inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you ever get sick and tired of being PC?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/06 at 12:32 am

Just an honest question...do you ever get sick and tired of being politically correct, and constantly have to tip-toe around certain people for fear that you might "offend" them by something that you say?  IMO, it gets very tiresome sometimes...maybe it's just the mood I am in tonight...but I get sick of having to do that a lot of times.

Subject: Re: Do you ever get sick and tired of being PC?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/06 at 12:37 am

Depends on your definition of "politically correct". 

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 12:40 am

I'm cool with it for the most part even if I don't agree with it, but I know what you mean (i.e. people wanting you to say "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"). What I don't like though, is when you're always hearing about possible ways people could be offended -- either in real life or on TV, or the news, etc. -- and it makes you walk on eggs around everyone.

It also makes it harder for me, 'cause I wanna be a nice guy all the time (well, usually, LOL) so yeah, it does kinda bring your confidence down a teeny bit sometimes, if you know the possibility is there that someone could be offended by something you say.

I started noticing this around 1997ish. Not that it wasn't around before, but it's more widespread now.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 12:42 am

Yes.  I really wish people weren't so sensitive, but I try to be PC anyway, just because everyone deserves respect :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/06 at 12:43 am

I'm cool with it for the most part even if I don't agree with it, but I know what you mean (i.e. people wanting you to say "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"). What I don't like though, is when you're always hearing about possible ways people could be offended -- either in real life or on TV, or the news, etc. -- and it makes you walk on eggs around everyone.

It also makes it harder for me, 'cause I wanna be a nice guy all the time (well, usually, LOL) so yeah, it does kinda bring your confidence down a teeny bit sometimes, if you know the possibility is there that someone could be offended by something you say.

I started noticing this around 1997ish. Not that it wasn't around before, but it's more widespread now.

yes, that's basically what I mean.  It just seems like so many people have so many chips on their shoulders and get offended so easily...it sometimes get exhausting trying to make sure that you say everything "right" and don't offend someone.  When I say that I am sick of being PC...that DOESN'T mean that I condone being outright rude to people regarding their race, religion, etc...but people tend to be so anal anymore, and don't take anything lightly.

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/06 at 12:43 am

There is a difference between respect and being politically correct.

I'm not gonna call a Black fella 'boy' but i'm not gonna call him 'African American' either. That shiit pisses me off.

I'll use the words I wanna use.
If you're offended, fuuck off  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 12:45 am

yes, that's basically what I mean.  It just seems like so many people have so many chips on their shoulders and get offended so easily...it sometimes get exhausting trying to make sure that you say everything "right" and don't offend someone.  When I say that I am sick of being PC...that DOESN'T mean that I condone being outright rude to people regarding their race, religion, etc...but people tend to be so anal anymore, and don't take anything lightly.

I know. Whatever happened to laughing?  That's why I like the British, they don't take jokes as insults.

I do understand why people take offense though; it's almost a reflexive thing to be offended at something.  People just need to think through whether it's really bigotry or just a good-natured joke.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/06 at 12:46 am

I can see how constantly having to tip-toe around everyone's personal preferences can be annoying.  I know people who throw a hissy fit if you don't call their cat a "feline companion" as opposed to a pet.  I also know people who will tell the filthiest, raunchiest, dirtiest joke in front of anyone and everyone with no regard, but if you call a gay person a "fairy", they have a stroke. 

It's about being consistant with it, really.  Me, I don't say behind someone's back or to someone else what I wouldn't say to their face.  I also "know my audience". 

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/06 at 12:48 am

It's about being consistant with it, really.  Me, I don't say behind someone's back or to someone else what I wouldn't say to their face.  I also "know my audience". 

I like that.

Same here.

If I have an issue with somebody, I don't come up with every awful thing I can.. I tell it straight and call em a fuuken cunnt.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 12:49 am

I can see how constantly having to tip-toe around everyone's personal preferences can be annoying.  I know people who throw a hissy fit if you don't call their cat a "feline companion" as opposed to a pet.  I also know people who will tell the filthiest, raunchiest, dirtiest joke in front of anyone and everyone with no regard, but if you call a gay person a "fairy", they have a stroke. 

You know what? It IS the consistency.  For instance, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the violence on TV if they could also say things that might offend certain groups.  

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/06 at 12:49 am

I like that.

Same here.

If I have an issue with somebody, I don't come up with every awful thing I can.. I tell it straight and call em a fuuken cunnt.

;D ;D ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 12:54 am

Yea I get tired of it, I don't use overly politically correct terms. There's begin respectful and then there's being poltically correct.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 12:55 am

Oh, definitely. I'm always respectful of people and would never have a problem with that.

I guess what's unnerving at times, is when you're talking and suddenly have to stop from saying what you were about to, because you suddenly have to think, Oh, how are they gonna take that? That's especially prevalent with me 'cause I talk somewhat fast. Not intentionally, but I guess I have alot to say. ;D

And, you know what? Because I try to be a cool/nice guy with everyone, if I say something that does offend/anger them, it gets to me too. Some people would just go, Ahh, scr*w 'em if they can't take a joke, but it hurts me if I p*ssed someone off (even if it was for a stupid reason, or they were being irrational, etc).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/06 at 12:55 am

I think the thing that annoys most people with the PC movement is the expectance that you will think/say/feel/act the same way.  If I'm with my gay friends and they don't see the word "poofter" as being insulting, and I use that word......don't crawl up my ass just because you don't like it.  I wouldn't call my friend a poofter if they told me they didn't like it.  That's ridiculous.  Another thing that pisses me off is the insistance on language change.  It's not a fireman/woman, it's a firefighter.  It's not a chairman/woman, it's a chairperson.  It's not mankind, it's humankind.  Look, use the language and terminology that you are most comfortable with, but don't tell me to use it too.  I know how not to offend people with my language; I don't need you giving me Cliff's Notes.

/end rant

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 12:55 am

Yea I get tired of it, I don't use overly politically correct terms. There's begin respectful and then there's being poltically correct.

Exactly.  The N word is disrespectful, African American is a little too PC.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 12:56 am

Exactly.  The N word is disrespectful, African American is a little too PC.

Yea I hate the "african american" word, when they call whites "european american" then maybe I'll consider it.

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/06 at 12:58 am

Yea I hate the "african american" word, when they call whites "european american" then maybe I'll consider it.

Interestingly.. I just suggested that to Erin  ;D

I wanna be called a Mid-Western, Mississippi Basin - American.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 12:58 am

Yeah, it's all about standard.  The most annoying thing about PC is that often it simply takes things the other way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/06 at 12:59 am

Oh, definitely. I'm always respectful of people and would never have a problem with that.

I guess what's unnerving at times, is when you're talking and suddenly have to stop from saying what you were about to, because you suddenly have to think, Oh, how are they gonna take that? That's especially prevalent with me 'cause I talk somewhat fast. Not intentionally, but I guess I have alot to say. ;D

And, you know what? Because I try to be a cool/nice guy with everyone, if I say something that does offend/anger them, it gets to me too. Some people would just go, Ahh, scr*w 'em if they can't take a joke, but it hurts me if I p*ssed someone off (even if it was for a stupid reason, or they were being irrational, etc).

see....you are sensitive, as I also am. I wish I could be more like someone who just says it like it is...but I am the same way, I always feel bad if I have said something that offended someone, no matter how trivial it may have seemed.

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/06 at 12:59 am

I think the thing that annoys most people with the PC movement is the expectance that you will think/say/feel/act the same way.  If I'm with my gay friends and they don't see the word "poofter" as being insulting, and I use that word......don't crawl up my ass just because you don't like it.  I wouldn't call my friend a poofter if they told me they didn't like it.  That's ridiculous.  Another thing that pisses me off is the insistance on language change.  It's not a fireman/woman, it's a firefighter.  It's not a chairman/woman, it's a chairperson.  It's not mankind, it's humankind.  Look, use the language and terminology that you are most comfortable with, but don't tell me to use it too.  I know how not to offend people with my language; I don't need you giving me Cliff's Notes.
/end rant

Well said.

I'll choose my own words.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/06 at 1:00 am

If blacks are African-Americans, then I'm a Danish-German-English-Irish-Scottish-French-American.

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/06 at 1:02 am

If blacks are African-Americans, then I'm a Danish-German-English-Irish-Scottish-French-American.

And how is it just African - American.. that's discriminatory.. does nobody know there are 52 countries in Africa?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/02/06 at 1:05 am

And how is it just African - American.. that's discriminatory.. does nobody know there are 52 countries in Africa?

Whenever people ask that, I give them the riddle of my college math professor, Sherrie.

Sherrie was born and raised in New York.  Her parents though, are from Johannesberg, South Africa.  So she is by genetics African-American.  But she's white.  I just love the looks on people's faces when she says that. 

Written By: La Roche on 04/02/06 at 1:10 am

Whenever people ask that, I give them the riddle of my college math professor, Sherrie.

Sherrie was born and raised in New York.  Her parents though, are from Johannesberg, South Africa.  So she is by genetics African-American.  But she's white.  I just love the looks on people's faces when she says that. 

Remember when Nelson Mandela was called African - American  ;D

That had me in stitches.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 1:14 am

see....you are sensitive, as I also am. I wish I could be more like someone who just says it like it is...but I am the same way, I always feel bad if I have said something that offended someone, no matter how trivial it may have seemed.

Yeah, for sure. Now, there's a few times where I wouldn't mind seeing someone else telling them off/offending them ( ;D), but I never would want to. I guess my thoughts are, even if the person is a jerk, I'd like to get along with them the best I can. It doesn't feel good to be mad at people or feel like I hurt them.

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/06 at 1:25 am

How about PC in TV and Film?

On the original Star Trek series, Captain Kirk spoke that famous line "To boldly go where no man has gone before"

In Star Trek: The Next Generation, it was changed, as Captain Piccard would say "To boldly go where no one has gone before"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/06 at 1:26 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/02/06 at 1:34 am

Actually that is the correct term you'd call a white New Zealander (New Zealand European). I assume this is the case in both Australia, Canada and America (not sure of the UK). "White" is rarely used these days.

I don't mind P.C. But I'm not going to change my vocabulary just to please a few people. I still call it: fireman/woman, mankind (man is taken from the suffix of human), etc.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/02/06 at 1:38 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/06 at 1:43 am

The changing of the word 'man' in words like mankind, manage, manhandle etc as well as phrases like that is wrong in my opinion as "man" in this instance is short for "human"

exactly.  There is a human, but there's no such thing as a huwoman ;D

Written By: imadick on 04/02/06 at 11:18 am

No way, i love waiting online for my girlfriend

Written By: Apricot on 04/02/06 at 4:49 pm

I don't mind being politically correct, because I make no effort to. I just don't hate people enough to use derogatory terms.. and if I do, it's clearly in humor.

I don't believe in the "sexism" bullsh-t, like saying "personkind" instead of "mankind" or "man"... I really don't see how that's offensive. I also get annoyed when some women claim that being called "her" is degrading... personal pronouns are not degrading. Someone did that to me once, so I called her by her full name and demanded she call me by my full name. Needless to say, she didn't continue that crap.

Check for new replies or respond here...