inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you find the term, 'white trash' offensive?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 9:33 am

Probably touching on the finer points of ethics.etc, but for those who classify themselves as 'white' do you think terms like 'white boy,' 'white trash.etc' are offensive?
It's often termed 'reverse racism' which I know, is a totally incorrect term (which always pisses me off, because reverse racism would be, probably loving other races more than your own race; no wait, that would still be racism, it would be being NOT-racist. Racism is not just by whites against blacks). Or are they justified, merely payback for years of (more much prevalent) racism mainly targeted towards blacks? We all tend to take it a bit lightly - do you think it is not respecting the wishes of the minority? In most cases, when publicly used, it is not used to villify 'whites' (not ALWAYS), but it seems racism not relating to the usual BLACK-WHITE divide is equally 'tolerated' or at least treated with complacency by the public. Should people speak out more?
I'm no crusader or anything, and I don't 'lean' one way or the another, I'm just interested to hear your views on the issue.

Subject: Re: Do you find the term, 'white trash' offensive?

Written By: audkal on 03/15/06 at 10:50 am

I don't really get offended just 'cause I'm used to hearing it....in a way I should be offended seeing as a lot of black people won't even tolerate being called "Black" (I know this isn't true for all of them).  They'd prefer "African American"......I'm white, I was born in America, but I have German roots.....should I have people call me "German American"?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/15/06 at 12:08 pm

words like that don't offend me at all.

Written By: YWN on 03/15/06 at 12:20 pm

Since white people in Europe and North America (except Mexico) make up the majority of the population, they probably don't identify themselves as "white" the same way minorities would identify themselves as, say, Latino.  Therefore they wouldn't be offended by such terms.  However, a white person growing up in , I don't know, an African country where he is a minority may be offended by such a term.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 1:13 pm

I get offended when I hear people use the term "white trash".  "Trailer trash" pisses me off, too.  It is all stereotyping and doesn't do
any good.

Written By: Apricot on 03/15/06 at 3:54 pm

I'm white. I know it. There are other people who share my skintone, and are therefore white. Some people have different skintones. They have other names. If we get all up-in-arms about things that aren't intended to be offensive, it's just how it appears (black, white, etc.).. well, it just doesn't make sense, now does it?

"white trash" would offend me, not because it's "white" trash, but because someone just called me trash. Although the thought that it has to be specified that you're white, it sounds like white is a specific kind of trash, different from other trash. And this kinda indirectly implies all non-white people are trash, and a few white people are.

So it's a bit rude, yes, but nothing that offends me personally.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/06 at 3:55 pm

So why don't they have a black trash term? ???

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/15/06 at 3:59 pm

Exactly what Andrew said.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 5:12 pm

So why don't they have a black trash term? ???

they do, ni**er

Written By: YWN on 03/15/06 at 5:14 pm

they do, ni**er

...for a second I thought you were calling Doms that, which struck me as funny.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/15/06 at 5:15 pm

LOL  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 5:16 pm

No, because I'm not white trash.  White trash to me is whatever Britney Spears and the people who appear on Cops are.  I'm not that.  Therefore, I'm not offended.  Some people are redneck hicks and are called as such.  I live in Georgia.  I see them all the time.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 5:17 pm

I'm white. I know it. There are other people who share my skintone, and are therefore white. Some people have different skintones. They have other names. If we get all up-in-arms about things that aren't intended to be offensive, it's just how it appears (black, white, etc.).. well, it just doesn't make sense, now does it?

"white trash" would offend me, not because it's "white" trash, but because someone just called me trash. Although the thought that it has to be specified that you're white, it sounds like white is a specific kind of trash, different from other trash. And this kinda indirectly implies all non-white people are trash, and a few white people are.

So it's a bit rude, yes, but nothing that offends me personally.

You're overthinking it.  Have you seen Cops?  Taken a good look at Britney Spears recently? 

That's white trash.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/15/06 at 5:20 pm

It doesn't offend me personally, but that doesn't mean I'd object to its nonusage. I do think it has certain implications which some people don't think about when using it that speaks much more negatively about the user of the terminology than anyone to whom it might be applied...

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/15/06 at 5:42 pm

I find the term to be somewhat offensive, in that it kind of devalues and cheapens people to a certain degree. I wouldn't at all be surprised if there's people out there, who are members of the so-called "elite, " that think the term "white trash" applies to anyone who doesn't have a degree from an Ivy League school.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/06 at 5:44 pm

I find the term to be somewhat offensive, in that it kind of devalues and cheapens people to a certain degree. I wouldn't at all be surprised if there's people out there, who are members of the so-called "elite, " that think the term "white trash" applies to anyone who doesn't have a degree from an Ivy League school.

Oh, I'm sure there are people like that out there, but when I hear the phrase "white trash", I see a specific look or a specific type of person.  I think most people fit into that category.  I personally don't know anyone who thinks "white trash" means not having a college degree.  Neither of my parents have college degrees and they are most definitely not white trash.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/15/06 at 5:52 pm

Oh, I'm sure there are people like that out there, but when I hear the phrase "white trash", I see a specific look or a specific type of person.  I think most people fit into that category.  I personally don't know anyone who thinks "white trash" means not having a college degree.  Neither of my parents have college degrees and they are most definitely not white trash.
Oh, I know that, and I certainly wasn't implying that I felt that way at all. It's just that the term seems to be a convenient excuse to look down on certain people and to say that they somehow don't "count." And certainly there are plenty of people out there who are lazy and ignorant and are deserving of that label, but I try not to judge people based solely on their appearance.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/15/06 at 6:59 pm

No, I am not offended by words,terms or phrases. I have
more important things to worry about.

Written By: Zella on 03/15/06 at 9:46 pm

Let's see....

We have more than 3 junked vehicles in our back yard...

We leave our Christmas lights up on the house all year long...

We have dirt instead of a lawn...

We have a pitbull...

Yep, I think we qualify....  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 03/15/06 at 11:20 pm

Let's see....

We have more than 3 junked vehicles in our back yard...

We leave our Christmas lights up on the house all year long...

We have dirt instead of a lawn...

We have a pitbull...

Yep, I think we qualify....  ;D

Lol.

It depends on the situation if I find "white trash" offensive; if it is directed towards me then generally no, I don't. If some rich snotty bitch says it (as happened recently) it does irritate me. It is more of a class put down than anything racial IMO.

I have heard it in racial arguements; trotting out a worn-out and usually inaccurate phrase is only going to make you look like more of an idiot than you already are.

BTW, I've learned that when (I don't know nor care the politically correct way to phrase this so I'll just throw this out) an 'urban black person' calls me "My nigga" it is actually a compliment and generally a nod of their acceptance of me.

Of course, I don't say it back since I still haven't figured out when (if ever) it is acceptable for a white guy to call a black person any form of the N-word. I have called my black friends "my white trash" before since we both know I am joking, but I wouldn't say it to just anyone.

I suppose it all boils down to the manner in which "white trash" is used.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 3:03 am

I wouldn't think black people would call whites ******s (but that my just be one of my ignorant assumptions)...and I suppose it depends on the person. But yeah, one would take it as a compliment.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/16/06 at 3:32 am

Never really heard it used (except for music and movies), so don't really care about the phrase.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/16/06 at 3:33 am

I wouldn't think black people would call whites ******s (but that my just be one of my ignorant assumptions)...and I suppose it depends on the person. But yeah, one would take it as a compliment.

They do not say n****r but "nigga"; there is an enormous difference in those words where I live, even when a black person says it to another black person. If "n****r" is used it is usually followed by an ass-whooping (or possibly shooting) whereas "nigga" is comraderie, like "dog" or "bro", both of which are used much more frequently anyway.

Back to the topic thread, "White Trash" doesn't really have an equivalent meaning to either of the terms I've listed above. From the few times I've heard it used it has been white on white class conflicts instead of anything racial.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/06 at 2:49 pm

they do, ni**er

schvatza. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 03/16/06 at 2:57 pm

I don't really get offended just 'cause I'm used to hearing it....in a way I should be offended seeing as a lot of black people won't even tolerate being called "Black" (I know this isn't true for all of them).  They'd prefer "African American"......I'm white, I was born in America, but I have German roots.....should I have people call me "German American"?

I can see your point on that, should I call myself Irish/English/German/Portuguese American? That would be too convulted for me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 3:04 pm

Nah, not really.  Getting offended by insults is in reality just as ignorant as insulting somebody, because they really only should hurt if they're true.

I'm not white trash, and even if I was the fact that they called me that would just be pointing out the truth, so there's no reason I should be offended.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/16/06 at 3:58 pm

Well, I am  a pretty fly pimp, you can't deny! But it's Ok, I won't hurt you, because I don't front, I don't front. It's coo'.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/17/06 at 9:28 pm

They do not say n****r but "nigga"; there is an enormous difference in those words where I live, even when a black person says it to another black person. If "n****r" is used it is usually followed by an ass-whooping (or possibly shooting) whereas "nigga" is comraderie, like "dog" or "bro", both of which are used much more frequently anyway.

Back to the topic thread, "White Trash" doesn't really have an equivalent meaning to either of the terms I've listed above. From the few times I've heard it used it has been white on white class conflicts instead of anything racial.

Hmmm...the difference between 'n*gger' and 'n*gga' isn't exactly obvious when spoken...in fact (depending on your accent) they usually sound exactly the same. So I don't quite see your point here. ???

Written By: Dagwood on 03/17/06 at 10:46 pm

Doesn't offend me in the least.  I've never been big on labels, I tend to ignore them and look at the person.  IMO, people look too hard for ways to be offended.  I agree that there are seriously offensive words (the 'N' word comes to mind) but for the most part I think it is people being way to sensitive.  (This coming from someone who calls herself trailer trash...I live in a trailer, drive a pick up and listen to country music.  I always say the only thing missing is a gun rack but I hate guns so that won't happen)

Written By: Red Ant on 03/18/06 at 3:48 am

Hmmm...the difference between 'n*gger' and 'n*gga' isn't exactly obvious when spoken...in fact (depending on your accent) they usually sound exactly the same. So I don't quite see your point here. ???

That's the main reason you usually don't say them to a black person. The difference is in the context as well:

Friendly (among close friends): "What's up my nigga?"

Violent: "N*gger do we have a problem here?"

The first would result in a handshake, the second a fight.

The above examples are actual quotes I've heard from one black person to another. There is a clear difference in the way they pronounce the N-words.

By the way, I'm not racist at all, just putting out what I know. Many of the blacks around here refer to each other in a friendly way as "nigga" and consider "N*gger" highly offensive.

Here, check out Urban Dictionary's defintions #5,6,8,9, and 12. Ignore all the cursing and racist BS there:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nigga

Also, here is the unedited defintion #36:

"First off, the word "nigga" has nothing to do with race. Its just a word you call your friends instead of "homie" "buddy" "dawg". Anyone can say it; blacks, whites, latinos, asians, dont matter, and if you think its a word only for black people, then you live in a very rich all-white snobby neighborhood. I'm white and I call all my friends "nigga", even the blacks ones."

That's the difference I was trying to point out before: "Nigga" is not racist where I live (though if you are white you'd better be careful where and around who you use it), "N*gger" is always racist.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/18/06 at 6:14 am

I think I'd refrain from using either term when talking to ANYONE...anyway,

Would you consider yourself, Red Ant, what they call a 'wigger'? Don't really know much about the urban terminology, since I live in Australia (where even native Aborigines in rare in the middle class 'burbs), although urban culture seems to be (not being racist here) particularly prominent to poorer people and those of non-anglo saxon background.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/18/06 at 7:09 am

I think I'd refrain from using either term when talking to ANYONE...anyway,

Would you consider yourself, Red Ant, what they call a 'wigger'? Don't really know much about the urban terminology, since I live in Australia (where even native Aborigines in rare in the middle class 'burbs), although urban culture seems to be (not being racist here) particularly prominent to poorer people and those of non-anglo saxon background.

Hell no.

Check out what Wigger means here (IMO the first 10 definitions are pretty much accurate):

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wigger

10a isn't applicable in my immediate area; there are no strictly black neighborhoods that are ghettos.

#7 is the movie "Malibu's Most Wanted" in a nutshell.

Check for new replies or respond here...