inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what are your hobbies?

Written By: carrie bradshaw on 04/27/06 at 6:55 am

i love drawing, paiting, listening to music, going out at night.....and you?
kisses
carrie
www.estheretcie.net

Subject: Re: what are your hobbies?

Written By: karen on 04/27/06 at 7:04 am

Orienteering (though not competing as often as I used to), Scouting, ferrying my children around and procrastination

Written By: CeeKay on 04/27/06 at 7:38 am

Writing and performing poetry.
Playing the piano.
Watching movies.
I'm beginning to dabble with gardening.

Written By: karen on 04/27/06 at 7:39 am

Writing and performing poetry.

Perform as in live, stand up, reading it?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/27/06 at 8:22 am

photography, Ebay, collecting antiques, going thrift shopping, going to yard sales, messageboards, reading, writing, spending time with my family.

Written By: La Roche on 04/27/06 at 8:26 am

Composing music.
Performing. (Music, Theatre etc)
Football
Soccer
I love to swim

Written By: KKay on 04/27/06 at 8:53 am

Lazing on the beach (all year)
Playing with the dawg
Gardening ferociously
Singing, guitar, writing
Horror movies
cooking
hiking
sailing
beer

Written By: lorac614 on 04/27/06 at 9:09 am

Reading.
Boating on the lake.
Fishing.
Not a hobby, but something that I love more than anything being with my family.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/27/06 at 9:13 am

Perform as in live, stand up, reading it?

Yes.  And stuff like...adding music or a little costume or creating a particular character depending on the poem.  Open mike nights.  Or poet gatherings...hippy chick stuff like that  ;)

Written By: KKay on 04/27/06 at 10:39 am

oh yeah...collecting..
I have collections of

vintage board games
stamps
NASA stuff (apollo missions-specifically)
LPs

Written By: Tia on 04/27/06 at 10:46 am

i have a few die-hard hobbies -- guitar playing, songwriting, writing nonfiction, a few other things. and then i have very fickle ones that come and go -- viewmaster collecting, for instance, which lasted for about, oh, 9 viewmaster reels.ebay is killing me. i'm dying here!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 10:46 am

I used to be an avid aquarist...anyone else here share an interest in fish-keeping?

Written By: KKay on 04/27/06 at 10:47 am

i have a few die-hard hobbies -- guitar playing, songwriting, writing nonfiction, a few other things. and then i have very fickle ones that come and go -- viewmaster collecting, for instance, which lasted for about, oh, 9 viewmaster reels.ebay is killing me. i'm dying here!

you know what would be great?
why not just come to my house with a checkbook and a shopping cart!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/27/06 at 11:34 am

collecting and listening to music
making pottery
collecting keychains

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:36 am

Creating music on my computer...I think I created a thread on it  ;)

Written By: Gis on 04/27/06 at 11:38 am

Reading, painting, gardening, going to gigs,watching films,drinking wine,sewing and I too am an absolute Ebay addict !

I think we ought to start an Ebayers Annonymous thread.  ;D

'Hi My name is Gis and I'm an Ebayaholoic'

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 12:23 pm

Making music, coin collecting, inthe00s

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 12:27 pm

Making music, coin collecting, inthe00s

I used to into coin collecting when I was younger, then I kinda just forgot about it. I still have a lot of the coins that I got a coin shops lying around somewhere. I also did some stamp collecting later, I have a whole book of these gold plated stamp things.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 12:28 pm

I used to into coin collecting when I was younger, then I kinda just forgot about it. I still have a lot of the coins that I got a coin shops lying around somewhere. I also did some stamp collecting later, I have a whole book of these gold plated stamp things.

I'm not as big in it as I used to be, but I have bought a lot of silver because the prices are rising to insane proportions.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 12:31 pm

I'm not as big in it as I used to be, but I have bought a lot of silver because the prices are rising to insane proportions.

I have a proof set from 1993, and a coin value book from 1994. I was a pretty smart little kid, lol. I also have some really old coins (late 1800's) somewhere.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/27/06 at 12:32 pm

collecting and listening to music
making pottery
collecting keychains

I have always wanted to learn to make pottery.  I'm happy you do that. 
(keychains are a cool thing to collect!)

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/06 at 12:34 pm

My main hobby is making, collecting and downloading mp3's.  Just how addicted am I?

I currently have close to 7000 mp3's.  Over 4100 of those are every U.S. charting hit of the 80's

Written By: CeeKay on 04/27/06 at 12:35 pm

Oh yeah...dream interpretation.

And studying world religions.

I like reading biographies, but haven't had much time for that in years.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/27/06 at 12:37 pm

I have always wanted to learn to make pottery.  I'm happy you do that. 
(keychains are a cool thing to collect!)

Thank you.  :)

I've been making pottery since my college days (many years ago) and I've had some students.  It really is very satisfying being able to make your own coffee cups, bowls, etc.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/27/06 at 12:39 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 8:52 pm

When did you begin collecting?

I collect mp3s as well...I began in late 2003, and now have a mere 4,600 (all neatly organised, no doubles.etc). Maybe we can trade itunes library lists?

Written By: rich1981 on 04/27/06 at 9:36 pm

TONS, but here goes:

Model cars and train collecting
Coins
Origami
Drawing
Reading
Game Shows
Internet surfing
Mp3/CD Collecting (have 4000+)
Bowling
Speed Typing (not so much lately though)
Computer Programming my own games (kinda crappy ones though)
Photography
Puzzles
Bargain Hunting

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 9:40 pm

When did you begin collecting?

I collect mp3s as well...I began in late 2003, and now have a mere 4,600 (all neatly organised, no doubles.etc). Maybe we can trade itunes library lists?

I began in 1999, quit in '01, started again in '02 and still sort of collect.

4,600!! WHOA!  My taste isn't similar to yours from what you've said, but I'd be more than happy to trade.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 9:41 pm

4,600!! WHOA!  My taste isn't similar to yours from what you've said, but I'd be more than happy to trade.

Sorry that was aimed at Whistledog...but yeah, I wouldn't mind swapping library collections...

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 9:42 pm

I don't actually mean mp3s...well I'm not going to discuss it on this board, get back to me later  ;) ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/27/06 at 9:48 pm

Reading, writing, and my Yankees. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/27/06 at 11:25 pm

In approximate order of cost:

Classic car restoration
Music collection
Alcohol consumption
Gourmet cooking
Electronics / hardware-hacking

Life's too short to drink bad beer, bad wine, bad whisky, or eat bad food.

Life's too short to drive a car you don't enjoy.  Whether you spend $5K to hack a $15K hybrid to get 100+MPG, or spend $20K to get 10 MPG out of a classic, it costs you the same amount of money, and both are as much fun.  Hacking high mileage out of hybrid/electric/solar vehicles is going to be this decade's equivalent out of hacking extra horsepower out of hot rods in the 50s.

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/06 at 11:33 pm

Another of my hobbies is keeping the Vintage Atari experience alive.  I still have my Atari 7800 that I got for Xmas of '84, and over the years, have found over 100 games for it, and still going 8)

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/27/06 at 11:36 pm

What artists do you have?

I have 10, 489 songs.  :P

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/27/06 at 11:59 pm

shopping
run/walking
baking/cooking
collecting vinyl
dancing
anacrostics
listening to music
photography

Written By: CeeKay on 04/28/06 at 12:04 am

shopping
run/walking
baking/cooking
collecting vinyl
dancing
anacrostics
listening to music
photography

Wow.  You are a busy and interesting lady!  And you've reminded me....I love anacrostics.  But mostly, I love solving Cryptograms.  That's one I forgot to list.  (And word puzzles generally....and games, participatory games like Pictionary or Scattergories or Charades).

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/28/06 at 12:10 am

Wow.  You are a busy and interesting lady!  And you've reminded me....I love anacrostics.  But mostly, I love solving Cryptograms.  That's one I forgot to list.  (And word puzzles generally....and games, participatory games like Pictionary or Scattergories or Charades).

let's hang out  :D ;D ;)..lemme tell ya i have to say backatcha as i was telling your sister earlier after discovering your band thang..way cool  8) :)

..a highlight in my life is doing freelance work for dell crosswords..there's no money in it but wow talk about a dream  :D ;D..oh and don't get me going on games..did someone say Scrabble  :D ;)

Written By: CeeKay on 04/28/06 at 12:19 am

let's hang out  :D ;D ;)..lemme tell ya i have to say backatcha as i was telling your sister earlier after discovering your band thang..way cool  8) :)

..a highlight in my life is doing freelance work for dell crosswords..there's no money in it but wow talk about a dream  :D ;D..oh and don't get me going on games..did someone say Scrabble  :D ;)

Oooh.  You've got to tell me how you got a gig with Dell.  Back on the "Quirks" thread I talked about my airport routine.  And part of that routine is stopping at the newsstand and buying the latest Dell Puzzle Magazine (even if I never finished the one before..which I never do...I have to buy a brand new one for every trip). 

That is very cool.  And ... oooh... one of these days, some online Scrabble, hm?  There's got to be a way.

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/28/06 at 12:27 am

Oooh.  You've got to tell me how you got a gig with Dell.  Back on the "Quirks" thread I talked about my airport routine.  And part of that routine is stopping at the newsstand and buying the latest Dell Puzzle Magazine (even if I never finished the one before..which I never do...I have to buy a brand new one for every trip). 

That is very cool.  And ... oooh... one of these days, some online Scrabble, hm?  There's got to be a way.

ok chick..for starters..on-line Scrabble exists..however..prone to cheaters  :P..and i bought the software/game but didn't venture too far with it  :-\\

as for the gig,i had a subscription with Dell a few years ago and they sent me a test packet to solve for them as a test and i thought i'd won the freakin' lottery...my alter ego to ktelqueen is grammarqueen so i was like ok totally up my alley let's go..and then..nothing... :\'( :-\\ ;D..a year later they called me apologizing for the delay,saying i had scored really high and would i do it..i was waving my hand like pick me,pick me..sign me up  :D ;D..and it has developed from there..it's a passion,it doesn't feed the kids i don't have  ;D ;) :P

Written By: CeeKay on 04/28/06 at 12:45 am

ok chick..for starters..on-line Scrabble exists..however..prone to cheaters  :P..and i bought the software/game but didn't venture too far with it  :-\\

There may be other options.  But who knows when I will have time to look into it.  Still...something for the future perhaps.

as for the gig,i had a subscription with Dell a few years ago and they sent me a test packet to solve for them as a test and i thought i'd won the freakin' lottery...my alter ego to ktelqueen is grammarqueen so i was like ok totally up my alley let's go..and then..nothing... :\'( :-\\ ;D..a year later they called me apologizing for the delay,saying i had scored really high and would i do it..i was waving my hand like pick me,pick me..sign me up  :D ;D..and it has developed from there..it's a passion,it doesn't feed the kids i don't have  ;D ;) :P

This is fantastic.  I had a subscription with them for years and they never sent me a test packet.  "grammar/spelling/exactness of spaces/etc"  YES.  I totally get that.  Now I have to subscribe again or write to them or something.  I want to do what you do....just for a little while so I can say I did that.  I have to get some sleep.  But this was a cool way to end the day  :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/28/06 at 1:52 am

There may be other options.  But who knows when I will have time to look into it.  Still...something for the future perhaps.

This is fantastic.  I had a subscription with them for years and they never sent me a test packet.  "grammar/spelling/exactness of spaces/etc"  YES.  I totally get that.  Now I have to subscribe again or write to them or something.  I want to do what you do....just for a little while so I can say I did that.   I have to get some sleep.  But this was a cool way to end the day  :)

so is mahahaing..thankyou for that  8) ;)

Written By: gemini on 04/28/06 at 9:19 pm

Flower gardening, going to antique stores, which I'm going to do tomorrow! Collecting alot of different stuff, old flower pots, watering cans, 50s diner stuff, advertising signs, and just other old random stuff that I might find while flea marketing or antiquing.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 12:10 am

What artists do you have?

I have 10, 489 songs.  :P

I mostly do synth pop, i.e. Tears for Fears, a-ha, Depeche Mode, etc., but I also have a Worst Songs Ever collection which includes masterpieces like Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue by Toby Keith, The Final Countdown by Europe and Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/29/06 at 2:13 am

Lazing on the beach (all year)
Playing with the dawg
Gardening ferociously
Singing, guitar, writing
Horror movies
cooking
hiking
sailing
beer
I thought this was a career choice ???  ;D

I like collecting and listening to 70's Classic Rock
Playing the blues on my harmonica
I love to cook, I broiled lobster tails for dinner tonight and they were awesome.
I play tons of softball, league 2 nights a week, and tournaments 2 weekends a month.
I love to do yardwork and gardening
I love to read
Texas Hold Em poker for money
and Wild Horse Rummy for trophies

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 1:48 am

I mostly do synth pop, i.e. Tears for Fears, a-ha, Depeche Mode, etc., but I also have a Worst Songs Ever collection which includes masterpieces like Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue by Toby Keith, The Final Countdown by Europe and Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper  ;D

What percentage of your collection is 80s music? I don't imagine you would have much contemparary indie stuff in that list...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/30/06 at 2:37 am

What percentage of your collection is 80s music? I don't imagine you would have much contemparary indie stuff in that list...

Percentage? Not counting Worst Songs, maybe 60-70%.

Actually I have Death Cab, The Shins, Postal Service, and Franz Ferdinand on my computer.  I do like some indie, I'm just not crazy about the scene.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/30/06 at 12:14 pm

Percentage? Not counting Worst Songs, maybe 60-70%.

Actually I have Death Cab, The Shins, Postal Service, and Franz Ferdinand on my computer.  I do like some indie, I'm just not crazy about the scene.

If THAT'S the kind of Indie you've been exposed to, now wonder why you hate it so much.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/30/06 at 12:42 pm

Reading
Painting
Collecting music, magazines, books, postcards, antiques, etc.
Gardening
Keeping my car clean

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/06 at 12:44 pm

I'm sure everyone will be surprised to know that I collect coins.  :D ;D ;D 

Other hobbies:
Sailing
Playing poker
Spending $$$  ;D
Eating
Posting on a certain message board  ;)
Playing on the computer

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/30/06 at 12:58 pm

I'm sure everyone will be surprised to know that I collect coins.  :D ;D ;D 

Other hobbies:
Sailing
Playing poker
Spending $$$  ;D
Eating
Posting on a certain message board  ;)
Playing on the computer

Cat

;D  I actually did not know you sailed. That's cool  8) 

And of course, how could I forget to mention posting on this board - doh!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pirat.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/06 at 1:26 pm

;D  I actually did not know you sailed. That's cool  8) 

And of course, how could I forget to mention posting on this board - doh!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pirat.gif

Actually, Hubby sails. I drop and pull up the anchor.  ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/30/06 at 3:02 pm

Actually, Hubby sails. I drop and pull up the anchor.  ;D

Cat

Hey, got to give ya credit for doing that much  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/06 at 4:29 pm

Hey, got to give ya credit for doing that much  ;D

I also jump off the boat at the dock to tie it off/jump on the boat after untying her-or grab the mooring line when we "park" her when coming home. Oh yeah, I also do the dishes (since he also cooks).

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/30/06 at 6:24 pm

I also jump off the boat at the dock to tie it off/jump on the boat after untying her-or grab the mooring line when we "park" her when coming home. Oh yeah, I also do the dishes (since he also cooks).

Cat

It sounds like you've got a great guy. He knows when to let you relax and when to have ya help (of course, not too much - but just enough  ;)).

I like helping my boyfriend out with those things. He tends to like taking over the cooking duties and I do help, but I can see he enjoys it as well, so sometimes I'll back off.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/06 at 6:37 pm

It sounds like you've got a great guy. He knows when to let you relax and when to have ya help (of course, not too much - but just enough  ;)).

I like helping my boyfriend out with those things. He tends to like taking over the cooking duties and I do help, but I can see he enjoys it as well, so sometimes I'll back off.

Yeah, he's a good guy. I think I'll keep him.  ;)  In fact, right now, he is cooking dinner. So I will go and keep him company. It is the least I can do.  ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/30/06 at 6:50 pm

Yeah, he's a good guy. I think I'll keep him.  ;)  In fact, right now, he is cooking dinner. So I will go and keep him company. It is the least I can do.  ;D

Cat

;D OKay, good luck :0)

Written By: Abix on 04/30/06 at 11:54 pm

I'm a collector by nature, and my hobbies include Photography , Movies ( I have over 2000 movies) , Music ( I have over 600 CDs  and 1000's of songs downloaded ) , Reading (I love just about anything) , Baseball cards. I also love to while away the hours on the computer  just browsing wherever my little brain takes me. And  chatting with my friend on the messenger.

Written By: nally on 04/30/06 at 11:56 pm

I'm a collector by nature, and my hobbies include Photography , Movies ( I have over 2000 movies) , Music ( I have over 600 CDs  and 1000's of songs downloaded ) , Reading (I love just about anything) , Baseball cards. I also love to while away the hours on the computer  just browsing wherever my little brain takes me. And  chatting with my friend on the messenger.

Baseball cards are a long-time hobby of mine, too! :) 8) I have over 6,000 of those.

Written By: Abix on 04/30/06 at 11:59 pm

Baseball cards are a long-time hobby of mine, too! :) 8) I have over 6,000 of those.

I tried to focus on just the Minnesota Twins, and it's a relatively new hobby, but I have some choice cards.

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 12:00 am

I tried to focus on just the Minnesota Twins, and it's a relatively new hobby, but I have some choice cards.

Cool. 8) I have some team sets of Los Angeles Dodgers, but I have always tried to get complete sets of certain years whenever possible. And between 1987 and 1993 I have complete sets of Topps cards, except for 1992 (which i still need 15 to complete).

Written By: Abix on 05/01/06 at 12:03 am

Cool. 8) I have some team sets of Los Angeles Dodgers, but I have always tried to get complete sets of certain years whenever possible. And between 1987 and 1993 I have complete sets of Topps cards, except for 1992 (which i still need 15 to complete).

I do have a Roger Clemens patch card, an Albert Pujols card and a Derek Jeter Bobblehead :P

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 12:05 am

I do have a Roger Clemens patch card, an Albert Pujols card and a Derek Jeter Bobblehead :P

I don't have a bobblehead of anybody...nor do I have many cards of "current" players. However, I do have a Derek Jeter rookie card; I even have the Topps Gold version of it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 12:09 am

I have many baseball cards from the early-mid '90s, I used to collect 'em. I wonder if I have anything that's worth something, probably not.

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 12:13 am

Most of the baseball cards I have are from the late 80's and early 90's; however, cards from any year are welcome into my collection. :) Many of them are probably not worth a great deal, but I always keep them protected in albums, so that they will be worth more money as time goes on.

Written By: Abix on 05/01/06 at 12:17 am

I don't have a bobblehead of anybody...nor do I have many cards of "current" players. However, I do have a Derek Jeter rookie card; I even have the Topps Gold version of it.

I have two Johan Santana Bobbleheads, and 6 rookie cards of Santana's , one is signed. 2 are graded.  I also have a signed baseball from Johan Santana .  As well I have an actual photograph of Joe Mauer, Johan Santana, and Carlos Silva at Joe Mauer's house and they are all in street clothes. In another photo , also at Joe Mauer's house, Santana is holding his Cy Young award.
And my most prized possessions (or I should say my husband's most prized possessions) are actual 11x14 black and white photographs of Babe Ruth , taken by my husband's grandmother, back in 1923 during and exhibition game in Tacoma , WA. We have these photos framed. There are 3 of them. It's too bad they aren't signed.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 12:20 am

I got loads of old Hockey and Baseball cards from 1990 through 1992

Probably the only one I have that's worth money is a Pro Set Ray Borque error card from 1991.  Notice the missing U from his name

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 12:21 am

I have two Johan Santana Bobbleheads, and 6 rookie cards of Santana's , one is signed. 2 are graded.  I also have a signed baseball from Johan Santana .  As well I have an actual photograph of Joe Mauer, Johan Santana, and Carlos Silva at Joe Mauer's house and they are all in street clothes. In another photo , also at Joe Mauer's house, Santana is holding his Cy Young award.
And my most prized possessions (or I should say my husband's most prized possessions) are actual 11x14 black and white photographs of Babe Ruth , taken by my husband's grandmother, back in 1923 during and exhibition game in Tacoma , WA. We have these photos framed. There are 3 of them. It's too bad they aren't signed.

Wow. Sounds like you got quite a collection there. 8) It's getting kinda late here; I really need to go to bed soon. Nice chatting with ya. ;) Have a good night.

Written By: nally on 05/11/07 at 11:42 pm

And so, a year later, I do have some "current" baseball cards (692, to be exact). My entire collection now has over 7,000 cards. :)

Written By: La Roche on 05/14/07 at 12:26 am

Hobbies? Like.. stuff we do.. or stuff we collect.

I collect tickets from places I go to.. or trips I take. I dunno if that would count as collecting or not, I just save them. Airline stubs, tickets from ballgames, concerts, places I've been to.. I have envelopes stuffed full of them.

Written By: spaceace on 05/14/07 at 6:27 am

I collect political memorabilia.  I also DJ sometimes.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/14/07 at 7:02 am

Computer games
Board Games
Reading
Collecting DVD's.  Dont necessarily watch them.
Collecting Hard Rock shot glasses and postcards from places I visit.
Camping, anything that has to do with mountains and nature really.
Amusement Parks  (mainly faster roller coasters).
Collecting sand from different beaches.  However, I have a problem with giving the sand to people.  Im left with black sand from Iwo Jima.  But I guess that beats them all.
Pretending I know how to play the guitar.  (Well, I can do two coords I think)

Check for new replies or respond here...