inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you ever been a peeping Tom?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/25/06 at 9:56 pm

I don't mean in the stalkerish kind of way either...I'm not some shady creep :D ;)

I am talking about this...sometimes I like to go for walks and just stroll by houses in the neighborhood and see what they look like inside...like if they have their lights on, or whatever, sometimes you can see the livingroom, or staircase, etc.  We have a lot of really big old houses in our neighborhood...so it is neat to see what they look like inside.

So, am I the only oddball that does this? ??? :D

Subject: Re: Have you ever been a peeping Tom?

Written By: La Roche on 04/25/06 at 9:58 pm

Nah, I try and see what people are watching on TV.. and every so often, you might see some tits or something if somebody didn't close their bedroom curtains.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/25/06 at 9:58 pm

:o

At first I thought you meant the creepy way... Then I thought "WHO WOULD CONFESS!?"

Yes, sometimes, I'll look inside.. I noticed that this one person a street away is ALWAYS watching hockey!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/25/06 at 10:00 pm

Sometimes I drive through my old neighborhood and do that with our old house. Ah, memories.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/25/06 at 10:01 pm

Sometimes I drive through my old neighborhood and do that with our old house. Ah, memories.

ya, and it is so strange to see "strangers" going about their business in the house that we lived in for like 15 years. :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/25/06 at 10:19 pm

Nah, I try and see what people are watching on TV.. and every so often, you might see some tits or something if somebody didn't close their bedroom curtains.
;D  LOL,  maybe they don't close the curtains on purpose.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 04/25/06 at 10:24 pm

;D  LOL,  maybe they don't close the curtains on purpose.  ::)

My pretzel deep-throating reputation preceeds me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/25/06 at 10:31 pm

Not really...unless I'm REALLY bored

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/25/06 at 10:34 pm

My pretzel deep-throating reputation preceeds me.
to quote James Earl Jones from the movie Field Of Dreams  "You're seeing a team of psychiatrists, aren't you"?

Written By: La Roche on 04/25/06 at 10:37 pm

to quote James Earl Jones from the movie Field Of Dreams  "You're seeing a team of psychiatrists, aren't you"?

Just the one.. but it's a robot.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/25/06 at 10:39 pm

Just the one.. but it's a robot.
that's cool as long as it knows how to prescribe xanax  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 04/25/06 at 10:40 pm

that's cool as long as it knows how to prescribe xanax  ;)

Ok, we're gonna get in trouble for thread jacking here, so I'll just say this..

.. I have a total xanax hook up. I take vast quantities  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/06 at 10:42 pm

I do that all the time.  One of the houses down the street from me .. one night I could see that their TV was a JVC model just like mine, so I ran home and got my remote and as I was standing on the sidewalk, I was able to change their TV channels with my remote.  The people in the house were all in a panic.  I could hear them screaming and arguing ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/25/06 at 10:44 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/06 at 10:48 pm

OMG....that's hilarious!! ;D :D  They probably thought they were being invaded or something!! ;D

The real funny part ... I did it quite a few times over a period of like 3 weeks.  Then, one day as I was walking to catch my bus, I notice the dude who lives at the house was pulling a box out of his car.  It looked like a brand new TV, so my guess would be that they thought their old TV was on the fritz.  Little do they know the truth MWHAAHAHAHAA ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/25/06 at 10:50 pm

Ok, we're gonna get in trouble for thread jacking here, so I'll just say this..

.. I have a total xanax hook up. I take vast quantities  ;D
Vast is a good word. Me, only as needed  ;)

back to topic so Erin doesn't jettison us, for my house in this day and age of crime, I prefer to keep curtains closed most of the time.

OMG....that's hilarious!! ;D :D  They probably thought they were being invaded or something!! ;D
wһіѕ

Written By: CeeKay on 04/26/06 at 12:47 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: CeeKay on 04/26/06 at 12:51 am

I don't mean in the stalkerish kind of way either...I'm not some shady creep :D ;)

I am talking about this...sometimes I like to go for walks and just stroll by houses in the neighborhood and see what they look like inside...like if they have their lights on, or whatever, sometimes you can see the livingroom, or staircase, etc.  We have a lot of really big old houses in our neighborhood...so it is neat to see what they look like inside.

No. You are not the only oddball.  I love looking in houses.  I prefer if there are not people -- I don't care about the people.  When I lived in NYC, I loved walking past the Brownstones in Manhattan and being able to see how the houses were set up -- built-in bookshelves lined with books, baby grand pianos in the front room, or rooms filled with plants, lovely furniture or an eclectic design style.  I thought it was fascinating. 

Now, in the suburbs of the West, it's just not the same.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/26/06 at 12:53 am

Nope, because I'd feel uber-creeped out if someone was doing that to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/06 at 1:43 am

Alfred Hitchcock had a thing about voyeurism, two of his biggest films dealt with that subject, Psycho and Rear Window. bUt has anyone seen the early 60s film Peeping Tom directed by Michael Powell?

Written By: whistledog on 04/26/06 at 1:57 am

How about THIS Peeping Tom?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/06 at 2:00 am

He has the right eyes for it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/26/06 at 3:14 am

I use to enjoy taking walks with my friend around our old neighborhood as children. One time we stole roses from some neighbors front yards. I never thought of it as stealing then, but I guess that's it would be considered now.

I like to drive through housing tracts around Christmas season and see those sorts of scenes through their windows, like people decorating their tree, hanging mistletoe, putting lights up, Christmas Carolling, etc.

Written By: karen on 04/26/06 at 3:33 am

There are many houses in the UK that have no front garden at all so it is really easy to see in the front room.  I usually look at the decor and any ornaments on the window sill.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/26/06 at 5:57 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 6:19 am

I have to admit if I were given to power of invisibility, I would definitely make use of it  ;D.

Written By: KKay on 04/26/06 at 8:52 am

I had a friend that was kind of a peeping tom, but it is also similar to what you've all been mentioning.

i wuld buy a six pack and go to his house; we set up two chairs at the window and turned onthe lights and watched the windows of a big apartment building..it was like having a bunch of tvs on at once...

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:14 am

I had a friend that was kind of a peeping tom, but it is also similar to what you've all been mentioning.

i wuld buy a six pack and go to his house; we set up two chairs at the window and turned onthe lights and watched the windows of a big apartment building..it was like having a bunch of tvs on at once...

An apartment block and binoculars...I'd have a field day. Just like on 'Rear Window'...

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/27/06 at 10:14 am

I have to admit if I were given to power of invisibility, I would definitely make use of it  ;D.

LOL! Way back in Junior High us guys used to talk about what it'd be like if could make ourselves invisible.  Usually the conversation would turn to going in the girl's locker room. ;D

Written By: Darkbreed on 04/27/06 at 10:53 am

I was never a peeping tom,
but i was a peeping tim  ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/27/06 at 8:20 pm

I was never a peeping tom,
but i was a peeping tim  ;)

Your name Tim? ;D

Written By: Darkbreed on 04/27/06 at 8:42 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/06 at 8:45 pm

I do a lot.. until one day, I was looking in a house, and there was a fat (at least 280 pounds) hairy man sitting naked in his living room, staring right at me.

Once you see a man's penis in a window, you stop looking.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/27/06 at 8:51 pm

I do a lot.. until one day, I was looking in a house, and there was a fat (at least 280 pounds) hairy man sitting naked in his living room, staring right at me.

eww....yuck. So, he was sitting, yet you could still get a view of his penis...I mean, with all of the rolls of fat and everything? ;)

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/06 at 9:09 pm

eww....yuck. So, he was sitting, yet you could still get a view of his penis...I mean, with all of the rolls of fat and everything? ;)

It was right out there... just hanging there..

It was terrifying. I was 12.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 9:12 pm

Naughty boy...serves you right for being a peeping Tom in the first place!

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/06 at 9:14 pm

Years ago, as I was leaving the movie theatre downtown at night, as I walked down the block, I could see inside the window of this basement apartment.  There, sitting in a real ugly chair, was this guy who was just like Al Bundy ... sitting him his chair with is hand down his pants.  Just from the quick glance I got, the room this dude was sitting in, looked like those old abandoned places you see on those Crime TV Dramas ... black stains all over the walls, loose tiling, old furniture lying everywhere.

It was that day that I thanked god that I don't live downtown ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 9:17 pm

I wouldn't like to a be a fly on the wall in Ed Gein's little house of horrors, that's for sure.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 9:40 pm

Confucius say: If one has a weak stomach, peer not into fat man's house when said man is in act of changing...

;D

Written By: La Roche on 04/27/06 at 9:42 pm

I wouldn't like to a be a fly on the wall in Ed Gein's little house of horrors, that's for sure.

I would.

Ed's pretty much my hero.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/27/06 at 11:58 pm

Oh...my...gosh.  That is simultaneously one of the most awful and most hysterical things I've ever heard.  I'd never look in a window again.  eeewww. :o

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/28/06 at 12:06 am

Oh...my...gosh.  That is simultaneously one of the most awful and most hysterical things I've ever heard.  I'd never look in a window again.  eeewww. :o

With me, quite the contrary: I'll be sure to look in as many windows as humanly possible.

:P

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/28/06 at 12:52 am

Confucius say: If one has a weak stomach, peer not into fat man's house when said man is in act of changing...

;D

I weigh about 265 lbs

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 6:34 am

[quote author=

Written By: CeeKay on 04/28/06 at 7:43 am

[quote author=

Written By: La Roche on 04/28/06 at 1:03 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 1:17 am

Sorry.  That was thoughtless of us.  :-\\

There are alot of thin people which many people would find disgusting to look at naked  ;)

Written By: Fred on 04/30/06 at 3:08 am

I wouldn't say so, but I like to look around. But hey, doesn't everybody?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/25/06 at 10:17 pm

I love looking at people's decorations on holidays, etc...like when you can see their Christmas tree in their window, etc..

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 10:19 pm

I don't peek into peoples' homes, no.  I like looking at outdoor decorations and stuff like that, but I won't peer in someone's window.  I would get super freaked out if I saw someone doing that to me.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/25/06 at 10:58 pm

I've never actually gone up to someone's window and peered in...I just like to take walks around the neighborhood sometimes...and as I am walking...glace at a house and see how their house is decorated, etc.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 11:26 pm

Sort of. ;)

The townhouse complex we live in now (the Bay Area is expensive - I still live with my parents), is the second unit we've been in. We were renting the first one from 1996-'02 and to make a long story short, when the owner wanted to sell it, we moved into one that was opening up around that time.

So, whenever I walk by the old unit, I like to glimpse in the windows to see how it looks compared to when I was there (no, it's not like some 1987 childhood memory, but it still somewhat has that cozy feeling of "the past").

Although once, a couple years ago, the next door neighbor yelled at me when I was verrrrry slowly walking by the backyard. So I try to be more subtle now. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/25/06 at 11:38 pm

So, whenever I walk by the old unit, I like to glimpse in the windows to see how it looks compared to when I was there (no, it's not like some 1987 childhood memory, but it still somewhat has that cozy feeling of "the past").

see...I'm NOT the only silly person that gets a cozy feeling by seeing people's everyday happenings! :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 11:47 pm

see...I'm NOT the only silly person that gets a cozy feeling by seeing people's everyday happenings! :D ;D

;D

Especially if it was the same place I had mine! For all I know, back in 1998 there was some guy walking by my window, looking at me and saying, "Dude, this was my pad in 1991, I wish I was in that room again! That guy is lucky". ;)

Just the other day, I was coming back from work with my old-school Walkman that had a mixtape I recorded about 8 years ago. When I passed my old window, the room looked pretty sparse (it's probably a guest bedroom or something. I think a mid-aged couple bought it) and I thought, This tape was born in that room!

That's not too pathetic, is it? :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 11:58 pm

If I saw someone walking around my subdivision looking at the windows of my house,  I'd run outside with my baseball bat.  I don't care if you used to live here or not....get the f*ck off my lawn.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/26/06 at 12:10 am

If I saw someone walking around my subdivision looking at the windows of my house,  I'd run outside with my baseball bat.  I don't care if you used to live here or not....get the f*ck off my lawn.

Oh no, LORD no, I'd never do that (and reversely, I'd get p*ssed if I ever caught anyone doing it to my place). Maybe I worded it wrong (if so, my bad :) ), let me explan.

There's a couple little roads/driveways in our complex that lead up to the detached garages. Now, my old unit has the garage right below where the apartment sits pretty much (like, one story up). From the street, you can see up and kinda into the windows, but it's a distance away too. And, there's a main walkway behind the house that you can sorta see the sliding glass door from (which leads into the living room area). But, by no means are either of them close enough to where you'd be on someone's property.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/26/06 at 12:24 am

Yeah, I'd say that'd make me stop looking too. Did he notice/say something (you'd think someone would at least try to cover up in a situation like that)?

P.S. I can't help but laugh at the way you worded that -- as if the penis were there all by itself, without the man attached to it. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/26/06 at 12:25 am

I do that all the time.  One of the houses down the street from me .. one night I could see that their TV was a JVC model just like mine, so I ran home and got my remote and as I was standing on the sidewalk, I was able to change their TV channels with my remote.  The people in the house were all in a panic.  I could hear them screaming and arguing ;D

;D

Ever seen the movie Grumpy Old Men with Walter Mathau and Jack Lemmon? That's what this reminded me of.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/26/06 at 12:32 am

I like looking at houses when I'm walking/cycling/driving past, but I try not to look into the house. Of course if the curtains are open and the lights are on, then it's hard not to sneak a peek.

And here it is not an offence to go up someones drive and have a nosy, unl;ess someone sees you and asks you to leave. Refusing to leave after that would be trespassing.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/06 at 6:31 am

;D

Especially if it was the same place I had mine! For all I know, back in 1998 there was some guy walking by my window, looking at me and saying, "Dude, this was my pad in 1991, I wish I was in that room again! That guy is lucky". ;)

Just the other day, I was coming back from work with my old-school Walkman that had a mixtape I recorded about 8 years ago. When I passed my old window, the room looked pretty sparse (it's probably a guest bedroom or something. I think a mid-aged couple bought it) and I thought, This tape was born in that room!

That's not too pathetic, is it? :D

no, that's not pathetic at all...I do the same things sometimes. ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 09/26/06 at 3:07 pm

Not really, never thought about doing it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/06 at 3:35 pm

I don't think I do it-at least consciencely. Sometimes your eyes just go without thinking about it. However, I notice people do that to us ALL THE TIME. We will be sitting in the livingroom and if anyone walks by-sure enough, they look in. We would close the blinds but it is so hard to open and close them and the plants in the room need the morning sunlight. So, if we decided to do "anything" in the living-you can bet your @$$ that we WILL close the blinds. And the t.v. isn't anywhere for them to watch from outside.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/26/06 at 4:50 pm

No I haven't but I would love to,I'd just insert a camera inside Robin's bathroom. ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 5:50 pm

No I haven't but I would love to,I'd just insert a camera inside Robin's bathroom. ;)

You are aware that's illegal, right?

Written By: Howard on 09/26/06 at 6:00 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 6:01 pm

How is that illegal? Not unless she doesn't find out about it.

Are you kidding me?  You can't videotape someone in their home without their consent.  It's against the law.  Furthermore, I can't think of a woman who'd allow herself to be videotaped in the bathroom in the first place.  That's an extreme invasion of their privacy.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/06 at 6:04 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 6:06 pm

Yeah True you have a point there.

Seriously Howard.....you don't do that. 

Written By: Howard on 09/26/06 at 6:08 pm

[quote author=

Check for new replies or respond here...