inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Indirect Dislike/Hate

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/14/06 at 9:54 pm

Have you ever had a situation where you ended up totally hating/disliking something/someone...just because they were indirectly related to something else?  For example....Have you ever TOTALLY hated a musical group or maybe a certain song just because it happened to be a favorite of your significant other's ex?  OR....maybe you had a bad experience with someone who had the last name Orange....and therefore, you cannot stomach even getting anywhere near an orange...etc...

Anybody have any other situations/examples of this they would like to share...

Subject: Re: Indirect Dislike/Hate

Written By: whistledog on 03/14/06 at 10:49 pm

I had my heartbroken from an on-line romance by a woman from America whom I chatted with for like some 2 years.  She was a big fan of the band Prism, a group I also like.  When she crushed me, I was so sad/angry, I couldn't even listen to Prism anymore because it always reminded me of her, but then after a long while, I realized, why should I stop listening to them just cause of her.  She can go to hell ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/14/06 at 10:59 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 9:19 am

NO...I'm not so irritational. I'd like the Beach Boys even if they were mass-murdering terrorists who ate whales for breakfast...sure, I'd draw a target on Mike Love's head, but I'd listen LISTEN to their music... :)

Written By: Gis on 03/15/06 at 10:15 am

OMG when hubby and I were thinking of names for kids, he nixed most of the ones I like because he knew someone who had a kid with the name of XYZ who was a total brat....it was a friggin' NIGHTMARE....we're lucky our kids HAVE names :D
We were talking about that at work. How you get to love or hate a name because of someone you knew with that name. For example I don't like the name Laura because the only 2 Laura's I've known have been total b*tches ! To the other end, I've always liked the name Jason as I've always known fantastic Jasons !  ;D 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/15/06 at 12:02 pm

Theres this guy at my church who happens to resemble my ex-husband, and even though I know that this guy is a nice person, and has nice things said about him...I can hardly even bring myself to look at him....isn't that awful? :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 03/15/06 at 12:07 pm

When I was born, my mother wanted to name me Gregory.  She had her heart set on that name, but my dad said no because he knew a gay guy in university named Gregory, and that if I was given the name Gregory, my dad would always think of that guy  :D

Written By: KKay on 03/15/06 at 1:16 pm

My mom originally was going to name me Wendy.

at the last minute my dad changed it and he said he had his reasons...I suspect indirect hate.

Written By: Apricot on 03/15/06 at 2:01 pm

My ex-girlfriend was a big Ween fan, as was the girl I cared for before her (who did a LOT of mean things to me, and basically ruined my confidence in myself), so I don't like Ween so much these days.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/15/06 at 4:15 pm

We were talking about that at work. How you get to love or hate a name because of someone you knew with that name. For example I don't like the name Laura because the only 2 Laura's I've known have been total b*tches ! To the other end, I've always liked the name Jason as I've always known fantastic Jasons !  ;D 

My mom knows a Laura like that...

Maybe that name DOES something!

Written By: Apricot on 03/15/06 at 4:25 pm

Maybe that name DOES something!

I've known two Lauras, both of which were really nice. One was my first girlfriend.

Written By: La Roche on 03/15/06 at 4:26 pm

My mom originally was going to name me Wendy.

at the last minute my dad changed it and he said he had his reasons...I suspect indirect hate.

It could be that he envisioned the beatings you would recieve throughout your life.

My mom wanted to call me Henry or Percy..

Thankfully my Father was a sensible man.

Written By: gemini on 03/15/06 at 4:33 pm

OMG when hubby and I were thinking of names for kids, he nixed most of the ones I like because he knew someone who had a kid with the name of XYZ who was a total brat....it was a friggin' NIGHTMARE....we're lucky our kids HAVE names :D

We went through the same thing. I'd say I went to school with a girl with that name and she was a total b*tch or the guy was an idiot etc. . . . I ended up finding one of the names by reading the newspaper one day, and I saw a name and said that's the one!

Written By: jaytee on 03/15/06 at 4:44 pm

I went on a double date with my cousin, her boyfriend and his friend when I was about 16.  My date (who I wasn't overly keen on) thought it was romantic to sing "Rhinestone Cowboy" in my ear and then stick his tongue down my throat.  I absolutely HATE Rhinestone Cowboy.

I usually find it hard to warm to men/boys called "Reece" or "Rhys" .  Anyone I've ever met by that name has been a total pain in arse.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 5:19 pm

My mom wanted to call me Henry or Percy..

Thankfully my Father was a sensible man.

You were lucky!  Henry could have been Hank, but Percy!?  I think you would have been a world of hurt for that one.

Written By: La Roche on 03/15/06 at 5:21 pm

You were lucky!  Henry could have been Hank, but Percy!?  I think you would have been a world of hurt for that one.

No kiddin. I think she wanted me to live a life of unending misery  ;D

Written By: jaytee on 03/15/06 at 6:24 pm

My cousin had a white desexed cat called Percy.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 8:31 pm

If your parents named you (in all innocence) Adolf Hitler, or Joseph Stalin (maybe the latter's less likely) would you change your name? I know there are people called Adolf Hitler...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/15/06 at 8:35 pm

I went on a double date with my cousin, her boyfriend and his friend when I was about 16.  My date (who I wasn't overly keen on) thought it was romantic to sing "Rhinestone Cowboy" in my ear and then stick his tongue down my throat.  I absolutely HATE Rhinestone Cowboy.

However, I note that you didn't mention the tongue thing one way or 'tother, jaytee  ;D ;D

Written By: Apricot on 03/15/06 at 8:44 pm

If your parents named you (in all innocence) Adolf Hitler, or Joseph Stalin (maybe the latter's less likely) would you change your name? I know there are people called Adolf Hitler...

I think they'd realize before they really named you that... and I'd change it.

Written By: La Roche on 03/15/06 at 10:32 pm

No, but I think I might change my name to Josef Mengele, I'd insist on being called 'THE ANGEL OF DEATH'

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 7:39 am

However, I note that you didn't mention the tongue thing one way or 'tother, jaytee  ;D ;D

It goes without saying - I hated the tonsil hockey too (with him anyway) :P  ;)  This horrible event happened at Mt. Gravatt Lookout after a night out at the Ekka!!  :D :D  (Only Fuss will understand what I'm talking about) :)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/16/06 at 2:49 pm

When I was in the Army, for about a week or two they made me room with this guy who was the company f**k-up. He had a Fender Stratocaster and was actually a decent guitar player, and he used to always play "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. Well, he got kicked out of the Army for basically just giving up, and before he left he stabbed me in the back and got me in some trouble for no other reason than that he knew he'd never see me again. Because of that, whenever I hear "Wonderful Tonight," which I still think is a great song, it still reminds me of this P.O.S.  >:(

Written By: Step-chan on 03/16/06 at 2:51 pm

Nothing that I can think of, there are songs that remind me of different things from video games to anime to certain people, but nothing in a bad way.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/17/06 at 10:36 pm

It goes without saying - I hated the tonsil hockey too (with him anyway) :P  ;)  This horrible event happened at Mt. Gravatt Lookout after a night out at the Ekka!!  :D :D  (Only Fuss will understand what I'm talking about) :)

Oh, that made me laugh  ;D  Mt Gravatt lookout following the Ekka.  What a friggin' Romeo this guy must have been  :D  He's my hero, what a dead-set legend, muwahaha  ;)

Written By: KKay on 03/17/06 at 10:43 pm

It could be that he envisioned the beatings you would recieve throughout your life.

I got them anyway, honey...

psst....check your messages!

Written By: Dagwood on 03/17/06 at 10:53 pm

That is part of the reason it was so hard for me to find a name for my daughter.  Every time I would come up with a name I liked, I would instantly think of someone from my past that I disliked that had the name.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/18/06 at 1:58 am

Well, I wouldn't say hate.. but my cousin and I both are reluctant to warm up to anyone who drives a Honda.  This is after both of us being cut off by so many Hondas, and my cousin being hit-and-run by a Honda driver, and having to listen to various Hondas with tinted windows blaring rap from their speakers.  No offense to anyone here who drives a Honda, btw.

Written By: Apricot on 03/18/06 at 1:03 pm

I have a thing against people named "Brandy".. I've known 4, none of which were nice people.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/18/06 at 1:54 pm

I have a thing against people named "Brandy".. I've known 4, none of which were nice people.

LOL that's my dog's name! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/06 at 10:01 pm

LOL...that's my sister's name! ;) ;D

Written By: Apricot on 03/18/06 at 11:39 pm

LOL...that's my sister's name! ;) ;D

I remember hearing that a while back, actually. I'm speaking in terms of Brandys I've met personally.

Written By: jaytee on 03/20/06 at 6:56 am

Oh, that made me laugh  ;D  Mt Gravatt lookout following the Ekka.  What a friggin' Romeo this guy must have been  :D  He's my hero, what a dead-set legend, muwahaha  ;)

:P :D

Written By: Southern Image on 03/24/06 at 11:42 am

Yep. I have a hard time watching movies that star either Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman.

Check for new replies or respond here...