inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Scouts

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 2:23 pm

And if you were a girl scout or brownie, what the heck did yall do anyway? I can tell you what the cub scouts did, they sat around all day wondering what the brownies were doing.

Subject: Re: Scouts

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/06 at 2:35 pm

I was a brownie for 2 years and "flew up" but never was actually a girl scout.  :\'(  What did we do? Good question. I'm still wondering that myself.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 2:47 pm

Here's your brownie insignia:

http://www.girlscouts.org/images/program/gs_central/insignia/list/insignia_brownie_collage.jpg

and now "Girl scout brownie" will turn up on my office autocomplete field along with all sorts of other suspicious searches like "crying demons".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/06 at 2:49 pm

Here's your brownie insignia:

http://www.girlscouts.org/images/program/gs_central/insignia/list/insignia_brownie_collage.jpg

and now "Girl scout brownie" will turn up on my office autocomplete field along with all sorts of other suspicious searches like "crying demons".

I only know the first one. But it was back in the dark ages when I was a brownie.

You do know why boys join the cub scouts? They like to eat brownies. (Sorry. Couldn't resist)

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 03/17/06 at 2:55 pm

I was a Brownie, "flew-up" to Girl Scouts.  Never really liked it, but my parents thought it was good for us. 

Written By: Step-chan on 03/17/06 at 2:58 pm

Been a Boy Scout, which I really hated.

Written By: La Roche on 03/17/06 at 3:56 pm

I was a Scout for about a month and a half, breaking Ryan Ford's ankle in a soccer match and having a fight with some guy called Bret pretty much saw me leave badgeless.

It was OK, I never got the uniform  ;D

Written By: gemini on 03/17/06 at 4:20 pm

I was a Brownie. All I can remember us doing is making crafts, eating snacks and one time we got to be on a local TV kids show. I still have my little pin, like the first one in the picture you showed. I used to have the little hat, beanie I guess it was called. It's probably still around here somewhere.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/06 at 4:37 pm

I was a Brownie. All I can remember us doing is making crafts, eating snacks and one time we got to be on a local TV kids show. I still have my little pin, like the first one in the picture you showed. I used to have the little hat, beanie I guess it was called. It's probably still around here somewhere.

I still have my handbook.  ;D

Cat

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/17/06 at 4:42 pm

I was a cub scout for a short while, and later I was a boy scout for again a short while. I never really liked it much so I quit, plus there were a mere 3 of us in the boy scout troop.

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 4:45 pm

Dag! we're surrounded by ex-brownies! It's some kinda brownie black op, man...

Written By: La Roche on 03/17/06 at 6:27 pm

You know you'd like to eat some brownies.....admit it ;)

I love Brownies, as long as they're been out of the oven a little while..

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 6:28 pm

You know you'd like to eat some brownies.....admit it ;)
Ex-brownies, fo schnozzle.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/17/06 at 6:32 pm

none, though I was surrounded by scouts! My sister was a brownie and girl scout; my brother was a cub and boy scout.

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 6:34 pm

none, though I was surrounded by scouts! My sister was a brownie and girl scout; my brother was a cub and boy scout.
take cover!

Written By: gemini on 03/17/06 at 6:36 pm

Whatever happened to the Campfire Girls?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/06 at 6:38 pm

Whatever happened to the Campfire Girls?

I think they went up in smoke.  ;D

Cat

Written By: gemini on 03/17/06 at 6:44 pm

I think they went up in smoke.  ;D

Cat

I think you may be right!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/17/06 at 6:45 pm

I was a Tiger Cub and a Beaver.  Beavers had the worst outfits....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 6:50 pm

I was a Tiger Cub and a Beaver.  Beavers had the worst outfits....  ::)  ;D
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 8:12 pm

None of these qualify for me.  When I was little, I was in the Beavers, which is the Cub Scouts for kids aged 6 to 8.  I didn't like it, so I never made it to the Cubs or Scouts  :\'(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/17/06 at 8:15 pm

I remember when my mom wanted me to join. I was going through a major tomboy stage and replied.. "No! I'm not a tree hugger! >:-{.."

Written By: La Roche on 03/17/06 at 8:31 pm

I remember when my mom wanted me to join. I was going through a major tomboy stage and replied.. "No! I'm not a tree hugger! >:-{.."

Pride.. feelings.. words.. should have sent a poet.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 03/17/06 at 8:34 pm

Pride.. feelings.. words.. should have sent a poet.

:P

Written By: karen on 03/23/06 at 4:06 am

I had to vote Girl Scout though in the UK the equivalent is Girl Guide.  I went on to become a Rnager Guide then an Assistant Cub Scout Leader, the Cub Scout LEader.  I'm Deputy District Commisioner now

Written By: mandamoo on 03/23/06 at 4:16 am

I had to vote Girl Scout though in the UK the equivalent is Girl Guide. 

Same  :)

Before that I was a Brownie - got to meet and present a gift to Princess Margaret at the time and also made front page of the local paper  :) :P

Written By: karen on 03/23/06 at 4:26 am

Princess Margaret was the President of the UK Guide Association if I recall correctly.  Lucky you mooster!

Written By: lorac614 on 03/23/06 at 8:18 am

I was a Brownie.  I don't remember much except making a few crafts and going to some sort of picnic. 

Actually before you become a Brownie, you're a Daisy.

My niece is a Brownie and my sister is a leader, and boy do they do a lot of cool stuff.

Written By: karen on 03/23/06 at 8:38 am

I remember when I was a Junior Girl Scout, we went to the World's Fair down in Knoxville, Tennessee.  It was 12 girls and 2 adults and none of our parents had a problem with us going....10+ hours in a van.....I took my oldest's Webelos Den skiing this year and the parents were freaking out because we were travelling 3 1/2 hours :o

This is getting to be a real problem with some activities.  We can't do 'this' because it's too long a day or its "dangerous" or some other reason.  I'm not saying we should be laissez faire about safety but young people join scouting/guiding for the activities that are available and some of these are being restricted for the wrong reasons imo.

Written By: KKay on 03/23/06 at 8:53 am

And if you were a girl scout or brownie, what the heck did yall do anyway? I can tell you what the cub scouts did, they sat around all day wondering what the brownies were doing.

I was in scouts from Brownie to Cadets.
Brownies were great.  I learned to make butter, and peanut butter...( in Tottenville, that's an important skill- you can imagine)
I learned to sew (which I'm very good at) and cook.  I learned about animals at a farm and we helped at a nursing home...we also always marched in parades and I made all my own costumes.

In cadets we had a roller disco contest and I came in 2nd. I don't remember anything else about it.

Written By: nally on 03/23/06 at 12:28 pm

I think I was just a Cub Scout. That's as far as I went.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/06 at 2:37 pm

My grandfather, father and nephew all became eagle scouts. My brother was never into it. My sister is still into girl scouts-she is a leader.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/23/06 at 10:39 pm

I was a Brownie for a few years, and my mom was the Brownie leader for awhile.  I remember learning all sorts of Girl Scouts songs, selling cookies, earing badges, going to day camp, having holiday parties, learning how to make different crafts, etc.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 10:42 pm

I was a Boy Scout.

Written By: mandamoo on 03/24/06 at 3:32 am

Princess Margaret was the President of the UK Guide Association if I recall correctly.  Lucky you mooster!

She was the President of the Girl Guides Association here too. :)

I remember the day and the meeting vividly !  It was 1973 and I was 8 years old. I remember being most impressed that she listened intently to me as I prattled on with my 'well rehearsed' speech  :D

Written By: karen on 03/24/06 at 3:52 am

She was the President of the Girl Guides Association here too. :)

I remember the day and the meeting vividly !  It was 1973 and I was 8 years old. I remember being most impressed that she listened intently to me as I prattled on with my 'well rehearsed' speech  :D

I knew someone (sadly now passed on) who got to meet Lady Baden-Powell.  She said she was a lovely lady and very friendly.

Written By: KKay on 03/24/06 at 10:17 am

I used to looooove to wear my uniforms.  I Thought the tunics with pants were so cool.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/24/06 at 12:46 pm

I sucked at tieing knots.  I could only figure out how to tie the square not, and that took awhile.  I never really got any badges, on the camping trip the scout master bitched at me a lot(I couldn't seem to do anything right), and most of the other kids made fun of me.  I quit after about 3 months..

Written By: La Roche on 03/24/06 at 9:20 pm

I knew someone (sadly now passed on) who got to meet Lady Baden-Powell.

Baden Powell, the fella wasn't it. Who started the scouts?

He was all about creating a Hitler youth esque organisation right?

Good man, good man.

Written By: Apricot on 03/24/06 at 9:44 pm

I WAS ALL FOUR, SON!

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/24/06 at 10:15 pm

I WAS ALL FOUR, SON!

Well, I was none, son!

Written By: Tia on 03/24/06 at 11:21 pm

I WAS ALL FOUR, SON!
i believe someone just picked up on the fact that i made it possible to vote for all four options.

you've been a busy man/girl/boy/woman, my friend!

and to think i just karmaed you on an unrelated matter, too, and so can't karma you again.

Written By: karen on 04/04/06 at 7:21 am

Baden Powell, the fella wasn't it. Who started the scouts?

He was all about creating a Hitler youth esque organisation right?

Not at all his intention.  It was all about creating good citizens for the commonwealth.

Written By: Paul on 04/04/06 at 7:28 am

Not at all his intention.  It was all about creating good citizens for the commonwealth.

And, according to him, 'touching yourself' (yes, that way!) would have you burning in hell...!!

Written By: karen on 04/04/06 at 7:29 am

And, according to him, 'touching yourself' (yes, that way!) would have you burning in hell...!!

The book doesn't say that either.  Plus you have to put some of the things into the context of the time.

Written By: Paul on 04/04/06 at 7:33 am

The book doesn't say that either.  Plus you have to put some of the things into the context of the time.

Not taken from the book, but 'remembered' from a documentary I saw of him some while back...

Mind you, (rightly or wrongly) he made no secret that he took a dim view of the activity...

Written By: karen on 04/04/06 at 7:34 am

Not taken from the book, but 'remembered' from a documentary I saw of him some while back...

Mind you, (rightly or wrongly) he made no secret that he took a dim view of the activity...

Well I guess if you are keeping yourself occupied with that you aren't outdoors living the healthy life are you?

Written By: La Roche on 04/04/06 at 8:53 am

Well I guess if you are keeping yourself occupied with that you aren't outdoors living the healthy life are you?

;D Oh, I wouldn't be so sure

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:59 am

I remember going for a single sesson when I was 7 or so...they had it at the local church hall. Seems extra-curricular activities like scouts are unfortunately declining...Just like those after-school centres they had (the 'big kids daycare' - anyone remember those?).

Check for new replies or respond here...