inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Super Happy music you like!

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/22/06 at 10:11 pm

The Polyphonic Spree... uh... Some of The Flaming Lips is REALLY happy sounding

Subject: Re: Super Happy music you like!

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/22/06 at 10:40 pm

What is "The Juliana Theory"?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/22/06 at 10:52 pm

What is "The Juliana Theory"?

The band that Josh Fiedler is in (the guy I work with) I used to HATE that band... hate isn't even a strong enough word. But now I know him, and he's so bloody awesome, I decided to give them another chance. And... well... they make me happy. Ugh.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/22/06 at 10:53 pm

Don't feel bad about it.. If you really liked them, then you should be PROUD for it!

And i remember that now...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/23/06 at 12:23 am

The Flaming Lips
Beck
'60s British Invasion
The Bangles
The Go-Gos
Some '90s pop
Disco!!
Some Prince, MJ, and Madonna.
Some Motown.

Subject: Re: Slap Happy music you like!

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/06 at 2:56 am

Anything from the 80's, as long as it's not a hair band or some crappy rap artist

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/23/06 at 4:07 am

The ultimate pick-up song, 'Walking on Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves, also one of my favourite songs from the 80s.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/23/06 at 4:18 am

Hmm. I'm not sure that the stuff that makes me "super happy" is actually "super happy music," but maybe so. Anyway, lately, Ben Lee has been where I've turned for the super happy thing... and that's the way I like it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/23/06 at 5:38 am

Hmm. I'm not sure that the stuff that makes me "super happy" is actually "super happy music," but maybe so. Anyway, lately, Ben Lee has been where I've turned for the super happy thing... and that's the way I like it.

Ah, Ben Lee...*(mumbles under breath) sellout*...

'I hear Beyonce on the radio, that's the way I like, they play Sleepy Jackson on the Radio, that's the way I like it. They don't play me on the radio, that's the way I like it.'

A bit pretentious, don't you think?

But Ben Lee's cool...how could you not like his weasel-like persona?  :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/23/06 at 3:46 pm

The ultimate pick-up song, 'Walking on Sunshine' by Katrina and the Waves, also one of my favourite songs from the 80s.

I've been known to follow it up with "Sunshine after the Rain", by Berri/New Atlantic, probably one of the most upbeat tracks of the 90s, at least when my name hasn't been on the playlist :)

Close second for upbeat eurodance:  Sotto Voce, "Higher and Higher", and Beri, "Shine like a Star".  All three tracks from around 1995-1996ish.

Yeah, it's cheesy -but then, euro was the hair metal of the 90s, and proudly so :)

Written By: Apricot on 04/23/06 at 6:02 pm

Beck

What Beck are you listening to that's super happy? I mean, he has some upbeat songs, but that guy's got a giant death obsession.. listen through an album.. the word "noose" figures way too prominently in most of his albums.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/23/06 at 6:38 pm

A lot of 80's stuff was fun, and stuff from the 60's, too. Like that,

"If You Wanna Be Happy"

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/23/06 at 8:58 pm

I've been known to follow it up with "Sunshine after the Rain", by Berri/New Atlantic, probably one of the most upbeat tracks of the 90s, at least when my name hasn't been on the playlist :)

Close second for upbeat eurodance:  Sotto Voce, "Higher and Higher", and Beri, "Shine like a Star".  All three tracks from around 1995-1996ish.

Yeah, it's cheesy -but then, euro was the hair metal of the 90s, and proudly so :)

Who says the 90s weren't a happy decade? So much of the music was so upbeat - maybe it was all the happy pills they were taking.  :) :) :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 3:35 pm

I really like Happy Hardcore techno ... must be the hyper side of me  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/24/06 at 7:22 pm

What Beck are you listening to that's super happy? I mean, he has some upbeat songs, but that guy's got a giant death obsession.. listen through an album.. the word "noose" figures way too prominently in most of his albums.

Maybe he's downloading happy only songs!... ?

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/24/06 at 7:25 pm

I really like Happy Hardcore techno ... must be the hyper side of me  ;D

or the XTC side of you?

Written By: Apricot on 04/24/06 at 7:45 pm

Maybe he's downloading happy only songs!... ?

It's hard to avoid Beck's death songs.. "Girl" is about stealing your dead lover's soul... "E-Pro" is full of death references... "Loser" talks about suicide in a few lines, kidnapping, cocaine...

Unless you're, like, avoiding all but the Midnite Vultures album... and about half of Mutations...

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/24/06 at 11:47 pm

It's hard to avoid Beck's death songs.. "Girl" is about stealing your dead lover's soul... "E-Pro" is full of death references... "Loser" talks about suicide in a few lines, kidnapping, cocaine...

Unless you're, like, avoiding all but the Midnite Vultures album... and about half of Mutations...

Mutations is almost all sad... Girl may be about death, but it SOUNDS happy!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/28/06 at 1:14 am

I'm gonna go straight to h-e-double-hockeysticks for this. But what Peter Gabriel sang with bitter irony, I've been known to sing with conviction, at least, after ~mumbledollars~ wort of food.

Peter Gabriel, "Big Time", from _So_, 1986.

"Big time!  My belly's getting bigger!  Big time!  And my bank account!"

For that matter, the same applies to Pop Will Eat Itself, "Hit the High-Tech Groove", from _Go Box Frenzy_, maybe a few years earlier.

"You don't have to have integrity!
You don't have to have ability!
So listen kiddies, it's true what they say,
You don't need respectability!"

Scary thing is that i've earned every penny I've made within the law, and I sleep very well at night (heh, I'll slip in a quote from the bad guy in Don Henley's _Garden of *censored*_ in there too :).

It's just been so much fun that it didn't feel like "work".  The songs I mention are merely the closest that any pop musician has ever come to expressing the way I feel about what I do for a living... even if they mean it in the exact opposite way :)

Check for new replies or respond here...