inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Melody vs. Assault - The Battle of Taste

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:37 am

I have a theory that there are two types of musical taste - I'm not counting teenybopper boy band "taste", I'm speaking about people that are truly passionate about music.

Assault is the more "juvenile" taste - this includes heavy metal, hardcore techno, punk, some modern rock, most mainstream rap, along with many other genres.  Its appeal comes from its sonic quality of head-banging and/or getting the crap beaten out of you, and also from explicit, dark, or angry lyrics.  It has relatively little melody, it's sonic appeal is in the "hardness" or controversy.

The second taste is melody, the more "mature" taste.  This includes most pop, a lot of classic rock, new wave, classical music, R&B, jazz, country (dare I say it), soft rock, some hip hop, along with many, many other styles.  Its appeal comes from its melody, often from the "hook", or its danceability, rather than from its breathtaking violence.

Subject: Re: Melody vs. Assault - The Battle of Taste

Written By: Gis on 04/27/06 at 11:39 am

Hmm judging by your lists I'm a schitzophrenic then!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:45 am

I have a theory that there are two types of musical taste - I'm not counting teenybopper boy band "taste", I'm speaking about people that are truly passionate about music.

Assault is the more "juvenile" taste - this includes heavy metal, hardcore techno, punk, some modern rock, most mainstream rap, along with many other genres.  Its appeal comes from its sonic quality of head-banging and/or getting the crap beaten out of you, and also from explicit, dark, or angry lyrics.  It has relatively little melody, it's sonic appeal is in the "hardness" or controversy.

The second taste is melody, the more "mature" taste.  This includes most pop, a lot of classic rock, new wave, classical music, R&B, jazz, country (dare I say it), soft rock, some hip hop, along with many, many other styles.  Its appeal comes from its melody, often from the "hook", or its danceability, rather than from its breathtaking violence.

I've always been a sucker for melody...even as a youngster, I disdained anything that had melody, but over the years, I think I've actually begun to appareciate less melodious music, which may be good in others ways (rythm, arrangement.etc), whereas before if anything wasn't melodic it was automatically crap. I think a 'mature' taste in music, if there is such a thing, is being able to appreciate ALL aspects of a piece: an ear for music is like an eye for art. Though art (all sorts) is subjective, I believe there are such things as 'base' and more 'cultured' tastes...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:47 am

I've always been a sucker for melody...even as a youngster, I disdained anything that had melody, but over the years, I think I've actually begun to appareciate less melodious music, which may be good in others ways (rythm, arrangement.etc), whereas before if anything wasn't melodic it was automatically crap. I think a 'mature' taste in music, if there is such a thing, is being able to appreciate ALL aspects of a piece: an ear for music is like an eye for art. Though art (all sorts) is subjective, I believe there are such things as 'base' and more 'cultured' tastes...

I agree. I'm a sucker for two things: melody and rhythm.  By rhythm, I mean something you can dance, or at least bop your head to.  I find that today's hip hop tends to be lacking in both.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 11:53 am

I agree. I'm a sucker for two things: melody and rhythm.  By rhythm, I mean something you can dance, or at least bop your head to.  I find that today's hip hop tends to be lacking in both.

Alot of punk and nu-metal was actually quite melodic...compared to 'real' 70s garage punk in the vein of the Sex Pistols, which are plain grating...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 11:54 am

Alot of punk and nu-metal was actually quite melodic...compared to 'real' 70s garage punk in the vein of the Sex Pistols, which are plain grating...

Nu metal is actually very melodic ... and rhythmic ... in many cases.  Personally I think nu metal is a pretty underrated genre.  It's more the post-grunge I find mundane.

Written By: lorac614 on 04/27/06 at 1:26 pm

Hmm judging by your lists I'm a schitzophrenic then!

I thought the same about myself!  LOL!

Written By: CeeKay on 04/27/06 at 1:34 pm

I agree. I'm a sucker for two things: melody and rhythm.  By rhythm, I mean something you can dance, or at least bop your head to.   I find that today's hip hop tends to be lacking in both.

Melody, rhythm and I like to be able to hear the lyrics.  I love well written lyrics.  Even when I was a teenager, I couldn't handle that heavy metal sound.

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/06 at 2:14 pm

To me, this whole thread sounds like it's just trying to toot someone's horn.. they can go "OMIGAWD LOOK AT ME! I'M MATURE CAUSE I LIKE THIS BAND!".

Did it ever occur to you that some people just like the high energy and semi-chaotic nature of some of this music? Not everyone who likes dark lyrics is just going for controversy or emphasis.. I just happen to have a thing for darker lyrics.

Some people like the "primal" nature of metal or techno... those beats speak to the animal lying in wait inside every person. Others prefer the brutal honesty of these genres.. They like a band that doesn't play around, saying "Oooh, we better change this song, I like the message, but where's the synth solo, dammit? Where?".. to them, this sort of unrestrained "hard" music speak volumes to them more then a pop song with a catchy melody.

A lot of my music is melodic, but not danceable. I don't think that just because you prefer a tune over the raw reality of a song, you're any more mature or different then someone who's willing to compromise a catchy little tune for what seems more like real feeling to them.

I agree, these are two fairly large types of music.. but you're getting waaaaaay too general, and classifying a lot of people unfairly.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 2:30 pm

To me, this whole thread sounds like it's just trying to toot someone's horn.. they can go "OMIGAWD LOOK AT ME! I'M MATURE CAUSE I LIKE THIS BAND!".

Did it ever occur to you that some people just like the high energy and semi-chaotic nature of some of this music? Not everyone who likes dark lyrics is just going for controversy or emphasis.. I just happen to have a thing for darker lyrics.

Some people like the "primal" nature of metal or techno... those beats speak to the animal lying in wait inside every person. Others prefer the brutal honesty of these genres.. They like a band that doesn't play around, saying "Oooh, we better change this song, I like the message, but where's the synth solo, dammit? Where?".. to them, this sort of unrestrained "hard" music speak volumes to them more then a pop song with a catchy melody.

A lot of my music is melodic, but not danceable. I don't think that just because you prefer a tune over the raw reality of a song, you're any more mature or different then someone who's willing to compromise a catchy little tune for what seems more like real feeling to them.

I agree, these are two fairly large types of music.. but you're getting waaaaaay too general, and classifying a lot of people unfairly.

Well, "mature" and "juvenile" I guess are pretty judgmental terms ... I don't actually think one taste is better than the other, necessarily, I just think these are the two basic tastes music aficionados tend to have.

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/06 at 2:34 pm

Well, "mature" and "juvenile" I guess are pretty judgmental terms ... I don't actually think one taste is better than the other, necessarily, I just think these are the two basic tastes music aficionados tend to have.

I think a better way of putting it would be in three:

1. Musical.. more about the backing.. the chord progressions, the sounds of the instruments.. this is a lot of Rock, Punk, etc.
2. Melodic... focused on melody.. not so much instruments.. things like Pop, Synth Pop, Indie, etc.
3. Lyrical... combines with the other two.. centered on lyrics.. this includes things like poetry read over music (Captain Beefheart), Hip Hop, EMO (though it usally just sounds cool, doesn't mean anything)

That's still waaaaay too general, but it's less judgemental and a little less narrow.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 2:36 pm

1. Musical.. more about the backing.. the chord progressions, the sounds of the instruments.. this is a lot of Rock, Punk, etc.
2. Melodic... focused on melody.. not so much instruments.. things like Pop, Synth Pop, Indie, etc.
3. Lyrical... combines with the other two.. centered on lyrics.. this includes things like poetry read over music (Captain Beefheart), Hip Hop, EMO (though it usally just sounds cool, doesn't mean anything)

That's still waaaaay too general, but it's less judgemental and a little less narrow.

That makes sense.  Lyrics are in a sense not even musical, vocals are musical, but not the meanings of the words.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/27/06 at 2:37 pm

Yea that makes sense.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/27/06 at 2:38 pm

Judging by those lists, I fall squarely into the second category.

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/06 at 3:05 pm

That makes sense.  Lyrics are in a sense not even musical, vocals are musical, but not the meanings of the words.

True, lyrics are technically not musical, but they're a part of music. And for some people, it's the biggest part. For some people, it's the actual voice itself.. but I put that under Melodic.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 3:17 pm

True, lyrics are technically not musical, but they're a part of music. And for some people, it's the biggest part. For some people, it's the actual voice itself.. but I put that under Melodic.

Vocals serve two purposes ... to deliver lyrics, and to act as an instrument.  To some people, music is almost all about the lyrics.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/27/06 at 5:37 pm

I have always thought I was a sucker for melody, myself. But then, some people have to also consider people who like melody yet seem to be stuck in "one" kind of melodical style of music. Some people I know only like swing music, which after awhile can get rather boring and just starts sounding like a variation on a theme. The same can sometimes go for jazz.

I have been listening to classical music seriously since I was 10 years old. I bought my first two classical records in 1992 and have been adding consistantly ever since. My classical collection outweighs any other collection I have. I have always been searching for great melodic pieces, even if you can only hear the melody in the slightest strain.

Classical music is a great place to start listening to very faint melodies and to pick them out, maybe focusing on one piece at a time and then determining if it's monophonic, polyphonic, or homophonic.

Written By: YWN on 04/27/06 at 7:15 pm

No.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/27/06 at 7:16 pm

No... You can like both

Does this mean I'm both immature and mature!?

I love electronic music, techno, whatever... But I've heard melodic techno... I've heard melodic heavy metal. I'm sorry, Donnie, but your views are sort of... flawed.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/27/06 at 7:22 pm

Enough of the categorizing.....if music is your thing, enjoy it regardless of how you react to it.

Friggin' hipsters drive me crazy!!  ::)  :P

Written By: Apricot on 04/27/06 at 7:23 pm

Friggin' hipsters drive me crazy!!  ::)  :P

You know what drives me crazy? Hearing about hipsters all the time.. and how apparently everyone who remotely enjoys Bright Eyes is a hipster.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/27/06 at 7:27 pm

You know what drives me crazy? Hearing about hipsters all the time.. and how apparently everyone who remotely enjoys Bright Eyes is a hipster.

hahahaha right...I haven't the foggiest clue who they are.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/27/06 at 7:39 pm

As Tanya said...

Who cares how good they are if you like them!?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 7:44 pm

hahahaha right...I haven't the foggiest clue who they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster

I have a feeling some of our members have had a hand in this article...

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/27/06 at 7:45 pm

AHEHEHEM

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/27/06 at 7:46 pm

:O Sammy David, Jr.!!!

Yup, that sounds like Doonie Darko!  ::)

Wait, it gets closer!!! Ella FRITZGERALD!!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/27/06 at 8:04 pm

Actually, I've looked at that article but I don't recall having a hand in it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 8:35 pm

Personally, I like melodies which are slightly melancholic, contemplative, wistful, yet with a positive note: mix that with a folkly flavour and I'm in heaven. That's why I like Nick Drake so much. If not that, I like melodies which are really uplifting, multi-faceted, unpredictable...I used to under-estimate lyrics, but now I actually listen to them, and it adds to my experience of hearing a song not only as a piece of music, but a complete expression.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/27/06 at 9:26 pm

Enough of the categorizing.....if music is your thing, enjoy it regardless of how you react to it.

I agree. This categorization is maddening and serves little purpose. It detracts from the overall musical experience.

Written By: La Roche on 04/27/06 at 10:30 pm

Jesus tapdancing Christ!

Ok, let me explain this.

Melody is an important part of the process of composing any piece of music. Even when dealing with blast beats and constant time signature and tempo changes, you are still essentially writing your music around a key melody structure.

As a writer and composer of numerous different pieces of music, I like to believe I have at least a basic grasp of what goes in the composition process.

When one is writing any piece of music, the first idea is essentially a beat. Can you nod your head along to it, when, at every fourth note, on every sixth? What kind of speed am I going to play this part at?
When will this part fade out and the double bass kick in? Etc Etc Etc.

What people seem to misunderstand is Melody does not specifically mean "What The Beatles did."
I'm going to shock you all to your very core. The Beatles suck. I'm sorry.. but they do.
They came around at the perfect time, with a decent sound and rode a wave. In terms of how good the music was, The Rolling Stones are so far superior to The Beatles it's not funny.
I digress.
We could discuss Burzum, Primus, Chicago or Stixx. It really makes no difference, when creating a piece of music, basic melodic elements are always part of the framework.

The concept of Assault is something I'm more than familiar with.
I make, play and listen to music that hurts.
Literally, my objective when sitting down and putting together a piece of music is to make people angry, aggresive, violent and passionate. That's the basic concept behind it.
That being said...
This dosen't mean no thought goes in to it.

A point was raised regarding vocals.
In my opinion, any piece of music is a story.
You shouldn't need lyrics to tell the story. The lyrics lay it all out and make it obvious, but if you remove them, you should still be able to go on a more primal emotional voyage.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/28/06 at 12:49 am

I agree with Tanya and some others, sometimes over anaylizing this stuff can really take the fun out of the experience - but maybe because I do look at music in a more structured sense, I can't help but pick out tempo changes, melodies that go from minor to major and back around again to a different tonic. It's just my musical upbringing. And if we all have our ways of listening to it, I guess that's just the way it is.. we can't turn back time, but we can always continue learning about it.

Check for new replies or respond here...