inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The best sleep ever

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/10/06 at 10:43 pm

As this semester of college nears the end, I am becoming more and more sleep deprived.  Or at least I feel like it.  When I have a paper, I write then try to take like a nap for an hour or 2 and then get up and write again.  And then get the paper done in time, and I'm lethargic for the rest of the day. Happens to everyone I'm sure, whether you're in college, have a busy job, whatever.

The best sleep I've ever had though, well it must have been some supernatural phenomenon or something ;P  It was about 8:30 pm and I was laying down and then closed my eyes.  I woke up feeling like I'd had a full night's rest and was thinking oh sh*t! I gotta get that paper done!  Then I looked at the clock- 8:40 pm.  My fiance was sitting up next to me and I was telling him omg that was the longest 10 minutes of my life and I loved it.  He said he had just woke up right before I did and he felt extremely rested as well.
Now I know some people have experienced sleep like that, or just the opposite: a full nights sleep felt like a wink. I thought it was all psychological though.  I keep wondering how in the world that can happen to 2 people in the same place at the same time. 
ANybody know anything about that?

Subject: Re: The best sleep ever

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/10/06 at 10:48 pm

I have heard that if you sleep for only like 20 minutes or so it is supposed to make you more refreshed then sleeping for hours would do.

The best kind of sleep IMO, is whenever my husband lets me sleep in on Saturdays, while he gets up with Vaughn....I LOVE those kinds of days!! :)

Written By: CeeKay on 04/10/06 at 11:35 pm

I thought it was all psychological though.  I keep wondering how in the world that can happen to 2 people in the same place at the same time. 
ANybody know anything about that?

Well, since I can't seem to sleep despite my extreme exhaustion, I'll talk to you a bit about this topic, which is a favorite of mine.  Sleep....dreams...love it.  As for your question, it's most likely a simple case of you both being in sync at that moment, relaxed and comfortable together, and drifting off for a brief and lovely bit of joint rest.  It does seems strange when it happens but accept it as a nice example of the little gifts of life.

Personally, I love those moments just before you fall into a deep sleep when you're not really awake, but just conscious enough to enjoy that floaty, drifting feeling. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/10/06 at 11:40 pm

I have heard that if you sleep for only like 20 minutes or so it is supposed to make you more refreshed then sleeping for hours would do.

I think this may be true.  The other day I only got 2 hours sleep, and once I got up and going that morning, I actually felt really good.  However last night I got 7 hours and I've felt groggy all day.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/11/06 at 12:08 am

Best sleep I ever had was the day of my college graduation.

After dinner , I just collapsed in bed and slept for like 13 hours straight.  I was so exhausted from studying for a full week for my last finals EVER and I was burnt out.  When I finally woke up, I felt like a 40 ton weight had been lifted off of me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/11/06 at 2:23 am

I remember when I was young, probably 8 or 9, I came home from a slumber party in which I hardly slept, so I came home crawled up in our recliner and slept hard for about 3 hours and then woke up feeling great.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 3:07 am

Sleep? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't quite place what it is.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/11/06 at 5:09 am

[quote author=

Written By: Gis on 04/11/06 at 6:04 am

Margaret Thatcher a former prime minister of Britain swore by cat napping for 10 or 20 minutes to keep alert.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/06 at 2:43 pm

I've never had the best sleep ever.

Written By: gemini on 04/11/06 at 4:04 pm

My best sleep is when I take a cat nap on the couch in the afternoon. I don't sleep well at all at night.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/11/06 at 5:05 pm

Naps are a wonderful thing.  I got a bit laughed at for suggesting one once, but I truly think they are
necessary to keep going during the day.  Sometimes a 10 to 20 minute nap is all you need to give you
a good second wind.  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 04/11/06 at 5:22 pm

You want to get sleep in 90 minute intervals... you'll wake up during R.E.M. and feel more rested... it's better to get 90 minutes then 300 in terms of restedness.

Check for new replies or respond here...