inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: After fire- what natural disasters have you experienced?

Written By: KKay on 03/13/06 at 8:50 am

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/images/live/94/187870.jpg
75 acres of land around my home burned down on Saturday.  This is typical for the beach grass surrounding us- it's a nature preserve and a few days of dry air can bring some bad flames (although this time they say it's arson).
What natural disasters are typical for your area?  Are you pestered by earthquakes or tornados?  And why don't you move?
We'll get through 4 or 5 fires a year here.

Subject: Re: After fire- what natural disasters have you experienced?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/13/06 at 10:57 am

Where I'm living now, we've had some flooding from the heavy rains of the past two weeks...but nothing too serious...

I have lived through many typhoons though...and an 8.2 earthquake!  :o

Written By: nally on 03/13/06 at 10:59 am

The only natural disasters I've experienced are earthquakes, the biggest of which I experienced 12 years ago (6.7 Richter magnitude). Earthquakes are typical for California, given that the San Andreas Fault runs through the state.

Why don't we move? Because we enjoy living near the ocean. :) And our foundations are in the state of California.

Written By: Tia on 03/13/06 at 11:26 am

I was in a flood in the 70s. I was a little kid and thought it was fun, but my parents were less amused. The water stopped six inches from our house.

I was driving in Fairfax during a rainstorm once and someone comes on the radio, IF YOU'RE DRIVING IN FAIRFAX PULL OVER! PULL OVER RIGHT NOW! TORNADOES! THERE ARE TORNADOES EVERYWHERE!! WE'RE NOT KIDDING!!!" but I just kept driving and everything was fine.

Written By: La Roche on 03/13/06 at 11:28 am

I live right on top of the biggest fault line in North America. The New Madrid fault line.
We tend to get earthquakes most day's actually, but a lot of them are hardly noticeable.

I've sat through two large earthquakes, one of which shook a lamp off the table in the house.

When the New Madrid fault finally goes big time, I'll be dead for sure.
Last time it went, a large part the Mississippi river flowed backwards.

From what Geologists say, when it goes, Memphis and St. Louis won't exist.

We get Tornado's all the time.
Over the weekend we were under a warning 24/7

Why don't I move?

Actually I am  ;D

Written By: karen on 03/13/06 at 11:29 am

Minor earthquakes are about as exciting as it gets.  The occasional really heavy snowfall (the last of these being over ten years ago).

That's why I like Britain!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/06 at 11:46 am

The Great Storm of 1987.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/13/06 at 12:00 pm

Blizzard of '78

http://www.myweatherdata.com/mwd/pics/bliz78/pic4.jpg

Written By: KKay on 03/13/06 at 12:08 pm

Of course we get floods and terrible snow here...but inmy neck of the woods the fires are the most dangerous thing and it happens annually...whydon't we move?  great town, great beach, and preserved land in a land infested with contractors.

NEWS FLASH!!!!
Who started huge brushfire in Great Kills?
Investigators think blaze was deliberately set and are seeking your help
Monday, March 13, 2006
By DOUG AUER
STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE

Fire marshals believe a five-alarm brush fire that burned through 75 acres of Great Kills Park and endangered nearby homes was set deliberately.

"It does appear to be incendiary and intentionally set," said Assistant Chief Fire Marshal Richard McCahey about Saturday's blaze. "Several smaller fires were apparently set early on, which led to the larger fire."
Advertisement

Flames were first reported at about 4:58 p.m. in various spots a few hundred feet east of the Buffalo Street entrance to the park. By 7:27 p.m., the blaze had escalated into a five-alarm inferno.

FDNY officials said the fire was bound by Buffalo on the west, and spread to an area situated between Brook Avenue and Grayson Street on the north and Riga Street and Merkel Place on the south, all in Oakwood.

McCahey said that fire marshals will be ringing doorbells today and tomorrow, asking residents if they noticed any suspicious persons or activity prior to the fire.

McCahey said that when the blaze began, fire marshals were in the area looking into a previous tip.

"We got a complaint from an unidentified neighbor who saw kids setting fires in the vicinity of Buffalo Street earlier in the week," said McCahey. "So we already had two squads investigating before it hit a second alarm."

More than 50 fire vehicles and an estimated 230 firefighters responded -- beating back the burning brush for nearly five hours before finally bringing the blaze under control at about 8:52 p.m. The last of the smoldering embers were extinguished by 9:40 p.m.

"It was a nasty brush fire," said one firefighter who declined to be named. "It was one area, but it covered a lot of ground where the cattails were high."

Some residents evacuated the area, while others defied Police and Fire Department orders, using garden hoses to assist in the fight.

Written By: Tia on 03/13/06 at 12:13 pm

I remember talking with someone at a party where setting brushfires would be a good terrorist tactic, not as scary as something like 911 but cheap, easy to do, very destructive and in the long run could really tax American infrastructure.

Written By: KKay on 03/13/06 at 12:59 pm

I remember talking with someone at a party where setting brushfires would be a good terrorist tactic, not as scary as something like 911 but cheap, easy to do, very destructive and in the long run could really tax American infrastructure.

Once I heard that trucks were coming over from Brooklyn, that crossed my mind!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/13/06 at 1:00 pm

Blizzard of '78

I remember hearing about that!  :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/13/06 at 1:11 pm

honestly...we really aren't threatened by too many natural disasters here in Pennsylvania. Every now and then we see a tornado...but it's not that common.  We have flooding sometimes, when it has rained a great deal....but other than that...it's pretty safe.

Written By: KKay on 03/13/06 at 1:12 pm

honestly...we really aren't threatened by too many natural disasters here in Pennsylvania. Every now and then we see a tornado...but it's not that common.  We have flooding sometimes, when it has rained a great deal....but other than that...it's pretty safe.

OK!!! You heard it...we're all moving to your house!!!!

Written By: Paul on 03/13/06 at 2:07 pm

I have lived through many typhoons though...and an 8.2 earthquake!  :o

Hubby's snoring particulary bad that night, eh...?!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/13/06 at 2:08 pm

Hubby's snoring particulary bad that night, eh...?!!

ROFL!  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/13/06 at 2:12 pm

California earthquakes

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 2:57 pm

Ice Storm '98 was the biggest natural disaster to hit here in a long time. 

For six days, freezing rain coated Eastern Canada with 3-4 Inches of Ice and also struck parts of New York and New England. 

http://www.geocities.com/whistlejdog/icestorm19981.JPG http://www.geocities.com/whistlejdog/icestorm19982.JPG

It destroyed power lines, wrecked homes, buildings, streets and left over 4 million people without power for weeks (some areas didn't get power for over a month).  Many people died during the freezing rain, some died of hypothermia from the cold, while others died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning from Generators they were using to heat/power their homes.

The 2005 song "Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)" by The Arcade Fire was written about this tragedy

Written By: Howard on 03/13/06 at 3:33 pm

Hurricane Gloria (September 22nd,1985)
Blizzard Of 96,06'

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/06 at 3:40 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: nally on 03/13/06 at 3:50 pm

Oh...we've also experienced floods. Most notably, the rainstorms of last year, which resulted in a mudslide in La Conchita, a very small community located west of Ventura, and southeast of Santa Barbara. It's tiny because it's situated at the base of a hill, and Highway 101 separates it from the Pacific Ocean.

Written By: La Roche on 03/13/06 at 11:43 pm

We just got rain during that storm-but about 20 miles north of here- :-\\

I have been in a 5.8 earthquake when I was in Greece (there were tremors almost every day). When Hurracane Gilbert hit Texas, we got the tornados from that-they missed our house by 10 miles.  :o  Still a little too close for my comfort.

Here, we may get tornados but if we do, they are so small that we usually don't know if was in fact a tornado or just a big gust of wind. And of course we do get snow. The most I remember was exactly 13 years ago today in 1993. I can't remember how much snow we got (tried to look it up but couldn't find it). I went out in it the next day and where it wasn't plowed I sunk into it up to my hips  :o NO JOKE! But I heard that Vermont was the only state on the east coast that did not declare a state of emergency.

Don't be so sure about no big Tornado's in Vermont.
I sat through what was reported as the biggest Tornado in the history of Connecticut, that was easily as big as any I've seen out here in the Mid-West. The thing is, Connecticut really isn't supposed to get big Tornado's.. a lot of people didn't really know what one could do  :o

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/13/06 at 11:46 pm

I've been through quite a few hurricanes/tropical systems when they breeze up from the panhandle of Florida, but fortunately it's just rain and gusty winds, and nothing NEAR what the people who got the intial impact had to go through.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/14/06 at 3:17 am

The biggest diasters I've lived through are Earthquakes. And those were hardly anything to be called disasterous on my neck of the woods. It was just some shaking for us. Nothing big time. We;ve had some flooding, but not like up north near Sacramento and upwards.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/06 at 1:44 pm

Don't be so sure about no big Tornado's in Vermont.
I sat through what was reported as the biggest Tornado in the history of Connecticut, that was easily as big as any I've seen out here in the Mid-West. The thing is, Connecticut really isn't supposed to get big Tornado's.. a lot of people didn't really know what one could do  :o

There is a mini "Tornado Alley" in parts of Mass, parts of Conn, & parts of NY. We hear about tornados hitting in that area all the time. We don't get big ones here because they don't get too much of chance to develop into big ones because of the mountains.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/21/06 at 3:49 pm

just 7 minutes ago we had a 3.7 earthquake and it shook our bouilding, it was very qucik. having fun here in Nor-Cal

Written By: La Roche on 03/21/06 at 3:52 pm

just 7 minutes ago we had a 3.7 earthquake and it shook our bouilding, it was very qucik. having fun here in Nor-Cal

Annoying eh.

We had a 2. something a couple days ago.

It's been quiet recently.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/21/06 at 4:11 pm

Annoying eh.

We had a 2. something a couple days ago.

It's been quiet recently.
yeah, quite annoying, and of course the buzz is(is the Big One coming?) we felt this one pretty good, but my wife maybe 20mile away didn't feel a thing.  the epicenter was probaby 20-25 miles from me, as long as they stay small like, that, I'm cool. I just don't like them in the middle of the night

Written By: gemini on 03/21/06 at 4:27 pm

Blizzard of '78

I remember that mess, not too fun for a 17 year old to be stuck in the house with her parents  ;)

Also, the tornado, April 3, 1974. I'll remember that day like it was yesterday.  :(

Written By: La Roche on 03/21/06 at 4:28 pm

yeah, quite annoying, and of course the buzz is(is the Big One coming?) we felt this one pretty good, but my wife maybe 20mile away didn't feel a thing.  the epicenter was probaby 20-25 miles from me, as long as they stay small like, that, I'm cool. I just don't like them in the middle of the night

Yeah, I don't like the night one's.

I think you get more of them than we do, but we tend to get slightly bigger one's.

I'm not sure.

I know the California fault is a lot more active, but it's also smaller.

You guy's have the same problem.. when it goes.. it's all over  ;D

Written By: lorac614 on 03/21/06 at 4:43 pm

Luckily, the area I live in is pretty calm.  We're buffered by the mountains so tornadoes are rare.  We're so far inland that hurricanes usually have no negative effects on the region, maybe some heavy rain.  The summer months bring severe thunderstorms but that's pretty normal.  And unless you live near a river you won't be bothered by flash flooding.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/06 at 4:51 pm

I remember that mess, not too fun for a 17 year old to be stuck in the house with her parents  ;)

Also, the tornado, April 3, 1974. I'll remember that day like it was yesterday.  :(

I wonder if my Mother remembers that tornado on the news since her birthday was the next day.

Check for new replies or respond here...