inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are people who label/categorize things assumed to be bigots/idiots?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/16/06 at 11:39 pm

I understand that some people who label things may be lazy, stupid, bigoted, or whatever, but some people like myself just like the science of it.  Why are us nitpickers assumed to be bigoted?

Subject: Re: Why are people who label/categorize things assumed to be bigots/idiots?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/17/06 at 12:15 am

Because it's easier to accuse someone of being a racist or a sexist or a homophobe than to take the time to ask why they think/feel that way.

Subject: Re: Why are people who label/categorize things assumed to be bigots/idiots?

Written By: jackas on 04/17/06 at 12:30 am

I would agree with her ^.  That and there are people out there that just have to be the victim.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/17/06 at 1:09 am

Because it's easier to accuse someone of being a racist or a sexist or a homophobe than to take the time to ask why they think/feel that way.

Yes.  People are simply the product of two things: their biology and their experience.  THAT'S IT.  Thus, if we're going to destroy these problems, we have to find the source.  And yes I think people just want to be a victim.  For instance, me calling Linkin Park nu metal isn't saying they suck; it's just classifying their music based on its traits.

Written By: Apricot on 04/17/06 at 9:22 am

Well, a bigot is different from just labeling things... for example, a bigot may assume, say, because I don't play sports, I must be gay. Or they might assume because someone is Puerto Rican, they're lazy.

For instance, me calling Linkin Park nu metal isn't saying they suck; it's just classifying their music based on its traits.

I've never seen someone get up in arms about this sort of thing.. people will only speak up if they think it's an incorrect classification.. for example, if you said "Human League is EMO.", a bunch of people are gonna go "What the f--k? Human League isn't EMO..." and stuff like that.. if they feel it's inaccurate, they speak up.

I've never seen anyone get called a bigot for classifying music though.. the only way I've ever known people to get called bigots is if they classify people by appearance or one behavior.

Written By: Tia on 04/17/06 at 9:33 am

people who stereotype are all the same.

Written By: Apricot on 04/17/06 at 9:40 am

God, I hate them.. their cars, their music, their so-called "religion".... their men are all skinny, and their wives are all FAT!

But mostly, I hate them because they judge groups of people.

Written By: KKay on 04/17/06 at 1:11 pm

youre funny.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/17/06 at 2:04 pm

I've never seen anyone get called a bigot for classifying music though.. the only way I've ever known people to get called bigots is if they classify people by appearance or one behavior.

I agree with that.  There are certain people who it's fair to classify though, that is if they have sold their soul and become part of a group.  There's a difference between making fun of someone for being Mexican and making fun of someone/lumping in goth kids.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/17/06 at 6:40 pm

I agree with that.  There are certain people who it's fair to classify though, that is if they have sold their soul and become part of a group.  There's a difference between making fun of someone for being Mexican and making fun of someone/lumping in goth kids.

And this is where the difference in ideology occurs. Why is one okay and not the other? While I would never choose to be a "goth kid," I cannot advocate stereotyping them, and certainly not making fun of them. There are, in my experience, very few productive ends that come from attempting to classify people. Even if you think you're complimenting someone with that sort of thing, it comes off as narrow-mindedness, because, well, once you've typified a group, you've closed your mind to members of the group having certain qualities or not having certain qualities.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/17/06 at 7:00 pm

And this is where the difference in ideology occurs. Why is one okay and not the other? While I would never choose to be a "goth kid," I cannot advocate stereotyping them, and certainly not making fun of them. There are, in my experience, very few productive ends that come from attempting to classify people. Even if you think you're complimenting someone with that sort of thing, it comes off as narrow-mindedness, because, well, once you've typified a group, you've closed your mind to members of the group having certain qualities or not having certain qualities.

I get where you're coming from, but there's a difference.  If you're Asian, you don't have a choice whether you're Asian or not.  You can't become Hispanic, black or white if you're tired of being Asian, you're stuck with it.

On the other hand, if you become a Goth, that copies everybody else, I'm sure deep down you're still an individual, but you've given up some of your identify.  Thus, classifying you as a Goth is fair.

This, of course is also fair with music.  If The Killers use Emo eyeshadow and appeal to Emo kids, why can't I say they're emo? I really don't buy the idea that every band has "their own unique style"; there's tons of copycat bands and even a lot of original bands still play somewhat similar music to others.  Thus, categorizing isn't cheapening their music or insulting it, but simply comparing it to something else.

Check for new replies or respond here...