inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Fitness & Exercise Thread

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/20/06 at 2:23 pm

Over the last five months, since I quit driving and transferred to a position at my job that requires much more physical labor, I have lost 30 lbs and am probably the lightest I've been in 10 years. However, I still have this stubborn pot belly that doesn't seem to be going away. Plus, I want to try and take myself to another level, if you know what I mean. Therefore, I've decided to join the YMCA and start working out (and to try and quit smoking).
    I was wondering if there's any members here who adhere to a regular exercise program, and if you could offer some advice on how I should best approach this (and how you stay motivated enough to stick with it).

Subject: Re: The Fitness & Exercise Thread

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/20/06 at 2:33 pm

Over the last five months, since I quit driving and transferred to a position at my job that requires much more physical labor, I have lost 30 lbs and am probably the lightest I've been in 10 years. However, I still have this stubborn pot belly that doesn't seem to be going away. Plus, I want to try and take myself to another level, if you know what I mean. Therefore, I've decided to join the YMCA and start working out (and to try and quit smoking).
    I was wondering if there's any members here who adhere to a regular exercise program, and if you could offer some advice on how I should best approach this (and how you stay motivated enough to stick with it).

I tend to exercise in spurts. I have realised I need to get on a regiman of some sort as my belly has also widened a bit in the last year or so. Usually what works for me is to do cardio. Treadmilling makes me feel good because I like to get my heart rate up and I feel healthier. Also, swimming is a great overall way to get everything pumping. One thing to do is to take alternate routes to staying fit.
Such as:

Use stairs instead of the elevator
Park further so you get more walking in to your destination.
Instead of driving, walk to a destination all together. (before I started driving I use to walk about 2 miles to the grocery store and bring a few bags back with me and a Round Table Pizza, lol)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/20/06 at 2:40 pm

^ definitely all of the above plus he must do plenty of  Star jumps while singing 'It's Fun To Stay at the YMCA'   ;D ;D

Written By: nally on 03/20/06 at 2:45 pm

I don't belong to an exercise program, but I do get exercise regularly by walking around. In addition, I've taken a fitness course at school, and a weight training course.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/06 at 3:06 pm

I run to the bathroom. Does that count?

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/06 at 3:14 pm

I too need to get back into exercising and lose some of this stupid weight :(.  I had lost a bunch of weight about 7 years ago, and was doing really well...I was jogging like 2-3 miles/day....but I let stress and things in my life get the better of me, and gained it back.  BUT....I just need to get motivated again!! ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/20/06 at 3:53 pm

^ yeah, same here. Stress and work have caused me to slow down. Plus school keeps me sitting in bed reading or doing homework, soaking up precious hours of time I could use to work up my heartbeat.

I think a buddy system does work better. It motivates me to keep going if someone else is around for the long haul. I think it would be fun to buddy up with you, Erin, if 3,000 miles didn't separate us, lol.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/20/06 at 3:54 pm

^ ..definitely all of the above plus you must do plenty of  Star jumps while singing 'It's Fun To Stay at the YMCA'   ;D ;D

I could totally see myself doing that.. Woo Hoo!!

Written By: Howard on 03/20/06 at 5:24 pm

I definitely walk a lot.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/20/06 at 5:26 pm

I could totally see myself doing that.. Woo Hoo!!

;D ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/06 at 10:21 pm

I think a buddy system does work better. It motivates me to keep going if someone else is around for the long haul. I think it would be fun to buddy up with you, Erin, if 3,000 miles didn't separate us, lol.

I agree!!....hey, maybe we can meet halfway! ;) ;D

Written By: rich1981 on 03/20/06 at 11:28 pm

You wouldn't believe how much frustration I've been through trying to get rid of my own potbelly and yes the last time I lost 30 lbs I may have been able to fit in smaller clothes but felt and perceived myself just the same. I myself have been a member of the Y for nearly 5 years. When I first exercised I started out with the row machine and weights and hardly touched the treadmill until my second year of membership. For a regular exercise program I typically run on the treadmill, usually between 30 - 60 minutes a day for 4-5 days a week. Over the 4 years I've been running I have gone down from 250 lbs  to 205 lbs overall and my speed has increased from 4 mph to over 6 mph. What I also think helps is a good diet too, especially eliminating all fast food.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/21/06 at 1:00 am

I agree!!....hey, maybe we can meet halfway! ;) ;D

We'll do what Forrest Gump did - "I just kept running and running..."

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/21/06 at 1:47 am

I too need to get back into exercising and lose some of this stupid weight :(.  I had lost a bunch of weight about 7 years ago, and was doing really well...I was jogging like 2-3 miles/day....but I let stress and things in my life get the better of me, and gained it back.  BUT....I just need to get motivated again!! ;)

Yeah, same here.

I seem to have a pattern in life (well, at least ever since I was 10 and got into PE at school): Getting in good shape every couple years, then letting myself go before I get so sick of it that I get back into shape, LOL.

However, I've peaked differently. A few years ago when I went to a gym (this was late high school, like 1998-2000) I had the most muscles. A little later, in 2001 I became a vegetarian and also started doing alot of running, so I was in my best cardio shape then. I also was pretty thin, around 165 pounds.

In the last 4-5 years though, I've gotten lazy, so I think it's time to do it again. I'm back up into the 180's, and I'd like to lose about fifteen. The only problem is it's kinda hard to do anything "loud" at home, since this apartment has neighbors below us, lol (that leaves simple stuff like situps/pushups). Also, I'm almost always busy every day, so I'm not always up for running 3x a week.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/21/06 at 5:03 am

I don't belong to an exercise program, but I do get exercise regularly by walking around. In addition, I've taken a fitness course at school, and a weight training course.
Edit

Is it the 'Charles Atlas' course?

Written By: Howard on 03/21/06 at 6:19 am

I run to the bathroom. Does that count?

Cat

Only when you're doing the diarrhea dance. ;D  :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/06 at 7:09 am

We'll do what Forrest Gump did - "I just kept running and running..."

LOL...we're bound to lose a few pounds if we did that, huh? ;) ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/06 at 7:11 am

However, I've peaked differently. A few years ago when I went to a gym (this was late high school, like 1998-2000) I had the most muscles. A little later, in 2001 I became a vegetarian and also started doing alot of running, so I was in my best cardio shape then. I also was pretty thin, around 165 pounds.

are you still a vegetarian?  A few years ago I gave up almost all meat (with eating just fish/chicken occasionally)....and overall, I felt a lot healthier about myself.  I don't eat a lot of red meat anyway...only once in awhile...and I don't like meat like pork, ham..etc..

Written By: Gis on 03/21/06 at 8:06 am

Do you drink much beer ? It's a well known fact that alcohol, especially beer gives men a belly. If so try cutting it out for a month, my fiance did that and the difference was very obvious ! 

Written By: Gis on 03/21/06 at 8:11 am

I'm the same, I lost a whole bunch of weight and felt fantastic, *then*  I moved in with my other half and so far have put on 2 stone  :-\\  (28 pounds). I just have no motivation it's pathetic. I keep buying exercise books and equipment and that's as far as it gets ! I bought one of those execise balls and got as far as pumping it up and now it's in the cupboard under the stairs !!  ;D

Written By: nally on 07/03/06 at 5:22 pm

Basically, the exercising that I do regularly is walking.

Written By: Paul on 07/03/06 at 5:25 pm

Do you drink much beer ? It's a well known fact that alcohol, especially beer gives men a belly. If so try cutting it out for a month, my fiance did that and the difference was very obvious ! 

Cut alcohol out for a (gulp!)...a whole...month?!!

I'm certain my body would pack up on me if I did!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/06 at 5:33 pm

It's a well known fact that alcohol, especially beer gives men a belly. If so try cutting it out for a month, my fiance did that and the difference was very obvious ! 

It's not just beer that gives guys a belly...

My hubby doesn't drink beer and yet he still has a paunch!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/06 at 5:34 pm

Basically, the exercising that I do regularly is walking.

Ditto!  :)

Written By: Paul on 07/03/06 at 5:37 pm

You feed him too well, young lady!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/06 at 5:43 pm

You feed him too well, young lady!  ;)

LOL!  I suppose!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/06 at 5:46 pm

My boyfriend has a little belly, but it's fun to poke at it. I think it's all due to too much root beer, as he doesn't drink beer.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/03/06 at 6:04 pm

i'm back into my running/power-walking lately and i'm considering participating in a 5 mile race in august  :)

Written By: MLB on 07/05/06 at 9:03 pm

I used to walk everywhere without a car, but now I am a licensed driver I need to get a fitness class or motivation to walk after dinner around the neighborhood.  Anyone have any good suggestions on something I can try to help me focus more on the positive? I need to work out my energies so I'm not frustrated with the silly little things children do at my work.  after 4 hours of my shift

Written By: nally on 09/27/06 at 4:57 pm

Bumpitty...

I thought we could use a little more exercise. O0

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/06 at 5:00 pm

ok cool...now we can continue talking about exercise.  I like to go walking sometimes...but I get bored. I take my MP3 player with me and listen to some music to pass the time away. Lately I have been doing some extensive exercise routines via a particular exercise DVD...it's very challenging...but worthwhile. ;)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/27/06 at 5:08 pm

Lately, the only exercise I've been getting is walking to/from class lugging my backpack (with my laptop so it's not light).  I did have to trek to the other side of campus today to sign up for a test so I don't have to take a particular class so I did a little more than normal ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/06 at 5:09 pm

Lately, the only exercise I've been getting is walking to/from class lugging my backpack (with my laptop so it's not light).  I did have to trek to the other side of campus today to sign up for a test so I don't have to take a particular class so I did a little more than normal ;)

that's actually good exercise (running around campus)...I remember when I was in college (and our campus wasn't even that big)...but sometimes I would be huffing and puffing after walking all over the place! :D

Written By: Gis on 09/29/06 at 3:19 am

well the new house is a longer walk from the station and there is a long hill to go up now too. I'm hopeing that will help my waistline but somehow I've a feeling i'll just eat more to compensate. ;D 

Written By: Morton on 09/29/06 at 5:12 am

I'm not sure how I stay so thin... I spend a good 15 hours a week sitting on my arse, I eat lots of crap like pizzas and mcdonalds, and the only real excercise I do is riding my bike to and from work, and I play the ocassional game of football. Not that i'm complaining, I don't mind being thin  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/29/06 at 9:52 am

I'm not sure how I stay so thin... I spend a good 15 hours a week sitting on my arse, I eat lots of crap like pizzas and mcdonalds, and the only real excercise I do is riding my bike to and from work, and I play the ocassional game of football. Not that i'm complaining, I don't mind being thin  :)

you are one of those lucky ones ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/06 at 12:48 am

Bumpitty...

I thought we could use a little more exercise. O0
Fitness makes the mind grow fonder.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/01/06 at 1:13 am

well..I guess my exercising is starting to pay off...I got into a pair of jeans today that didn't fit a little while ago....GO ME! LOL! ;D :D I still have a whole closet of "skinny clothes"...just waiting to be worn again! ;)

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/01/06 at 1:24 am

Keep up the good work until you hit 30 - it'll all pay off by then. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/07 at 6:59 pm

Well, I decided to give this thread a bump, beings that a bunch of us have been talking about dieting & exercise!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/09/07 at 7:00 pm

esox just gave me a ton of tips on how to be a SuperVulcan :D  I'll have to put it to some good use...

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/09/07 at 7:02 pm

I've been walking the dog about 1.5 - 2 miles at least 3x weekly - I've noticed a little difference in how things fit.  This weekend I'm doing a lot of housecleaning that will take some effort and I plan to move my weights into the spare room so I can work out with them on the days I don't walk the dog.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/07 at 7:03 pm

I've been walking the dog about 1.5 - 2 miles at least 3x weekly - I've noticed a little difference in how things fit.   This weekend I'm doing a lot of housecleaning that will take some effort and I plan to move my weights into the spare room so I can work out with them on the days I don't walk the dog.  :)

keep up the great work!  8)

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/09/07 at 7:05 pm

keep up the great work!  8)

Thanks Erin!  The walks aren't easy to get in sometimes b/c my work schedule is a little crazy at this point and there are days where it's dark when I get home so I don't walk then, but I was able to today, and after March 11th I won't work past 4 so hopefully I'll have lost some weight by the time I have to check in with my doc at the end of March. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/07 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Erin!  The walks aren't easy to get in sometimes b/c my work schedule is a little crazy at this point and there are days where it's dark when I get home so I don't walk then, but I was able to today, and after March 11th I won't work past 4 so hopefully I'll have lost some weight by the time I have to check in with my doc at the end of March. :)

I hear ya. It's so hard to stay motivated sometimes.  I took a walk the other day with Vaughn, and it makes me mad how out of shape I am now. About 7 years ago, I had lost like 50 pounds and I felt great! I want to do that again. Like I said...I don't want/need to be skinny...but I would love to get back into my "skinny" clothes! :)  Have you ever watched the show, "The Biggest Loser?".....they have an exercise DVD that I bought, it's pretty intense, but you get a really good workout with it...I think I am gonna get back into doing that again.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/07 at 7:15 pm

I hear ya. It's so hard to stay motivated sometimes.  I took a walk the other day with Vaughn, and it makes me mad how out of shape I am now. About 7 years ago, I had lost like 50 pounds and I felt great! I want to do that again. Like I said...I don't want/need to be skinny...but I would love to get back into my "skinny" clothes! :)  Have you ever watched the show, "The Biggest Loser?".....they have an exercise DVD that I bought, it's pretty intense, but you get a really good workout with it...I think I am gonna get back into doing that again.

I wish you luck, Erin! I am on a quest to trim my waistline, as well. I was doing a yoga routine which was very nice and peaceful, but when I got sick last month, I stopped it and haven't gone back. Now with the holidays over, I have overeaten again and I'm sure I've gained more weight. I sure feel it when I climb stairs and stuff  :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/07 at 7:17 pm

I wish you luck, Erin! I am on a quest to trim my waistline, as well. I was doing a yoga routine which was very nice and peaceful, but when I got sick last month, I stopped it and haven't gone back. Now with the holidays over, I have overeaten again and I'm sure I've gained more weight. I sure feel it when I climb stairs and stuff  :(

I've heard great things about Yoga, I've never tried it. Do you have to be terribly flexible to partake in it?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/07 at 7:20 pm

I've heard great things about Yoga, I've never tried it. Do you have to be terribly flexible to partake in it?

Actually, you don't have to be all that flexible. There's beginning routines which help you flex your body moderately, and then you can change the pace when it feels right.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/07 at 7:21 pm

Actually, you don't have to be all that flexible. There's beginning routines which help you flex your body moderately, and then you can change the pace when it feels right.

hmmm...maybe I will have to give it a look see. ;) :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/09/07 at 7:21 pm

I've lost 15 pounds in total, which is great.  The last time I was able to lose that kind of weight was when I had the stomach flu 3 1/2 years ago.  ;D

I do a lot of running up and down stairs, by nature of my room being on the 2nd floor, and all the food/drinks being on the 1st floor.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/07 at 7:23 pm

I've lost 15 pounds in total, which is great.  The last time I was able to lose that kind of weight was when I had the stomach flu 3 1/2 years ago.  ;D

I do a lot of running up and down stairs, by nature of my room being on the 2nd floor, and all the food/drinks being on the 1st floor.

congrats Beth! :) Keep up the good work.  For me, I have to basically exercise everyday (a routine....either walk/jogging....or doing an intense workout tape)....if I don't....I simply don't lose weight. My problem has never really been overeating...I have a VERY slow metabolism...and if I am not moving a lot, it just doesn't come off.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/09/07 at 7:33 pm

congrats Beth! :) Keep up the good work.  For me, I have to basically exercise everyday (a routine....either walk/jogging....or doing an intense workout tape)....if I don't....I simply don't lose weight. My problem has never really been overeating...I have a VERY slow metabolism...and if I am not moving a lot, it just doesn't come off.

That's my problem too.  I really don't overeat, it's just what I do eat isn't very healthy.  That, and I don't eat 6 small meals a day like you're supposed to.  I was listening to a radio program with a nutritionist and they said that after 2-3 hours after a meal, your body starts to make fat, basically.  So you're supposed to eat breakfast, a mid-morning snack; lunch, then a midday snack; dinner, then an evening snack.  It keeps your metabolism steady and constantly working.  I'm starting to get up earlier, so I'm going to start doing that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/07 at 7:34 pm

That's my problem too.  I really don't overeat, it's just what I do eat isn't very healthy.  That, and I don't eat 6 small meals a day like you're supposed to.  I was listening to a radio program with a nutritionist and they said that after 2-3 hours after a meal, your body starts to make fat, basically.  So you're supposed to eat breakfast, a mid-morning snack; lunch, then a midday snack; dinner, then an evening snack.  It keeps your metabolism steady and constantly working.  I'm starting to get up earlier, so I'm going to start doing that.

that's where I have a problem too. I can barely eat breakfast because I am usually feeling ill in the morning. I think I don't eat enough...more so than eating too much. It's crazy! :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/09/07 at 7:37 pm

hmmm...maybe I will have to give it a look see. ;) :)

Yes, give it a peak! It's a nice relaxer. I turn on my fave music and just do my thang.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 01/10/07 at 3:05 am

I noticed my post from september where I mentioned that I have to walk up a hill from the station to my house each day now. I started off way out of breath every time and now I don't even notice it! Sadly I haven't lost any weight though which I had hoped I might. I have a very active job but I don't do any kind of exercise in the evenings. I eat my dinner and watch t.v most nights. I need to eat less and do some kind of exercise..............

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/10/07 at 1:11 pm

I was just thinking this morning that I'd like to start doing yoga.  In the past, my favorite part of working out has always been stretching - I just think it feels so good.  I think I'm going to go look for a yoga DVD.

You go girl!  That's awesome!

Written By: nally on 01/20/07 at 11:33 pm

I still take my little dog for walks around the neighborhood every day. She enjoys it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/21/07 at 12:08 am

I've lost another 3 lbs!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/21/07 at 12:34 am

I've lost another 3 lbs!

well done! I'm starting my serious diet/exercise regimen on Monday...I can't wait to get in the groove of things.

Written By: rich1981 on 01/21/07 at 1:49 am

My weight was up 5 lbs in December but I've lost 3.5 of those lbs this month already.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/21/07 at 1:07 pm

My weight was up 5 lbs in December but I've lost 3.5 of those lbs this month already.

nice job, Rich! :)

Written By: jackas on 01/21/07 at 3:30 pm

I have an exercise DVD called Killer Butt or something like that.  Well I did the exercise for the first time in a long time the other day and I could barely move or sit down for about two days.  lol  I really don't want to lose any weight, but I seriously need to get toned. 

It's all about getting into a habit of exercising.  Once you have a routine it's easy.  If you don't have a routine it's like you can make up a hundred excuses why you don't feel like exercising.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/21/07 at 3:34 pm

I have an exercise DVD called Killer Butt or something like that.  Well I did the exercise for the first time in a long time the other day and I could barely move or sit down for about two days.  lol  I really don't want to lose any weight, but I seriously need to get toned. 

It's all about getting into a habit of exercising.  Once you have a routine it's easy.  If you don't have a routine it's like you can make up a hundred excuses why you don't feel like exercising.

yes, that is so true.  Sometimes I dread getting into that exercising habit....but like you said...it's always better once it becomes a routine. ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/22/07 at 12:53 am

I've lost another 3 lbs!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif  good for you. keep up the good work. It's always motivating when one's efforts brings results  .

karma for owning that dvd  ;D http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5m2yXbRFknAAH32jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=122ckkg01/EXP=1169534770/**http%3A//learntodvds.com/_borders/killerbutt.jpg   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/bootyshake.gif
I feel the same in that I don't want to lose weight, I want strength & toned muscles with some definition. Getting out of the habit is so much easier than getting back into it, but this week I start my in home treadmill and strength training program with various other exercises included and lots of strecthing. so would you mind sharing what techniques are on the dvd that are done to have a killer butt?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/22/07 at 1:59 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif  good for you. keep up the good work. It's always motivating when one's efforts brings results

Thanks, Mike.  I'm working hard at it, and I hope to see some real results come summer. 

Written By: jackas on 01/22/07 at 10:41 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif  good for you. keep up the good work. It's always motivating when one's efforts brings results  .

karma for owning that dvd  ;D http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5m2yXbRFknAAH32jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=122ckkg01/EXP=1169534770/**http%3A//learntodvds.com/_borders/killerbutt.jpg   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/bootyshake.gif
I feel the same in that I don't want to lose weight, I want strength & toned muscles with some definition. Getting out of the habit is so much easier than getting back into it, but this week I start my in home treadmill and strength training program with various other exercises included and lots of strecthing. so would you mind sharing what techniques are on the dvd that are done to have a killer butt?

Yep, that's the DVD.  It incorporates lots of squats and lunges.

Written By: KKay on 01/22/07 at 10:46 am

I will be at the gym tonight

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/22/07 at 2:21 pm

Yep, that's the DVD.  It incorporates lots of squats and lunges.
oh yeah, squats and lunges tighten and lift and are essential in the forming of a killer butt. keep us posted

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/22/07 at 7:07 pm

My mom and I took about a 3/4 mile walk Saturday after dinner (I was visiting) and I hope whenever I visit, we can continue this and do it on a regular basis. I decided to do my little walk on my breaks here at work again. I did one today while listening to my iPod Nano.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/22/07 at 7:11 pm

I was just thinking this morning that I'd like to start doing yoga.  In the past, my favorite part of working out has always been stretching - I just think it feels so good.  I think I'm going to go look for a yoga DVD.

Yeah, it looks like there are some entry level DVD's out there for a good price. There are also books you can buy for pretty cheap at Barnes and Noble or Borders on the Budget racks.

This last Saturday, at Target, in their dollar bin, they had a Yoga block for $1!! Those usually go for $14 or more. So, I picked it up and I am not sure what to do with it, but at least I got something going now...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/24/07 at 10:45 am

For you guys who have been dieting & exercising....I found this great site where you can sign up for free...and track your foods that you eat, the exercises that you do, make goals with your weight, write in a personal journal, etc...here's the link:

http://www.fitday.com/

I started doing my "Biggest Loser" exercise workout again....so, now this is a neat place to track all of my efforts! :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/24/07 at 10:46 am

For you guys who have been dieting & exercising....I found this great site where you can sign up for free...and track your foods that you eat, the exercises that you do, make goals with your weight, write in a personal journal, etc...here's the link:

I started doing my "Biggest Loser" exercise workout again....so, now this is a neat place to track all of my efforts! :)

How IS your diet going, anyway, Erin?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/24/07 at 10:50 am

How IS your diet going, anyway, Erin?

I'm doing pretty good, Doms. I wasn't being 100% serious in the past couple of weeks...but today is the day that I decided to really start exercising and "getting with the program"....I'm excited about finding that website, as I have been looking for somewhere that I can journal everyday (regarding my diet/exercise regimen), and keep track of what's going on everyday. They say that if you write everything down...it helps in the long run! :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/24/07 at 10:51 am

I'm doing pretty good, Doms. I wasn't being 100% serious in the past couple of weeks...but today is the day that I decided to really start exercising and "getting with the program"....I'm excited about finding that website, as I have been looking for somewhere that I can journal everyday (regarding my diet/exercise regimen), and keep track of what's going on everyday. They say that if you write everything down...it helps in the long run! :)

=o I hope it goes successfully, yo.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/24/07 at 10:52 am

=o I hope it goes successfully, yo.

thanks buddy! :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/24/07 at 1:18 pm

This seems like a very good idea, Erin. I will look into this. It's interesting as I am taking a Nutrition class (in order to get into the Nursing program) and I had to write down 3-days worth of food I was eating. When I'm done, I will have to enter it into a program and see what they tell me!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/25/07 at 8:18 pm

Well, softball season will be here soon & I need to get my ass in shape quick.  I workout at home. I'll do treadmill & then maybe some weightlifting with a curling bar, but I'm finding that resistance bands provide a good workout & are much more versatile. You can do so many different movements with them. I've got an ab machine that I'm gonna be using too, & lots of stretching exercises. I've got a yoga strap for that. So I'm thinking 4 nights a week to get the strength and flexibilty I need to go out and play one more year on what could possibly be the final leg of my farewell tour.

Written By: jackas on 01/25/07 at 9:46 pm

So I'm thinking 4 nights a week to get the strength and flexibilty I need to go out and play one more year on what could possibly be the final leg of my farewell tour.

:(
That sucks...

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/25/07 at 10:13 pm

Well, softball season will be here soon & I need to get my ass in shape quick.  I workout at home. I'll do treadmill & then maybe some weightlifting with a curling bar, but I'm finding that resistance bands provide a good workout & are much more versatile. You can do so many different movements with them. I've got an ab machine that I'm gonna be using too, & lots of stretching exercises. I've got a yoga strap for that. So I'm thinking 4 nights a week to get the strength and flexibilty I need to go out and play one more year on what could possibly be the final leg of my farewell tour.

Why do you have to stop? As long as you keep exercising...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/25/07 at 10:26 pm

I've been working my butt off doing my exercises everyday.....I alternate between aerobics and strength training/weights, etc....plus I've been moving like a mad woman at work too...I better start losin'!! ;) :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/25/07 at 11:10 pm

:(
That sucks...
what? 4 nights a week?  yeah I know, I should do 6 nights  ;D
I've been calling it my farewell tour for the last 6 years

Why do you have to stop? As long as you keep exercising...
you have a good point and that's why I'm still playing but I've been doing it a long time. I'm taking it one season at a time.

I've been working my butt off doing my exercises everyday.....I alternate between aerobics and strength training/weights, etc....plus I've been moving like a mad woman at work too...I better start losin'!! ;) :D
good for you. you'll be in awesome shape soon if you keep that up.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/26/07 at 1:17 pm

good for you. you'll be in awesome shape soon if you keep that up.

I hope so! I want to lose a good bit before summer. :)

Written By: KKay on 01/28/07 at 9:17 am

I hope so! I want to lose a good bit before summer. :)

we should all follow suit for the summer meeting in Philly!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/29/07 at 2:23 am

I finally began this evening, but just a short light workout with dumbbells, and resistance band. Hopefully will continue tomorrow

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 10:55 am

I finally began this evening, but just a short light workout with dumbbells, and resistance band. Hopefully will continue tomorrow

good job! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/30/07 at 3:26 am

good job! :)
thank you very much but I did nothing tonight. Maybe tomorrow night I'll do some.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/07 at 12:48 pm

I've been walking just about every day and I've been saving money on my Metrocard.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 1:44 pm

I've been walking just about every day and I've been saving money on my Metrocard.  :)

that's good exercise!  How far do you usually walk Howard?

Written By: Step-chan on 01/30/07 at 7:10 pm

I do alot of walking myself and my job keeps me pretty active. I'm also trying to get my home workouts back in swing(I've been doing them, but not as much as I should).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 9:40 pm

I do alot of walking myself and my job keeps me pretty active. I'm also trying to get my home workouts back in swing(I've been doing them, but not as much as I should).

keep up the good job! :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 9:46 pm

Well, I didn't lose any weight last week, but I didn't gain any either.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 9:47 pm

Well, I didn't lose any weight last week, but I didn't gain any either.  :)

hey, that's still good. I worked my azz off this week (exercising all but 1 day)...and all I lost was a measly pound....it frustrates me how slow my metabolism is. :-\\

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/30/07 at 9:47 pm

hey, that's still good. I worked my azz off this week (exercising all but 1 day)...and all I lost was a measly pound....it frustrates me how slow my metabolism is. :-\\

Just think. If you do that for a year, you'll lose 52 by the end of it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 9:48 pm

Just think. If you do that for a year, you'll lose 52 by the end of it.

ya....but I would like to lose more than 1 lb a week....oh well, maybe it was just a bad week. I'm not giving up!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 9:48 pm

I would suggest having your thyroid tested, but if that's not an option for you right now, you can always try vitamins that have a metabolism-booster in them.  I think One-A-Day has a good one.

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/30/07 at 9:49 pm

ya....but I would like to lose more than 1 lb a week....oh well, maybe it was just a bad week. I'm not giving up!

Well... you've had better weeks, so one can only assume that's what it is!

Written By: jackas on 01/30/07 at 9:50 pm

DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!  I was trying to lose weight once...I was eating right and everything, doing 45 mins of running on the treadmill 4 days a week and it took about three weeks for the pounds to start really coming off.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 9:55 pm

I would suggest having your thyroid tested, but if that's not an option for you right now, you can always try vitamins that have a metabolism-booster in them.  I think One-A-Day has a good one.

yes, I've ALWAYS thought that I've had something wrong with my thyroid....I have literally every symptom known to man....I've been tested many years ago...but they didn't do any extensive testing on me...just a basic test. I've heard of people who have been told that their thyroid is normal and in reality it is not...and I know that I am one of those people.

DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!  I was trying to lose weight once...I was eating right and everything, doing 45 mins of running on the treadmill 4 days a week and it took about three weeks for the pounds to start really coming off.

thanks Chrissy! I know, sometimes it takes longer for the results to happen....I lost weight before (years ago)....and I literally had to work my a$$ off....to lose about 45 lbs. Little by little, it will happen...I just have to keep thinking positive! :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 9:57 pm

Erin, you're going to be stealing men from your sister.....even though you don't need them.  That's how hot you're going be.  All the boys that want Beth are going to be like, "Who is THAT?!" 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 9:58 pm

Erin, you're going to be stealing men from your sister.....even though you don't need them.  That's how hot you're going be.  All the boys that want Beth are going to be like, "Who is THAT?!" 

Erin = future MILF!! :D ;D haahah..I couldn't resist! Actually, I would be totally stoked to just get back into my "skinny clothes"....I have a whole closet full of them just sitting there!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/30/07 at 9:59 pm

Erin = future MILF!! :D ;D haahah..I couldn't resist! Actually, I would be totally stoked to just get back into my "skinny clothes"....I have a whole closet full of them just sitting there!

You already are a MILF.  Maybe you and Chris need to break out the Scrabble board.  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 10:01 pm

You already are a MILF.  Maybe you and Chris need to break out the Scrabble board.  ;)

hehehe.....you are too kind darlin' :)  Our scrabble games are pretty far and few between with our crazy schedules! :D ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/31/07 at 4:20 pm

that's good exercise!  How far do you usually walk Howard?

I time myself,I'm not sure how far but on Mondays and Wednesdays I walk for about 35 minutes to my program and my therapy I walk for about 41 minutes.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/31/07 at 10:30 pm

I time myself,I'm not sure how far but on Mondays and Wednesdays I walk for about 35 minutes to my program and my therapy I walk for about 41 minutes.

well that's good, Howard.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/07/07 at 8:53 am

I gotta get back in the groove of things. I've been sick all week (with that stupid sinus infection).....but now I am starting to feel better....back to exercising for me! :)

Written By: Step-chan on 02/08/07 at 12:43 pm

keep up the good job! :)

Thank you! I haven't done the workout at all this week, weather become very bad and my apartment doesn't heat very well.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/08/07 at 1:01 pm

yes, I've ALWAYS thought that I've had something wrong with my thyroid....I have literally every symptom known to man....I've been tested many years ago...but they didn't do any extensive testing on me...just a basic test. I've heard of people who have been told that their thyroid is normal and in reality it is not...and I know that I am one of those people.

As you probably remember, I am without a working thyroid and I've taken supplements all my life. Just in the last few years, my supplement has not needed adjustment. I've been dissappointed because in the last year and a half, I've gained 10-12 lbs and I can't shake it off for the life of me. There are probably other factors involving this weight gain(such as birth control, eating dessert late at night, not excercising as much, etc.)

All I know is that either my metabolism is naturally slowing down or maybe there are some chemical adjustments that need to be made, either way - I would like to be 10-12 lbs lighter and in shape so I can breathe again, lol.

When I last saw my thyroid doctor, he said I'd gained some weight and he said, "You look good, you were too skinny before." I was like "Damn, I liked my skinniness, lol"

Ahhh, well... can't argue with the doctor to give me a higher dosage of thyroid replacement, lol  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/07 at 9:01 pm

Thought this could use yet another bump.

I've been meaning to get back in shape for awhile, and just started doing it myself again today. For starters, I'm just doing a mile or so jog around my townhouse complex (it's like .3 or 4/10 mile for one trip around, so I do it three times).

I weigh 183ish now and, ideally, I'd like to be around 165-170.

Ever since 1998 I've had a tendency to be "on and off" about working out. Like, I'll do it with dedication for a few months or even longer (I went to a gym in high school for a year and a half, and was in really good shape again in 2001/'02), but eventually don't end up having the discipline to stay with it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 10:22 pm

I've been majorly slacking for the past month....I am really pissed at myself....I wanna do this SO bad...but I don't feel good a lot...I wish I could just get motivated and stick with it. :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/07 at 11:25 pm

I've been majorly slacking for the past month....I am really pissed at myself....I wanna do this SO bad...but I don't feel good a lot...I wish I could just get motivated and stick with it. :-\\

Yeah, I know how you feel. If it's any help, I'm like this too. I tend to kinda be habitual and it takes awhile to motivate myself to get into a new "routine". Oftentimes I slack after a couple weeks, either out of sheer laziness, being busy, or being too tired, etc.

I find it easier to do it in the Summer when it's not freezing a** cold in the morning, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 11:28 pm

Yeah, I know how you feel. If it's any help, I'm like this too. I tend to kinda be habitual and it takes awhile to motivate myself to get into a new "routine". Oftentimes I slack after a couple weeks, either out of sheer laziness, being busy, or being too tired, etc.

I find it easier to do it in the Summer when it's not freezing a** cold in the morning, lol.

Yes, it's a shame too though...I mean, the first week or two I am all about it, very motivated, excited....then for some reason it fades off.  I have been trying to do these exercise DVDS that I have....but they get so boring. Yes...it does become a lot easier once the weather warms up...there's nothing fun about trudging around on ice and snow, while trying to walk/jog. :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/07 at 11:33 pm

Yes, it's a shame too though...I mean, the first week or two I am all about it, very motivated, excited....then for some reason it fades off.  I have been trying to do these exercise DVDS that I have....but they get so boring. Yes...it does become a lot easier once the weather warms up...there's nothing fun about trudging around on ice and snow, while trying to walk/jog. :-\\

Yeah, is it under freezing where you are? In the Bay Area it just rains alot, lol. Or it's generally cold, and that's bad enough.

Yeah, I used to do the exercize videos too, but long story short, I can't anymore as easily. You see, we've lived in this same townhouse complex since April '96. But we were in a different unit - a ground-floor one - from 1996-'02, and I could do it there since the bouncing around the room wouldn't reverberate above anyone's ceiling. ;) Since then, we've been in a second floor unit, I kinda can't do that anymore, unfortunately, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, is it under freezing where you are? In the Bay Area it just rains alot, lol. Or it's generally cold, and that's bad enough.

Yeah, I used to do the exercize videos too, but long story short, I can't anymore as easily. You see, we've lived in this same townhouse complex since April '96. But we were in a different unit - a ground-floor one - from 1996-'02, and I could do it there since the bouncing around the room wouldn't reverberate above anyone's ceiling. ;) Since then, we've been in a second floor unit, I kinda can't do that anymore, unfortunately, lol.

Yes, it can get pretty cold here. The past month or so has been cold, and we've had a lot of ice and snow.  I never could understand how people could feel comfortable running on ice/snow....I would be afraid of falling on my butt. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/07 at 11:43 pm

Yes, it can get pretty cold here. The past month or so has been cold, and we've had a lot of ice and snow.  I never could understand how people could feel comfortable running on ice/snow....I would be afraid of falling on my butt. ;D

You know, the irony is, when I hear about "ice" and "snow" it doesn't seem so bad to me. It almost sounds fun, but I guess it's 'cause it's coming from a secondhand viewpoint. From people who actually live in it, I'm sure it blows having to shovel snow off your driveway and stuff in the morning, lol.

I guess people get used to it, but yeah, I'm generally a wimp in any weather under like 55 or over 80, lol. Maybe I shouldn't complain about it being "cold" here. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/07 at 11:48 pm

You know, the irony is, when I hear about "ice" and "snow" it doesn't seem so bad to me. It almost sounds fun, but I guess it's 'cause it's coming from a secondhand viewpoint. From people who actually live in it, I'm sure it blows having to shovel snow off your driveway and stuff in the morning, lol.

I guess people get used to it, but yeah, I'm generally a wimp in any weather under like 55 or over 80, lol. Maybe I shouldn't complain about it being "cold" here. ;D

I mean, it's nice to look at (when you are sitting in your nice warm house)....but whenever it's time to actually interact with it...yes, it can be a real pain. A few weeks ago I was working until 10:00 pm....and we had this huge ice storm....I went out to my car and there was literally an inch thick of ice covering EVERYTHING! It took forever to chip away at it...and the trip home was real crappy.  My dad is a runner (he used to run marathons and other races)...and he would (and sometimes still does) run in EVERY type of weather....I never knew how he did it without falling all over the place! ;D

Written By: jackas on 02/28/07 at 8:27 am

It was interesting when we were in Massachusetts and you would see people out running in tons of clothes.  That would suck to have to put on all that crap just to take a jog.

Check for new replies or respond here...