cool 8)

I found a whole bunch of 70's K-Tel compilations on vinyl ... which is quite rare, cause most of the time the ones I see are so scratched and beat up, they probably wouldn't even play.  But these ones were in near mint condition 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/07/06 at 1:06 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/07/06 at 1:26 pm

I buy mostly books from there.

The last books I got were:

The Dead Zone
Firestarter
Return of The Jedi
From Russia With Love

Written By: Howard on 04/07/06 at 2:13 pm

I bought a pair of Maroon colored dress pants to clash well with my red dress shirt.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/10/06 at 1:23 pm

Just got back from a thrift store.  I bought there....

- a stuffed Wrinkles (not the puppet version)

from a used book store

- The Last Starfighter novel

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/12/06 at 4:34 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 5:15 am

I am going to the thrift today to make a drop off and check out the summer tops.  One way of getting rid of stuff is to make sure I come home with less than what I arrived with.  ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/12/06 at 5:26 am

I am going to the thrift today to check out the summer tops.   ;)

Me too I love mooching around in there, I saw an old 20's style minature hanging mirror yesterday and I'm gonna try and haggle the price down with the shop assistant  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 5:28 am

Me too I love mooching around in there, I saw an old 20's style minature hanging mirror yesterday and I'm gonna try and haggle the price down with the shop assistant  ;D

I have found some very interesting stuff like that.  A lot of collectors have gotten wise to thrift shops and and show up on "new merchandise day".

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/12/06 at 5:31 am

I have found some very interesting stuff like that.  A lot of collectors have gotten wise to thrift shops and and show up on "new merchandise day".

Yeap you're right, I've seen some dealers who sit outside in their vans waiting for OXFAM/AGE CONCERN etc to open (as they sell reasonable furniture) and they buy up loads of stuff leaving nothing for the average punter  >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 5:35 am

Yeap you're right, I've seen some dealers who sit outside in their vans waiting for OXFAM/AGE CONCERN etc to open (as they sell reasonable furniture) and they buy up loads of stuff leaving nothing for the average punter  >:(

Goes against the grain, but there isn't anything to be done.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/05/06 at 3:15 pm

this isn't specifically about a thrift store find...but more of a yard sale find.....Vaughn and I went to some yard sales today and we did find a few neat things, for only a few bucks.  I always like to find neat things for my house. I stumbled across some misc. decorations (for Christmas, and just regular decorations for the house).

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/06 at 7:26 pm

I feel like a contestant on "Let's Make A Deal" because I just got the deal of a lifetime :o

Just this evening, I was in goodwill, and they had gotten in like 6 full crates of LP's.  More than the usual old 40's and 50's albums of people youvve never heard before, these were real good records of the 80's .. well-known ones and only 49c each.  I only had 4 bucks on me, so I could only get 7 of them, so as i'm at the checkout, the nice lady behind the counter (who always gives me good deals) only charges me $2.  I was happily surprised, so jokingly I said "Wow!  Maybe i'll go back and look for more".  She said to me "you go right ahead", so I found 15 more, and she still only charged me $2 for all 22 records.  I still cannot believe it.

I may go back tomorrow.  They had atleast 40 more records that I wanted.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/11/06 at 7:27 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/11/06 at 7:29 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/06 at 7:43 pm

Psht, goodwill wanted to charge me like.. 10 bucks for seven records!

some goodwills overprice their records big time, like around $1.50-$2.00.  It's ridiculous.  Records in a Thrift Shop shouldn't cost more than 50c

wow, that lady must have a crush on you or something ;)  I never get good deals like that!!

She's a real nice lady.  She's always giving me deals cause I go in there almost on a daily basis.  If I buy a whole bunch of things, and it will cost say $5.00 for it all, she'll be like "Oh, just give $2 for it all".  I wish I had this woman's work schedule, so I'd know when she's always working, so I can always get real good deals

The other people who work there charge me the full price on the LP's.  This one big large red headed lady who works there, always opens the LP and pulls it out, I guess to make sure I'm not stuffing 45's in them.  When she puts the album back in, she doesn't do it carefully.  One time, she ripped the sleeve trying to jam the record back in.  It was a real hard to find album, one which I only ever saw that day, and have never seen again  >:(

Written By: Gis on 05/12/06 at 3:23 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/06 at 7:54 am

I went to Goodwill yesterday and I found a really cute shirt, 2 Rugrats movies for Vaughn, 2 Rugrats books for him, a neat Tribal mask to add to my collection, a cool antique trinket box, and a few books for myself....all for $12!! :)

Written By: Gis on 05/12/06 at 8:32 am

The last thing I got was two vintage 50's,very kitsch little ceramic frogs which now look so sweet sitting on top of the soil in a couple of my house plants. I like quirky things like that.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/06 at 9:43 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/06 at 9:44 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/12/06 at 9:45 pm

I went to Goodwill yesterday and I found a really cute shirt, 2 Rugrats movies for Vaughn, 2 Rugrats books for him, a neat Tribal mask to add to my collection, a cool antique trinket box, and a few books for myself....all for $12!! :)

I miss the good ol' Rugrats...

Too bad it's "All Grown Up!" now.. pft

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/06 at 9:46 pm

she's your sugar mama! ;) ;D :D

She might just be.  She's not all that attractive, but heck, if she keeps on giving me great deals, I might have to start turning on the charm ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/06 at 9:49 pm

I miss the good ol' Rugrats...

Too bad it's "All Grown Up!" now.. pft

I dunno...I don't mind "All Grown Up" that much....they aren't nearly as annoying as when they were babies!  :D ;D

Written By: woops on 05/17/06 at 9:23 pm

Rare videos of cartoons, tv shows, movies, music videos that are extremely hard to find

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/17/06 at 11:59 pm

I dunno...I don't mind "All Grown Up" that much....they aren't nearly as annoying as when they were babies!  :D ;D

Heh, I disagree.... I think they're more annoying now.. I just think it's too cheesy, back then, they weren't cheesy because they were Naive :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/18/06 at 8:52 am

Heh, I disagree.... I think they're more annoying now.. I just think it's too cheesy, back then, they weren't cheesy because they were Naive :D

Neither of them were ever my favorite! :D

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/06 at 8:57 am

I keep on getting good bargains from Goodwill.  When I buy a whole bunch of tuff, the lady doesn't even bother to add it up and ring it in.  She just throws out some low amount.  I always say "Are you sure?".  And she's like "Oh yeah, of course".  I guess I go there so much, that's why she always gives me the good deals  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/18/06 at 8:59 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/18/06 at 9:00 am

is it the same lady? "wink, wink" ;) ;D

I thought that too!!!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/18/06 at 8:55 pm

Well, tomorrow Vaughn and I are going to hit up a bunch of yard sales in the morning. There are a few community sales, so hopefully we will find some good, cheap stuff! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/06 at 9:01 pm

is it the same lady? "wink, wink" ;) ;D

indeed ;D

Whenever I'm at the checkout counter, I throw on a little charm so she'll keep on giving me good deals ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/18/06 at 10:01 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/19/06 at 9:18 pm

Our goodwill out here used to have these sales (for example, if the price tag was green and it was Tuesday, you got half off the price on the tag).
Recently they changed it to their "everyday low prices"  :\'( :\'( :\'(
But considering that I still got a pair of embroidered jeans yesterday for $4.00, I'm still happy.  They cost over $30 in the fashion catalogs.  I just wish they still had the sales...

Today went to 4 yard sales, couldn't find ANYTHING I wanted, hubby bought a 16mm or was it a Super 8mm film projector for $10 (I thiought that was a little pricey, but I'm a cheapskate), but hey at least he's happy.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/02/06 at 11:40 am

Well...I went to Salvation Army yesterday and I found some clothes/Pj's for Vaughn and a few things for Chris, a pair of nearly new sandals for me...and a bunch of books for Vaughn and a few for myself....I also found 2 shirts for myself.

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/06 at 12:07 pm

I went to a half-price sale at Vallue Village last Monday.  Big f*cking mistake ...

All kinds of old ladies running around like crazy people, smashing their carts into everything.  Honest to god, one woman even tripped and fell and knocked over asmall shelf full of electronics, and ended up smashing a few VCR's  ;D

I was able to find myself a few old cassettes, but that was about it.  I wasn't going to attempt to look at shirts or anything.  The crowds were just too thick  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/02/06 at 12:27 pm

I went to a half-price sale at Vallue Village last Monday.  Big f*cking mistake ...

All kinds of old ladies running around like crazy people, smashing their carts into everything.  Honest to god, one woman even tripped and fell and knocked over asmall shelf full of electronics, and ended up smashing a few VCR's  ;D

I was able to find myself a few old cassettes, but that was about it.  I wasn't going to attempt to look at shirts or anything.  The crowds were just too thick  :-\\

bhaahahaaa....I am getting a visual of that woman tripping and falling....and I am laughing like a madman!!! muwahahaa!!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/flamingdevil.gif

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/15/06 at 3:18 am

Anybody ever *take* anything to donate to thrift stores?  I'm too attached to most of my junk.  Although, I did take some clothes that I got as gifts from my mom (she gets them on clearance but I don't usually like the style) Bad me!    :-\\

Written By: Gis on 06/15/06 at 9:22 am

Anybody ever *take* anything to donate to thrift stores?  I'm too attached to most of my junk.  Although, I did take some clothes that I got as gifts from my mom (she gets them on clearance but I don't usually like the style) Bad me!    :-\\
Yeah I take stuff all the time. I always have a charity bag on the go, mostly for the stuff that didn't sell on Ebay. We are moving house next month so the charity shops are getting bags of stuff !

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/06 at 11:10 am

In hte last month or so, I've given the thrift shops probably around 300 cassette tapes in the last month or so.  I've been going through ones I don't listen to anymore, and I still have more to give them.  I also give them the odd T-Shirt that I don't wear anymore

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:15 am

While I was on vacation...I stumbled upon like 5 thrift stores....some of them were great, while a few others were really overpriced.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/07/06 at 9:34 am

well...this morning Vaughn and I went to a few yard sales...we found a big box of Sesame Street/Elmo movies for $3.00. We also found a TON of Beverly Cleary books (Ramona Quimby, etc), and I found a neat purse.

Subject: Re: The Thrift Store/Yard Sale Thread

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/06 at 3:49 pm

I'm sure most of you are aware that lately I have been biten by the auction bug. You can find a lot treasures at auctions and sometimes can get stuff VERY cheap. I love when we get a box of "stuff" for about $10 (or less), get it home and go through it to find all sorts of nifty-neat stuff in it. Last night, we got a box of magizine clippings and such for $8. When we got home to go through it, we found a few 1948 Currier & Ives calenders, an French engraving signed by the artist dated 1928, a couple of 1900 Ladies' Home Journal and several other things. There was a lot there that we haven't really looked through EVERYTHING yet. So, if you haven't gone to an auction, I recommend them. They are a lot of fun. But, you have to be careful not to go above what you are willing to pay for it if you are in a bidding war with someone else. That happened to me last night. There was a BIG lot but there was really only a few things that I wanted from it (some local history stuff). This one woman kept bidding and bidding. I think I finally dropped out at $35. Carlos did ask her if she wanted to sell the local history stuff but she said that was why she wanted that lot. I didn't think anyone wanted that and thought that I could get it for real cheap. But I ended up not getting it all.  :\'(  Oh well. Still had fun.

Cat

Written By: woops on 07/08/06 at 8:17 pm

Bought another Heckle & Jeckle tape and it was defected  :( :P

... should be released on DVD, though I've only seen a hand few since the early 1990's

Written By: Gis on 07/09/06 at 3:23 am

At the moment with the house move looming I'm donating not buying so I'm avoiding the places like the plague !!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/12/06 at 12:36 am

we have a huge community yard sale coming up the first saturday in August, in our neighborhood...I am so looking forward to finding lots of neat stuff!

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/06 at 7:08 pm

I went to some Thrift Stores today, and at the Ontario March of Dimes, I found 8 of Madonna's CD Singles for $1 each ...

Eat your heart out all you Madonna fans :P

Express Yourself (1989)
Justify My Love (1990)
Bye Bye Baby (1992)
Rain (1993)
Bedtime Story (1994)
Secret (1994)
Secret - The Remixes (1994)
American Pie (2000)

Written By: fusefan on 07/14/06 at 7:37 pm

I like to go to yard sales and Goodwill to buy old tvs and videotapes. You never know what you can find! ;D

Written By: woops on 07/15/06 at 3:19 am

I also have bought a bunch of videos from video rentals that were getting rid of their VHS tapes  8) :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 12:18 am

Well...I decided to bring this thread back. It's nearly spring time...and that means that it is getting much closer to yard sale time. I decided that come this summer...every Friday is going to be mine and Vaughn's yard sale perusing day!

As far as thrift stores...I haven't made my rounds in quite some time...so I deem this Saturday afternoon as: Erin & Vaughn's official thrift shopping day!!  :D

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/07 at 1:07 am

This year, my grandmother is going to have a yard sale, which will be my chance to try and sell off my VHS tapes that are collecting dust in my closet.  Over 500 of them at 1$ a piece.  I should sell atleast 1 of them.  lol

Written By: woops on 03/20/07 at 1:24 am

Found a rare public domain video set from "Kid Pics"  a few weeks ago:D

(Happy Hamster is evil!)

Not really a thrift store, but a DVD store that sells videos: a public domain cartoon video and "Puppetoons The Movie", which turns out to be better than I expected

Written By: Gis on 03/20/07 at 2:17 am

The town my sister lives in has a load of charity shops and the stuff she has found in them is amazing! It's kind of sparked my interest again though lately I've been donating again not buying.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 8:58 am

This year, my grandmother is going to have a yard sale, which will be my chance to try and sell off my VHS tapes that are collecting dust in my closet.  Over 500 of them at 1$ a piece.  I should sell atleast 1 of them.  lol

Can I make a suggestion?  Separate the more obscure ones (like the out of print ones, ones that seem like they are really hard to find, etc)....and sell those ones on Ebay instead.  Remember that movie, "The Peanut Butter Solution" that I told you I had 2 copies of? Well, it's a very hard to find video, and I ended up selling it on Ebay for over $20! :o  If you have some that you are not sure of their value, or if they would sell well on Ebay....all you gotta do is put in a search for that movie on Ebay...and kind of judge how well other people's copies of it are selling on there. :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/07 at 9:48 am

Can I make a suggestion?  Separate the more obscure ones (like the out of print ones, ones that seem like they are really hard to find, etc)....and sell those ones on Ebay instead.  Remember that movie, "The Peanut Butter Solution" that I told you I had 2 copies of? Well, it's a very hard to find video, and I ended up selling it on Ebay for over $20! :o  If you have some that you are not sure of their value, or if they would sell well on Ebay....all you gotta do is put in a search for that movie on Ebay...and kind of judge how well other people's copies of it are selling on there. :)

I do have alot of really rare/obscure ones.  I probably should try Ebay

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 9:51 am

I do have alot of really rare/obscure ones.  I probably should try Ebay

yes, you will make a LOT more money by doing that. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/07 at 11:10 pm

Originally, I went to the local used CD store and sold probably about 300, only getting $2 per movie.  I had the last laugh though, cause after I sold them off, these places stopped buying VHS altogether cause I'd sold them more than they could sell.  Now they sell their VHS tapes for less than what they paid me to take them LOL

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 11:11 pm

Originally, I went to the local used CD store and sold probably about 300, only getting $2 per movie.  I had the last laugh though, cause after I sold them off, these places stopped buying VHS altogether cause I'd sold them more than they could sell.  Now they sell their VHS tapes for less than what they paid me to take them LOL

ya, those places are usually rip-offs when it comes to turning things in for money. They hardly give you anything for DVDs, videogames, etc....it is so much more worthwhile selling it on Ebay...you make SO much more profit. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/07 at 11:13 pm

ya, those places are usually rip-offs when it comes to turning things in for money. They hardly give you anything for DVDs, videogames, etc....it is so much more worthwhile selling it on Ebay...you make SO much more profit. ;)

I recently sold off about 200 DVDs that I never watch for about $1- $2 each, a few for $4 - $5.  I am starting to kick myself now :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 11:15 pm

I recently sold off about 200 DVDs that I never watch for about $1- $2 each, a few for $4 - $5.  I am starting to kick myself now :\'(

aw man, Jason! That really sucks. People buy up DVDs on Ebay like crazy (especially if they are in lots of 5, 10, etc). :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/07 at 11:16 pm

aw man, Jason! That really sucks. People buy up DVDs on Ebay like crazy (especially if they are in lots of 5, 10, etc). :-\\

They weren't obscure titles though, more common ones that you can get in any store.  Would people really pay big bucks for them though?

Written By: MLB on 03/20/07 at 11:25 pm

Anybody ever *take* anything to donate to thrift stores?    

I usually give books, and I sent a bag of baby blankets last weekend too.  Although, I am attached to my stuff as you said, I need to be less "clingy" and remember that my room can only hold so much stuff before there's no room for me inside.  And yet, I have a thrift store "found" 80's collection of 45 records. I have a player but  :\'( sigh! it's not working properly right now.  I do sometimes find books to enjoy then when I'm done, send them back to a different location.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/07 at 11:27 pm

They weren't obscure titles though, more common ones that you can get in any store.  Would people really pay big bucks for them though?

Ya, I mean..I've sold movies in lots of like 5 or 10...and I always seem to end up getting more than I would had I gone to a pawn type shop.

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/07 at 3:45 am

So I go into Value Village today, and as I wait for like 5 minutes in line to buy one cassette tape, I get up to the cash, and the lady she informs me that cassettes are now $1.99 instead of 99c like they used to be.  With an angry face, I told her that I'm not gonna pay that, and I walked out of the store.

Honestly, even 99c is too much for a cassette tape, but it's always been somewhat reasonable, but $1.99 is just ridiculous.  I'm not paying that, and I never will, so until they wise up and lower their prices, I may never shop there again

Luckily, Goodwill still has their tapes at 50c, but the way things seem to be going, prices could end up going through the roof :\'(

I should just start stealing from there.  I mean if they are gonna charge high prices and basically rip me off, then why can't I rip them off? ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/03/07 at 4:33 pm

So I go into Value Village today, and as I wait for like 5 minutes in line to buy one cassette tape, I get up to the cash, and the lady she informs me that cassettes are now $1.99 instead of 99c like they used to be.  With an angry face, I told her that I'm not gonna pay that, and I walked out of the store.

Honestly, even 99c is too much for a cassette tape, but it's always been somewhat reasonable, but $1.99 is just ridiculous.  I'm not paying that, and I never will, so until they wise up and lower their prices, I may never shop there again

Luckily, Goodwill still has their tapes at 50c, but the way things seem to be going, prices could end up going through the roof :\'(

I should just start stealing from there.  I mean if they are gonna charge high prices and basically rip me off, then why can't I rip them off? ;D

that's insane....why would they think that they can up the price of cassettes?  I mean....hardly anyone buys them anymore...they should be lowering the price of them, instead of raising it. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/07 at 8:11 pm

that's insane....why would they think that they can up the price of cassettes?  I mean....hardly anyone buys them anymore...they should be lowering the price of them, instead of raising it. ::)

Other things are going up in price as well:  Albums that have 2 LPs are now $2.99 instead of $1.99.  CD's used to be $3.99 are now between $5.99 and $6.99 and T-Shirts that used to be $3.99 are now $6.99.  With all these stupid price hikes, I am surprised they don't charge admission to enter the store

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/07 at 10:08 pm

Bummer dude. That's still not bad, but I can see how that would be annoying (when I go there, I almost always make a point to get 3 or 4, if not quite a few more at once, lol). Over here, all the Goodwills have them for a blanket 99 cents.

It only varies if you go to a used record store, it usually varies on the artist and the condition sometimes too. Most are cheapies which are a buck or two, sometimes less (even if they're in perfect shape). The few that are a teeny bit more expensive are, say Beatles tapes, relevant artists, certain soundtracks, etc.

P.S. I honestly think cassettes will always be one of those recent enough "older technologies" that's still sorta around, even if they become less visible. They were around as late as 2003 to buy new, so the format will have some longevity in the future, even if just in very secondhand senses like this. What separates them from stuff like 8-tracks is that people amassed such large collections, and they're still residually used now for blank tapes to record off the radio, or for older cars with tape decks. So there's still a teeny demand.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/03/07 at 11:09 pm

Other things are going up in price as well:  Albums that have 2 LPs are now $2.99 instead of $1.99.  CD's used to be $3.99 are now between $5.99 and $6.99 and T-Shirts that used to be $3.99 are now $6.99.  With all these stupid price hikes, I am surprised they don't charge admission to enter the store

that's insane! People are used to the very cheap prices...with price hikes like that...they will probably lose good customers.  I know with Goodwill, around here...they have been raising prices too.  I mean....$6.00 for a pair of used jeans. ::)  All of their goods are donated....it's not like they are paying people to donate them.  They used to have neat incentives such as frequent buyer cards (you got a punch per visit if you spent over $10...when you filled up the card, you got 1/2 off of donated items on your next visit)...but they did away with that.  Then, Salvation Army used to have junior day and senior day....where you would get 1/2 off of donated goods...but alas, they did away with that as well. Everyone wants to make a killing on used items. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/07 at 2:22 am

that's insane! People are used to the very cheap prices...with price hikes like that...they will probably lose good customers.  I know with Goodwill, around here...they have been raising prices too.  I mean....$6.00 for a pair of used jeans. ::)  All of their goods are donated....it's not like they are paying people to donate them.  They used to have neat incentives such as frequent buyer cards (you got a punch per visit if you spent over $10...when you filled up the card, you got 1/2 off of donated items on your next visit)...but they did away with that.  Then, Salvation Army used to have junior day and senior day....where you would get 1/2 off of donated goods...but alas, they did away with that as well. Everyone wants to make a killing on used items. ::)

Several people I know don't go into Value Village anymore cause of all the price hikes.  Stores like these are supposed to cater to those who can't or choose not to pay big bucks for new stuff.  But if the prices keep going up, not even rich people will be able to afford to shop at these places :-\\

I bet they are raising the prices because the employees are complaining that they aren't getting paid enough.  Everyone has to make a buck I guess ::)

Written By: karen on 04/04/07 at 9:45 am

I bet they are raising the prices because the employees are complaining that they aren't getting paid enough.  Everyone has to make a buck I guess ::)

I don't know the particular store you are talking about (it's not here in the UK) but are you sure they pay their shop staff?  In the UK this sort of shop is run by volunteers to raise money for charity.

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/07 at 11:34 am

I don't know the particular store you are talking about (it's not here in the UK) but are you sure they pay their shop staff?  In the UK this sort of shop is run by volunteers to raise money for charity.

Some of the ones here do pay their employees yes.  Ones like 'Salvation Army' though use volunteers

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/04/07 at 11:41 am

At our local thrift store cassette tapes are a quarter!  $1.99?  Ridiculous.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/04/07 at 1:09 pm

...looks like my prior post slipped through the cracks :\'(

Another thing I've noticed is that boomboxes also have a weird variation in prices. And it's not always features, or how their interior/exterior condition is. They tend to base it off how big it is, lol. Like the three-piece units are usually like $39.99, whereas the compact ones are anywhere from 10-30.

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/07 at 1:34 pm

...looks like my prior post slipped through the cracks :\'(

Another thing I've noticed is that boomboxes also have a weird variation in prices. And it's not always features, or how their interior/exterior condition is. They tend to base it off how big it is, lol. Like the three-piece units are usually like $39.99, whereas the compact ones are anywhere from 10-30.

I've noticed that too.  The bigger it is, the more expensive it is, and often I notice the smaller ones are in better shape than the bigger ones.  Ideally though, you never really know if they will work in the long run or not

Value Village has a 30 day return policy (which I am sure also applies to the sister store 'Savers' in the US), but Goodwill sells everything but clothes "As Is", which means if you bought it, and it doesn't work, you're stuck with it

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/04/07 at 2:44 pm

I've noticed that too.  The bigger it is, the more expensive it is, and often I notice the smaller ones are in better shape than the bigger ones.  Ideally though, you never really know if they will work in the long run or not

Value Village has a 30 day return policy (which I am sure also applies to the sister store 'Savers' in the US), but Goodwill sells everything but clothes "As Is", which means if you bought it, and it doesn't work, you're stuck with it

Yeah, some work and some don't. I always test them first (luckily most still have the AC cord, lol) using some of their tapes. I see far more working cassette boomboxes actually. Which I guess makes sense that people would give away a tape player over a working CD player.

Most have a 3-day return policy here. I've rarely used it, but sometimes I'll buy a crappy one, fix it up a little and record with it, than exchange it for another one. :D

Written By: Howard on 04/04/07 at 3:09 pm

I also have bought a bunch of videos from video rentals that were getting rid of their VHS tapes  8) :D

Were they blank ones? ???

Written By: Marian on 04/04/07 at 3:16 pm

BTW, "Salvation Army" and "Goodwill" is a teeny bit different. The former tends to be slightly higher quality stuff (and tend to be appliance/clothing/furniture-based), but Goodwill is more "everything", and they usually also have more gadgets/electronics too.

Also, I'll even see stuff they dump, out behind the back of the store (not in a dumpster, it's occasionally on the street). I hate to feel like I'm taking "trash", but I once found a 3-piece boombox there without the speakers. Everything still worked, though, so it still had/has some value (to me anyway). Just hook up a pair of headphones, and it's good enough. ;)  
I have an American cancer society Discovery shop near my house.I donate almost everything there because it's a cause that helps everyone.They're on the upscale side,and anything they can't use they give to the teen challenge thrift shop.I actually like that discovery shop doesn't have rock bottom prices on everything because there's still alot of good stuff left when you go to shop there--important if you can';t go very often.And people are a bit self conscious to go in if they are obviously in need of a shower or reek of smoke.I've found a lot of good stuff there,like vintage books,a vintage 40s doll carriage with a Little Bo peep stencil,nice pants,vintage rhinestone jewelry,upscale brand dresses--tons of goodies.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/08/07 at 6:49 pm

I unintentionally went yard saling in the snow yesterday.  I was driving around, killing time until I had to pick up my husband, and saw a sign for a garage sale (even though snow was coming down.)  It was bitterly cold but she was out there (and had a good bit of people looking around in it too!)  She warmed her garage up with a bunch of lit candles, so it smelled niice too.  lol I got out of there only spending $7 and had 2 bags of stuff.  It was kind of surreal but more fun (weird, huh?) to garage sale in the snow.

Also went to the Salvation Army thrift store yesterday and saw my first cross-dresser in a long time.  I always feel bad for them cause they get stared at so much, can you even imagine the courage it takes to do that?  lol  I almost felt like pulling off some dresses I was looking at and giving them to him saying "these would look nice on you."  but I chickened out.  :-[

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/13/07 at 3:10 pm

Hard to believe, but someone donated a Super NES in its box, which I found this morning. 8) It's as close as you can possibly get to actually buying one "new" back in 1991.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/13/07 at 3:13 pm

Hard to believe, but someone donated a Super NES in its box, which I found this morning. 8) It's as close as you can possibly get to actually buying one "new" back in 1991.

wow..that is SUPER cool! 8)  Congrats on that great find.

I went to Salvation Army today and picked up some summer clothes for Vaughn and a few shirts for myself. I also found some books for Vaughn, and a copy of the book, "Wicked" for me.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/13/07 at 5:34 pm

I didn't think I'd ever step foot into a thrift store, but last week my mom dragged me into one and lo and behold I found a few things that I wanted!  :o

I found a lovely set of glass coasters, a couple of candles and a set of brand new margarita glasses for only a few bucks... 8)

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/07 at 7:52 pm

I didn't think I'd ever step foot into a thrift store, but last week my mom dragged me into one and lo and behold I found a few things that I wanted!  :o

I found a lovely set of glass coasters, a couple of candles and a set of brand new margarita glasses for only a few bucks... 8)

There are lots of great finds in thrift stores for sure 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/13/07 at 7:53 pm

There are lots of great finds in thrift stores for sure 8)

that's for sure...that's usually where I am at the majority of the time....I hardly remember what the mall looks like inside! ;D

Written By: Gis on 04/14/07 at 1:39 am

Ok so I am going to try and take a picture of this on my way into work but on the way home from the pub last night we about burst our sides laughing at the window display in a charity shop on the street where I work, all will be revealed later................

Written By: Marian on 04/14/07 at 3:49 pm

If i find good stuff in th e dumpster that i don't like or doesan't fit me,I give it to the American cancer society Discovery shop.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/07 at 9:40 pm

^ No big deal, but you do realize you're quoting posts from a year and a half ago, don't you? ;)

that's for sure...that's usually where I am at the majority of the time....I hardly remember what the mall looks like inside! ;D

Yeah, I only liked malls for the "atmosphere". A few years ago, I'd sometimes go on a Friday night to hang out if I had nothing else to do. Plus, even around 1998 there was a smidgen of old-school (i.e. arcades, music stores you could buy cassettes at) which has totally disappeared now.

People more or less go there as an afterthought or if they really need something, so even the "fun" aspect of the late '70s-late '90s is sorta gone now.

Goodwill definitely beats it out, and is way more affordable of course.

Written By: Howard on 04/15/07 at 7:39 am

I bought a wall clock at a thrift store for $2.99 plus tax.

Written By: Marian on 04/15/07 at 3:38 pm

^ No big deal, but you do realize you're quoting posts from a year and a half ago, don't you? ;)

Yeah, I only liked malls for the "atmosphere". A few years ago, I'd sometimes go on a Friday night to hang out if I had nothing else to do. Plus, even around 1998 there was a smidgen of old-school (i.e. arcades, music stores you could buy cassettes at) which has totally disappeared now.

People more or less go there as an afterthought or if they really need something, so even the "fun" aspect of the late '70s-late '90s is sorta gone now.

Goodwill definitely beats it out, and is way more affordable of course.
Maybe I'd be able to tell if everything didn't say "April 22 ,2004" on it! :D ::)

Written By: Gis on 04/18/07 at 1:28 am

I'm off for a browse round all the cahrity shops this afternoon, I hope I find a bargin or two.  :)

Check out the picture on the 'random photo's you took thread'  it's what I was on about in an earlier post. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/07 at 1:46 am

I'm off for a browse round all the cahrity shops this afternoon, I hope I find a bargin or two.  :)
I always imagine the charity shops in Oxford to be full of old student text books

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/07 at 3:26 am

Check out the picture on the 'random photo's you took thread'  it's what I was on about in an earlier post. ;D

Can't seem to find it    ;)

Written By: Gis on 04/18/07 at 8:46 am

I always imagine the charity shops in Oxford to be full of old student text books
They only have Oxfam store in the city centre which has two seperate book stores! I was scoping out Didcot town centre today but sadly no bargins for me. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/07 at 2:48 pm

They only have Oxfam store in the city centre which has two seperate book stores! I was scoping out Didcot town centre today but sadly no bargins for me. :-\\
Better luck next time!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/07 at 11:43 pm

Well...the weather is finally nice and Vaughn and I started our weekly Friday yard sale day. Today we went to a bunch of sales, and we found a bunch of neat stuff (books, clothes, toys, etc)...and I spent a whopping $12!!  :o :)

Written By: gemini on 05/05/07 at 1:29 pm

I went to a neighborhood garage sale this morning and all everyone had was tons of baby stuff! I was getting to the point where I would just drive by and look and then drive on. Finally, the last one I went to had all the kinds of stuff I like, and NO baby stuff! I got 3 old books, a couple of neat throw pillows, and an old wooden shelf.

Written By: Marian on 05/05/07 at 3:21 pm

I went to a neighborhood garage sale this morning and all everyone had was tons of baby stuff! I was getting to the point where I would just drive by and look and then drive on. Finally, the last one I went to had all the kinds of stuff I like, and NO baby stuff! I got 3 old books, a couple of neat throw pillows, and an old wooden shelf.
Well you can imagine no one wants to pay retail for baby stuff!although some sellers attempt to cahhat

Written By: woops on 05/05/07 at 5:17 pm

A few weeks ago, I bought a Donald Duck video from 1986...

The videos from Goodwill are now pricey... 3 bucks & no refund  :o :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/06/07 at 10:24 pm

A few weeks ago, I bought a Donald Duck video from 1986...

The videos from Goodwill are now pricey... 3 bucks & no refund  :o :P

yes, everything at Goodwill is starting to get pricey. ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/15/07 at 5:10 pm

Another good reason to go thrift shoppihg

$5,000 found in Goodwill PJs
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0510cash-buzz-10.html

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/07 at 10:50 pm

Another good reason to go thrift shoppihg

$5,000 found in Goodwill PJs
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0510cash-buzz-10.html

"Goodwill also plans to honor the honesty of Owens, who lives with her children, Isaiah, 4; Jonathan, 3; and Emily, 11 months; as well as her mother and two younger sisters.

The organization will give her a few gift certificates and throw her a party, Wylie said.

"It's really nice to have somebody that's honest working for you," he said. "We're very proud of her."

what a bunch of BS...what the heck good is a party and a gift certificate gonna do her....they should split the money with her, at least...greedy bastards. >:(

Written By: Gis on 05/16/07 at 1:17 am

A similar thing happened in the U.K. A guy donated a jacket and then realised he'd left a wodge of cash in the pocket and rushed straight back and they refused point blank to give him the money back. Even though it had paperwork with his name on it with it and the same person who took the jacket off him was in the shop. They were trying to make out he had knowingly donated the money! I believe he took it to court and won his case especially when it turned out a woman had left a ring in a handbag by accident on a previous occassion and they bhad given her that straight back!   

Written By: danootaandme on 05/16/07 at 6:08 am

"Goodwill also plans to honor the honesty of Owens, who lives with her children, Isaiah, 4; Jonathan, 3; and Emily, 11 months; as well as her mother and two younger sisters.

The organization will give her a few gift certificates and throw her a party, Wylie said.

"It's really nice to have somebody that's honest working for you," he said. "We're very proud of her."

what a bunch of BS...what the heck good is a party and a gift certificate gonna do her....they should split the money with her, at least...greedy bastards. >:(

Damn straight!! 

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/07 at 10:48 am

I spent all day yesterday running a Yard Sale in the hot heat, and all I made was $43 :\'(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/20/07 at 3:56 pm

You ever go to a rich people's yard sale?  They have nice things but charge an arm and a leg for them.  I look but never buy stuff.  I'm such a cheapskate.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/20/07 at 7:57 pm

I spent all day yesterday running a Yard Sale in the hot heat, and all I made was $43 :\'(

it is such a waste having yardsales...I never make any money...I'd much rather be finding deals at other people's yardsales.

Written By: jackas on 05/20/07 at 9:11 pm

I'm always afraid that no one will show up if I have a yard sale....so I never have them. :D  I have a lot of good stuff to sell too and I don't know what to do with it.  I give the junk to the thrift stores.  I sell some smaller items and the kids expensive clothes on ebay.

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/07 at 9:56 pm

The Yard Sale I had was up on an indian reserve on a somewhat busy road, but it was mostly old people who stopped by.  I had a few old CDs and LPs for sale, and everyone who looked at them, asked me if I had any Box Car Willie lol I eventually said to one woman "I don't have any crappy music, sorry" and she got mad and walked away ;D

A good tip to having a successful yard sale:  Don't piss off the customers :-
You ever go to a rich people's yard sale?  They have nice things but charge an arm and a leg for them.  I look but never buy stuff.  I'm such a cheapskate.  ;D

I was at one once.  There was this big giant tent, so I stopped to see what it was about.  They charged admission ($2) to get in, which I paid, and though they had some nice things for sale alot of it was mostly junk.  They also had a table with baked goods that looked like they were baked at the turn of the century.  Once I saw that, I turned and got the hell out of there before my stomach turned lol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/21/07 at 11:04 am

The Yard Sale I had was up on an indian reserve on a somewhat busy road, but it was mostly old people who stopped by.  I had a few old CDs and LPs for sale, and everyone who looked at them, asked me if I had any Box Car Willie lol I eventually said to one woman "I don't have any crappy music, sorry" and she got mad and walked away ;D

A good tip to having a successful yard sale:  Don't piss off the customers :-[ ;D ;D

I was at one once.  There was this big giant tent, so I stopped to see what it was about.  They charged admission ($2) to get in, which I paid, and though they had some nice things for sale alot of it was mostly junk.  They also had a table with baked goods that looked like they were baked at the turn of the century.  Once I saw that, I turned and got the hell out of there before my stomach turned lol

they actually charged admission!! :o  That's nuts!

Written By: woops on 05/30/07 at 1:49 am

Recently found "Some Great Videos" from Depeche Mode  :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/30/07 at 7:57 am

it is such a waste having yardsales...I never make any money...I'd much rather be finding deals at other people's yardsales.
I've only had a few, but I've made $200-$500 at each of them 8)

Went to the annual garbage garage sale at the lake this past weekend.....a couple of the houses looked like they had just taken drawers out of cabinets and dumped the crap that was in them into boxes and put a $1 sign on it ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/09/07 at 10:57 pm

We went to a local community yard sale today....I got a lot of great bargains...it was loads of fun. We are going to another one next Saturday...gosh, I love stuff like this! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/20/07 at 1:11 pm

So, Beth and I went to a few yard sales this morning. She found some neato stuff for her apartment. I found a few nice things as well. I got 2 stick vacuums ($2 each), a brand new pair of New Balance running shoes ($7), and a few other little misc. things ($2)....the best $13 that I have spent in a long time! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/28/07 at 1:50 pm

I bought a turtle sandbox (with a lid) off our neighbors at their yardsale this morning...for $2.

Next Saturday is our town's community yard sale day...I can't wait! :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/07 at 3:39 pm

Went to a Flea Market today and got 'Nurse Betty' on DVD for $2

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/28/07 at 9:59 pm

Went to a Flea Market today and got 'Nurse Betty' on DVD for $2

Cool! I love when people just wanna get rid of things....and they sell it for dirt cheap. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/07 at 11:20 pm

Cool! I love when people just wanna get rid of things....and they sell it for dirt cheap. ;)

Funny thing .. This was the only known movie on a $2 rack full of real obscure titles starring unknown actors.  The well-known movies on DVD were $5.  The lady was selling Nurse Betty for $2 cause she thought it was an obscure movie LOL

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/29/07 at 7:52 pm

Funny thing .. This was the only known movie on a $2 rack full of real obscure titles starring unknown actors.  The well-known movies on DVD were $5.  The lady was selling Nurse Betty for $2 cause she thought it was an obscure movie LOL

hahaha..it's great when people have no clue what they are doing! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/07 at 8:35 pm

hahaha..it's great when people have no clue what they are doing! ;D

I get so many good deals that way lol

Then there are those who know what they have, and sell it for sky high prices.  This one table had 80s movies on DVD and he had them priced between $10-$20 each.  Heck, some of them I can get in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/29/07 at 8:48 pm

Then there are those who know what they have, and sell it for sky high prices.  This one table had 80s movies on DVD and he had them priced between $10-$20 each.  Heck, some of them I can get in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart

oh I hate yard sales like that. It's sort of like someone trying to sell a waterbed and trying to get a TON of money out of it....it's NOT gonna happen! ;D ::)

Written By: Marian on 08/09/07 at 1:55 pm

yes,but if it's that one hard to find DVD you really HAVE TO have,you';;;be glad some yokel couldn't afford it becore you found it!

Written By: Gis on 08/09/07 at 3:47 pm

yes,but if it's that one hard to find DVD you really HAVE TO have,you';;;be glad some yokel couldn't afford it becore you found it!
Good point!

I got a cute bowling style bag and a 50's style polka dot shirt all for the bargin price of £4.50! Result.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/09/07 at 5:45 pm

I love thrift stores! I love to visit the local Goodwills and Salvation Army stores whenever I can. There's also a Deseret thrift store I love to visit, and I've found a lot of funky vintage and retro stuff there.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/07 at 8:39 pm

I have to make a stop again soon...it's been too long! :D

Written By: Marian on 08/10/07 at 1:52 pm

Good point!

I got a cute bowling style bag and a 50's style polka dot shirt all for the bargin price of £4.50! Result.
I love stuff form the 50s!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/12/07 at 10:10 am

Well, I hadn't gone for awhile (too broke as well as busy, lol) but I couldn't believe what I found yesterday. A few almost-perfect condition Nintendo Power magazines from c. 1989. Even though I already know how to beat the games which I have, lol, they're still really great to have as a time capsule and a personal memory. Plus, I always liked reading the fan letters and other extra features.

Written By: Marian on 08/12/07 at 4:28 pm

I still see records,though not always rock and roll,a lot of classical and show stuff

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/07 at 5:43 pm

I still see records,though not always rock and roll,a lot of classical and show stuff

At the Salvation Army I go to, it's almost all Gospel, Christian and classical stuff.  Even at 25c, they don't sell.  I've been seeing some of the same ones for almost a year now :o

Written By: Marian on 08/17/07 at 1:33 pm

At the Salvation Army I go to, it's almost all Gospel, Christian and classical stuff.  Even at 25c, they don't sell.  I've been seeing some of the same ones for almost a year now :o
That's at a lot of garage sales too!

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/07 at 1:16 pm

I finally went to a Yard Sale today, and I hit the jackpot .. they had boxes and boxes of DVDs 5/$20, so I loaded up ...

♦ The Weather Man
♦ Bobby
♦ My Super Ex-Girlfriend
♦ What Lies Beneath
♦ Lucky Number Slevin
♦ American Dreamz
♦ Accepted
♦ The Guardian
♦ Dreamer
♦ Let's Go to Prison

Written By: Marian on 08/18/07 at 2:39 pm

I got a pair of unused Birkenstocks for $2.00

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/23/07 at 3:40 pm

I just happened to stop in at my local thrift store yesterday, and I hit the jackpot.  I got a movie trivia board game still in the plastic, a gorgeous sweater, two pairs of capris, and a pair of jeans, all in brand new condition.  I also got 12 books, and a little figurine of a pig that says "I Love Pigs."  I love love love it when I just happen to find great deals.  And they had a manager's special yesterday, so they gave me $10 off my final total.  It doesn't get much better than that!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/23/07 at 9:23 pm

I just happened to stop in at my local thrift store yesterday, and I hit the jackpot.  I got a movie trivia board game still in the plastic, a gorgeous sweater, two pairs of capris, and a pair of jeans, all in brand new condition.  I also got 12 books, and a little figurine of a pig that says "I Love Pigs."  I love love love it when I just happen to find great deals.  And they had a manager's special yesterday, so they gave me $10 off my final total.  It doesn't get much better than that!

wow! you hit the jackpot, for sure!! ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/24/07 at 2:49 am

wow! you hit the jackpot, for sure!! ;)

It always works out that way if I just happen to drop in.  If I plan on going to look for something specific, forget it!  I can't find anything!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/24/07 at 1:01 pm

It always works out that way if I just happen to drop in.  If I plan on going to look for something specific, forget it!  I can't find anything!

that's how it usually is for me too. Everytime I go there in anticipation of finding particular things...I NEVER find them! :D

Written By: karen on 08/25/07 at 9:10 pm

I went to my first yard sales today, though here they are called TAG sales  :-\\  In particular we were looking for electrical items.  Obviously we haven't brought anything over from the UK and we only need the things to last three years. 

We were hoping to get a tv but the only one we saw had the box coming away from the screen.  The bloke insisted it still worked but I wasn't prepared to take the risk.  I did buy a brand new bread maker for $25 (bread is so expensive in the US) and a sandwich toaster for $5.  I'll be on the look out for more sales over the next couple of weeks.  The town has a thrift store but it is only open September to April.  I'm not sure if they sell electrical goods or not.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/07 at 2:59 am

I went to my first yard sales today, though here they are called TAG sales  :-\\  In particular we were looking for electrical items.  Obviously we haven't brought anything over from the UK and we only need the things to last three years. 

We were hoping to get a tv but the only one we saw had the box coming away from the screen.  The bloke insisted it still worked but I wasn't prepared to take the risk.  I did buy a brand new bread maker for $25 (bread is so expensive in the US) and a sandwich toaster for $5.  I'll be on the look out for more sales over the next couple of weeks.  The town has a thrift store but it is only open September to April.  I'm not sure if they sell electrical goods or not.

Look for a Salvation Army store, they tend to be a bit better than Morgan Memorial, although when looking just for clothes they are on a par. 

Written By: KKay on 08/26/07 at 7:57 am

I"m going to have a mega-yard sale with my friends...
when I know when members form the area are expected to attned.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/07 at 10:36 pm

I went to Goodwill yesterday...I found a TON of clothes for Vaughn...some real cute stuff.

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/07 at 10:39 pm

I just ran a Yard Sale today.  I made 77 bucks 8)

Written By: Gis on 08/27/07 at 3:05 am

Ian was desperate to go to a car boot sale yesterday but we couldn't find one.  :-\\

I haven't found anything since my shirt and bag the other week - bah.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 9:11 am

I just ran a Yard Sale today.  I made 77 bucks 8)

cool! 8)  Did ya sell a lot of movies?

Written By: whistledog on 08/27/07 at 1:02 pm

cool! 8)  Did ya sell a lot of movies?

Not a whole lot, but at $5 a piece, I didn't do too badly
I just had 1 box of DVDs I no longer wanted, and almost all of them went

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 1:40 pm

Not a whole lot, but at $5 a piece, I didn't do too badly
I just had 1 box of DVDs I no longer wanted, and almost all of them went

that's awesome! :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/07 at 8:42 pm

Went to Value Village tonight and found one of those Namco Plug & Play TV Games for $5.99 :o

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/na/namco-classics-tv-game.jpg

Written By: woops on 09/06/07 at 9:11 pm

A few weeks ago founf a video that featured a long banned Bugs Bunny cartoon

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/07 at 12:58 am

A few weeks ago founf a video that featured a long banned Bugs Bunny cartoon

What did Bugs do to get banned?  ???

Written By: gemini on 09/08/07 at 6:08 am

We're going to be moving in the next month or so, so I'll be hitting the yard sales and antique stores to hopefully find some neat decorating items.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/08/07 at 8:45 am

We're going to be moving in the next month or so, so I'll be hitting the yard sales and antique stores to hopefully find some neat decorating items.  :)

where are you guys moving to, Rhonda?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/08/07 at 1:08 pm

Went to Value Village tonight and found one of those Namco Plug & Play TV Games for $5.99 :o

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/na/namco-classics-tv-game.jpg

Neat!  Does it work?

How fun.  Well, except for the moving part...I hate moving.  But decorating a new place is fun.  Best of luck to you!

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 6:34 pm

Neat!  Does it work?

It does yes and the batteries were still with it.  I didn't think it would work, but it did

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/08/07 at 10:50 pm

What did Bugs do to get banned?  ???

http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/banned-cartoons/

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/10/07 at 12:17 pm

I haven't picked up any "entertainment things" in awhile, but yesterday I actually found a perfectly working haligen lamp for $8.

Just another question - do you guys ever go to all the different Goodwills in one day? I don't have the time I used to, but I like to kinda check them all periodically, even if I don't get anything. Just to make sure no good stuff gets away from me, lol.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/07 at 12:41 pm

Just another question - do you guys ever go to all the different Goodwills in one day? I don't have the time I used to, but I like to kinda check them all periodically, even if I don't get anything. Just to make sure no good stuff gets away from me, lol.

I do.

Around here, there is a Goodwill, Value Village, March of Dimes and 2 Salvation Army stores and I usually try to visit them all one after another

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/07 at 4:55 pm

On Saturday, a range of classic CDs were purchased for a charity shop and are well worth the money.

Written By: KKay on 09/10/07 at 4:58 pm

i think i'm doing a yard sale on the 22nd. if you are in the tri state area, come out!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/10/07 at 9:02 pm

I haven't picked up any "entertainment things" in awhile, but yesterday I actually found a perfectly working haligen lamp for $8.

I try to hit more than 1 in one day. I just went to Goodwill today and found a bunch of clothes (most with the tags still on!)...and some books. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/10/07 at 9:57 pm

^ Oh cool, I love when something has the "original" stuff on it. It's like as close as you can come to actually time travelling back to when it was new and buying it at, say a KMart in 1990 or whatnot. I also like being able to get hardcover copies of books that you'd never see again elsewhere (since everything goes to paperback after, like a year). Even if I already have something, I'll usually get it again, just so it's a sturdier copy. Like I'm glad I have two copies of Jerry Springer's autobiography, lol. ;)

What books did you get?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/10/07 at 10:01 pm

^ Oh cool, I love when something has the "original" stuff on it. It's like as close as you can come to actually time travelling back to when it was new and buying it at, say a KMart in 1990 or whatnot. I also like being able to get hardcover copies of books that you'd never see again elsewhere (since everything goes to paperback after, like a year). Even if I already have something, I'll usually get it again, just so it's a sturdier copy. Like I'm glad I have two copies of Jerry Springer's autobiography, lol. ;)

What books did you get?

Well, I got a few books for Vaughn, and I got one for myself...it is called, "The Town That Forgot How To Breathe" By: Kenneth J. Harvey. It's a thriller type book....and I started reading it...so far, so good.

A few days ago I got a few other books, which I have already read (I am a speed reader, if you didn't already know this).  One was called, "Sam's Letters To Jennifer" By James Patterson. The other one was the original book of "A Christmas Story" (where the movie originated from). I just LOVE to read!

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/10/07 at 10:08 pm

Well, I got a few books for Vaughn, and I got one for myself...it is called, "The Town That Forgot How To Breathe" By: Kenneth J. Harvey. It's a thriller type book....and I started reading it...so far, so good.

A few days ago I got a few other books, which I have already read (I am a speed reader, if you didn't already know this).  One was called, "Sam's Letters To Jennifer" By James Patterson. The other one was the original book of "A Christmas Story" (where the movie originated from). I just LOVE to read!

Oh, that's cool. I should get back into bookreading sometime, because I'm the same way when it's something I'm interested in. I usually get so into it that I finish before I even have time to take everything in...then, just like a movie, I go back and do it again. The second time you'll get more familarized with details.

Speaking of Jerry's biography, I read that in like three days, and even that was from holding it in and waiting as long as I could. ;D Like I knew he was mayor or that the show used to be serious, but not really that much in detail. It was so much fun learning about his own thoughts on his life, the show and lots of other things. It was entertaining, sad, touching and funny kinda all at once. Sometimes I wish I could erase my memory so I could experience that stuff for the first time again.

I like reading novels of movies too, they usually go more in-depth and that's where the basis of the movie tends to come from. Another series I always liked was Fear Street by R.L. Stein. It's like Stephen King lite. Since Halloween is coming up in not too long, that makes me wanna check those out again.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/10/07 at 10:10 pm

I like reading novels of movies too, they usually go more in-depth and that's where the basis of the movie tends to come from. Another series I always liked was Fear Street by R.L. Stein.

Yes, those were good books.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/07 at 1:48 am

i think i'm doing a yard sale on the 22nd. if you are in the tri state area, come out!
Shame that you are not in my area...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/11/07 at 9:14 am

Shame that you are not in my area...

I know..same here. I would love to visit your yard sale. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/07 at 9:40 am

I know..same here. I would love to visit your yard sale. :-\\
We don't really have yard sales over here, but the household bits and pieces are taken to and sold in a Car Boot Sale.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/11/07 at 9:41 am

We don't really have yard sales over here, but the household bits and pieces are taken to and sold in a Car Boot Sale.

sorry...I meant to say that I was agreeing with you, wishing that I also lived closer to Karen...to visit her yardsale. ;)

Car Boot Sale...is this similiar to a thrift shop?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/07 at 9:49 am

sorry...I meant to say that I was agreeing with you, wishing that I also lived closer to Karen...to visit her yardsale. ;)

Car Boot Sale...is this similiar to a thrift shop?
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photos/18/28/182819_e55c30bd.jpg

A typical looking Car Boot Sale

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/07 at 10:31 am

So it's like a Flea Market .. a large gathering of people with stuff to sell in their trunk ?

Something like that could never happen over here ... In most parts of North America, if someone is selling something out of their car trunk, it's usually illegal ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/07 at 10:36 am

So it's like a Flea Market .. a large gathering of people with stuff to sell in their trunk ?

Something like that could never happen over here ... In most parts of North America, if someone is selling something out of their car trunk, it's usually illegal ;D
People spend their weekends buying or selling at one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/11/07 at 10:28 pm

Yep, pretty close to our "flea markets"

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/07 at 6:05 am

The way things are shaping up for the weekend, I may end up at one this weekend.

Written By: woops on 09/13/07 at 8:50 pm

found more Looney Tunes videos a few days ago, and about two dozen not yet on the DVD set  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/13/07 at 11:33 pm

^^^ Speaking of flea markets, I've sold stuff there before. Even though loading it up and waiting in the hot sun isn't my idea of fun, the experience itself is pretty cool. I made like 100 bucks off used CDs and other things there one time. Unfortunately the place that did it got new ownership, so that parking lot stopped doing it in, like 2004.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/13/07 at 11:35 pm

^^^ Speaking of flea markets, I've sold stuff there before. Even though loading it up and waiting in the hot sun isn't my idea of fun, the experience itself is pretty cool. I made like 100 bucks off used CDs and other things there one time. Unfortunately the place that did it got new ownership, so that parking lot stopped doing it in, like 2004.

a few of our drive-in movie theatres do big flea markets on Sunday.  You pay like $5 or $10 dollars for a space...and you bring your own table/chairs/etc...and you sell all day long.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/13/07 at 11:39 pm

a few of our drive-in movie theatres do big flea markets on Sunday.  You pay like $5 or $10 dollars for a space...and you bring your own table/chairs/etc...and you sell all day long.

Oh yeah, that's what that place did. It was a big parking lot of a strip mall which did it I think, the first Saturday once a month. I think there's a couple others which do, I might look into that. It's a bummer because that particular one was so conveinent.

BTW, how many drive-ins do you guys have around there? I've never been to one before in my life (to see a movie) but there's still an open one which does flea markets too. I should go sometime.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/13/07 at 11:43 pm

Oh yeah, that's what that place did. It was a big parking lot of a strip mall which did it I think, the first Saturday once a month. I think there's a couple others which do, I might look into that. It's a bummer because that particular one was so conveinent.

BTW, how many drive-ins do you guys have around there? I've never been to one before in my life (to see a movie) but there's still an open one which does flea markets too. I should go sometime.

we are very fortunate to have 3 working drive-in theatres in our local area. The nicest one is called Evergreen Drive-In (www.evergreendrivein.com), and it is only about 2 miles from us. The second one is called Hiway Drive-In (www.hiwaydriveinlatrobe.com)...and is about 15 miles from us. The third one is called Comet Drive-In (no website)...and out of the three, it is the most run-down one...it needs badly renovated. I LOVE going to the drive-in....we usually try to go as much as we can. They are only open on weekends now, and I believe they will be closing at the end of Sept.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/13/07 at 11:48 pm

Oh that's cool. That's two more than I know of, and this is a much bigger area! Do you mean it's closing permanently, or just seasonally? It's too bad they're only open one day a week. I guess it's more for the novelty factor. When I think of drive-ins, it's probably a '50s-early '70s thing. Even by, like the early 1980s it seemed like they were falling out of flavor, but hopefully it's one of those things from the past that has enough popularity to always be sorta around/preserved. Like hot rod cars.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/14/07 at 12:02 am

Oh that's cool. That's two more than I know of, and this is a much bigger area! Do you mean it's closing permanently, or just seasonally? It's too bad they're only open one day a week. I guess it's more for the novelty factor. When I think of drive-ins, it's probably a '50s-early '70s thing. Even by, like the early 1980s it seemed like they were falling out of flavor, but hopefully it's one of those things from the past that has enough popularity to always be sorta around/preserved. Like hot rod cars.

Well, during the summer months...it's open all week long (every day)...but when Labor Day is over, it closes during the week, and is only open on the weekends (until the end of Sept)...then it closes for the fall/winter...and opens back up in late April/May...beings that our winters are pretty cold and snowy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/14/07 at 12:06 am

Well, during the summer months...it's open all week long (every day)...but when Labor Day is over, it closes during the week, and is only open on the weekends (until the end of Sept)...then it closes for the fall/winter...and opens back up in late April/May...beings that our winters are pretty cold and snowy.

Oh I hadn't even thought of this, but that makes sense. I'm sure it's harder to even get in and out of there with weather conditions being as they are. Around here it rains quite a bit, but hardly snows. At least the Summers have a bit of a retro/old-schoolness around all the time.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/14/07 at 12:10 am

Oh I hadn't even thought of this, but that makes sense. I'm sure it's harder to even get in and out of there with weather conditions being as they are. Around here it rains quite a bit, but hardly snows. At least the Summers have a bit of a retro/old-schoolness around all the time.

Well....when I was younger our winters were brutal. We had FEET of snow..I remember helping my parents shovel the driveway...and it took forever to clear it off. We used to be able to build igloos and cool snowmen, etc...but nowadays, our winters have changed. We still get snow...but not nearly as much as we used to. I don't mind the snow...but when I have to drive and there's an icestorm...that's when I hate it. Fall is my absolute favorite season...it's just beautiful around here....the leaves change so many great colors...it's so nice seeing the fall foilage while taking a ride through the Laurel Mountains...., going to fall festivals, drinking hot apple cider, having bonfires....nothing better than that. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/14/07 at 12:26 am

Well....when I was younger our winters were brutal. We had FEET of snow..I remember helping my parents shovel the driveway...and it took forever to clear it off. We used to be able to build igloos and cool snowmen, etc...but nowadays, our winters have changed. We still get snow...but not nearly as much as we used to. I don't mind the snow...but when I have to drive and there's an icestorm...that's when I hate it. Fall is my absolute favorite season...it's just beautiful around here....the leaves change so many great colors...it's so nice seeing the fall foilage while taking a ride through the Laurel Mountains...., going to fall festivals, drinking hot apple cider, having bonfires....nothing better than that. ;)

You know what, I've always had somewhat of a idealized view of snowy winters. I guess because I didn't really get to experience them as much firsthand (I've been in the snow, just not around where we lived in Northern California). Like what you said, getting to have fun in the snow, drive around with chains on, or having hot chocolate stuff all the time. It's almost like a Winter Wonderland. Kinda like the movie Ernest Saves Christmas.

Yet that's just my perspective because I'm not as used to it. I'm sure when you see the other side of it...having to shovel out the car in the morning and are freezing to death...that other "daily living" side isn't as fun. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/14/07 at 12:31 am

You know what, I've always had somewhat of a idealized view of snowy winters. I guess because I didn't really get to experience them as much firsthand (I've been in the snow, just not around where we lived in Northern California). Like what you said, getting to have fun in the snow, drive around with chains on, or having hot chocolate stuff all the time. It's almost like a Winter Wonderland. Kinda like the movie Ernest Saves Christmas.

Yet that's just my perspective because I'm not as used to it. I'm sure when you see the other side of it...having to shovel out the car in the morning and are freezing to death...that other "daily living" side isn't as fun. ;)

It can be fun...especially when it snows on Christmas...I don't think I could ever have a Christmas where it didn't at least snow a little bit. However, yes, it can be very annoying too. Depending on where you live....some places clear the roads well, and other places do not. Where my parents live...they live up a very steep driveway...so they all have 4-wheel drive vehicles...we do not...therefore, we have to park at the bottom and walk up. It can be a pain sometimes.

Written By: Marian on 09/14/07 at 11:10 am

Christmas can be done without snow,and you don't have to be worried about being snowed in.I was talking to a cousin from the east who was snowed in and she was friggin BORED!

Written By: Gis on 09/15/07 at 4:01 am

On holiday I got a red velvet military style jacket for £8.99 I am SO happy with it.

Written By: Marian on 09/15/07 at 2:13 pm

Sounds cool.

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/07 at 8:00 pm

I went to Value Village and they had a complete unscratched copy of 'Desperate Housewives' Season 1 on DVD for only $14.99.  I was tempted to get it, but I don't really like that show.  I would only have bought it so I could look at Eva Longoria :D

I did find a cassette copy of 'Steeltown' by Big Country, which I still think was their best album!

Written By: Gis on 09/16/07 at 3:24 pm

Sounds cool.
It is very I am a very happy bunny.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/07 at 2:16 pm

I was in a Charity Shop (the charity that has associations of the city Gis works) and the CDs were expensive, it is mean to charity and therefore cheap!

Written By: Gis on 09/18/07 at 3:52 pm

I was in a Charity Shop (the charity that has associations of the city Gis works) and the CDs were expensive, it is mean to charity and therefore cheap!
Not that particular one they charge and then some!  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/08 at 10:55 pm

I found a Superman T-Shirt at Value Village :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/08 at 11:11 pm

I found a Superman T-Shirt at Value Village :)

You must have seen me reading this thread and bumped it, huh? ;)

I was gonna bump it anyway..it's been way too long since we've posted in it.

I've went to Goodwill and Salvation Army last week with Beth (she was home visiting for a few days). I found a few shirts for V at Goodwill..but we hit the jackpot at Salvation Army...they were having their 1/2 off day!! w00t! I got V tons of clothes..some were like 50 cents each! What a deal! I found some clothes and books for myself too.

On Saturday, I went to this neat fleatique place...and found an awesome tribal statue to add to my growing collection..and a few videos too.

I can't wait until yard sales start back up!! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/08 at 1:43 am

When the warmer weather starts I will be hitting the Car Boot Sales, for the charity shops are to expensive now.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/08 at 10:26 am

So, today I hit two neighborhood church rummage sales. It was the last day of the sale for both places...so they were practically giving away stuff. I got two huge shopping bags filled to the brim...for a whopping $3.50!!! I got clothes, books, some vintage clothing, a brand new lampshade, towels, home decor stuff, flip-flops, and much more. Such a deal!! ;)

Written By: Gis on 05/02/08 at 10:38 am

So, today I hit two neighborhood church rummage sales. It was the last day of the sale for both places...so they were practically giving away stuff. I got two huge shopping bags filled to the brim...for a whopping $3.50!!! I got clothes, books, some vintage clothing, a brand new lampshade, towels, home decor stuff, flip-flops, and much more. Such a deal!! ;)
:P

I haven't been for a while.

I did get some cool things the last time I went, a shirt for my sister, an awesome 50's elephant shaped plant pot and two huge cocktail rings.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/08 at 10:46 am

:P

I haven't been for a while.

I did get some cool things the last time I went, a shirt for my sister, an awesome 50's elephant shaped plant pot and two huge cocktail rings.

I love finding neato stuff for virtually free! :D

Written By: karen on 05/02/08 at 11:33 am

On wednesday I drove past a house with lots of bits and pieces out in their yard.  I stopped and had a rummage.  Someone else said they'd knocked at the house but there was no one in.  There wasn't any prices on anything so we assumed they were free.  I picked up a small barbecue and was going to take a couple of folding tables but the other woman beat me to them  >:(

Anyway I drove past again yesterday and they had a sign asking for donations for anything you take.

Written By: Marian on 05/02/08 at 2:11 pm

On wednesday I drove past a house with lots of bits and pieces out in their yard.  I stopped and had a rummage.  Someone else said they'd knocked at the house but there was no one in.  There wasn't any prices on anything so we assumed they were free.  I picked up a small barbecue and was going to take a couple of folding tables but the other woman beat me to them  >:(

Anyway I drove past again yesterday and they had a sign asking for donations for anything you take.
why didnt theythink of that before?? :o :D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/08 at 6:55 pm

Tomorrow a local radio station is hosting a huge yard sale with over 100 families.  I so can't wait.  I love yard sales.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/08 at 11:00 pm

Tomorrow a local radio station is hosting a huge yard sale with over 100 families.  I so can't wait.  I love yard sales.

that sounds like so much fun!!!! I wish I lived closer! :)

I hit up Goodwill tonight..and got lots of bargains. Tomorrow I am going to yard sales too!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 2:27 am

Now that Spring has started ( ? ), the Car Boot Sale Season starts.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/08 at 8:30 pm

We went to yard sales this morning...I think I spent a whopping $10 and got a TON of neato stuff.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/03/08 at 9:08 pm

I spent $7 at the big sale and the kiddo got some markers, two skirts and a shirt.  There wasn't much I wanted, though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/02/08 at 8:44 pm

So..I went to Goodwill tonight and I hit the jackpot!  I found this awesome set (includes: flour jar, coffee jar, tea jar, sugar, creamer, and salt/pepper). It is an avacado green and on the bottom it says, "Hornsea England". Does anyone have any idea about these? They look like they are from the 60's or 70's...and are in excellent condition. Here's a picture:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2238/may2008087od0.jpg

I also found a great Raggedy Ann & Andy 3 piece child's dining set. It is marked 1969 as the year. They are also in great shape!

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/9137/may2008092jt3.jpg

I think everything came to a grand total of: $6.00!!! :o

I just love when I find neato things like that! :)

Oh..I also found about 5 black cast iron owl trivets (that added up to like $3.00). :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/02/08 at 9:06 pm

There was a neighborhood yard sale this past weekend, so we went.

I ended up with an Intellivision and 16 games for $20.  Hubby hasn't hooked it up for me yet, I don't know if we need a converter or something??  Anyways, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/08 at 9:15 pm

Those are some great deals Erin and Patty :)  Especially that Intellivision and 20 games 8)

At the local Sunday Flea Market here, I got the Season 1 and 2 set of 'Weird Science' for $20 and The Complete Series DVD set of the 90s action series 'Cobra' starring Michael Dudikoff (also for $20)

Written By: woops on 06/02/08 at 9:15 pm

Found several "Ren & Stimpy" video tapes  8)

Written By: Gis on 06/03/08 at 3:44 pm

So..I went to Goodwill tonight and I hit the jackpot!  I found this awesome set (includes: flour jar, coffee jar, tea jar, sugar, creamer, and salt/pepper). It is an avacado green and on the bottom it says, "Hornsea England". Does anyone have any idea about these? They look like they are from the 60's or 70's...and are in excellent condition. Here's a picture:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2238/may2008087od0.jpg

I also found a great Raggedy Ann & Andy 3 piece child's dining set. It is marked 1969 as the year. They are also in great shape!

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/9137/may2008092jt3.jpg

I think everything came to a grand total of: $6.00!!! :o

I just love when I find neato things like that! :)

Oh..I also found about 5 black cast iron owl trivets (that added up to like $3.00). :D
I think nearly every house in the U.K had some bits of this pottery!  ;D  See this link.

http://www.worldcollectorsnet.com/hornseapottery/

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/03/08 at 10:41 pm

I think nearly every house in the U.K had some bits of this pottery!  ;D  See this link.

thanks for the link, Gis. Yes..I discovered that my set was made in the early 70's. It's so groovy and I love it. :)

Written By: Davester on 06/03/08 at 10:43 pm

Old stuff rocks...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/03/08 at 10:43 pm

Old stuff rocks...

karma..I agree! ;)

Written By: karen on 06/05/08 at 10:38 pm

My mum had one of those deer vases.  ::)

Not been to any tag sales this year yet.  Not much we want any more.  Just bought a Wii game system and lots of games from a friend.  The system was nearly new so we didn't get that much of a bargain.

Written By: Gis on 06/06/08 at 5:46 am

My mum had one of those deer vases.  ::)

Not been to any tag sales this year yet.  Not much we want any more.  Just bought a Wii game system and lots of games from a friend.  The system was nearly new so we didn't get that much of a bargain.
I was telling my dad about it when he called in and he knew what I meant staright away.  ;D

I did a trawl around the charity shops on my day off this week and only found a very cute/funny red plastic pig shapped money box, it's sitting rather than standing and made me laugh. Himself thought it was cool too and is now putting his small change in it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/08 at 1:52 pm

I think we are gonna hit some yard sales tomorrow morning...if it doesn't rain.

Written By: Gis on 06/06/08 at 3:06 pm

I think we are gonna hit some yard sales tomorrow morning...if it doesn't rain.
I'm going to an auction tomorrow. I've never been to one before so I'm really looking forward to it. It's a general household one not fine antiques so it should be more at my level if I should decide to buy!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/08 at 10:31 pm

I'm going to an auction tomorrow. I've never been to one before so I'm really looking forward to it. It's a general household one not fine antiques so it should be more at my level if I should decide to buy!

that sounds like fun!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 9:56 pm

So, I hit some yard sales this morning and I hit the jackpot! I went to this one that had this HUGE box of vintage/retro magnets. I bought 50 of them for my retro kitchen. I was so excited because just the other day I was wishing that I could find some for my fridge, w/o having to spend a fortune on Ebay!!! So..here they are:

This is the food grouping: cheese, egg, dozen eggs, ice cream cone, popcicle, chinese takeout, pizza, sandwich, rootbeer float, and hot dog.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/vintage%20and%20retro%20finds%20of%20mine/June2008001.jpg

This is the sign group: Texaco, Heinz, Campbells Soup, and 3 random saying signs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/vintage%20and%20retro%20finds%20of%20mine/June2008002.jpg

This is the appliance group: toaster, fridge, skillet, dishwasher, toaster oven, fan, blender, cheese grater, food processor, mixer, coffeepot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/vintage%20and%20retro%20finds%20of%20mine/June2008003.jpg

This is the famous icons group: Laurel (of Laurel & Hardy), Charlie Chaplin, The Three Stooges, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Felix the Cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/vintage%20and%20retro%20finds%20of%20mine/June2008004.jpg

This is the condiment group: ketchup, olives, Tabasco
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/vintage%20and%20retro%20finds%20of%20mine/June2008005.jpg

These next two sets are misc. retro/vintage ones: Florida Palm tree, McDonald's, Route 66 McDonald's, vintage cruise line, vintage baseball, vintage can, troll, bubblegum machine, bathtub, Tiki statue, Coke dispenser, Bingo board, vintage car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/vintage%20and%20retro%20finds%20of%20mine/June2008006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/vintage%20and%20retro%20finds%20of%20mine/June2008007.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/08 at 10:05 pm

Those are great, Erin. 

I hit a couple of yard sales today but there wasn't much.  It was cold and wet so not many people trying to sell.  I did hit one that had used shoes for $10 a pair...the same shoes I could buy at walmart, brand new no less, for the same price.  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 10:14 pm

Those are great, Erin. 

I hit a couple of yard sales today but there wasn't much.  It was cold and wet so not many people trying to sell.  I did hit one that had used shoes for $10 a pair...the same shoes I could buy at walmart, brand new no less, for the same price.  ::)

thanks! Oh, I hate when I can't find anything. It depresses me! Next week is a community yard sale...so I'm excited for that!! :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/08 at 10:58 pm

Those magnets are indeed awesome! 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 11:00 pm

Those magnets are indeed awesome! 8)

thanks Jason! :)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/08 at 11:03 pm

thanks! Oh, I hate when I can't find anything. It depresses me! Next week is a community yard sale...so I'm excited for that!! :)

I love community yard sales.  They are so much fun.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/08 at 11:04 pm

I love community yard sales.  They are so much fun.

me too! It's so nice to have one house after another to go to. The one we are attending next weekend is usually a good one...so I hope it will be next week. :)

Written By: Gis on 06/08/08 at 4:35 am

me too! It's so nice to have one house after another to go to. The one we are attending next weekend is usually a good one...so I hope it will be next week. :)
I love the food magnets,especially the egg!  ;D

Here is my cake stand, now I will have to serve proper elegant afternoon tea, though any excuse to eat cake is good. That's if my Mum doesn't 'borrow' my stand the minute she sees it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/08 at 10:44 pm

I love the food magnets,especially the egg!  ;D

Here is my cake stand, now I will have to serve proper elegant afternoon tea, though any excuse to eat cake is good. That's if my Mum doesn't 'borrow' my stand the minute she sees it.

that's quite lovely. :)

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/09/08 at 7:53 am

So, I hit some yard sales this morning and I hit the jackpot! I went to this one that had this HUGE box of vintage/retro magnets. I bought 50 of them for my retro kitchen. I was so excited because just the other day I was wishing that I could find some for my fridge, w/o having to spend a fortune on Ebay!!! So..here they are:

ummm, are you me?  ;D  I have been searching far and wide for cool vintage magnets for my fridge to go with my kitchen, not wanting to buy them on Ebay.  You certainly did hit the jackpot!!! I love those McDonald's magnets!! SCORE!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/09/08 at 9:25 pm

ummm, are you me?   ;D  I have been searching far and wide for cool vintage magnets for my fridge to go with my kitchen, not wanting to buy them on Ebay.  You certainly did hit the jackpot!!! I love those McDonald's magnets!! SCORE!

I'd like very much to send you a few...if you'd like that..PM me your address! I think a few of those would look great on your fridge!! :)

Written By: Gis on 06/10/08 at 2:51 am

I'd like very much to send you a few...if you'd like that..PM me your address! I think a few of those would look great on your fridge!! :)
Not the fried egg! you can't give away the fried egg it's way too cool!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/10/08 at 12:56 pm

Not the fried egg! you can't give away the fried egg it's way too cool!  ;D

hahaa...no, I think I'll keep the fried egg..it is pretty neato, huh?! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/08 at 2:24 am

Today I will be hitting the charity shops in order to seek out a bargain or two.

Written By: Gis on 06/12/08 at 3:23 am

Today I will be hitting the charity shops in order to seek out a bargain or two.
Good luck Philip! I hope you find great bargains!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/08 at 3:25 am

Real cheap bargains...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 11:24 am

This Saturday we are going to a community yard sale..I can't wait. I hope I find all sorts of goodies!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/08 at 12:00 pm

Picked up a real bargain. In a charity, that has connections of where you work, I found The "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" Offical Limerick Collection, signed by Tim Brooke-Taylor, Barry Cryer, Graeme Garden and Humphrey Lyttelton  :\'( for a bargain price of £3.99.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/12/08 at 2:02 pm

This Saturday we are going to a community yard sale..I can't wait. I hope I find all sorts of goodies!

I hope you do, too!  There are a bunch of sales around me too.  I'm so excited! LOL  I'm okay most of the work week, but by Thursday morning I have a burning desire to go thrifting/yard saling.  I look forward to it every week, never get sick of it. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/12/08 at 2:08 pm

Picked up a real bargain. In a charity, that has connections of where you work, I found The "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" Offical Limerick Collection, signed by Tim Brooke-Taylor, Barry Cryer, Graeme Garden and Humphrey Lyttelton  :\'( for a bargain price of £3.99.

That sounds like a good deal.  That title is the theme of my life.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/08 at 3:23 pm

That sounds like a good deal.  That title is the theme of my life.   ;D
"I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" is a cult radio comedy programme, which has a strong following in the UK. Recently the show suffered a loss when Humphrey Lyttelton sadly died a few weeks ago.

Written By: Gis on 06/12/08 at 3:28 pm

Well done you! Great Result.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/08 at 3:31 pm

I was happy to pay that price. My previous unsigned copy can head in another direction.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 11:01 pm

I hope you do, too!  There are a bunch of sales around me too.  I'm so excited! LOL  I'm okay most of the work week, but by Thursday morning I have a burning desire to go thrifting/yard saling.  I look forward to it every week, never get sick of it. 

oh me too! I get the same way. Sometimes Vaughn and I will go to some yard sales on Friday morning (ones in the area). I hope I find lots of neat (and cheap) stuff! Oh..btw, I sent out your package today! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/08 at 1:33 am

Today is the Friday and that means Portobello Market!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/13/08 at 2:20 am

"I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" is a cult radio comedy programme, which has a strong following in the UK. Recently the show suffered a loss when Humphrey Lyttelton sadly died a few weeks ago.

I decided to give it a listen on youtube.  I can see why it would popular.  Quite fun!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/08 at 2:25 am

I decided to give it a listen on youtube.  I can see why it would popular.  Quite fun!   :)
Improvisional comedy at its best.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/13/08 at 2:27 am

Improvisional comedy at its best.

Along the same lines as "Whose line is it anyway?", I've seen both the British version and (of course) the American knock-off.  Laughed my butt off numerously for both shows. 

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/13/08 at 9:42 am

oh me too! I get the same way. Sometimes Vaughn and I will go to some yard sales on Friday morning (ones in the area). I hope I find lots of neat (and cheap) stuff! Oh..btw, I sent out your package today! :)

You are awesome.  Thank you again!! :) Yours is going out tomorrow, it's tough for me to get the post office during the week :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/08 at 3:08 pm

I may go to Camden Town tomorrow to see what the area is like for bargains on a non-market day.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/12/09 at 9:55 pm

Went to a church flea market today (there were lots and lots of people there (I'm surprised!)) 

I bought:

a bracelet that had several foreign coins on it.  I'm still trying to determine if they are real coins that someone drilled holes in, and just what kind they are.  I like the bracelet whether it's real coins or not.

A mousepad that apparently was given out as recruiting material for the U. S. Navy.  My hubby was a proud sailor, so I bought it for a quarter.

A picture of a cat standing on the back of a turtle.  It's weird (like me) and it was cheap.  So I bought it.  lol

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer for Fair Skin.  I wanted to try this anyway, so there was a bottle at the sale.  It's supposed to give you a tan with daily use.  I guess we'll see.

Two pieces of computer software: Siberia 1 and Siberia 2 - I've played through Syberia 1 already (but Siberia 2 was too expensive (over $40) so I never bought it.  At the sale both software cost a total of $3.  So I am happy. 

I hope to go to two other church sales tomorrow.  I am yard sale addicted.

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/09 at 10:04 pm

Love those magnets Erin!!! thanks to Patti I just found this thread!!!

Anywho- I had a yard a sale with friend the other day - I sold my elliptical, a microwave, two digital cameras, a dvd player and vcr for $127.

but, in her stuff,  I found a bunch of AV wires she let me have YAY and this bank:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/1fbd0187-1.jpg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/12/09 at 10:43 pm

Sweet nibblets, that's a cute bank!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/09 at 10:52 pm

Sweet nibblets, that's a cute bank!  ;D

;D  that's funny!

It has a battery compartment so I think it talks but I have tried it out yet.  There was some man who took the California raisins bank before I saw it...and some other novelty character I've since forgotten about.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/13/09 at 1:15 am

;D  that's funny!

It has a battery compartment so I think it talks but I have tried it out yet.  There was some man who took the California raisins bank before I saw it...and some other novelty character I've since forgotten about.

Curses!  The California Raisins bank would have been awesome as well.  I loved those little guys (and all claymation) back in the day.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/09 at 6:49 am

Love those magnets Erin!!! thanks to Patti I just found this thread!!!

Anywho- I had a yard a sale with friend the other day - I sold my elliptical, a microwave, two digital cameras, a dvd player and vcr for $127.

but, in her stuff,  I found a bunch of AV wires she let me have YAY and this bank:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/1fbd0187-1.jpg

That's a bank?  :o

Written By: snozberries on 06/13/09 at 10:42 am

That's a bank?  :o

yes. there's a slot on the back of the head to put money in

Written By: Gis on 06/13/09 at 1:27 pm

He's awesome, I love it!

Patty sounds like you had a great haul, I wish they had more sales like that round here....

Written By: snozberries on 06/13/09 at 1:37 pm

Went to a church flea market today (there were lots and lots of people there (I'm surprised!)) 

I bought:

a bracelet that had several foreign coins on it.  I'm still trying to determine if they are real coins that someone drilled holes in, and just what kind they are.  I like the bracelet whether it's real coins or not.

A mousepad that apparently was given out as recruiting material for the U. S. Navy.  My hubby was a proud sailor, so I bought it for a quarter.

A picture of a cat standing on the back of a turtle.  It's weird (like me) and it was cheap.  So I bought it.  lol

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer for Fair Skin.  I wanted to try this anyway, so there was a bottle at the sale.  It's supposed to give you a tan with daily use.  I guess we'll see.

Two pieces of computer software: Siberia 1 and Siberia 2 - I've played through Syberia 1 already (but Siberia 2 was too expensive (over $40) so I never bought it.  At the sale both software cost a total of $3.  So I am happy. 

I hope to go to two other church sales tomorrow.  I am yard sale addicted.

good stuff... I am similarly addicted....did I tell you I call it going saleing.... to the ear it sounds like I'm going sailing...as in boats but really I'm going saleing as in yards!  ;D
feel free to borrow it!  ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/13/09 at 6:45 pm

Hey Y'all!

I'm always looking for more Michael Jackson and Prince memorobilia. Do you think a yard sale would be a nice place to find stuff?

Written By: Howard on 06/14/09 at 6:39 am

Hey Y'all!

I'm always looking for more Michael Jackson and Prince memorobilia. Do you think a yard sale would be a nice place to find stuff?

I'm pretty sure you can find it.

Written By: snozberries on 06/14/09 at 10:30 am

Hey Y'all!

yard sales maybe.... more than likely in thrift stores tho.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/09 at 11:25 am

There's a Thrift store on Lancaster were the proceeds go to a women's shelter.  It's small but the stuff in there is really nice. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/14/09 at 11:57 am

Went to 2 more church sales (not I didn't buy a church this time)  ;D and either went to or drove past (sometimes I'll just drive past if all that it looks like they have is sports-related stuff, baby clothes/stuff or a bunch of clothes that I know won't fit me,) 9 more yard/garage sales yesterday.  I left hubby at home asleep.  He likes them too, and usually will buy alot more then I do at them (I think mostly to be nice, although one way to guarantee a sale from him is to just talk to him - He loves talking and being talked to.  If you just ignore him, or don't make an effort to talk to him, he'll leave without buying something.)

I bought:

A giant red purse (leather) - since I feel the need to carry darn near a suitcase, and my current purse is getting raggedy.  $5

A book of poetry (from the publishing company that puts out a magazine called "Ideals", it's kind of a nostalgia type company where people can enter their original poetry for publication.  It always has such pretty pictures.)  $1

A small spray of Black Raspberry Vanilla body spray for 50 cents, and 2 small travel bottles of Nutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash for 50 cents.

One yard sale the fellow I talked to just gave me a tin full of buttons for free (I'm not sure why, other then probably, like my hubby, he just wanted to be talked to.)  My grandma used to have a tin of buttons that I used to run my fingers through.  So it brings back good memories.

Written By: snozberries on 06/14/09 at 12:03 pm

Went to 2 more church sales (not I didn't buy a church this time)  ;D and either went to or drove past (sometimes I'll just drive past if all that it looks like they have is sports-related stuff, baby clothes/stuff or a bunch of clothes that I know won't fit me,) 9 more yard/garage sales yesterday.  I left hubby at home asleep.  He likes them too, and usually will buy alot more then I do at them (I think mostly to be nice, although one way to guarantee a sale from him is to just talk to him - He loves talking and being talked to.  If you just ignore him, or don't make an effort to talk to him, he'll leave without buying something.)

I bought:

A giant red purse (leather) - since I feel the need to carry darn near a suitcase, and my current purse is getting raggedy.  $5

A book of poetry (from the publishing company that puts out a magazine called "Ideals", it's kind of a nostalgia type company where people can enter their original poetry for publication.  It always has such pretty pictures.)  $1

A small spray of Black Raspberry Vanilla body spray for 50 cents, and 2 small travel bottles of Nutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash for 50 cents.

One yard sale the fellow I talked to just gave me a tin full of buttons for free (I'm not sure why, other then probably, like my hubby, he just wanted to be talked to.)  My grandma used to have a tin of buttons that I used to run my fingers through.  So it brings back good memories.

OMG I would love to buy a church and convert into a residence!  think of all the fun way you could desecrate it!  Ala Homer Simpson!  ;D

Great finds...especially the buttons! Bring your hubby my sale I'll talk to him!

When my friends and I were having the sale Bryan - we've been friends for years and have the same sick sense of humor would tell people outrageous prices for stuff... That's$50 it's an antique....  ;D  it would be a crappy basket with plastic flowers or 2009 calendar...didn't matter. some people thought he was serious (or crazy) 

then he sold this desk chair to this woman (man?) I couldn't tell... and as s/he was wheeling it down the drive Bryan said "Enjoy it! I've had some great times in that chair!"  I swear the look on the persons face I was waiting for a request of a refund!  ;D ;D ;D I couldn't stop laughing Bryan a kick!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/14/09 at 3:50 pm

Hey thanks for the advice. But there are no thrift places in town, unless you wanna count the Goodwill.  :)

There was one, but all the stuff they had was crappy. Really crappy and no MJ stuff. I bother the heck out of my friend who runs themovie memrobilia place in the mall. I ask him about Michael so much, he even knows my voice over the phone. But hey when you have a near mint Thriller poster for sale for 12 dollars, you're automatcially gonna be my friend!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 06/14/09 at 4:03 pm

Hey thanks for the advice. But there are no thrift places in town, unless you wanna count the Goodwill.  :)

There was one, but all the stuff they had was crappy. Really crappy and no MJ stuff. I bother the heck out of my friend who runs themovie memrobilia place in the mall. I ask him about Michael so much, he even knows my voice over the phone. But hey when you have a near mint Thriller poster for sale for 12 dollars, you're automatcially gonna be my friend!  ;)

do you ever go to nearby towns? or what about the big city....take a saturday (or weekday if you're all off cuz weekdays are more fun to do this)
gather up your wacky friends and go to the biggest city near you and hit all the thrift stores in the area...it's make a fun day of shopping...think of all the fun you can have laughing at all the wacky stuff you'll find... and then you can all go to lunch and laugh some more....

then you can come home and blog about it!  ;D

Also, try swap meets/flea markets (those are usually weekends only) you'll find a new fun hobby and you may find a treasure or two....of the Prince/MJ variety that is.  ;)

Written By: anabel on 06/17/09 at 5:00 am

I stop sometimes too, if it looks like good stuff.

But you have to be careful!  Once a few months ago, Matthew and I stopped at one and I noticed that 2 men were arguing in the driveway.  Come to find out, it was the owner of the house and his next door neighbor, and the owner of the house had called the police over a disagreement they were having.  It started geting ugly so we got out of there quick!

Written By: Howard on 06/17/09 at 5:38 am

I stop sometimes too, if it looks like good stuff.

But you have to be careful!  Once a few months ago, Matthew and I stopped at one and I noticed that 2 men were arguing in the driveway.  Come to find out, it was the owner of the house and his next door neighbor, and the owner of the house had called the police over a disagreement they were having.  It started geting ugly so we got out of there quick!

You don't remember what they were arguing about?

Written By: Midas on 06/24/09 at 3:23 pm

I probably need to have a yard sale.  We have stuff in the garage that needs to go - an entertainment center shelf unit, 27" TV, DVD/VCR combo player...I used to use Craigslist for stuff but I've heard some not-so-good stories lately. :(

Last yard sale I had last year I made $250. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/24/09 at 6:07 pm

I'll take your t.v., my t.v. has a high-pitched squeal to it.  8-P  Too bad you are out west.  :(

I might get one at a thrift store after payday for $50. 

Written By: snozberries on 06/24/09 at 8:38 pm

I probably need to have a yard sale.  We have stuff in the garage that needs to go - an entertainment center shelf unit, 27" TV, DVD/VCR combo player...I used to use Craigslist for stuff but I've heard some not-so-good stories lately. :(

Last yard sale I had last year I made $250. :)

AZ is a good place for yard sales! they have them in the middle of the week there!  :o  its crazy.  but I love checking them out  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/09 at 9:56 pm

I found a cassette and vinyl LP copy of the compilation album '1980-83' by UB40. 

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/09 at 10:51 am

I should go look for sales today but I don't feel like driving aimlessly... I don't suppose there will be any point going out on the fourth of july huh?

Check for new replies or respond here...