inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fast food/junk food eating habits.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 10:03 am

I suspect I'm eating way too much junk-food/fast food. I eat out for lunch must days (having a busy uni schedule) and 9/10 eat at fast food joints like McDonalds, KFC, Red Rooster.etc...even though I try and select 'healthier' options. I remembering seeing 'Super-size me', and remember Morgan Spurlock interviewing this group of kids who said they ate McDonalds 'several times a day' and it got me thinking of kids I know who probably subsist on junk food (probably cos their parents do as well). What are your fast food eating habits? Anyone here who think they should be eating more fast food than they are atm??

Subject: Re: Fast food/junk food eating habits.

Written By: karen on 04/04/06 at 10:21 am

Having children its practically impossible to avoid the places altogether.  We try to limit the visits to once a week at the most.  One place they like is Subway which I think is relatively healthy. 

Here McDonalds give you the option of carrot sticks or fries with the Happy Meal but the cashier hardly ever asks which you'd prefer.  Also the one time the children opted for carrot sticks they put fries in the box anyway  ::)

Written By: karen on 04/04/06 at 10:46 am

I try not to eat too much fast food, but I probably do.  Like Karen said, with kids, it's rather difficult to avoid.  I was so happy to get home from vacation and eat something that did NOT come in a bag or paper wrapper ;D 

I also find that even if you go to a reasonable place to eat most of the children's menus only have chips and baked beans as the option.  I swear one of our kids will go down with scurvy one of these days.

Written By: karen on 04/04/06 at 11:04 am

Luckily, 2 of my kids aren't really big on fries anymore.  My middle guy rarely eats them, the youngest does once in awhile, but the oldest still loves them.  Most of the restaurants around here will also offer applesauce so that's what the 2 younger ones usually eat.

Here it seems to be expected that children eat junk over healthy options.  We were away with a crowd of friends a while ago and had a big seat down meal together.  We'd originally asked for smaller portions of what we were eating then someone mentioned they'd bought pizzas especially for the children  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/06 at 12:17 pm

I try not to eat too much fast food, but it gets dificutl when you live not even a 2 minute walk from an A&W ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 12:27 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/06 at 1:17 pm

At least you don't DRIVE there (like some people I know would).

I know a few people like that.  I can understand if it's quite a distance away, but if you live within walking distance to a fast food restaurant, it's only common sense to walk

Written By: Stompgal on 04/04/06 at 1:43 pm

I don't eat fast food too often but if I do, I'll try to eat something healthier like a toasted Deli Sandwich from McDonald's, especially the Chicken Salad one because it's low in fat. I tend to have small or medium fries at McDonald's (depending on what meal I have) and regular at KFC and Burger King. The drink I tend to have is Diet Coke, but I sometimes have Sprite Z or Pepsi Max too.

Written By: Marian on 04/04/06 at 2:46 pm

There are a lot of fast food places within walkinf distance from where I live--McDonald's,Mahalo Hawaii,Subway,Carl's Jr.,Jack in the Box,Taco Bell,Der Weinerschnitzel,Pizza Hut,Burrito Factory and Erik's DeliCafe.I like to go to Carl's Jr. when they have a free coupon for something.I go to all the others too.McDonald's is a little more expensive for what you get,I think.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/04/06 at 3:21 pm

Being a vegetarian, I don't have horrible fast food eating habits, but I do eat Subway/Quizno's veggie subs quite a bit and I have a weakness for Burger King fries. 

As for junk food, I eat mostly lightly salted/low-fat chips, my faves being Lays Lightly Salted and Baked Cool Ranch Doritos.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/06 at 4:23 pm

I eat junk food once in a while but now I'm starting to get into a habit of eating Subway at least 2-3 times a week.I'm the Jared Fogel of the household.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:09 pm

I eat junk food once in a while but now I'm starting to get into a habit of eating Subway at least 2-3 times a week.I'm the Jared Fogel of the household.  ;D

I bet he doesn't even eat at Subway.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/04/06 at 9:39 pm

I had McD's for dinner tonight cuz the oldest had baseball and I lost track of time and didn't have time to cook anything before we had to leave :-\\  AND, they were out of salads :o  How the heck do they run out of EVERY salad ???

When I think McDonalds, the word "salad" doesn't come to mind.  Perhaps they're more popular out your way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/04/06 at 10:17 pm

I like Subway the best...but we usually eat fastfood about once a week or so.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/04/06 at 10:38 pm

I like Subway the best...but we usually eat fastfood about once a week or so.

Same here...

I have it kind of randomly...

Written By: rich1981 on 04/05/06 at 12:51 am

Until 3 years ago our family used to eat at fast food restaurants at least once a week, but since I discovered my high cholesterol though a blood sample, we stopped going and two months later my cholesterol was average! These days I avoid them as much as I can but if and when I go I usually eat vegetarian and no fries.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/05/06 at 1:27 am

Until 3 years ago our family used to eat at fast food restaurants at least once a week, but since I discovered my high cholesterol though a blood sample, we stopped going and two months later my cholesterol was average! These days I avoid them as much as I can but if and when I go I usually eat vegetarian and no fries.

That's great, Rich. It's really hard to not eat those meaty hamburgers, but before you know it - you find you like the flavor oh so much better than the grisel and stuff. My eating habits were not very good a few years back, yet luckily, my metabolism was still a good peak for me. Now, four years later I am actually having a harder time keeping off the weight and enjoying bad food all at the same time. This has literally been the first time in years where I have been rather conscious of my intake and have wanted to keep my weight where it always has been. So, I eat salads, bread and soup for lunch. For dinner, I lean towards cooked vegetables, soups, or meatless hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. I try to keep a low sodium, low cholesterol diet.

Yet this week, all of that went out the window during mid-terms... lol

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/05/06 at 3:12 am

Personally I think I eat too much pre-packaged junk food from the supermarket. Although I have no fears of getting fat (I'm underweight according to my height...)  it's the health factor I should be careful of.

I rarely eat out either. If it is it's usually fish and chips, pizza or the like. I don't eat KFC or McDonalds, and probably never will.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/05/06 at 4:09 am

Personally I think I eat too much pre-packaged junk food from the supermarket. Although I have no fears of getting fat (I'm underweight according to my height...)  it's the health factor I should be careful of.

I rarely eat out either. If it is it's usually fish and chips, pizza or the like. I don't eat KFC or McDonalds, and probably never will.

So you're tell me you've never eaten KFC/McDonalds and will never do so in your lifetime?  :o :o

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/05/06 at 5:11 am

I got to almost 4pm yesterday and realised I had had nowt to eat since the day before - anyone else ever do that on occasion? forget to eat, anyways I scoffed a pecan/maple Danish in haste...almost taking my fingers with it  :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/05/06 at 5:27 am

So you're tell me you've never eaten KFC/McDonalds and will never do so in your lifetime?  :o :o
No.

I used to eat both quite a bit, but now I'm not too keen on both. I'd eat them if I had to (or if someone else bought it for me)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/05/06 at 10:54 am

Another maple danish today - ooh the nutrition I'm receiving!!

Written By: Howard on 04/05/06 at 4:47 pm

I bet he doesn't even eat at Subway.

Yeah,Well he's a spokesman

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/05/06 at 6:57 pm

I'm going to Subway tomorrow night for a nice veggie sandWICH  ;D

and have saved up 8 stamps which entitles us to a free sandwich which Chris will have.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/06 at 3:21 pm

I'm going to Subway tomorrow night for a nice veggie sandWICH  ;D

and have saved up 8 stamps which entitles us to a free sandwich which Chris will have.

Ever try the Caribbean Lime Chicken Sandwich?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/06/06 at 6:51 pm

Ever try the Carribean Lime Chicken Sandwich?

Crikey we don't get delicious fillings like that here in the UK - the most exotic one is Tikka Chicken!!
It's either that or tuna/ham/beef/cheese/veggie and that's our wack!  Oh yes they also do meatball sandwiches too  :P :P

Oh I wish I could get a Caribbean Lime Chicken sandwich..mmmmmm

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/07/06 at 7:30 am

Yeah,Well he's a spokesman

Do they serve subs filled with caviar and goose liver at the Annual Subway Christmas party?

Written By: Howard on 04/07/06 at 3:03 pm

Do they serve subs filled with caviar and goose liver at the Annual Subway Christmas party?

I don't think so.

Check for new replies or respond here...