inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bay Area Thread

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/16/06 at 12:14 am

Discuss Northern California's Bay Area here.

Subject: Re: Bay Area Thread

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/06 at 12:21 am

Cool. To make it easier, here's Donnie's and my last couple responses.

Isn't that funny, how complex the Bay Area is?  The Bay Area, I'd say is the closest thing in the West to the East Coast.  Nowhere else out West can you go 8 miles in any direction, and feel 100 miles away LOL.

Definitely. I've often told people San Jose is like Super Mario Bros 3, where you can be in one area that has a distinct feel to it, then turn and go down the street, or up a ramp, etc. and it's like, Where'd this 'world' come from?

I think it's because alot of the streets change names, and there's alot of different topography. You can go from a shopping center or a busy street, to what looks like a deserted country road in half a mile.

What's also interesting is the terrain changes.  Most of the Bay Area is either urban, grassy, or oak woodlands, but in some places you hit areas that are almost rainforest-ish/have redwoods.  For instance, if you're ever been to Muir Woods, it sure doesn't seem like it's only a few miles from San Francisco.  Also, in some ways San Jose seems closer to LA than SF.

^ Yeah, I took a walk up there once I think in '94. The Santa Cruz mountains between here and the beach, have that mountainous feel, even though the summit is only 15 miles from each big city, or so.

I agree, too - I always thought there was a certain "central coast" feeling that has its origins in San Jose. Of course, it's only very basic (like 1986 is with the first 21st century feel), but the honest to God Bay Area seems to be more San Franciso to Milpitas or so.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/16/06 at 12:23 am

Isn't that funny, how complex the Bay Area is?  The Bay Area, I'd say is the closest thing in the West to the East Coast.  Nowhere else out West can you go 8 miles in any direction, and feel 100 miles away LOL.

Definitely. I've often told people San Jose is like Super Mario Bros 3, where you can be in one area that has a distinct feel to it, then turn and go down the street, or up a ramp, etc. and it's like, Where'd this 'world' come from?

I think it's because alot of the streets change names, and there's alot of different topography. You can go from a shopping center or a busy street, to what looks like a deserted country road in half a mile.

What's also interesting is the terrain changes.  Most of the Bay Area is either urban, grassy, or oak woodlands, but in some places you hit areas that are almost rainforest-ish/have redwoods.  For instance, if you're ever been to Muir Woods, it sure doesn't seem like it's only a few miles from San Francisco.  Also, in some ways San Jose seems closer to LA than SF.

^ Yeah, I took a walk up there once I think in '94. The Santa Cruz mountains between here and the beach, have that mountainous feel, even though the summit is only 15 miles from each big city, or so.

I agree, too - I always thought there was a certain "central coast" feeling that has its origins in San Jose. Of course, it's only very basic (like 1986 is with the first 21st century feel), but the honest to God Bay Area seems to be more San Franciso to Milpitas or so.

Yeah I'd agree with that.  I think San Jose to San Luis Obispo is more "central California". NorCal is like the immediate San Francisco area up to the Oregon border.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/16/06 at 12:23 am

IT'S BEEN RAINING NON STOP FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS!!!  :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/06 at 12:26 am

IT'S BEEN RAINING NON STOP FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS!!!  :(

I know, man -- it's crazy, isn't it? If you have to take the bus all the time, that means you especially know what it's like! I've always tended to complain about the hot weather in summer, but I don't think I'm gonna mind at all.

I saw something on the news that the number of days of rain in March beat records from as far back as 1904 in certain cities.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/06 at 12:29 am

Yeah I'd agree with that.  I think San Jose to San Luis Obispo is more "central California". NorCal is like the immediate San Francisco area up to the Oregon border.

That's true. North of Santa Rosa, it's almost like the same era - that real "northern" third or so, is way more rural with craggy hillsides and such, than anywhere else. Almost feels like a different state. Santa Rosa to SF feels like the transitional part (i.e. Novato is a different Bay Area than, say even Walnut Creek). If the north coast was the '70s, and the Bay Area was the '80s, this is the 1979-81 of that! ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/16/06 at 12:34 am

I know, man -- it's crazy, isn't it? If you have to take the bus all the time, that means you especially know what it's like! I've always tended to complain about the hot weather in summer, but I don't think I'm gonna mind at all.

I saw something on the news that the number of days of rain in March beat records from as far back as 1904 in certain cities.

I have to walk to and from school... about an hour's worth of walking a day.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/06 at 12:40 am

I have to walk to and from school... about an hour's worth of walking a day.

My old high school is just over a mile from here, I did that every day, too -- usually took 18-20ish minutes one way (faster if I was late, LOL). It feels like a freakin' eternity when it's pouring, though. Those were the times I'd wished I was further, just to get a bus! ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/16/06 at 12:43 am

My old high school is just over a mile from here, I did that every day, too -- usually took 18-20ish minutes one way (faster if I was late, LOL). It feels like a freakin' eternity when it's pouring, though. Those were the times I'd wished I was further, just to get a bus! ;D

Doesn't bother me, cools me off.. Though it seems to mysteriously stop when i walk...

MAGIC?!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/06 at 12:48 am

^ That's weird. But yeah, in general, I don't mind raining at all (it's almost like a mini shower, I just try to look at it that way - and in some ways, it is preferrential to blazing hot), but when it's every day for months, then it starts to be like enough already.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/16/06 at 12:51 am

^ That's weird. But yeah, in general, I don't mind raining at all (it's almost like a mini shower, I just try to look at it that way - and in some ways, it is preferrential to blazing hot), but when it's every day for months, then it starts to be like enough already.

Yeah, it's tiring... I want a weather change.. We were good for a day! Then we lost it...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/16/06 at 2:32 am

I went to Muir Woods on July 4th of last year and it was misty and foggy and cold. It was such a far cry from the weather we had just experienced in Tiburon - which was warm, crips air. It just goes to show how these microclimates work. I think the redwoods play a part in it, for sure.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/16/06 at 2:34 am

The rain has become a bit tiresome this year. I don't mind it when I'm sleeping, as it's relaxing, but I'm ready to go out and about and have some fun, but the weather hasn't been able to permit. Plus, walking to class in this weather has not been easy on me. Not good weather to handle presentations and stuff, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...