inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bad Listeners...or what?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/01/06 at 11:57 pm

Do you ever get the feeling that nobody ever listens to you when you talk? That is how I feel the majority of the time. I don't know if it is because people are just SO very preoccupied lately, or that I tend to talk longer than they want to listen.  I really don't think I bore people or overextend my conversation, and it's usually a response to a question that they asked me....during my answer to them I see them looking around, shifting their eyes about, and overall, not really paying attention.

I always try my best to be attentive toward people who are conversing with me, whether it be a boring conversation or an interesting one...to me, the worst thing someone can do is totally appear uninterested in something you are trying to tell them.

Subject: Re: Bad Listeners...or what?

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/06 at 12:05 am

Do you ever get the feeling that nobody ever listens to you when you talk? That is how I feel the majority of the time. I don't know if it is because people are just SO very preoccupied lately, or that I tend to talk longer than they want to listen.  I really don't think I bore people or overextend my conversation, and it's usually a response to a question that they asked me....during my answer to them I see them looking around, shifting their eyes about, and overall, not really paying attention.

I always try my best to be attentive toward people who are conversing with me, whether it be a boring conversation or an interesting one...to me, the worst thing someone can do is totally appear uninterested in something you are trying to tell them.

I hate this so much.

I am different in my conversations with different people. Many would say I listen a lot and others would say I talk a lot.. no matter, I try and be attentive and input a lot in to the conversation.

I agree, I hate when people are too busy thinking of what they're going to say to just fukken listen.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/02/06 at 12:08 am

I... I... um, sorry, what was the question again?

No, but, in all seriousness, I tend to agree, this is a problem. I try to listen well, but when I speak, I tend to supply too much detail. I know this is true, but that's just me in conversation and I dislike people who are intolerant of that, especially if they cut me off before I get to the crux of what I'm trying to say. Then I know I come off badly because I had insufficient time to make a point, and that's just not cool. Also, I do my best to listen, so I guess I'd kinda like the same in return. It's not that I don't occasionally have times when I'm preoccupied - everyone does. It's to be expected. It's just annoying when certain people seem to lose focus more often than not.

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/06 at 12:15 am

No, but, in all seriousness, I tend to agree, this is a problem. I try to listen well, but when I speak, I tend to supply too much detail.

I do this.. I'll go on a long time without making my point. I get side-tracked either.
I guess this could be why sometimes people don't seem to be listening.. I'll do this kinda thing.

So anyway, in 1980 something or other, Iron Maiden released X, however, what was interesting about this was that the disc was etched, kinda like when Megadeth released Anarchy in the UK, hey you know Lemmy Kilmister taught sid bass, I had a great bass, it was a blah blah blah, they make those in Sacramento, I knew a guy that went to Sacramento..

;D

Sometimes extracting useful information from me can be a chore.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/11/06 at 3:06 pm

I'm a much better listener than I am a talker. I have a good listening ear   :) :)

anyone wants to sound off you know where I am..er just don't all rush at once!!!   ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/11/06 at 3:08 pm

I'm somewhat of a bad listener.I just don't get all the absorbed information. :(

Written By: jackas on 04/11/06 at 3:36 pm

I do this.. I'll go on a long time without making my point. I get side-tracked either.
I guess this could be why sometimes people don't seem to be listening.. I'll do this kinda thing.

So anyway, in 1980 something or other, Iron Maiden released X, however, what was interesting about this was that the disc was etched, kinda like when Megadeth released Anarchy in the UK, hey you know Lemmy Kilmister taught sid bass, I had a great bass, it was a blah blah blah, they make those in Sacramento, I knew a guy that went to Sacramento..

;D

Sometimes extracting useful information from me can be a chore.
  LOL :D ;D

I do the same damn thing. ;D  I start on one topic and by the time I'm done, I've never said what I was originally intending to.  I try to pay attention to what I'm saying so that I don't do that, but I'm really bad at it when I'm talking to someone I know well and I'm comfortable talking to. :-\\

Written By: gemini on 04/11/06 at 3:38 pm

There's a lady I work with that does that. She will talk your ear off, and I always listen, shake my head in agreement etc., then when I start to say something, or tell a story, she is so uninterested, it just ticks me off. I try to avoid her whenever I can now. We tease my oldest daughter because when she tries to tell a story, it takes forever, totally sidetracks from the original thought. I always say we could take a nap, and still not miss it.

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/06 at 3:51 pm

What was that?  I wasn't listening  :-[  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/06 at 3:57 pm

Did you say something?  ;D ;D Just kidding.

I know what you mean. I am sort of use to people with "selective hearing"-they hear what they want to hear.

Cat

Written By: jackas on 04/11/06 at 4:35 pm

There's a lady I work with that does that. She will talk your ear off, and I always listen, shake my head in agreement etc., then when I start to say something, or tell a story, she is so uninterested, it just ticks me off. I try to avoid her whenever I can now. We tease my oldest daughter because when she tries to tell a story, it takes forever, totally sidetracks from the original thought. I always say we could take a nap, and still not miss it.

What an a-hole!  When I was in the military I took a class with a guy like that.  He would sit there and tell all these crazy stories about when he was in Iraq, but as soon as I would start to talk he would turn his head and start listening to someone else.  The second time he did that to me was the end of it, I never listened to another one of his stories or talked to him after that.

Written By: gemini on 04/11/06 at 4:44 pm

What an a-hole!  When I was in the military I took a class with a guy like that.  He would sit there and tell all these crazy stories about when he was in Iraq, but as soon as I would start to talk he would turn his head and start listening to someone else.  The second time he did that to me was the end of it, I never listened to another one of his stories or talked to him after that.

I think people like that just like to hear themselves talk  :P

Written By: jackas on 04/11/06 at 4:48 pm

You are absolutely right!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/06 at 4:55 pm

There are some people who I have learned not to say "How ya doing?" as I am passing by because they will tell me-for about 20 minutes.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 04/11/06 at 4:57 pm

I get the feeling they're listening, they just don't care. Most people I talk to make it pretty clear they don't give a damn.

Written By: gemini on 04/11/06 at 5:04 pm

There are some people who I have learned not to say "How ya doing?" as I am passing by because they will tell me-for about 20 minutes.  ::)

Cat

I know people like that too. You just have to remember who not to say it to!  :D

Written By: gemini on 04/11/06 at 5:10 pm

So, how ya doing? ;D

Hey!  :(  Believe me, unfortunately, I don't have that much to talk about!  ;D

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 5:48 pm

Cat

Guilty  :-[ Actually, not guilty of that necessarily, but my tendency is, when that happens, I will stop (or at least slow) say something and then return the question. I can't help it. I feel rude when I don't. I've learned to appreciate the ones who just don't respond when they don't have time, 'cause the ones who force themselves, well, that becomes a nice awkward conversation for the day.

Did any of that even make sense? Probably not. Ah well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 5:55 pm

They're called blowhards.

Written By: KKay on 04/11/06 at 7:10 pm

I"m a really bad listener.  I look around, i make "yeah i'm listening' sounds when i'm not.
then i haev no comment cuz i wasnt listening.
i have no informaiton on anyone I know cuz i don't listen to them.
honestly. and i should change but i probably wont.

what?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 7:13 pm

I"m a really bad listener.  I look around, i make "yeah i'm listening' sounds when i'm not.
then i haev no comment cuz i wasnt listening.
honestly. and i should change but i probably wont.

what?

I admit, I can be a blowhard sometimes.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/11/06 at 7:25 pm

I think people don't listen because they feel they don't have the time
to listen.it's a fast paced world, fast food, fast cars, microwaves, everything
is done at a quicker pace.People don't want to slow down long enough to listen.

Written By: rich1981 on 04/11/06 at 11:05 pm

YES!!! What irritates me the most though is when people yawn while I speak, even though I know that my voice can sound monotonic at times.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/11/06 at 11:33 pm

I hate when people interpret yawns as signs of boredom...

Come on, can't you be tired?!

Written By: CeeKay on 04/12/06 at 12:45 am

On the other hand, I know everything about everyone because (a) I'm a good listener and (b) I know how to keep a secret.  If you can manage those two things, everybody will tell you stuff. 

Written By: KKay on 04/12/06 at 3:10 pm

On the other hand, I know everything about everyone because (a) I'm a good listener and (b) I know how to keep a secret.  If you can manage those two things, everybody will tell you stuff. 

I'm hardly managing to read this right now...I"m better off not knowing.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/06 at 4:08 pm

Or some people just ramble on and on and don't even listen to you sometimes.  ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 04/13/06 at 12:32 pm

Yes, which is part of the reason people think I'm talking to myself!

I think most people I know do their best to ingore me. :-\\

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/13/06 at 1:07 pm

I hate when people interpret yawns as signs of boredom...

Come on, can't you be tired?!

Just try and don't make your yawns too audible.

I always find people don't listen to me, don't seem interested. Esp when you're in a group, and you try and start a conversation and they immediately start talking to some else about the thing you just started.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 04/14/06 at 3:19 pm

People are in another world sometimes. ::)  >:(

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/14/06 at 3:20 pm

Esp when you're in a group, and you try and start a conversation and they immediately start talking to some else about the thing you just started.  >:(

I am guilty of occasional instances of that, but it's been intentional...

Check for new replies or respond here...