inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's My Birthday!

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 10:30 pm

I'm scared by turning 16 on Monday. I feel old and frightened. Not that it isn't cool, also, though.

Subject: Re: I'm Turning 16 on Monday...

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/08/06 at 10:35 pm

Why scared?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 10:38 pm

I'm leaving childhood behind. College is scary. I need to start living. The end of my young life is closer. The future is closer.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/08/06 at 10:39 pm

It only gets worse from here, buddy.

I remember I actually felt a little weird when I turned 16 too, and my mom didn't really understand at all. "You're turning SIXTEEN"

And i told her yeah thats true but it means in just a couple of years I'll be 18 so I realize my childhood is basically gone now.. That was over two years ago, I'm now 18.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/08/06 at 10:41 pm

Just prepare yourself, Tony.  I don't think I did near enough of that myself.  You should try to find a job somewhere part time(I think i'd be better off now if i'd worked in high school).

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 10:42 pm

I remember I actually felt a little weird when I turned 16 too, and my mom didn't really understand at all. "You're turning SIXTEEN"

And i told her yeah thats true but it means in just a couple of years I'll be 18 so I realize my childhood is basically gone now.. That was over two years ago, I'm now 18.

I'm thinking of trying to get published, working at Bloomingdale's or a book store, or teaching classes of some kind. But I'm ridiculously scared of college and 11th grade. This summer I'm sticking around, probably. However, hopefully, I'll start having sex soon. I've started getting "the look" from guys in urban areas.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/08/06 at 10:43 pm

Nice encouragement there

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 10:43 pm

I want to be a suicide hotline counselor.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/08/06 at 10:48 pm

I want to be a suicide hotline counselor.

Hey, man... You should go for the gusto.. Be a psychiatrist or something!

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 10:50 pm

Hey, man... You should go for the gusto.. Be a psychiatrist or something!

And follow in my family footsteps? My grandfather who I look exactly like was president of the New Jersey Psychiatric Association.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 10:52 pm

I turned 16 in January.  I'm not really scared.  Yet. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/08/06 at 10:57 pm

And follow in my family footsteps? My grandfather who I look exactly like was president of the New Jersey Psychiatric Association.

He could give you tips?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/08/06 at 11:00 pm

He could give you tips?

He died of prostate cancer at 84 almost eight years ago. After surviving heart disease and innumerable other diseases.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/08/06 at 11:00 pm

My junior year in high school is probably the best one I've spent so far. Not that senior year and this college frosh year haven't been cool, but junior year... man. Good times. Senior year should have been better, but I screwed up part of it. Still, it's a good time, so wouldn't be scared were I you.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/08/06 at 11:01 pm

I'm leaving childhood behind. College is scary. I need to start living. The end of my young life is closer. The future is closer.
You think 16 is bad? 16 is nothing man! 21 is when the fun ends and adulthood becomes a reality.  :-X

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/08/06 at 11:07 pm

He died of prostate cancer at 84 almost eight years ago. After surviving heart disease and innumerable other diseases.

Erm.. I was afraid of that... No worries!

Uh... Get tips from.. Nevermind.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/08/06 at 11:10 pm

I turned 16 in January.  I'm not really scared.  Yet. 

Well now i'm okay because I've gotten it over with(childhood's end).. the next end I have to look forward to is the big one which is hopefully decades away. :)

This quote is appropriate though:

"Do you realize that everyone you know, someday, will die? And instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know you realize life goes fast, its hard to make the good things last" from the song "Do You Realize??" by The Flaming Lips

My junior year in high school is probably the best one I've spent so far. Not that senior year and this college frosh year haven't been cool, but junior year... man. Good times. Senior year should have been better, but I screwed up part of it. Still, it's a good time, so wouldn't be scared were I you.

For me my Senior year was the best, but i didnt have a real junior year. I graduated in three years, so my 1st year was my freshman, the first half of my second I was a sophmore, the second half I was a junior, and my whole third year i was a senior.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 11:49 pm

Well now i'm okay because I've gotten it over with(childhood's end).. the next end I have to look forward to is the big one which is hopefully decades away. :)

This quote is appropriate though:

"Do you realize that everyone you know, someday, will die? And instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know you realize life goes fast, its hard to make the good things last" from the song "Do You Realize??" by The Flaming Lips

For me my Senior year was the best, but i didnt have a real junior year. I graduated in three years, so my 1st year was my freshman, the first half of my second I was a sophmore, the second half I was a junior, and my whole third year i was a senior.

Dude, would you say adulthood is a second life?  I mean, when you're a kid time passes by more slowly, you feel immortal, etc., but when you're an adult you live a totally different way, people expect different things from you, etc.  It's like another life.  Then again, my quarter life crisis isn't over yet  ;)

Do you ever feel that you won't ever die?  You know, that death is somehow a myth?  I'm almost not sure that's not true, but sometimes I do feel that way. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/09/06 at 12:08 am

Dude, would you say adulthood is a second life?  I mean, when you're a kid time passes by more slowly, you feel immortal, etc., but when you're an adult you live a totally different way, people expect different things from you, etc.  It's like another life.  Then again, my quarter life crisis isn't over yet  ;)

Do you ever feel that you won't ever die?  You know, that death is somehow a myth?  I'm almost not sure that's not true, but sometimes I do feel that way. 

I think you're right on the money, Donnie.  Adulthood is almost like a totally seperate life from your childhood.  Me and my uncle have talked about this before and he said to me "when they become adults its like its a different person- the person from before is gone" and I think thats mostly true.  How you were/felt at 10 has VERY little to do with how you are as an adult I think..

I never feel like death is a myth. To the contrary, I feel it's presence looming, despite the fact its a "long way off".  But when I get close I'm sure it won't feel like it was very long away.  Life starts out lookling like a long highway and ends up feeling like it was a driveway..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 12:19 am

I think you're right on the money, Donnie.  Adulthood is almost like a totally seperate life from your childhood.  Me and my uncle have talked about this before and he said to me "when they become adults its like its a different person- the person from before is gone" and I think thats mostly true.  How you were/felt at 10 has VERY little to do with how you are as an adult I think..

I never feel like death is a myth. To the contrary, I feel it's presence looming, despite the fact its a "long way off".  But when I get close I'm sure it won't feel like it was very long away.  Life starts out lookling like a long highway and ends up feeling like it was a driveway..

Do you feel like someone's internal mid-life is around 16 or 18?  I think adulthood probably seems about the same length as childhood from inside.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/09/06 at 12:30 am

Yep, life's pretty much over for ya, man.

Happy Birthday!  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/09/06 at 12:36 am

dude, I just turned 29, found a few gray hairs, and have daily aches and pains.....see what you have to look forward to!! ;) ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 12:56 am

dude, I just turned 29, found a few gray hairs, and have daily aches and pains.....see what you have to look forward to!! ;) ;D

grey hairs? don't worry, you'll probably live to be 100 :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/09/06 at 1:06 am

grey hairs? don't worry, you'll probably live to be 100 :)

Ugh. I would not want to live that long..

Written By: Gis on 04/09/06 at 3:20 am

With a fear of sounding Pollyanna-ish. I think you should stop looking at the negative stuff and talking about things being over and look upon it as the begining of a whole great big adventure.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 7:15 am

Congrats velvetoneo, you have officially passed the 'moody pubescent' stage of your adolescence and entered the 'nueurotic stage' (don't ask). I never really saw 16 as a big-milestone, don't know why. Though I did think I would get a girlfriend by age 16 (and I was never one for wishful thinking or getting my hopes up). 18 was a bit of milestone, as that is the legal limit here. But it's nothing like reaching 20. I'd always thought 'twenty' was the true start of adulthood - being out of your teens, etc, but since I turned 20 on January 24th this year I still feel like a teenager. I don't want to be this old...every time I think of my age I feel a chill wind coming back to me from my future.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/09/06 at 8:17 am

'tis Monday here so um, Happy Birthday!  8)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/09/06 at 8:26 am

Happy Birthday man - crikey I thought you were much older (sorry) judging by the content of your posts!
Impressed by your wish to be a crisis councillor

have a great day dude :) :)

Written By: gemini on 04/10/06 at 1:19 pm

Happy Birthday! 16's a great age, just go with it, you'll be fine!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/10/06 at 1:22 pm

Have a great one.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/10/06 at 1:24 pm

Wait until you turn 30!  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 1:28 pm

Happy Birthday! 16's a great age, just go with it, you'll be fine!  :)

I haven't had a great age yet..  :-\\

I think I'll like my 20s much, much more than my teens.

Congrats velvetoneo, you have officially passed the 'moody pubescent' stage of your adolescence and entered the 'nueurotic stage' (don't ask). I never really saw 16 as a big-milestone, don't know why. Though I did think I would get a girlfriend by age 16 (and I was never one for wishful thinking or getting my hopes up).

LOL I know what you mean. I went through the "punky" stage 13-15 and had gotten past it by 16, but since about that age I've had other problems..

Same here too about the girlfriend thing.  When I was a kid, I just ASSUMED that teenagers had girlfriends, since all the ones i knew(older brother, cousins..) did.. but my teens have mostly come and gone(less than two years left- I'm 18 now) and I haven't had one.  I think that is part of why it bothers me so much.. I've wanted a g/f since I was 11 or 12 honestly, but I was never worried about it until I got to 16.  Its like one day I looked around and noticed I hadn't and it panicked me because I thought it would come naturally with the age, but it just didn't.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 2:03 pm

I haven't had a great age yet..  :-\\

I think I'll like my 20s much, much more than my teens.

LOL I know what you mean. I went through the "punky" stage 13-15 and had gotten past it by 16, but since about that age I've had other problems..

Same here too about the girlfriend thing.  When I was a kid, I just ASSUMED that teenagers had girlfriends, since all the ones i knew(older brother, cousins..) did.. but my teens have mostly come and gone(less than two years left- I'm 18 now) and I haven't had one.  I think that is part of why it bothers me so much.. I've wanted a g/f since I was 11 or 12 honestly, but I was never worried about it until I got to 16.  Its like one day I looked around and noticed I hadn't and it panicked me because I thought it would come naturally with the age, but it just didn't.

If it makes you feel better, I've never had a girlfriend either.  In fact, I've never been on a date.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/10/06 at 2:25 pm

Happy 16th Birthday! To think that someone as bright and smart as you is only 16 is short of miraculous. You give us hope for the future  ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 2:35 pm

If it makes you feel better, I've never had a girlfriend either.  In fact, I've never been on a date.

Same.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/06 at 4:03 pm

I was 16,16 Years ago. ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 4:05 pm

Happy Birthday to Me!

Written By: CeeKay on 04/10/06 at 5:33 pm

Happy Birthday to Me!

Happy Birthday to you! Cha Cha Cha! (That's what my kids always say).

Subject: Re: It's My Birthday!

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 7:52 pm

Cha Cha Cha! Charmin!

BUMP

Written By: KKay on 04/10/06 at 9:27 pm

happy birthday!!!
http://www.thenextleft.com/blogatory/archives/images/_41110121_cheerleaders_afp_body203.jpg

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 11:14 pm

Happy birthday. :)

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/06 at 11:15 pm

Happy Birthday to you :) :)

Written By: jackas on 04/11/06 at 12:53 am

I know how you feel.  I felt the same way when I was young.  It was almost like I wanted to stay young forever so that I didn't have to deal with getting older and leaving everything that was familiar and comfortable.  Now looking back, I would never want to be that young again.  Mostly because there is so much more freedom you get as an adult.

Written By: rich1981 on 04/11/06 at 1:36 am

Happy birthday velvetoneo! :)

Written By: Howard on 04/11/06 at 2:50 pm

http://images.radcity.net/3178/666584.jpg

Happy Birthday. O0

Check for new replies or respond here...