inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Love kids? Wanna have some?

Written By: KKay on 03/14/06 at 1:00 pm

I don't.  I like my relatives' kids SOMETIMES.
and I don't look to having my own in the future. 
BUT that's just me.
those of you with no kids...are you looking forward to it?
To a person who is set in her ways, not lookiing to further disrupt her life, what's your take?

Subject: Re: Love kids? Wanna have some?

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/14/06 at 1:16 pm

I'm not really looking forward to it.  I kinda doubt I'll have any.

Written By: KKay on 03/14/06 at 1:20 pm

I'm not really looking forward to it.  I kinda doubt I'll have any.

right...I thinkwe'll find a lot of that.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/14/06 at 1:34 pm

I'm just glad that a thread with this title isn't on the Wanted/Selling board  ;D  ;D

Written By: KKay on 03/14/06 at 1:37 pm

I'm just glad that a thread with this title isn't on the Wanted/Selling board  ;D  ;D

I'm sure, now that you mentioned it, something like that will show up.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/14/06 at 2:31 pm

Once you got them you can't help but like them, but they are a world of worry and you will never have a truly sound sleep from
the day they are born.    :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/14/06 at 2:33 pm

Once you got them you can't help but like them, but they are a world of worry and you will never have a truly sound sleep from
the day they are born.    :-\\

Those are very true words!!

Written By: Paul on 03/14/06 at 2:47 pm

^
No thank you...I've already had dinner!

Seriously, no...I've never had any paternal 'stirrings' (and at nearly 40, I don't think I ever will...!)

Written By: KKay on 03/14/06 at 2:52 pm

^
No thank you...I've already had dinner!

Seriously, no...I've never had any paternal 'stirrings' (and at nearly 40, I don't think I ever will...!)

SAme here. I"m 40 and it never even occurred to me- i never ever thought about marriage- it never crossed my mind. I did it, and it was hard without that "ideal wedding i dreamed of since I was a child".  I have never seen my self in a parental role either...i'm sure there are lots of people that will maintain the population (which is, i  feel, way too high).

Written By: Howard on 03/14/06 at 2:55 pm

Robin doesn't want any kids at all.With both of our disabilities,We might have one crazy messed up kid.She can't have kids anyway cause she has a vein in her foot that If she gets pregnant,It'll swell up like a balloon. :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/06 at 3:06 pm

I always wanted kids but it just wasn't in the cards for me.  :\'(  I'm actually ok with that for the most part (but there are days....) But I am lucky, I have the benefits of being a grandparent without the headache of being a parent.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/14/06 at 3:08 pm

I always wanted kids but it just wasn't in the cards for me.  :\'(  I'm actually ok with that for the most part (but there are days....) But I am lucky, I have the benefits of being a grandparent without the headache of being a parent.  ;D

Cat

How old are your grandkids? :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/06 at 3:13 pm

How old are your grandkids? :)

2 and 1/2 and 1

Ok, ok. I'm bragging.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/14/06 at 3:15 pm

2 and 1/2 and 1

Ok, ok. I'm bragging.  ;D

Cat

That's beautiful.You have such lovely grandkids. ;)

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/14/06 at 3:38 pm

I agree. Lovely picture.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/14/06 at 3:44 pm

I agree. Lovely picture.

Thanks. Like I have said before, I can't take credit for them but I most certainly can brag about them.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 03/14/06 at 3:51 pm

I don't like children, and I'm not fit to be a father.

So no, I don't plan to.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/14/06 at 7:43 pm

I say no now, but I don't know what the future will bring. I mean, imagining Christmas' without kids.. seems kind of empty to me. I don't mind children much.. it's babies and toddlers that I can't stand.

Written By: Apricot on 03/14/06 at 7:51 pm

I say no now, but I don't know what the future will bring. I mean, imagining Christmas' without kids.. seems kind of empty to me. I don't mind children much.. it's babies and toddlers that I can't stand.

Christmas is really for the children.. however, I think I deal with a few weird holidays to not have that sort of responsibilty and stress.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/14/06 at 7:52 pm

Christmas is really for the children.. however, I think I deal with a few weird holidays to not have that sort of responsibilty and stress.

I wouldn't mind adopting a child.. one that's 5 or 6. Once they're past the toddler age, they become less annoying.

Written By: La Roche on 03/14/06 at 8:29 pm

Yeah, I want a couple.
I might buy some really good one's that have already proved themselves because I don't think I could find a mate that would meet my high breeding standards...

;D!

But seriously, Yeah, I'd love to have a couple, I know i'd kick ass as a Dad.

Written By: Tia on 03/14/06 at 8:51 pm

yeah, i'd like to adopt em after they're at least old enough to old a basic conversation. toddlers are fun to visit but GOD, they're little torture/interrogation machines.

Written By: La Roche on 03/14/06 at 8:56 pm

yeah, i'd like to adopt em after they're at least old enough to old a basic conversation. toddlers are fun to visit but GOD, they're little torture/interrogation machines.

I've considerd that, I'd want my own to be honest though.

Written By: KKay on 03/14/06 at 9:11 pm

I've considerd that, I'd want my own to be honest though.

well boys.  I admire you for your desire for family.  can I be a god-parent?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/14/06 at 9:38 pm

Well...I always used to love children, and looked forward to having at least one or two.....having a child of my own never happened, and I am 29 years old. To most...that is not that old...but to me, I vowed to myself that if I didn't have one by the time I was 30...then I most likely wouldn't think of having one....I just never wanted to be an old parent.  Chris and I have been raising my nephew, Vaughn for the past 2 years...and it has really changed my perspective a lot. He is a very strong-willed, demanding type of child...and he really drains my energy...honestly, I don't know if I could handle having a baby, along with Vaughn (who is almost 4). :o  I guess if it is meant to happen then it will...but who knows?

Written By: Tia on 03/14/06 at 9:55 pm

a bizarre question that's been in the back of my mind lately... if two people have a child when they're older, does that make the child 'older' in a way? or does it make no difference?

like, does it matter if you get born out of an older sperm and an older egg?

Written By: KKay on 03/14/06 at 9:56 pm

a bizarre question that's been in the back of my mind lately... if two people have a child when they're older, does that make the child 'older' in a way? or does it make no difference?

what the/......

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/14/06 at 10:01 pm

I think it is all in how the child is raised. I know of people who have parents who had them late in their life, and they were already set in their ways...and the child ended up being very mature, somewhat of a homebody type of person.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/14/06 at 10:05 pm

I don't know if I want kids.  Right now, I can't stand them, and anytime they come into an establishment that I'm in, I try to get as far from them as I can.  It seems like every kid I've ever come across in public is rude, loud and disobedient. 

Written By: Tia on 03/14/06 at 10:28 pm

what the/......
i told you it was a weird question.

still, think about it though. you'd still be newborn when you were born, but you'd be starting from older stuff. so wouldn't you be older too, in a sense?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/14/06 at 11:19 pm

i told you it was a weird question.

still, think about it though. you'd still be newborn when you were born, but you'd be starting from older stuff. so wouldn't you be older too, in a sense?

No. 

I haven't seen any scientific or medical evidence to show that if you're born to an older couple, you are in any way "older".

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/14/06 at 11:41 pm

I'm 18.  My father is 58 and my mother is 49.

Written By: Gis on 03/15/06 at 1:34 am

My reply to the question is God no !
I have never had a maternal stirring yet and I'm 37 now. I used to hate babies, now I don't mind them and am happy to cuddle and coo over my friend's little ones, but I'm also very happy to give them back !!
I have one nephew who I love with every inch of my being, he's an amazing kid but even he hasn't made me feel in the slightest bit broody.    ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 7:06 am

This is a very valid question, and one with an answer.
They have found that the incidence of schizophrenia in a child increases with the age of the father, and the incidence of Downs syndrome increases with the age of the mother

Written By: karen on 03/15/06 at 7:34 am

A quick glance at my anatomy book shows that sperm is manufactured continually after puberty so there is always a fresh supply.  However a woman is born with her ovaries containing a fixed number of immature eggs.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 7:40 am

A quick glance at my anatomy book shows that sperm is manufactured continually after puberty so there is always a fresh supply.

I have heard that anything a man ingests can affect his sperm.  A man exposed to carcinogens can have mutated sperm which can
cause birth defects, the same way a woman exposed to carcinogens can pass the affects on to the fetus.

Written By: karen on 03/15/06 at 7:46 am

I have heard that anything a man ingests can affect his sperm.  A man exposed to carcinogens can have mutated sperm which can
cause birth defects, the same way a woman exposed to carcinogens can pass the affects on to the fetus.

There are certain chemicals that can mutate either sperm or the egg to cause birth defects.  I can't recall the correct name of them at the moment.

Written By: karen on 03/15/06 at 7:49 am

To answer the thread

I have two children and wouldn't be without them despite the hard work they undoubtably are at times.

I always thought I would like to have children.  My husband (who is an only child himself) was undecided for quite a while, especially because a lot of our friends didn't have children.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 8:52 am

I'm finding as I get older that I have less patience for other kids' misbehavior, though :-\\

You should have been at Burger King with me yesterday!  The three women, each with one child, chattering on and on
while their kids whined, cried, fought, it was awful, and the moms were just oblivious.  I finally went over to them and
said, "please, this just has to stop"  They glared at me! Can you imagine?  They left with the kids, but left their mess all
over the place.  I am tired of people who have kids, then abnegate the responsibility of raising them. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/06 at 9:41 am

Don't count on it....once they get past 5 or 6, you get to deal with attitude ;D

As many of you know, I have 3 boys.  I'm one of those strange people who LOVED when they were babies/toddlers.  However, I think my kids are pretty well behaved when I compare them to some of their friends and other kids I see out in public.  At restaurants, I've had people stop at our table to commend us on how well behaved our kids are.  One older couple even bought us dessert one time because they saw us come in with the 3 and thought their dinner was going to be constantly interrupted. :o  I'm finding as I get older that I have less patience for other kids' misbehavior, though :-\\

You should have been at Burger King with me yesterday!  The three women, each with one child, chattering on and on
while their kids whined, cried, fought, it was awful, and the moms were just oblivious.  I finally went over to them and
said, "please, this just has to stop"  They glared at me! Can you imagine?  They left with the kids, but left their mess all
over the place.  I am tired of people who have kids, then abnegate the responsibility of raising them. 

I totally agree. I heard this story (from a waitress) about a kid who would hide under the table and almost tripped the waitress when she had a tray of food. And the parents didn't do anything.  >:(  I can't believe that some parents don't care.

My step-daughter is doing a WONDERFUL job with her daughter. She is in the "terrible twos" but she is far from terrible. Yes, she tests, but her mom doesn't let her get very far with it. When she started to walk, she was taught to put things back where she finds them-and she does.  :o  When we are in restaurants, we get a lot of complements because she is so well behaved. (Yeah, I'm bragging again. I can't say enough how great my step-daughter is as a mother.)

Cat

Written By: Tia on 03/15/06 at 9:52 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=14517;type=avatar

does this mean i look smart? :)

Written By: KKay on 03/15/06 at 9:53 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=14517;type=avatar

does this mean i look smart? :)

Well,,,, Tia does.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/15/06 at 11:01 am

To answer the thread

I have two children and wouldn't be without them despite the hard work they undoubtably are at times.

I always thought I would like to have children.  My husband (who is an only child himself) was undecided for quite a while...

You sound exactly like me, karen...(even down to the part where your husband is an only child)... :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/15/06 at 11:04 am

I'm finding as I get older that I have less patience for other kids' misbehavior, though :-\\

I'm finding as I get older that I have less patience, period!  :o

Written By: gemini on 03/15/06 at 11:47 am

So, you're not interested in the  long nights, Doctor bills, dentist bills, skinned knees, broken hearts, fender benders, attitudes, prom dresses, college fees, etc...... It's a big barrell of fun, I promise!  ;D
I knew I wanted kids long before I was even married, and I don't have any regrets, except, I wish I would've waited a few more years before I had my first. I was 22, I think waiting 5 more years would've been ok, but, it's been a blast and the worst part for me, was last weekend when my oldest moved out.  :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/15/06 at 11:59 am

I should add that my husband would really love to have a child...much more than I would. He comes from a large family (he is one of 9 children), and a lot of his brothers/sisters already have one or more children...so, I don't know if it's that he feels left out or what....he has a TON of nieces and nephews though.  Although even if today I were to say, "ok, I want to have a child"...I don't think it will be the easiest thing for me to get pregnant (due to hereditary and physical stuff). :-\\

Written By: Tia on 03/15/06 at 12:06 pm

okay, y'all talked me into it. i want a kid now.

I'm now taking applications from volunteers. PM me if you want to have my baby.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/15/06 at 12:07 pm

okay, y'all talked me into it. i want a kid now.

I'm now taking applications from volunteers. PM me if you want to have my baby.

hahaha...that one definitely deserved some karma! ;)

Written By: KKay on 03/15/06 at 12:32 pm

What I really miss is family events. My family is spread out all over the US and the world. Its likely we'll never have sunday dinners and bbqs again together.  I sometimes think if I want that, I have to make it myself.
But I"m too set in my ways and getting older every day.
The house next door to me is for sale...maybe a cool familiy will move in and I can babaysit?
(and use the pool?)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/15/06 at 2:10 pm

Part of me wants children and the other half me worries of all the changes and expenses of having a child would be. I guess it's because I'm not very financially secure. So, having a child would cause a lot of damage when it came to expenses. I'd hate to burden my child of not giving them or providing them with what they need. Yet, if I became more financially stable, I think having a child would seem much more probable. When my mate and I started dating he seemed against having children, but now he seems to have softened a bit. I don't know for sure if he'd change his mind, but I wouldn't mind having a child or two down the road once we both got settled in.

Written By: YWN on 03/15/06 at 3:35 pm

"Love kids? Wanna have some?"

I'm sorry, but my mind hit the gutter as soon as I read this.  This sounds like a proposition to me.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/06 at 3:40 pm

I'm afraid with my sperm and Robin's sperm that the baby will come out looking all messed up with our genes such as her Asperger's and my OCD will be one screwed up girl/boy. :o

Written By: La Roche on 03/15/06 at 3:45 pm

I'm afraid with my sperm and Robin's sperm that the baby will come out looking all messed up with our genes such as her Asperger's and my OCD will be one screwed up girl/boy. :o

Howard.. if your sperm and Robin's sperm were used.. I think you'd just end up needing a towel.

Maybe with her eggs?

"Love kids? Wanna have some?"

I'm sorry, but my mind hit the gutter as soon as I read this.  This sounds like a proposition to me.

You're not doing anything until me and your mother re-marry!

Written By: KKay on 03/15/06 at 3:46 pm

Howard.. if your sperm and Robin's sperm were used.. I think you'd just end up needing a towel.

Maybe with her eggs?

The recipe had a dash of gutter in it. :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/15/06 at 3:46 pm

Nope.  My mom was 43 and my dad 53 when my younger brother was born and he's as immature as they come >:(  I think, if anything, older parents are much more lenient than younger ones.

Well my dad was 40 when I was born and you all know how immature I am!  :D

Written By: Howard on 03/15/06 at 3:47 pm

Maybe with her eggs?

Exactly,Her Eggs.She doesn't want kids anyway because if she had gotten pregnant her foot would swell up from the veins in there.That's what she told me.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/06 at 3:47 pm

The recipe had a dash of gutter in it. :)

What do you mean a dash of gutter? ???

Written By: La Roche on 03/15/06 at 3:52 pm

What do you mean a dash of gutter? ???

S'Ok Howard, she was just makin' fun of me.

You oughta beat her up!

Written By: Howard on 03/15/06 at 3:54 pm

S'Ok Howard, she was just makin' fun of me.

You oughta beat her up!

With my nightstick >:(

Written By: La Roche on 03/15/06 at 3:55 pm

With my nightstick >:(

Oh definatly, I've heard all about your nightstick~

Written By: Howard on 03/15/06 at 3:56 pm

Oh definatly, I've heard all about your nightstick~

It's one deadly nightstick and I can whip it out at any given time. ;D ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/15/06 at 3:57 pm

ASDF'SKGKGF;DFM;'DH. ;D

Written By: La Roche on 03/15/06 at 4:11 pm

She'll like that Howard, you want her number?

Written By: Howard on 03/15/06 at 4:41 pm

She'll like that Howard, you want her number?

No Thank You,I'm taken. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/15/06 at 4:45 pm

Well my dad was 40 when I was born and you all know how immature I am!  :D

hmm, if my boyfriend and I had kids, let's say, in a few years, I'd be 27 and he'd be 45 - YIKES!

Written By: Howard on 03/15/06 at 4:46 pm

hmm, if my boyfriend and I had kids, let's say, in a few years, I'd be 27 and he'd be 45 - YIKES!

If Robin & I had kids in a few years I would be 36 and she would be 30

Written By: YWN on 03/15/06 at 5:13 pm

Oh, you know I don't go for women with dogs anyway.

...Why did I feel so dirty typing that?

Written By: jaytee on 03/15/06 at 6:35 pm

I never thought I would have kids ... but have ended up with 4 of 'em.  I love them to bits and they are the best thing that ever happened to me.  Some of my best friends I've met through my kids.  Bonus:  I'm not as selfish as I used to be!

Written By: whitewolf on 03/15/06 at 7:00 pm

I always wanted to have kids -although not so young- I was only 18 when I had my oldest.
didn't have the second until 10 years later and the baby 4 years after that.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/06 at 2:54 pm

I'll have to respect Robin's choice so we won't have children.

Written By: Stompgal on 03/25/06 at 11:39 am

I like my younger cousins (ages 5 to 13) and I would like to have kids when I'm older. I've always wanted twins.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/07 at 7:10 am

I don't want kids nor Do I want to take care of them especially when your girlfriend has a disability.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/25/07 at 1:42 pm

This is a funny thread title.

"Do you love kids? Then do you want to HAVE some!? Here... Take mine!"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/25/07 at 3:32 pm

no & no. Now if they're very quiet, well behaved and don't move around too much and leave things alone, they're ok.  otherwise they irritate me

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 3:33 pm

no & no. Now if they're very quiet, well behaved and don't move around too much and leave things alone, they're ok.  otherwise they irritate me

Hey, your karma count is 1234!  How totally cool!  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/25/07 at 3:35 pm

Hey, your karma count is 1234!  How totally cool!  :D
very observant you are.  last night before I logged off, my post count was 18888, so double cool  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/25/07 at 4:56 pm

This is a funny thread title.

"Do you love kids? Then do you want to HAVE some!? Here... Take mine!"

How many do you have?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 4:57 pm

How many do you have?

............................He's 16, Howard.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/07 at 5:27 pm

............................He's 16, Howard.

I was only kidding. ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 5:27 pm

I was only kidding. ::)

It sure as heck didn't sound that way.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/07 at 5:34 pm

It sure as heck didn't sound that way.

I'm so sorry if you didn't understand. :(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 5:35 pm

No need to be sorry, Howard.  'Tis a simple misunderstanding is all.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/07 at 5:36 pm

No need to be sorry, Howard.  'Tis a simple misunderstanding is all.

:) No problem at all. ;)

Written By: Tia on 03/25/07 at 5:37 pm

my day isn't complete until i read the latest surreal exchange between beth and howard. i love it!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 5:38 pm

my day isn't complete until i read the latest surreal exchange between beth and howard. i love it!

I hope you enjoyed that one.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/07 at 5:41 pm

Now let's have kids. ;D ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 5:42 pm

Now let's have kids. ;D ;)

You're in Queens, I'm in Georgia.....you don't want kids.....Houston, we have a problem.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/07 at 5:43 pm

You're in Queens, I'm in Georgia.....you don't want kids.....Houston, we have a problem.

It doesn't reach that far. ;D ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 5:44 pm

It doesn't reach that far. ;D ;D

And the female population breathes a sigh of relief.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/07 at 5:45 pm

And the female population breathes a sigh of relief.

;D That's good Beth.

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/07 at 6:53 pm

Federal Law 3408a.65 prohibits me from breeding.

To be fair... it's probably not a bad idea.

I said before that I thought I'd be good at it.. but.. I'd totally be like my Dad and kinda been absentee for the first few years. Kids are dull until they're about 4.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/25/07 at 7:06 pm

I have two and that's plenty!

My husband wanted 4, until my son came along then he changed his mind.  For a while we called our son B.C.-Birth Control.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/25/07 at 7:09 pm

ever seen one of those little suckers be delivered & born up close  :o  un-frikken-believable  :o  it's quite a wild scene

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/25/07 at 7:22 pm

ever seen one of those little suckers be delivered & born up close  :o   un-frikken-believable  :o  it's quite a wild scene

Amazing!!

I've only seen it on T.V..  We didn't record either of my children's births. 

My husband stayed as far away as possible and looked only at my face.  He almost passed out when he cut the cord.  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/25/07 at 7:28 pm

Amazing!!

I've only seen it on T.V..  We didn't record either of my children's births. 

My husband stayed as far away as possible and looked only at my face.  He almost passed out when he cut the cord.   ;D
I didn't want to cut anything  :o , but I did have my face right in there watching the birth of my daughter.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/25/07 at 8:00 pm

For those of you who read this thread and think "WTF?  No and no!"

Your word for today is Childfree.

Example:

"Hey, my kids were driving me nuts last night.  How many kids you got?"
"None."
"Oh, so you're childless?"
"No, I'm childfree."
"Huh?  Whutza difference?"
"Look, you know those infertile couples that are always talking about how hard they're trying to have a kid?"
"Yeah.  Shoot, it took me and the Missus three months and we were starting to get worried."
"Right.  Those folks are childless."
"So what's childfree?"
"Folks who don't have 'em because they don't want 'em.  Big difference."

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/25/07 at 8:57 pm

yes..I do.

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/07 at 9:59 pm

I didn't want to cut anything  :o , but I did have my face right in there watching the birth of my daughter.

Ya know... nothing.. personal, no slights against your wife or daughter.. but that was a visual I did NOT need.

Written By: Jessica on 03/25/07 at 10:08 pm

Ya know... nothing.. personal, no slights against your wife or daughter.. but that was a visual I did NOT need.

Ha, you should've seen Jason's entrance into the world. In the words of Rice, "It was like a gun being fired. He just shot out."

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/07 at 10:14 pm

Ha, you should've seen Jason's entrance into the world. In the words of Rice, "It was like a gun being fired. He just shot out."

The only thing I can really compare it to.. is a really big dump.. and I just don't think that's an accurate comparison.

Written By: Jessica on 03/25/07 at 10:16 pm

The only thing I can really compare it to.. is a really big dump.. and I just don't think that's an accurate comparison.

Way off. :D

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/07 at 10:18 pm

Way off. :D

Well, I dunno.. I do eat a lot of bread.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/25/07 at 10:22 pm

It was quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen.

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/07 at 10:23 pm

You need cable.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 10:23 pm

You need cable.

The miracle of life > cable

Written By: Jessica on 03/25/07 at 10:27 pm

Unless you're the one on the table screaming. :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 10:28 pm

Unless you're the one on the table screaming. :D

Naturally.  Because then cable > the miracle of life

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/07 at 10:29 pm

Cable > Most stuff.

Written By: Jessica on 03/25/07 at 10:33 pm

Cable > Most stuff.

I just miss my Food Network and VH1 Classic and...wait, I think that was it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 10:34 pm

Cable > Most stuff.

Most stuff > cable.

Digital cable > most stuff.

Written By: Tia on 03/25/07 at 10:34 pm

the entire universe is sandwiched between cable.

weird!

Written By: La Roche on 03/25/07 at 10:35 pm

Most stuff > cable.

Digital cable > most stuff.

Well.. yeah. The dish is always triumphant.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/25/07 at 10:41 pm

You need cable.

I don't watch TV anymore really...it has ceased to amuse me.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/26/07 at 12:26 am

no problem davey, as my response would be the same if I were having this described to me by someone else

maybe if it had hair on it  ???

I'm in concurrence with you on this one Rice, the wildest and coolest, but of course when it's your own, it's different. i don't wanna see any others, just my own and that's more than enough.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/07 at 1:01 am

Saw a film on it (giving birth) in Sophomore health class (way too many years ago)  It was kinda freaky and surreal.  Wasn't something I wanted to experience personally at any time.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 03/26/07 at 1:26 am

Well it's still no a year later!  ;D Thankfully for me Ian has gone from wanting kids, to maybe wanting kids to never wanting kids and I didn't have  to do a thing to change his mind.
I have one nephew and 3 god children that does me perfectly.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/26/07 at 2:20 am

Saw a film on it (giving birth) in Sophomore health class (way too many years ago)  It was kinda freaky and surreal.  Wasn't something I wanted to experience personally at any time.   ;D
surreal is a good description

Written By: La Roche on 03/26/07 at 11:09 am

maybe if it had hair on it  ???

Sometimes they do.. they also usually speak with a Russian accent.

I go back to Rodney Carrington's little discourse after his wife had a kid.

"Can you feel anything honey?"
'If you do circles.'

;D

Written By: Howard on 03/26/07 at 4:18 pm

Ok Give me Some Kids....  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/26/07 at 4:19 pm

I love my cousin Deborah's children.  They are mondo adorable. 

Written By: spaceace on 03/26/07 at 4:24 pm

My parents think it would be a shame if I didn't have children.  As if one of me terrorizing humanity wasn't enough. ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/26/07 at 4:34 pm

I wouldn't be able to have time to take care of them.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/26/07 at 5:32 pm

My parents think it would be a shame if I didn't have children.  As if one of me terrorizing humanity wasn't enough. ;D

Why else do you think my parents told me not to have kids?  ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/26/07 at 5:49 pm

Why else do you think my parents told me not to have kids?  ;D  ;D

Did you have your tubes tied?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/26/07 at 5:50 pm

Did you have your tubes tied?

Why would I do that?  I'm 24 and that's invasive surgery.  They were only kidding with me anyway and I knew that. 

Written By: Howard on 03/26/07 at 5:54 pm

Why would I do that?  I'm 24 and that's invasive surgery.  They were only kidding with me anyway and I knew that. 

Sorry Beth,was just making conversation. :( ;)

Written By: gemini on 03/26/07 at 6:24 pm

No more kids for me. I'm just waiting for grandkids now, which could be a long wait.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/26/07 at 10:36 pm

No more kids for me. I'm just waiting for grandkids now, which could be a long wait.

my mom keeps telling me that she wants more grandchildren...and I keep saying, "well...it's just not happening yet!" :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/26/07 at 11:13 pm

Saw the thread late

Saw the title

Love kids? Wanna have some?

Uncontrolable compulsion to write "Here, have mine..."

Written By: Howard on 03/27/07 at 1:41 pm

Nope!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/27/07 at 2:11 pm

Yeah, someday I'd definitely love to have kids (in fact, since I was an only child, I'd probably want to have at least two or three). Although I hope their mom is the disciplinarian. Instead of the common "you wait till your father gets home!" threat of reprimandation, with me it'll be "Wait till your mother gets home, young man!" ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/27/07 at 2:49 pm

Not in the forseeable future...

Written By: KKay on 03/27/07 at 10:24 pm

wow. who re-started this old thread?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/07 at 10:29 pm

My kid is really cool.  I would like to make more but that depends greatly on how my partner in crime feels.  If no more, then I'm very happy with what we've accomplished so far :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/07 at 10:32 pm

My kid is really cool.  I would like to make more but that depends greatly on how my partner in crime feels.  If no more, then I'm very happy with what we've accomplished so far :)

I'd love to see Jess with a little girl.

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/07 at 10:33 pm

I just thought.

I have an obligation to breed... otherwise who'll carry on the brutality when I'm dead in a few years?

I mean, you can only corrupt a mind so far, it has to be genetically encoded.q

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/07 at 10:35 pm

I'd love to see Jess with a little girl.

Actually, me too, but I have this weird thing where I'd feel...well, weird if I were to bathe her or change her diaper.  Then again, I used to feel that way with Jason but now I can literally change a diaper in thirty seconds :P  Guess I just don't wanna feel sketchy or something.

Jason could use a playmate though, that'd be nice for him.  If not, we'd have to show him how to be friendly.  He already is nice and knows he's cute so he can attract lots of attention and friends in a hurry :D

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/07 at 10:36 pm

Actually, me too, but I have this weird thing where I'd feel...well, weird if I were to bathe her or change her diaper.  Then again, I used to feel that way with Jason but now I can literally change a diaper in thirty seconds :P  Guess I just don't wanna feel sketchy or something.

Jason could use a playmate though, that'd be nice for him.  If not, we'd have to show him how to be friendly.  He already is nice and knows he's cute so he can attract lots of attention and friends in a hurry :D

I could mate with your wife.. that way Jason would grow up in an even more ethnically diverse house...

.. just an idea ya know. Don't want him being all prejudiced and stuff.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/07 at 10:37 pm

I could mate with your wife.. that way Jason would grow up in an even more ethnically diverse house...

.. just an idea ya know. Don't want him being all prejudiced and stuff.

You'll have to ask her.

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/07 at 10:42 pm

You'll have to ask her.

I'm not prepared to lose fingers... you ask.,

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/07 at 10:44 pm

I'm not prepared to lose fingers... you ask.,

WTF am I supposed to say?  "Hey Jess, is it okay for Davey to mate with you?"

Do you see how totally ridiculous that statement looks?  Imagine how dumb it'll sound coming out of my mouth.

Not that worse statements haven't been uttered before... ;)

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/07 at 10:48 pm

WTF am I supposed to say?  "Hey Jess, is it okay for Davey to mate with you?"

Do you see how totally ridiculous that statement looks?  Imagine how dumb it'll sound coming out of my mouth.

Not that worse statements haven't been uttered before... ;)

Personally I think it's a great statement.

Maybe you should get her flowers or something...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/07 at 10:54 pm

Personally I think it's a great statement.

Maybe you should get her flowers or something...

!

You're the one who wants to mate, YOU get her flowers!  :D

I'll get her flowers later because I <3 Jess.

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/07 at 10:55 pm

!

You're the one who wants to mate, YOU get her flowers!  :D

I'll get her flowers later because I <3 Jess.

I dunno what kind of flowers she lives, so maybe you do it and I'll let you watch or something?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/07 at 10:56 pm

I dunno what kind of flowers she lives, so maybe you do it and I'll let you watch or something?

Get her roses.  Chicks dig roses.

But you're still going to have to ask her first :P

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/07 at 11:00 pm

Get her roses.  Chicks dig roses.

But you're still going to have to ask her first :P

Roses are pretty expensive.. what about grass?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/07 at 11:01 pm

I'll ask her for the both of you. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/27/07 at 11:02 pm

Ooh! Ooh! I wanna do it!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/27/07 at 11:03 pm

Eff this, I'll ask her for the both of you. 

Come on, do I really have to ask?  I mean, do you see how sketchy it is for some guy to say to his wife, "Hey, wife, some random guy wants to know if it's okay to (expletive deleted) you" ??

So I no ask :D

Written By: La Roche on 03/27/07 at 11:03 pm

Come on, do I really have to ask?  I mean, do you see how sketchy it is for some guy to say to his wife, "Hey, wife, some random guy wants to know if it's okay to (expletive deleted) you" ??

You're a spoilsport.

I was gonna let you share the grass.

Written By: Jessica on 03/27/07 at 11:25 pm

Roses are pretty expensive.. what about grass?

I'm not a cow, dude. ;D

I mate with no one but the Asian. And our house is so diverse that it puts Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition to shame.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/07 at 11:29 pm

I mate with no one but the Asian.

I'm sorry, but this made me snort out loud.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/28/07 at 1:22 am

Davey is some random guy?  I thought what you guys had meant something  :\'(

You're a spoilsport.

I was gonna let you share the grass.
dude, looks like you'll just have to donate the spermatazoams at the bank. SNL did a skethc a long time ago, about a sperm bank where all the customers were trying to get Hank Aaaron dna, Willie Mays, other celebs, and finally some couple wanted Rodney Dangerfield's. it was funny.

Written By: karen on 03/28/07 at 3:35 am

There is someone in my son's class whose mum has just had her sixth child.  Now that's someone who loves kids!

Written By: Howard on 03/28/07 at 3:37 pm

wow. who re-started this old thread?

I did,wanna have kids?  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/28/07 at 3:39 pm

You don't want them.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/07 at 3:52 pm

You don't want them.

You got that right.

Written By: La Roche on 03/29/07 at 10:34 am

I did,wanna have kids?  ;D

Howard.. there are several laws in place preventing you.. specifically, from breeding.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/29/07 at 3:24 pm

Howard.. there are several laws in place preventing you.. specifically, from breeding.

ouch!

Written By: Howard on 03/29/07 at 3:27 pm

cause of my disability? ???

Written By: La Roche on 03/29/07 at 10:39 pm

cause of my disability? ???

Nah dude, because of your Howardness.

Written By: Jessica on 03/29/07 at 10:46 pm

This thread has earned Jason's contempt.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/cry.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/30/07 at 1:09 am

;D Howard's Howardness shouldn't ban Howard from procreating a baby Howard or many baby Howards, Howard's Howardness is just Howard being Howardly as only Howard can in his own unique Howardy way.  This sounds like something Whistledog would post  :D

I think we need a baby Howard in the many faces of Howard thread

Written By: Tia on 03/30/07 at 7:55 am

;D Howard's Howardness shouldn't ban Howard from procreating a baby Howard or many baby Howards, Howard's Howardness is just Howard being Howardly as only Howard can in his own unique Howardy way.  This sounds like something Whistledog would post  :D

I think we need a baby Howard in the many faces of Howard thread
the word "howard" just became like the word "smurf"!

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/30/07 at 10:15 am

There is someone in my son's class whose mum has just had her sixth child.  Now that's someone who loves kids!

There's a family that I see in the grocery store every week, I think they're up to 9 kids.  :o :o :o

I always feel bad for the older kids since they seem to be responsible for the younger ones.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 03/30/07 at 2:45 pm

Yeah,I have a little bit of Howardness. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/30/07 at 5:50 pm

I don't LOVE kids, but I wouldn't mind one or two of my own so I can raise them to be just like me  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/30/07 at 5:54 pm

the word "howard" just became like the word "smurf"!

Yanno, everytime somebody types "Howard", I'm going to end up ignoring it, and just skip that word.

Written By: Tia on 03/30/07 at 7:54 pm

Yanno, everytime somebody types "Howard", I'm going to end up ignoring it, and just skip that word.
chucky should filter it. along with "frankfurter" and "penis." (sorry mkd.)

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/30/07 at 8:29 pm

XD

It would come out as George W. Bush?

Written By: Howard on 03/31/07 at 7:21 am

filter the word "Howard"?

Written By: Tia on 03/31/07 at 8:57 am

filter the word "Howard"?
the word "Dubya", yes.

Written By: woodstockghandii on 03/31/07 at 9:57 am

I just turned 43 and mine are allgrowed up in college so you can figure me-n-M'lady started early.But now they(the brats)are gone,she wants /is going to be free of being wife/mom/love-slave.She turns 40 tommorrow.She wants be single and I owe her that much no matter how much it may hurt my heart.We did a hellu've job keeping the kids on a good path.So.,IT would depend on how old the kids in ? are old.I have lots of practice of not chocking the sheesh out of teen-agers when the tell me how to live life to the fullest.I'm gonna be alone(totally)on this planet for the first time in 17 yrs.Maybe i outta git a cat?Anyways,keep your cats/kids.They are a source of insperation/frustration that keeps you hopp'in on 1 leg,'cause they"ll kick you in the shins every you make more sense than them.

Written By: Tia on 03/31/07 at 10:13 am

wow, that's very sad. i hope things work out for you. i know a lot of people here have gone through similar experiences.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/31/07 at 10:15 am

o_O She wants to leave you because the kids moved out? Isn't that kind of opposite? Finally get alone time with your hubby...

Written By: Howard on 03/31/07 at 3:25 pm

the word "Dubya", yes.

don't filter that?

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/31/07 at 3:51 pm

don't filter that?

Okay?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/07 at 7:07 pm

Behavioral genetics.  Do you have any idea how obnoxious my kid would be? 
;D

My both my sisters and two of my cousins have kids now.  In keeping with Western birth rates, they all have one child each.  Fortunately, they're all girls.  Men have a terrible track record on both sides of my family!

I've never been in a good position to have kids (not what I meant, wiseguy!), but even if/when I am, the answer will be an unequivocal NO.  I have severe depression as does my father. My paternal grandfather and his father both committed suicide from melancholia.  If it were not for modern psychotrophic medications, neither my father nor I would be alive today.  Of that I am certain.  The women in my family have depression, but not like the men, particularly the family line of which I shall be the final issue.
::)

I don't know if I want kids.  Right now, I can't stand them, and anytime they come into an establishment that I'm in, I try to get as far from them as I can.  It seems like every kid I've ever come across in public is rude, loud and disobedient. 

I tend to have the same reaction, but I have to bear in mind what kind of ruckus I used to raise!

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/31/07 at 7:56 pm

Not I! =D

Written By: statsqueen on 03/31/07 at 8:42 pm

I'm sure, now that you mentioned it, something like that will show up.

There have been a few moments in the last 17 yrs that I have thought about it, but not seriously--like any single parent.  The truth of the matter is that even when she was being at her most "teenagerish" I wouldn't have traded my life with her for anything.  It's difficult not having enough money for anything, but I do the best I can to provide opportunities for her.  I even wanted to give her a brother or sister, but it wasn't meant to be.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/31/07 at 10:23 pm

Okay?

No.

Written By: KKay on 04/01/07 at 8:02 pm

Last night I was about to take this lovely, chubby faced darling and hurl her across the room.  I simply have no time for parents that have put cute before couth.  A child under my feet.....you get what you get. I say if ytou have them, then you just can't go out. Keep them home, out of my way. an defiantely NOT on a plane near me. ugh. yes, you're cute.
but that does not mean you're forgiven easily.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/01/07 at 8:06 pm

Last night I was about to take this lovely, chubby faced darling and hurl her across the room.  I simply have no time for parents that have put cute before couth.  A child under my feet.....you get what you get. I say if ytou have them, then you just can't go out. Keep them home, out of my way. an defiantely NOT on a plane near me. ugh. yes, you're cute.

???

Parents can go out.  They just need babysitters.  If they don't have babysitters, they need to watch their children, yes.  Jason never leaves my sight when we're out, even when he's playing with other children or if one of my friends has him for the moment.

Just because you got kids doesn't mean that you have to be shackled to the house :D

Written By: Jessica on 04/01/07 at 8:12 pm

You know what? I was going to answer this, but I can't without being really f*cking rude.

Later.

Written By: KKay on 04/01/07 at 8:16 pm

You know what? I was going to answer this, but I can't without being really f*cking rude.

Later.

I understand that. and I don't mean to be mean.
I just ..if I had kids I'd feel differently. and  I don't think anything is wrong with people making
that decision.
I just can't find the patience within myself to deal with it.
It's great if you can. I kind of envy that kind of tolerance.
I'm sorry if you were offended. I ddidn't mean that.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/01/07 at 8:17 pm

^ Do you want kids?  ???  Or are you justifying why you DON'T want kids?

Written By: Tia on 04/01/07 at 8:19 pm

somebody somewhere was talking about the distinction between "childless" and "child-free." i thought that was sorta thought-provoking.

i for one am on the fence.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/01/07 at 8:20 pm

somebody somewhere was talking about the distinction between "childless" and "child-free." i thought that was sorta thought-provoking.

i for one am on the fence.

I think that was Foo Bar :)

When you have a child, the disposable income that you once had to go on trips and do random crap with sorta gets rerouted so that you can make sure the child learns and survives into adulthood in relatively good health and happiness.  It's a pretty good sacrifice, methinks :)

Written By: Jessica on 04/01/07 at 9:35 pm

I have thought about this some more.

I understand that you don't like children who are disruptive, rude, and annoying. Hell, maybe you don't like children, period. Not all children are like that though. Some of us DO actually take responsibility for what our kids learn and how they act in public. However, kids will still be kids and cry or act silly. And you can't really stop a young baby from crying. They cry if they're hungry, wet, uncomfortable, or if the wind is blowing the wrong way. You also can't expect parents to stay home all the time. Maybe their baby is with them because they couldn't find a babysitter, or it's a special occasion, or maybe they moved to an unfamiliar region and they don't know anybody to babysit (our situation right now). There are a lot of things that factor in.

I have tried to teach my son manners. It is slowly seeping in. He knows better than to act up in public because all that will earn him is a pinch on the leg. But I allow him to run wild at home. That's his reward.

I understand that. and I don't mean to be mean.
I just ..if I had kids I'd feel differently. and  I don't think anything is wrong with people making
that decision.
I just can't find the patience within myself to deal with it.
It's great if you can. I kind of envy that kind of tolerance.
I'm sorry if you were offended. I ddidn't mean that.

It's cool. I can tell you right now that there are days when I want to run away and hide. But then I remember the sweet things....like my son telling me what the letters are on my shirt...or him calling me, "Mommy."...or just him giving me a goodnight kiss. Do I miss partying every night and doing my own thing? Sure, sometimes I do. But I wouldn't give up what I have now for what I did then. Do I need a break now and then? Yeah, but I'd always come back.

Parenting is a challenge. I won't lie. And I think your initial post rubbed me the wrong way because a LOT of people feel like that and don't mind telling me how wrong I am to have a child/have him in public/etc. I don't disrespect people who choose to be childfree (my sister is one, due to her awesome temper) because that is their choice, much like it was mine to have the Jason.

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/07 at 9:47 am

Kids are always gonna misbehave, but I appreciate it when parents at least DO SOMETHING.

That's the one that really annoys me "Awww, he's only doing such and such." I don't freakin care!! Shut it up!

A great example is parents who take their kids out to nice resteraunts.. ok.. I'm sorry, but no. Take your kids to McDonalds or something, not a nice resteraunt where they're just gonna go ahead and dump their plate on their head and then scream for 2 hours.. you can tune it out.. I can't. I often have thoughts of bludgeoning infants.. by allowing your child to scream you're only hastening my eventual decapitation of your infant and you being presented with a burst spleen cassarole.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/02/07 at 11:57 am

Kids are always gonna misbehave, but I appreciate it when parents at least DO SOMETHING.

That's the one that really annoys me "Awww, he's only doing such and such." I don't freakin care!! Shut it up!

A great example is parents who take their kids out to nice resteraunts.. ok.. I'm sorry, but no. Take your kids to McDonalds or something, not a nice resteraunt where they're just gonna go ahead and dump their plate on their head and then scream for 2 hours.. you can tune it out.. I can't. I often have thoughts of bludgeoning infants.. by allowing your child to scream you're only hastening my eventual decapitation of your infant and you being presented with a burst spleen cassarole.

I think the panel will agree with me when I say that perhaps Davey is the one who shouldn't be allowed in public...

Written By: Jessica on 04/02/07 at 12:09 pm

I think the panel will agree with me when I say that perhaps Davey is the one who shouldn't be allowed in public...

Yup. I didn't even know they allowed him into nice restaurants.

For the record, most people that have children can't afford nice restaurants...unless you consider Buffalo Wild Wings and Bob Evans fine dining. ::)

I'm ignoring the rest of Davey's tirade because I have PMS and my temper is short. :)

Written By: Tia on 04/02/07 at 12:10 pm

smurfy!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/02/07 at 12:15 pm

For the record, most people that have children can't afford nice restaurants...unless you consider Buffalo Wild Wings and Bob Evans fine dining. ::)

I'm ignoring the rest of Davey's tirade because I have PMS and my temper is short. :)

Well that, and the fact that his tirade was sickening, and about as far from funny as you can get.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/02/07 at 1:24 pm

Just so you know not all kids misbehave or don't belong in nice restaurants....

It is true that on my own I can't afford anything more than Bennigan's for a special occasion.  However, my parents don't suffer that same financial dilemma.  I had to live with them for a very short period of time after the birth of my daughter (it seemed like an interminable length after having lived on my own for a while).  When she was still an infant, we started taking her out to nice restaurants.  Even as a toddler, she was well-behaved and loved among the staff (my parents have their favorite restaurants, so the wait staff got to know her well).  I remember going to dinner at the Captain's Table and the waitress asking if she could take Micah into the kitchen to see everyone.  My daughter never raised her voice and always understood that manners were expected.  Yes, I took coloring books and the like so that she could amuse herself when the adults talked, but even as a baby she was good.  I know she is the exception and not the rule (my brother would have been in the group you described simply because he didn't like to go out and made no bones about it).  I just want to make sure you know that not every child misbehaves in nice restaurants.  To this day, my daughter enjoys the "finer" dining experiences with my parents.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/07 at 1:28 pm

My parents could take my sister and I to nice restaurants when we were younger and we NEVER misbehaved.  Not ever.  My parents raised us right.  Blanket statements are the devil.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/02/07 at 1:28 pm

Hee hee, Jason looks at other kids with absolute contempt if they whine in public :D

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/07 at 1:59 pm

Just so you know not all kids misbehave or don't belong in nice restaurants....

It is true that on my own I can't afford anything more than Bennigan's for a special occasion.  However, my parents don't suffer that same financial dilemma.  I had to live with them for a very short period of time after the birth of my daughter (it seemed like an interminable length after having lived on my own for a while).  When she was still an infant, we started taking her out to nice restaurants.  Even as a toddler, she was well-behaved and loved among the staff (my parents have their favorite restaurants, so the wait staff got to know her well).  I remember going to dinner at the Captain's Table and the waitress asking if she could take Micah into the kitchen to see everyone.  My daughter never raised her voice and always understood that manners were expected.  Yes, I took coloring books and the like so that she could amuse herself when the adults talked, but even as a baby she was good.  I know she is the exception and not the rule (my brother would have been in the group you described simply because he didn't like to go out and made no bones about it).  I just want to make sure you know that not every child misbehaves in nice restaurants.  To this day, my daughter enjoys the "finer" dining experiences with my parents.

.. and that's excellent and you've clearly done a damn good job raising her.

I'm not implying that it's bad parents who 'allow' their children to do that.. simply put, I just don't want it around me. If I go somewhere where I expect to find screaming children, then hey.. my bed to lie in. One of the things I've never understood.. is why take them anywhere anyway. They don't remember. I have no memories before about the age of 4 or 5.. and even those are sketchy.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/02/07 at 2:52 pm

.. and that's excellent and you've clearly done a damn good job raising her.

I'm not implying that it's bad parents who 'allow' their children to do that.. simply put, I just don't want it around me. If I go somewhere where I expect to find screaming children, then hey.. my bed to lie in. One of the things I've never understood.. is why take them anywhere anyway. They don't remember. I have no memories before about the age of 4 or 5.. and even those are sketchy.

Thanks for the compliment.

I definitely see your point about them not remembering, but there could be other reasons...wanting them to learn at an early age how to behave in public, wanting to expose them to different experiences, etc.  I know my parents took me out from a very young age (on the way home from picking me up at the agency, they stopped at their fave restaurant so the owner could "meet" me).  I guess it just depends on how they are raised.  My daughter wasn't around anyone under the age of 21 until she was 2.  Since I worked nights and weekends, my parents took her to the potlucks and parties that they went to around the lake with their group.  We have pics of my mom feeding her baby food at a 50th b'day party.  My parents' friends totally understood the situation and Micah was always welcome---because she was social and didn't cry, whine, or demand to be the center of attention.  Does Micah remember?  Of course not, but she loves to see the pictures.  Of course, there were children around at other parties later on (older than she was) that we couldn't say the same about.  I just got lucky!  :)  (Lucky for me she learned early on that it was her grandparents that could afford the lobster, oysters, and prime rib and Mommy could afford Wendy's.)    ;)  Thanks for letting me brag about my baby.....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/02/07 at 2:54 pm

Jason most definitely remembers the park, Chuck E Cheese, and I am fairly convinced he remembers stuff like the zoo and the long drives we take every now and then.  He's goofy like that :D

Written By: Howard on 04/02/07 at 3:34 pm

I'm afraid with my disability and Robin's Asperger's that if we had kids,The kid would look all messed up or she would wind up having a miscarriage. :(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/07 at 3:36 pm

Howard, unless you have PHYSICAL disabilities.....why would the child be physically deformed or Robin have a miscarriage?

Written By: Howard on 04/02/07 at 4:23 pm

Howard, unless you have PHYSICAL disabilities.....why would the child be physically deformed or Robin have a miscarriage?

Her's is visible while mine is mostly INvisible.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/07 at 4:24 pm

Her's is visible while mine is mostly INvisible.

That still doesn't answer my question.  Asperger's is not a physical disability is it?  I don't see how that would cause the child to be physically deformed.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/07 at 4:27 pm

That still doesn't answer my question.  Asperger's is not a physical disability is it?  I don't see how that would cause the child to be physically deformed.

It's sort of like a social kind of disability.

Written By: Jessica on 04/02/07 at 4:27 pm

But it's not physical, so I wouldn't worry about physical disabilities of any children you have.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/07 at 4:28 pm

I know what it is, Howard.  I was asking you why you thought your children would be deformed because of it.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/02/07 at 4:32 pm

I think the best course of action is to determine that you have enough financial and relationship stability to justify having children and supporting said children, not how they'll look "If They Mated" :P

Written By: Jessica on 04/02/07 at 4:36 pm

I think the best course of action is to determine that you have enough financial and relationship stability to justify having children and supporting said children, not how they'll look "If They Mated" :P

Yeah, that works. Especially the relationship part.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/02/07 at 4:45 pm

Howard, neither you or Robin have hereditary diabilities, so your kid could come out perfectly for all you know. Not even Asperger's!

Written By: KKay on 04/02/07 at 5:37 pm

in my earlier posts i was not saying that i didn't want kids cuz they are annoying. i was just telling a story from my day about some annoying child. many are great. i am very awkward around them and never know what to do so i avoid the situation.  i think i would be and irresponsible parent- that's the main reason why i dn't want to have children.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/07 at 5:39 pm

in my earlier posts i was not saying that i didn't want kids cuz they are annoying. i was just telling a story from my day about some annoying child. many are great. i am very awkward around them and never know what to do so i avoid the situation.  i think i would be and irresponsible parent- that's the main reason why i dn't want to have children.

I think it takes a lot to make a statement like that.  Most people won't admit things that they either aren't good at or feel they wouldn't be good at.  I would like kids one day, but I'm 24.....I'm too selfish and self-absorbed right now to handle caring for another human being.  I can barely take care of myself.  Do I know when I feel I'll be ready for them?  No, but if it comes to pass that I never have kids, I'll just take joy in spoiling however many nieces and nephews I have. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/02/07 at 5:51 pm

We don't go to fancy restaurants with them because we ain't fancy!!  :D

Usually my kids behave in public, but there are times when I've had to leave a store and sit with one of them in the car.

The last time we took the kids to a fancy place was a few years ago when we were visiting my parents in NY.  It was miserable for a few reasons...
1)The kids were tired.
2)My parents were uptight and nervous about the kids.
3)The service was slow.

So my sister and I both took turns going outside with the kids.  I did not let them disrupt everyone else's dinner.  Of course we didn't get to enjoy our dinner but that's one of the things you give up when you become a parent...a meal without any interruptions.

Written By: Jessica on 04/02/07 at 6:07 pm

That's cool. I know a lot of people that don't want children. I see nothing wrong with it. I'm sure it irks you though when people ask when you are going to have kids. I know my sister gets pissed when people ask her that. Or they ask her why she doesn't have any or why she doesn't want them.

I know my sister well. She loves children as long as they aren't hers. She also has a really really bad temper, and even she admits she doesn't want children because she would probably fly off the handle and harm them.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/07 at 6:38 pm

I know what it is, Howard.  I was asking you why you thought your children would be deformed because of it.

I was just assuming that,Sorry. :(

Written By: Howard on 04/02/07 at 6:39 pm

Howard, neither you or Robin have hereditary diabilities, so your kid could come out perfectly for all you know. Not even Asperger's!

She doesn't want kids anyway.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/07 at 8:27 pm

Well, ironically, it's the working class parents who still discipline their kids.  What you get in those plummy restaurants and posh gourmet supermarkets is the failed yuppie progressive parenting techniques that didn't work 30 years ago, and don't work today!

The kid throws himself to the floor, flailing and screaming at the top of his lungs.

The response:  "Jonas, I am not going to acknowledge this sort of behavior."*

The theory is, if you ignore the kid's bad behavior, he'll realize it won't get him what he wants, and he'll stop doing it.

No sh*t, that really is a method of so-called "progressive" parenting!

*The parents are emotional basketcases themselves, still crying to their therapists about how strict their own parents were and how it made it impossible for them to have orgasms, or something.
:D

DEE DEE DEE!
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/02/07 at 9:49 pm

an defiantely NOT on a plane near me.

"That's IT!  I have had it with these... (not even Samuel L. Jackson wouldn't say it) kids on this muthaf*kin' plane!"

Yeah, that was me.  Kids are like abortions.  Don't want one?  Don't have one!

I'm childfree for the "selfish" reasons.  It's nice to not have to worry about funding a kid's education.  It's nice having the extra cash to put towards early retirement. It's nice to not worry about what happens to the planet after I'm dust.

But I'm in the minority of childfrees, though. Most are CF for more practical reasons; some don't want to bring another energy-guzzling Westerner into an overloaded planetary ecosystem.  Some don't want to bring a kid into the world when they know they can't fund its upbringing.

Most CFs have at least this in common: they just don't want to have kids.  At least, not enough that they'd have to actually deal with the consequences of having 'em. 

In non-CF folks, (that is, the childless) the desire to reproduce is pretty darn strong.  Strong enough that all consideration of "the consequences" is swept under the rug. ("Not enough money?  Work 60 hours to make it happen!"  "Westerners destroying the planet?  I'll teach Jr. to recycle!"  "Lots of work and lots of time commitment?  Yeah, it's like the ultimate Tamagochi, and it's pretty cool when they smile at you!" 

At this point, people often start talking past each other.  For instance:

CF: I like a $250K lamborghini more than I'd like to spend $10K/year for 18 years on raising a kid.
Non-CF: OK, so it costs money.  What if you had a million bucks?  Then you could afford it!
CF: No, then I could afford flying lessons... and an airplane!
Non-CF: A billion?
CF: *boggle* ...and a spaceship!  You just don't get it, do you?

Or going the other way around:

CF:  Kids? Sounds like a risky proposition.
Non-CF: You'll change your mind someday!
CF: That's what my parents said 20 years ago.  Ain't changed my mind yet.
Non-CF: We weren't sure, and then I saw Jr. born, and it all became perfectly clear!  Just go for it!
CF: It's not a puppy!  If that little evolutionary switch doesn't trip like it's supposed to, and I discover that dealing with (diapers, toddlers, school, teenagers) is still hell on earth, I can't just take it back for a refund
Non-CF:  *boggle* But how couldn't that switch work?  You just don't get it! 

Two tips for people on either "sides" of the "debate":  First, it's not a debate.  Neither of you really wants to convince the other person to do what you did, right?  So it's not a debate, and there's no winner and no loser.  Second, when you encounter the other type of person, try to remember that he or she really is wired differently.  (at least, they think differently; I'm not aware of any studies on a genetic predisposition towards CFness.)  You're both arguing perfectly rationally, but you're arguing from opposing sets of underlying premises; one of you has valued the benefits of having kids as far outweighing the drawbacks, and the other is starting from the opposite conclusion.

Which takes us all the way back to "Don't want one?  Don't have one!" 

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/07 at 10:02 pm

"That's IT!  I have had it with these... even Samuel L. Jackson wouldn't say it kids on this muthaf*kin' plane!"

My new goal in life is to say that next time I'm on a plane.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/07 at 7:26 am

Robin has an anxiety disorder so I guess she's nervous about the baby becoming messed up.

Written By: Jessica on 04/03/07 at 8:47 am

Robin has an anxiety disorder so I guess she's nervous about the baby becoming messed up.

That's not what Rice is saying. It's very very hard to have children if you can't support them. He wants to make sure that you have the fundage to support any babies you have.

And I thought Robin wanted nothing to do with you? Why all this talk of "if we have kids"? ???

Written By: karen on 04/03/07 at 8:55 am

And I thought Robin wanted nothing to do with you? Why all this talk of "if we have kids"? ???

Howard seems to think that they will get back together when he gets this job at Pathmark.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/07 at 8:55 am

Howard seems to think that they will get back together when he gets this job at Pathmark.

Well duh. Don't you know that's what every woman secretly wants.

Written By: Jessica on 04/03/07 at 8:56 am

Oh deer.

Written By: La Roche on 04/03/07 at 9:02 am

Oh deer.

Good point.

Howard, the best way to win a woman is to present her with an animal you've killed with your bare hands. Now, I'd suggest a Bear, cobra or alligator, but if none of those are available.. a deer could work.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/03/07 at 9:11 am

Good point.

Howard, the best way to win a woman is to present her with an animal you've killed with your bare hands. Now, I'd suggest a Bear, cobra or alligator, but if none of those are available.. a deer could work.

...this public service announcement has been brought to you by Davey Thrashmister, guru of love and Klingon warlord.  QaPla!

Written By: Jessica on 04/03/07 at 9:16 am

Good point.

Mmmm....venison.

Written By: Tia on 04/03/07 at 10:07 am

Good point.

if all that fails, spit a mouse at em.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/03/07 at 10:14 am

All this talk about children behaving badly got me thinking,there's really nothing i dislike more than a kid that acts like an adult, you know that child who always behaves, which parents treat like a grown up,like he's supposed to know better,to understand why is not alright to cry and throw a fit 'cause he didn't get their way.

I'm not saying kids should be free to do what they want at all, i work with children and believe me there are some spoiled brats at my classes who i could strangle some days,but at the same time i understand that they're kids,let em be children while they can, i know it's annoying sometimes but i rather have them acting goofy, screaming and kicking but making me laugh, than some extremely well-behaved kid that feels like he has to ask everything first. 

We're doing these choreography with Another Brick in The Wall by Pink Floyd, and let me tell you it's the most awesome thing watching these little hellions shouting "leave them kids alone" and doing a little butt dance with it :D

These days i have no doubt in my mind when it comes to have kids, i want at least 2, the big question is when. Right now i know i'm not ready at all, and it scares the hell out of me the idea that when i'm finally ready it will be too late or that i'll never find the guy to have them with :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/07 at 10:31 am

All this talk about children behaving badly got me thinking,there's really nothing i dislike more than a kid that acts like an adult, you know that child who always behaves, which parents treat like a grown up,like he's supposed to know better,to understand why is not alright to cry and throw a fit 'cause he didn't get their way.

I'm not saying kids should be free to do what they want at all, i work with children and believe me there are some spoiled brats at my classes who i could strangle some days,but at the same time i understand that they're kids,let em be children while they can, i know it's annoying sometimes but i rather have them acting goofy, screaming and kicking but making me laugh, than some extremely well-behaved kid that feels like he has to ask everything first. 

We're doing these choreography with Another Brick in The Wall by Pink Floyd, and let me tell you it's the most awesome thing watching these little hellions shouting "leave them kids alone" and doing a little butt dance with it :D

These days i have no doubt in my mind when it comes to have kids, i want at least 2, the big question is when. Right now i know i'm not ready at all, and it scares the hell out of me the idea that when i'm finally ready it will be too late or that i'll never find the guy to have them with :-\\

Yeah, I can agree here to a point. Although, I don't think an older acting kid is a bad thing per se.

Just for a personal perspective, I probably did grow up quicker in terms of my interests. I tended to act more "serious" because I wanted to be perceived older (although this was a bit later on - not so much in my "little kid" years, more in my older kid/early adolescent stage of about 9 to 14). I was more creative and into daydreaming, so I found talking with adults/people older than me more stimulating and interesting than typical playground stuff with other kids - although I did that too. So I think, while depending on the person, it's good to have a balance. ;)

I do see what you mean, but I think a super geeky 6-year old is better than a bratty, noisy one most of the time, lol.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/03/07 at 10:35 am

Yeah, I can agree here to a point. Although, I don't think an older acting kid is a bad thing per se.

Just for a personal perspective, I probably did grow up quicker in terms of my interests. I tended to act more "serious" because I wanted to be perceived older (although this was a bit later on - not so much in my "little kid" years, more in my older kid/early adolescent stage of about 9 to 14). I was more creative and into daydreaming, so I found talking with adults/people older than me more stimulating and interesting than typical playground stuff with other kids - although I did that too. So I think, while depending on the person, it's good to have a balance. ;)

I do see what you mean, but I think a super geeky 6-year old is better than a bratty, noisy one most of the time, lol.

I don't mean geeky,i love geeky kids :)
I mean children shouldn't be treated as grown-ups or expected to act as one,even the "serious" ones.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/07 at 10:38 am

I don't mean geeky,i love geeky kids :)
I mean children shouldn't be treated as grown-ups or expected to act as one,even the "serious" ones.

Oh yeah, it's all good - that makes sense and I agree (sorry if I misread it the first time, lol). Some people probably do expect too much out of kids in terms of things like that.

Written By: Tia on 04/03/07 at 10:40 am

my folks told me i was noisy and hyper till about the age of 7 or 8 and then i suddenly became sullen and introspective. no one knows what happened. it took me years to break out of it, but now i'm noisy and hyper again! much to y'all's chagrin.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/07 at 10:41 am

my folks told me i was noisy and hyper till about the age of 7 or 8 and then i suddenly became sullen and introspective. no one knows what happened. it took me years to break out of it, but now i'm noisy and hyper again! much to y'all's chagrin.

I've always been a bit of both. ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/03/07 at 10:43 am

You missed something:

The miracle of life + DRUGS!! > cable ;D

Written By: Tia on 04/03/07 at 10:47 am

although cable can be nearly as painful as the mystery of life w/o drugs. particularly those damn makeover shows.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/03/07 at 11:09 am

If I have my kids at a "kids" place like Chuck E. Cheese or McD's playland or something like that, I pretty much let them do what they want.  If we're in a restaurant or store or somewhere they need to be "more serious," they know I expect them to act in a certain way.  Like some of the other parents on here, we've always taken our kids to restaurants/stores/movies/etc and have never had a problem with them misbehaving because they know what will happen if they do.

AFA the "ignore the behavior and they won't do it," it works with some kids, but obviously, if the kid is throwing a tantrum in public for more than 1 minute or so, IT'S NOT WORKING!!!  The most effective way to deal with something like that is to remove the kid from the situation....like Lorac said, take the kid outside to the car where it's REALLY boring and they can scream to their heart's content.  What I would do is take them to the car, strap them in, and don't let them play or anything.....they'll soon figure out that it's more "fun" to behave and be able to move around than sit strapped in a car.  A friend used to take her kid to the car, but let him play so if he didn't want to be somewhere, he'd just throw a fit, knowing that he'd get to go out to the car and do what he wanted.  When I suggested to her that she NOT let him play, it only took 3 times until he learned that throwing a tantrum in a store would end with him being strapped in his car seat with nothing to do and if he behaved, he'd get to play when they were done.  I usually get my kids a "treat" if they've been really good in a store.  I don't do it every time so they try to be "extra good" so they can get one ;)

Written By: spaceace on 04/03/07 at 9:33 pm

My parents want me to have kids so they can have a good laugh.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/03/07 at 10:20 pm

My parents want me to have kids so they can have a good laugh.

STICK IT TO THE MAN!! Be childless.

Written By: spaceace on 04/04/07 at 12:43 am

STICK IT TO THE MAN!! Be childless.

Adopt a lot of stray animals instead!!!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/wolfgang.gif

Yes, they're wolves.  *sighs* I was looking for dogs.

Written By: Stompgal on 04/04/07 at 4:02 am

Here are the current ages of my four younger cousins who I haven't seen since Christmas Eve:

Megan - turned 6 last month
Bethan - 8
Lewis - 10
Katie - 14

I also have three older cousins aged 24, 23 and 21.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/07 at 3:39 pm

I would like to have but I'll stick to Robin's decision not to.Since she has an anxiety disorder It'll make it very difficult for the both of us to keep the baby.

Check for new replies or respond here...