inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Recipes for the Foodies

Written By: danootaandme on 03/14/06 at 7:00 pm

Here is a thread for foodies to post their favorite recipes.  I'll have to dig one up. 

Subject: Re: Recipes for the Foodies

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/14/06 at 7:08 pm

Cool!  :) I'm gonna post my chili verde recipe later tonight when I get home. that stuff is so good. and my father-in-law taught me how to make a Chinese soup called Jook which is pretty awesome. recipes coming later. Thanks for the thread Danoota or is it Me?  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 03/14/06 at 7:10 pm

MUST... RESIST.. THREADJACKING.. URGES.

;D Any older user will get that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/14/06 at 9:20 pm

MUST... RESIST.. THREADJACKING.. URGES.

;D Any older user will get that.

yes...I totally get that one! ;)  BTW, we already have, I believe, 2 "recipe" type threads that had already been started.....although, I know it can be a pain to search way back for them...so, no worries. ;)

Written By: audkal on 03/14/06 at 11:32 pm

Well here goes.  This is one of my favorite recipes as far as sweets go.

----------------------------------------------
S'more Squares:

6 cups Golden Grahams cereal
3 Tablespoons Margarine
6 cups mini-marshmallows
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips

1. Grease a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, place Golden Grahams cereal.
3. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt margarine.
4. Add marshmallows and corn syrup to saucepan, stirring until melted and smooth.
5. Add milk chocolate chips, stirring until melted.
6. Remove from heat and pour over cereal in bowl, mixing until evenly coated.
7. Press mixture into prepared pan.
8. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.

Tip: These are easier to cut into squares when they are cooled at room temperature rather than in the fridge.
----------------------------------------------

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/14/06 at 11:37 pm

In honor of St. Patty's day coming up, I'll post my recipe for Colcannon, something I make every year.

Colcannon

4 large potatoes approx 2 lb
7 oz cabbage
4oz of butter
2 to 3 scallions

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 9:04 am

Pina Colada Pie

1-1/2 cups Coconut

3/4 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs

1/3 cup butter, melted

1 1/2cups cold milk

1/2 cup dark rum

2 pkg. (4-serving size each) JELL-O Vanilla or Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling

1 cup Sour Cream

4oz can crushed pineapple, drained

4oz can of mandarin orange slices

3/4 cup Miniature Marshmallows

1/2 cup whipped cream

6 maraschino cherries, halved

PREHEAT oven to 325

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/18/06 at 11:08 pm

Honey Walnut Shrimp

Ingredients:
1 pound pre-peeled, de-veined large or medium shrimp
1/2 cup of walnuts
5 cups of water
1 cup sugar
2 cups canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup egg whites
2 Tbs honey
3 Tbs mayonnaise
1 Tbs fresh limon juice
1/2 tbs sweetened, condensed milk
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil

Rinse walnuts, then boil in 5 cups water, continually changing water until clear.(this is called blanching)
When clear, boil with sugar until sugar dissolves.
Heat 2 cups oil until almost smoking, then deep fry walnuts until they're shiny and brown, no longer golden.
Place walnuts on cookie sheet, let cool.
Mix cornstarch and egg whites together to form a thick, sticky texture and mix well with shrimp.  Set aside.
Mix honey, mayo, condensed milk, and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth. Heat oil until boiling, then deep fry shrimp until golden brown.  Drain, then fold into honey-mayo mixture.  Fold in the walnuts, make sure to mix it up well.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/19/06 at 3:16 pm

Spicy Southwestern Hummus

Ingredients:

2 16 ounce cans of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 cup of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of tahini*
8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 slices of jarred jalape

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/20/06 at 1:08 am

BZ's Chili Verde:  BZ is a longtime friend and coworker who gave me this simple recipe of his and I've made it at least 2 dozen times and it always comes out great and everyone loves it.
1-1/2 to 2lbs pork. I used to use pork shoulder, but it's a lot of work trimming the fat and bone so now I use pork tenderloin from Costco, it's more expensive, but there is no waste and it is more tender.
1 small can Ortega green chili's or jalapenos
1 small can tomato sauce
3-4 stalks celery diced
1 med onion diced
3-4 cloves minced garlic

Cut the meat into small pieces, dust with flour and season with celery salt and pepper. Brown the meat in olive oil. Once all the meat has been browned, add 1 cup of water to meat in fry pan and continue cooking until water evaporates. While meat is cooking, use a 2 quart sauce pan to fry onions, garlic and celery and chilis. Once browned and tender, add tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sauce to meat, splash in some tabasco or Franks hot sauce with it and add 2-3 cups of water to just barely cover meat. Simmer/cook for an hour or until meat is fork tender. To  thicken the sauce, add 3 tblspns cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and stir in. That's it, now warm up some tortillas and enjoy.

Written By: lasvegasbill on 03/20/06 at 1:39 am

I will have to get back to you guys on this I just eat what my wife cooks,,,,, She is a chef so I eat pretty good//////

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/20/06 at 1:43 am

I will have to get back to you guys on this I just eat what my wife cooks,,,,, She is a chef so I eat pretty good//////
just don't forget. It took me 5days to get back here with a recipe, but it's my favorite and a good one, so next time you need to bring a recipe to the table lasvegasbill  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/06 at 1:40 pm

I'm the same way only it is my husband who cooks-and a d@mn good one at that. Last night he made Chicken L'Orange ala Carlos. VERY YUMMY. I will have to send him here to post the recipe.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/20/06 at 1:47 pm

I'm the same way only it is my husband who cooks-and a d@mn good one at that. Last night he made Chicken L'Orange ala Carlos. VERY YUMMY. I will have to send him here to post the recipe.

Cat

Ok, so here's what I did.

Marinate 1 chicken breast (boneless) per person in orange juice for several hours.  remove the breast.

Add a few tablespoons of honey, a few dashes of tarriaki sauce and a few drops of liquid hickory smoke and mix.

Return the breast and marinate some more.

Bake at 350 until chicken is almost done.  Top with orange sections or slices and broil for 2-3 minutes. 

I served with rice, but pasta would do just as well to soak up the gravy.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/22/06 at 11:57 pm

Ok, so here's what I did.

Marinate 1 chicken breast (boneless) per person in orange juice for several hours.  remove the breast.

Add a few tablespoons of honey, a few dashes of tarriaki sauce and a few drops of liquid hickory smoke and mix.

Return the breast and marinate some more.

Bake at 350 until chicken is almost done.  Top with orange sections or slices and broil for 2-3 minutes. 

I served with rice, but pasta would do just as well to soak up the gravy.

That sounds wonderful,  Carlos.  I think I might actually try making it sometime.. I bet it would go well with some brown rice. :)

This is one of the best desserts there is:

Banana Pudding

1 box of Vanilla Wafer cookies
1 box Vanilla pudding mix
4 or 5 ripe bananas

Layer the bottom of a 9" x 9" baking dish with Vanilla Wafers.  Peel the bananas and slice them into quarter inch thick round slices. 

Follow the instructions on the pudding mix and make your pudding.

Put a layer of banana slices over the Wafers,  covering the Wafers as much as possible.  Take about half of the pudding, and cover the layer of bananas.  Put down another layer of Wafers, another layer of banana slices, another layer of pudding, and one more layer of Wafers.

Put it in the refrigerator and allow it to chill, preferably overnight.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 12:36 am

This is my recipe for Fried Chicken:

1 4-lb fryer
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
Canola or vegetable oil for frying
salt/pepper
rosemary
thyme
lemon zest
breadcrumbs

Cut chicken into serving pieces.  Mix the flour, salt/pepper, lemon zest, rosemary, and thyme.  You don't want to use too much zest, btw.  The lemon flavor should be somewhat subtle.  First dip the chicken pieces into the flour, then egg whites, and finally breadcrumbs.  Fry in hot oil for at least 30 minutes.  To get it crispier,  take the chicken out after cooking and drain it on paper towels, then put it back in the pan for about 5 minutes.  This is called "twice fried".

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/23/06 at 11:07 am

^Sounds yummy!  :)

I'll have to post my Chicken Adobo recipe shortly...

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/26/06 at 4:16 pm

Cat mentioned my shrimp recipie so here is the one I used most recently, its Tai style.

Enough shrimp, marinated in cream de coco (like coco lopez, as in pina colada)  add a bit of soy or teriaki sauce, some garlic.  Cut onions into strips, bell peppers into chunks, broccoli into bit-size pieces, muchrooms sliced, carrot chunks etc.  Drain some of the marinade into your wak or fry pan, add the veggies and heat to soften.  Then add the rest of the marinade and the shrimp.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I serve over my mom's rice recipie.  Heat oil in a sauce pan, add rice and heat, cover with water about twice the height of the rice.  Bring to a boil, stirring once.  reduce water to level of rice, turn off heat COMPLETELY, cover, and let stand until everything else is done.  Two pots and a really good meal.  Comate bien.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/26/06 at 5:30 pm

Cat mentioned my shrimp recipie so here is the one I used most recently, its Tai style.

Enough shrimp, marinated in cream de coco (like coco lopez, as in pina colada)  add a bit of soy or teriaki sauce, some garlic.  Cut onions into strips, bell peppers into chunks, broccoli into bit-size pieces, muchrooms sliced, carrot chunks etc.  Drain some of the marinade into your wak or fry pan, add the veggies and heat to soften.  Then add the rest of the marinade and the shrimp.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I serve over my mom's rice recipie.  Heat oil in a sauce pan, add rice and heat, cover with water about twice the height of the rice.  Bring to a boil, stirring once.  reduce water to level of rice, turn off heat COMPLETELY, cover, and let stand until everything else is done.  Two pots and a really good meal.  Comate bien.

Sounds great. I love a good stir-fry! 8)

Thanks. :)  I'm looking forward to your recipe...

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/29/06 at 11:04 pm

So how bout that Chicken Adobo?

Check for new replies or respond here...