inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pet Peeves

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 9:41 pm

Mine:

-Hipsters.
-Dirty public restrooms.
-Gay gym bunnies.
-People who never take their iPods off-ever.
-Bad spelling and grammar.
-Ignorance and disrespect of knowledge.
-Ignorance of American culture and history.
-Ignorance of geography.
-People who are racist/anti-progressive but claim to be anti-P.C. and just show how little they understand of history and society.
-Suburban teenagers who fancy themselves either hipsters or jetset preppies.
-Lacrosse girls and lacrosse preppies.
-Popped collar polo shirts.
-Urban Outfitters.
-Starbucks.
-Ugly fake colonial condos in ugly places.
-Pickles.
-Limp fries.
-Frasier and W&G on Life ahead of the Nanny and the Golden Girls.
-Self-hating Jews/Jews who don't get Judaism.
-Crunk rap and suburban teenagers who fancy themselves its proponents.
-Writing off everything to irony.
-The furniture at banks.
-Mini Coopers.
-Big box stores.
-Hummers.

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/08/06 at 9:46 pm

Wow, you are a very.. erm.. .annoyed person, huh?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/08/06 at 9:58 pm

Uh, wow. Just wow.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 10:28 pm

Mine:

-Hipsters.
-Dirty public restrooms.
-Gay gym bunnies.
-People who never take their iPods off-ever.
-Bad spelling and grammar.
-Ignorance and disrespect of knowledge.
-Ignorance of American culture and history.
-Ignorance of geography.
-People who are racist/anti-progressive but claim to be anti-P.C. and just show how little they understand of history and society.
-Suburban teenagers who fancy themselves either hipsters or jetset preppies.
-Lacrosse girls and lacrosse preppies.
-Popped collar polo shirts.
-Urban Outfitters.
-Starbucks.
-Ugly fake colonial condos in ugly places.
-Pickles.
-Limp fries.
-Frasier and W&G on Life ahead of the Nanny and the Golden Girls.
-Self-hating Jews/Jews who don't get Judaism.
-Crunk rap and suburban teenagers who fancy themselves its proponents.
-Writing off everything to irony.
-The furniture at banks.
-Mini Coopers.
-Big box stores.
-Hummers.

And Christmas and bunny rabbits annoy me too...just kidding! But alot of stuff annoys me.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 10:49 pm

People who are friends and dress the same annoy me.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/08/06 at 11:06 pm

People who complain about... "everything" annoy me.
People who make statements about how the world needs to change, etc (ie: political statements) but don't do anything about it annoy me. (I annoy myself)

Those are the big 2. I have others, but no need to list them here.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/08/06 at 11:16 pm

-People who are unadventerous when it comes to eating
-All of the new houses and neighborhoods built in the last 20 years, all the subdivisions they build now are full of cookie cutter houses that are dull,boring, and look alike.. I hate it
-People who don't use their turn signal
-People who get p!ssed at you for going the speed limit
-Guys who think class is feminine
-Adults who get offended over curse words
-How men on T.v. now all seem to be portrayed as bumbling, emasculated idiots and their wives as wise and all-knowing

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 11:20 pm

-All of the new houses and neighborhoods built in the last 20 years, all the subdivisions they build now are full of cookie cutter houses that are dull,boring, and look alike.. I hate it
-How men on T.v. now all seem to be portrayed as bumbling, emasculated idiots and their wives as wise and all-knowing

Agreed with all of those, especially the new houses and neighborhood. In fact, development and gentrification are dual pet peeves of mine. Real estate investment is another.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/08/06 at 11:22 pm

Agree with all of these.

All of the new houses and neighborhoods built in the last 20 years, all the subdivisions they build now are full of cookie cutter houses that are dull,boring, and look alike.. I hate itWhat I can't stand are those horrible, plain looking concrete/mono-clad houses with minimal windows that seem to be popping up in and around inner city areas here. Do people have any taste anymore?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/08/06 at 11:32 pm

What I can't stand are those horrible, plain looking concrete/mono-clad houses with minimal windows that seem to be popping up in and around inner city areas here. Do people have any taste anymore?

I think the new houses are a sign of the times.  Generation X(who are now in their 30s and buying their own homes) were the first generation to grow up with homogenous, consumer culture(in the 70s) so I think perhaps that has something to do with the trend.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 11:51 pm

I think the new houses are a sign of the times.  Generation X(who are now in their 30s and buying their own homes) were the first generation to grow up with homogenous, consumer culture(in the 70s) so I think perhaps that has something to do with the trend.

Almost nobody in Gen Y likes those houses, so I think they'll go away for more modernist stuff. Some boomers love them, they have no taste.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 11:54 pm

I hate it.  It's like it's becoming a Sim City world, with the same building set everywhere  >:(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/08/06 at 11:56 pm

Another thing is when the put these houses in older suburban areas with many houses built pre-1940. They look so ugly and way out of place even more so.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 11:57 pm

Another thing is when the put these houses in older suburban areas with many houses built pre-1940. They look so ugly and way out of place even more so.

When do you think the best looking houses were made? 

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/08/06 at 11:59 pm

Almost nobody in Gen Y likes those houses, so I think they'll go away for more modernist stuff. Some boomers love them, they have no taste.

Modernist is the right word. In the 50s and 60s they went for original designs that stood out and that was called "modern" and then in the 80s they started switching over to plainer, more minimalist looking layouts and designs, and thats called "postmodern".

I think the ones in the 60s and 70s looked pretty cool.. theres this neighborhood my uncle works in a lot here(hes a contractor) which has quite a few from this time period near the back, and they are really neat looking.  And the rest look like CRAAAAAP so its definitely more noticeable when these new houses are built in the same neighborhood with old ones

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 12:02 am

Modernist is the right word. In the 50s and 60s they went for original designs that stood out and that was called "modern" and then in the 80s they started switching over to plainer, more minimalist looking layouts and designs, and thats called "postmodern".

I think the ones in the 60s and 70s looked pretty cool.. theres this neighborhood my uncle works in a lot here(hes a contractor) which has quite a few from this time period near the back, and they are really neat looking.  And the rest look like CRAAAAAP so its definitely more noticeable when these new houses are built in the same neighborhood with old ones

My house was built in the early '60s - it's pretty nice-looking.  How old's your house?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/09/06 at 12:03 am

Pre-1960 mostly. Not to say all houses made after '60 suck, but I just have a thing for older houses. My last house was built 1923, and it was really nice (despite it being old and falling to bits...)

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/09/06 at 12:04 am

My house was built in the early '60s - it's pretty nice-looking.  How old's your house?

I live in a mobile home currently.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 12:05 am

I live in a mobile home currently.

So five years?  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/09/06 at 12:11 am

So five years?  ;D

No judging from the design I'd say its 10 or 15 years old.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/09/06 at 12:15 am

My house is 1928, actually. I'm not a big fan of most post-1960 houses. There're definitely some '80s-era modernist houses up on the cliffs, a rich section of town, that are awesome looking, even if most '80s houses were just as dull as now. My town has the 3rd oldest house age in the country, actually, and we're known for lack of McMansions and historic protectionism as a classic railroad suburb.

I'm a big fan of older apartment buildings and two-family houses.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 12:22 am

No judging from the design I'd say its 10 or 15 years old.

Oh, I see. Do you live on your own yet?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/09/06 at 12:22 am

This calls for another thread- to the Postmobile!

Oh, I see. Do you live on your own yet?

I live with my uncle.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 12:24 am

This calls for another thread- to the Postmobile!

I live with my uncle.

Ah, okay.  Well enough of me being nosy then  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/09/06 at 12:31 am

Slow drivers
People who ride your a$$ on the road
People who collect a lot of saliva in their mouth when they talk (and you can see it everytime they open their mouth) EW. :P
When people speak in a microphone and it sounds like they have a very dry mouth or something
People who own dogs and act like the dog is better then their own loved ones
People who get in my space and sit too close to me
When someone wants something and they say, "can I GET that?", instead of, "could I HAVE that?"
When you get carded for everything even though you are nearly 30 years old
When I put a new shirt on, and instantly drop food on it

Oh, I know there are ooodles more...but I can't think right now.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 7:42 am

My house was built in 1987...which is pretty old for my suburbs. Strangely thing is, our suburb is a pretty new suburbs in a sea of older suburbs (the suburb next to us was largely developed in the 50s). When was your neighbourhood developed?

But anyway, that's getting off topic.

I share many of the pet peevs already mentioned. I hate overt societal pressure to be masculine/feminine, social roles bred in my generations of conservatism.
I hate it how I'm always so poor.
I hate it how I'm not rich.
I hate it that girls don't swarm to me like flies to a honey pot.
I hate that I don't really have a social life.
I hate it that I can't click my figures and make everything go away.
I hate people who are self-centered  ;).
And most of all, I hate people who try to make funny jokes they know are not funny to anyone but themselves.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/09/06 at 7:52 am

And most of all, I hate people who try to make funny jokes they know are not funny to anyone but themselves.
I think most people are guilty of that at some stage in their life.  ::) I suppose it's people who do it ALL THE TIME who are annoying.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 7:56 am

I think most people are guilty of that at some stage in their life.  ::) I suppose it's people who do it ALL THE TIME who are annoying.

They tell the joke and then pause - expecting people to burst out laughing because they expect everyone to see the humour in their joke. When no-one laughs, they laugh at their own jokes...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/09/06 at 7:58 am

They tell the joke and then pause - expecting people to burst out laughing because they expect everyone to see the humour in their joke. When no-one laughs, they laugh at their own jokes...
OK, I know what you mean now. Yes that can be annoying.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...