inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Urban Legends

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 9:07 am

What are some famous urban legends that you have heard?  Which ones interest you the most?  Do you think any of them could actually be true?

Subject: Re: Urban Legends

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/29/06 at 9:39 am

I'm still not completely sure what an urban legend is.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/29/06 at 10:51 am

What are some famous urban legends that you have heard?  Which ones interest you the most?  Do you think any of them could actually be true?

I can't believe this is the only thing I can think of right now but .....

They say there's alligators living in the sewers under New York City....  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/06 at 11:38 am

My favourite Urban Legend is that it was TV Presenter Bob Holness, Host of Blockbusters, played the saxophone on Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/29/06 at 11:44 am

One that I always heard is the one where if you drop a penny off the Empire State Building, you'll kill someone.

Written By: whistledog on 04/29/06 at 2:00 pm

One that I always heard is the one where if you drop a penny off the Empire State Building, you'll kill someone.

You'd probably injure someone real bad though if you did that

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/29/06 at 2:03 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/29/06 at 2:07 pm

If you swallow watermellon seeds, a watermellon will grow in your stomach.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 2:59 pm

what about the idea that there are really Bigfoot creatures (Sasquatch) on the earth? Do you guys believe in them or do you think that they are false?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/06 at 3:02 pm

They proved you can't drop a penny off the Empire State Building at all.  There's ledges that jut out that would catch anything you tried to throw off.  Then they set it up under the circumstances that there are no ledges at all and if you threw a penny off, it would go straight down to the street.  The combination of wind pushing down and wind pushing up would keep it from gaining any significant acceleration before hitting the ground.
Are there barriers and netting at the top of the Empire State Building?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/29/06 at 3:07 pm

Are there barriers and netting at the top of the Empire State Building?

There's a railing that goes around, but no nets to my knowledge.  However, as I said, there are ledges that jut out (around the 88th floor) that will catch anything someone were to try and throw off anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/06 at 3:12 pm

There's a railing that goes around, but no nets to my knowledge.  However, as I said, there are ledges that jut out (around the 88th floor) that will catch anything someone were to try and throw off anyway.

http://www.sportsci.com/personal/the_dream-10-09-03/Empire_State_Building-10-11-03/images/Empire-State-Building-4.jpg

The image shows several ledges, so it all depends at which part of the Empire State Building the penny is thrown.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/06 at 3:12 pm

My favorite urban legend is the one about Rod Stewart and one of the soccer teams back in England.  Where he had to get his stomach pumped. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 3:15 pm

My favorite urban legend is the one about Rod Stewart and one of the soccer teams back in England.  Where he had to get his stomach pumped. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

I remember when New Kids on the Block were popular....the same sort of rumor came out about them at the time too!! LOL! ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/29/06 at 3:15 pm

http://www.sportsci.com/personal/the_dream-10-09-03/Empire_State_Building-10-11-03/images/Empire-State-Building-4.jpg

The image shows several ledges, so it all depends at which part of the Empire State Building the penny is thrown.

Right, but as I stated, they tested the myth as if the building had no ledges, and the combination of air pushing up and air pushing down kept the penny from achieving any real significant speed.

Written By: gemini on 04/29/06 at 3:45 pm

How about the one where they say you can see someone hanging in the background in the Wizard Of Oz movie.  I read two different stories on this, one says it's a crew member who got in the way and was running off camera, and the other says it's a bird flapping. I don't know, but it looks like someone hanging to me.  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 3:47 pm

How about the one where they say you can see someone hanging in the background in the Wizard Of Oz movie.  I read two different stories on this, one says it's a crew member who got in the way and was running off camera, and the other says it's a bird flapping. I don't know, but it looks like someone hanging to me.  :-\\

oh yea, that's right...I do remember this one.  I've heard both of the stores, but I wonder which one is right?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/06 at 3:50 pm

In the trivia section of The Wizard Of Oz on IMDB:

"At the beginning of the "We're off to see the wizard" sequence, there is a disturbance in the trees off to the right. This was long rumored to be one of the crew (or, by some accounts, one of the dwarf actors) committing suicide by hanging himself, but it is in fact a large bird stretching its wings."

Written By: gemini on 04/29/06 at 4:03 pm

In the trivia section of The Wizard Of Oz on IMDB:

"At the beginning of the "We're off to see the wizard" sequence, there is a disturbance in the trees off to the right. This was long rumored to be one of the crew (or, by some accounts, one of the dwarf actors) committing suicide by hanging himself, but it is in fact a large bird stretching its wings."

So, another legend debunked.

Written By: Morton on 04/29/06 at 4:03 pm

I've just watched a clip of that piece on Snopes.com (which also features a full explanation of what actually happens), and I have to say i'm not convinced by the hanging rumour. It looks exactly like a bird spreading it's wings to me. Besides, as Snopes states. With so many people working on production of the film, I doubt the scene in question would have went un-noticed if it had happened

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/06 at 4:12 pm

I've just watched a clip of that piece on Snopes.com (which also features a full explanation of what actually happens), and I have to say i'm not convinced by the hanging rumour. It looks exactly like a bird spreading it's wings to me. Besides, as Snopes states. With so many people working on production of the film, I doubt the scene in question would have went un-noticed if it had happened
The clip appeared small on my screen, where is the eagle in the picture?

Written By: Morton on 04/29/06 at 4:20 pm

The clip appeared small on my screen, where is the eagle in the picture?

Right in the middle, straight ahead of where dorothy and the other characters are walking towards

Truth be told, i'm more interested in the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz sync... very creepy  :o

I wonder if Pink Floyd actually wrote that album whilst watching Wizard of Oz?! http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/dsotr.htm

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/06 at 4:22 pm

Right in the middle, straight ahead of where dorothy and the other characters are walking towards

Truth be told, i'm more interested in the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz sync... very creepy  :o

I wonder if Pink Floyd actually wrote that album whilst watching Wizard of Oz?! http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/dsotr.htm
Thanks

For myself, I have never put the two to the test.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/29/06 at 7:05 pm

I have been meaning to try that out but never have.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/29/06 at 7:46 pm

what about the idea that there are really Bigfoot creatures (Sasquatch) on the earth? Do you guys believe in them or do you think that they are false?

Yanno.. there's probably SOME creature that has big feet like that... maybe not even a separate species, but there could be some animal out there doing it, but I don't believe in the generally conceived appearance of "bigfoot"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 8:05 pm

Yanno.. there's probably SOME creature that has big feet like that... maybe not even a separate species, but there could be some animal out there doing it, but I don't believe in the generally conceived appearance of "bigfoot"

my two uncles (when they were young boys) claimed that they saw a "bigfoot" in the woods near their house...but who knows if they were telling the truth or not.  They claim they found footprints and then they saw this "creature" sitting by a tree, eating berries or something.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/29/06 at 8:15 pm

my two uncles (when they were young boys) claimed that they saw a "bigfoot" in the woods near their house...but who knows if they were telling the truth or not.  They claim they found footprints and then they saw this "creature" sitting by a tree, eating berries or something.

A bear?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 8:16 pm

A bear?

no, they specifically said that it was not a bear....apparently the way they described it, it sounded like they saw something that appeared to be a "bigfoot" creature.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/29/06 at 8:25 pm

no, they specifically said that it was not a bear....apparently the way they described it, it sounded like they saw something that appeared to be a "bigfoot" creature.

A man with a hair growing disorder wearing foot shaped flip-flops?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 8:30 pm

A man with a hair growing disorder wearing foot shaped flip-flops?

hahaha..that one deserved an applause!!! ;) ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/29/06 at 8:41 pm

hahaha..that one deserved an applause!!! ;) ;D

Gracias, me amiga... Y uno para tu tambien.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 9:07 pm

Gracias, me amiga... Y uno para tu tambien.

gracias!! ;)

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/30/06 at 1:00 am

Girlfriends.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 1:09 am

They proved you can't drop a penny off the Empire State Building at all.  There's ledges that jut out that would catch anything you tried to throw off.  Then they set it up under the circumstances that there are no ledges at all and if you threw a penny off, it would go straight down to the street.  The combination of wind pushing down and wind pushing up would keep it from gaining any significant acceleration before hitting the ground.

Not an urban legend, but apparently there is a true story of a woman who tried to commit suicide by jumping off the Empire State Building, but as she fell was lifted up by a draught of wind in mid-air and carried onto the ledge above!

Written By: Abix on 05/05/06 at 2:05 pm

I like the scarier Urban Legends, such as the Achille's Tendon Slasher- (the depraved killer would render you incapacitated by hiding under your car or bed and slash your Achille's Tendon as you approached.)
Or the Chloroform /Perfume rapist- (the said rapist approaches some unsuspecting female in a parking lot of a mall and will ask her if she'd like to smell the newest scent of pefume sample that's being given out in the mall... and when she goes to smell it, it's chloroform and renders her unconscious)
Or last but not least, The scary man who follows the woman home in a car, flashing his lights at her, the whole way, only to get spooked and go to a police station to find out that there's a man in the backseat of her car with a switchblade. The guy in the car was trying to warn her.
Oh yes, I just thought of one more.. How bout the one where  if you flash your brights at an oncoming car it's a 'gang sign' and they'll turn around and come shoot you. 
I think most of these were  depicted in the movies Urban Legends /the sequel.

Written By: La Roche on 05/05/06 at 2:09 pm

Or the Chloroform /Perfume rapist- (the said rapist approaches some unsuspecting female in a parking lot of a mall and will ask her if she'd like to smell the newest scent of pefume sample that's being given out in the mall... and when she goes to smell it, it's chloroform and renders her unconscious)

Can't believe I never thought of this.

Marvelous idea.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/05/06 at 2:52 pm

I like the scarier Urban Legends, such as the Achille's Tendon Slasher- (the depraved killer would render you incapacitated by hiding under your car or bed and slash your Achille's Tendon as you approached.)
Or last but not least, The scary man who follows the woman home in a car, flashing his lights at her, the whole way, only to get spooked and go to a police station to find out that there's a man in the backseat of her car with a switchblade. The guy in the car was trying to warn her.
Oh yes, I just thought of one more.. How bout the one where  if you flash your brights at an oncoming car it's a 'gang sign' and they'll turn around and come shoot you. 
I think most of these were  depicted in the movies Urban Legends /the sequel.

yes, those are all good ones.  Here are the "Hottest 25 Urban Legends" according to Snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/info/top25uls.asp

Written By: Apricot on 05/05/06 at 3:03 pm

I like the one where the teenage girls go to the water park... they show up real early, and they see a guy coming out.. he says "There was a spot of a problem, but it's better now. If I were you, I'd go on the BIG water slide before the lines get too long!"..

Then they get on... and don't get off alive. The people inspecting the park find razors imbedded on the surface of the slide with chewing gum.

I do love that one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/05/06 at 3:05 pm

I like the one where the teenage girls go to the water park... they show up real early, and they see a guy coming out.. he says "There was a spot of a problem, but it's better now. If I were you, I'd go on the BIG water slide before the lines get too long!"..

Then they get on... and don't get off alive. The people inspecting the park find razors imbedded on the surface of the slide with chewing gum.

I do love that one.

wow, I never heard that one before...that's a bit creepy! :o

Written By: Apricot on 05/05/06 at 3:09 pm

wow, I never heard that one before...that's a bit creepy! :o

Ah, I got a ton of 'em.. I have a book of them somewhere, if I can dig it up, there's a whole section of creepy ones.

I also like the one where people put needles in McDonald's Playlands and stuff.. then, there's a note attached to the syringe that says "Congratulations! Your child now has AIDS!"... it's just so.. scary, because it could happen.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/05/06 at 3:10 pm

Ah, I got a ton of 'em.. I have a book of them somewhere, if I can dig it up, there's a whole section of creepy ones.

I also like the one where people put needles in McDonald's Playlands and stuff.. then, there's a note attached to the syringe that says "Congratulations! Your child now has AIDS!"... it's just so.. scary, because it could happen.

WOW! That is beyond creepy...but like you said, it could very well happen. :( :-\\

Written By: Apricot on 05/05/06 at 3:12 pm

WOW! That is beyond creepy...but like you said, it could very well happen. :( :-\\

Man, I gotta find that book.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/05/06 at 3:12 pm

Man, I gotta find that book.

ya, I like reading about stuff like that too, it's interesting.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/05/06 at 4:43 pm

I've been a big urban legends aficionado at times...they're produced by social fears at various times. At one time there was one near me about an Arabic man trying to poison Halloween candy, because an Arabic man bought several thousand dollars worth of candy at various Costcos. I think he owned a store of some kind...there's also one about a midget town near me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 11:03 pm

McDonalds seems to be a big target for peddlers of Urban Legends...first rumours about the 'special space' in their burgers, then the worms in the mince and now this and a hundred others.

Written By: Apricot on 05/05/06 at 11:06 pm

McDonalds seems to be a big target for peddlers of Urban Legends...first rumours about the 'special space' in their burgers, then the worms in the mince and now this and a hundred others.

I love the "lysergic acid in the fries" one.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/06/06 at 5:32 pm

Not an urban legend, but apparently there is a true story of a woman who tried to commit suicide by jumping off the Empire State Building, but as she fell was lifted up by a draught of wind in mid-air and carried onto the ledge above!

I believe it is a requirement that all urban legends begin like this:  "This is not an urban legend but...."  :D

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/06 at 5:46 pm

I can tell you a few but the big one for me is the one where a woman is trying to sleep in the same room as her room mate and she hears scuffling in the dark so she gets her room mate to investigate. The girl hears footsteps come into the room, so she is quite relaxed and falls asleep . . .

The next morning, she opens the curtains and in the natural light there written all over the walls in blood is the message;

"AREN'T YOU GLAD YOU DIDN'T TURN ON THE LIGHT?"

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:55 am

I'm sure many of these 'Urban legends' do come true...Psychos here about them, and think 'that's a good idea' and go ahead and actually do them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/07/06 at 7:31 am

Of course  my favorited "urban legend" is one that actually happened.

In 1982, a Mr. Larry Walters, now immortalized as Lawn Chair Larry inadvisably decided to tie about 45 helium weather balloons to a lawn chair.  He sat in the chair, strapped himelf in, and then cut loose his tether.  He had also attached milk jugs filled with water, to serve as ballast, and a pellet gun with which he could shoot out some balloons if he had too much lift.

He also was wearing a parachute.  Probably a good idea.

Accounts at the time said that "he immediately shot up like a rocket".  He was spotted at about 16,000 feet  :o  by the pilot of a commercial airliner, as he had drifted into one of the approach lanes to LAX airport.  ;D

He eventually "landed" entangled in high voltage power lines, and his flight set an unofficial altitude record for manned flight using gas-filled clustered balloons.

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters.asp

Written By: CeeKay on 05/07/06 at 8:37 am

Of course  my favorited "urban legend" is one that actually happened.

In 1982, a Mr. Larry Walters, now immortalized as Lawn Chair Larry inadvisably decided to tie about 45 helium weather balloons to a lawn chair.  He sat in the chair, strapped himelf in, and then cut loose his tether.  He had also attached milk jugs filled with water, to serve as ballast, and a pellet gun with which he could shoot out some balloons if he had too much lift.

Loved Lawn Chair Larry!  Didn't know he was the stuff of legend though. 

Written By: KKay on 05/07/06 at 9:15 am

I love the story of the guy pulled over for drunk driving...
at the instant the cop gets him out to "walk the line", there is a accident across the road; the cop goes to assist and the drunk
gets in and drives home.

Hours later, a knock at his door. It's the cop, there to arrest him.  He's driven the cop car home instead of his own vehicle.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/03/07 at 1:44 pm

Back in the 70's there was a rumor going around about how, at this pool in Lincoln that had this "Olympic-size" diving platform that was "three stories tall," some big fat guy did a belly flop off the high board and his "gut splatted open" when he hit the water.

Years later I asked some of my older friends in Lincoln if they'd ever heard that one and they said they remembered hearing about it.  I looked for it on Snopes but I never saw anything about it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/07 at 4:10 pm

LSD is a volatile compound.  Apart from the fact that it would dilute and dissolve in the frying oils, the extreme temperature would also destroy the psychoactive properties.

There was recurring paranoia in the '60s and '70s about psychedelic terrorists dosing municipal water supplies with LSD.  Any chemist would tell you even 100 gallons of liquid LSD poured into water mains would dissipate too fast for any unsuspecting water-drinker to get high.
A lot of urban legends carry on this way because those who hear the legend don't ask simple questions. 

Another LSD rumor is about the rock musician who thinks he's an orange.  Pick any rocker with a rep, from Syd Barrett to Gibby Haynes, and the rumor has circulated that: "He overdosed on LSD and now he thinks he's an orange and he won't let anybody near him because he's afraid they'll try to peel him." (alternative: "they'll try to juice him").

I have never seen a verifiable case in the annals of psychology of a mentally ill person perpetually believing he is an inanimate object.
The effects of LSD abuse, even after massive doses and chronic inebriation, do not include persistent delusions of such absurd magnitude. 

Another LSD urban legend popular in the '60s and '70s told of college students who went blind after staring at the sun for eight hours wile on acid.  Apart from the stories never including a specific doctor or hospital, the effects of LSD do not interrupt your nervous system's reflexive reactions.  Even if a person used poor judgment during LSD inebriation and stared at the sun, nervous response to the eye irritation would signal him to stop.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/07 at 6:29 pm

I dunno about lysergic acid in the fries, but a buddy of mine once claimed to have added his own "special sauce" to the tartar sauce at the local Burger Chef.

No wonder Burger Chef went out of business.  :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/03/07 at 9:26 pm

Stepping on cracks and lines on the sidewalk probably counts, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 9:39 pm

Stepping on cracks and lines on the sidewalk probably counts, lol.

hahaha, yes..we were always told that. Now Vaughn always steps on cracks and goes, "hahaha..I'm breaking my mother's back!" :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/03/07 at 9:47 pm

hahaha, yes..we were always told that. Now Vaughn always steps on cracks and goes, "hahaha..I'm breaking my mother's back!" :D ;D

That's cute lol. I wonder how it originated though. Stuff like that just seems so out of left field, it's hard to believe it was based in truth. It does make a good rhyme, though. One of the lyrics in "Whip It" even quotes that. ;)

BTW, another one I like is Groundhog Day (which the movie got me into). I always did wonder if groundhog Phil seeing his shadow had any effect on Winter.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 9:52 pm

That's cute lol. I wonder how it originated though. Stuff like that just seems so out of left field, it's hard to believe it was based in truth. It does make a good rhyme, though. One of the lyrics in "Whip It" even quotes that. ;)

BTW, another one I like is Groundhog Day (which the movie got me into). I always did wonder if groundhog Phil seeing his shadow had any effect on Winter.

yes, I wonder where they come up with half of these "old wive's tales" or so to speak. Oh, concerning the Groundhog Phil thing...that's a big thing around here (Punxsutawney isn't too far from where I live..and the people around here take that very serious! LOL!). :D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/03/07 at 9:54 pm

yes, I wonder where they come up with half of these "old wive's tales" or so to speak. Oh, concerning the Groundhog Phil thing...that's a big thing around here (Punxsutawney isn't too far from where I live..and the people around here take that very serious! LOL!). :D ;D

Oh cool, yeah I just thought of that after I posted, but I remembered you're pretty close to there. Was the movie's account of the way things occur close to how it really is (not counting Bill Murray's Phil and stuff like that of course, lol)? After I saw that movie, I always wanted to see the town, just for curiosity's sake.

Speaking of that, wasn't that Ned Ryerson guy funny, albeit in an obnoxious way? ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 9:59 pm

Oh cool, yeah I just thought of that after I posted, but I remembered you're pretty close to there. Was the movie's account of the way things occur close to how it really is (not counting Bill Murray's Phil and stuff like that of course, lol)? After I saw that movie, I always wanted to see the town, just for curiosity's sake.

Speaking of that, wasn't that Ned Ryerson guy funny, albeit in an obnoxious way? ;D

Honestly, I haven't seen that movie in such a long time...I don't remember. I'll have to watch it again to see. Personally, I've never been to the town, or during the Phil festivities...but my sister's ex boyfriend and his family have made it a yearly tradition to attend the ceremonies! ;D

Written By: Tam on 09/03/07 at 11:13 pm

I used to be one of the people who believed that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre happened about 30+ miles from where I live. Turns out itdidn't happen there at all. The movie (1974) say it was inspired by a true story. The true story being that of Ed Gein, a Wisconsin farmer who robbed graves, engaged in necrophilia and cannibalism, and murdered at least 2 women in the 50's - one found decaptitated and disembowelled!

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/chainsaw.asp

At the bottom there are also links to the case file on Gein and all the relevant information!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/07 at 6:01 am

I used to be one of the people who believed that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre happened about 30+ miles from where I live. Turns out itdidn't happen there at all. The movie (1974) say it was inspired by a true story. The true story being that of Ed Gein, a Wisconsin farmer who robbed graves, engaged in necrophilia and cannibalism, and murdered at least 2 women in the 50's - one found decaptitated and disembowelled!

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/chainsaw.asp

At the bottom there are also links to the case file on Gein and all the relevant information!
I would not want to live there.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/23/07 at 9:51 am

LSD is a volatile compound.  Apart from the fact that it would dilute and dissolve in the frying oils, the extreme temperature would also destroy the psychoactive properties.

There was recurring paranoia in the '60s and '70s about psychedelic terrorists dosing municipal water supplies with LSD.  Any chemist would tell you even 100 gallons of liquid LSD poured into water mains would dissipate too fast for any unsuspecting water-drinker to get high.
A lot of urban legends carry on this way because those who hear the legend don't ask simple questions. 

Another LSD rumor is about the rock musician who thinks he's an orange.  Pick any rocker with a rep, from Syd Barrett to Gibby Haynes, and the rumor has circulated that: "He overdosed on LSD and now he thinks he's an orange and he won't let anybody near him because he's afraid they'll try to peel him." (alternative: "they'll try to juice him").

I have never seen a verifiable case in the annals of psychology of a mentally ill person perpetually believing he is an inanimate object.
The effects of LSD abuse, even after massive doses and chronic inebriation, do not include persistent delusions of such absurd magnitude. 

Another LSD urban legend popular in the '60s and '70s told of college students who went blind after staring at the sun for eight hours wile on acid.  Apart from the stories never including a specific doctor or hospital, the effects of LSD do not interrupt your nervous system's reflexive reactions.  Even if a person used poor judgment during LSD inebriation and stared at the sun, nervous response to the eye irritation would signal him to stop.

I don't think the sun can permanently make one blind, anyway.

This one kid at my school claims to have taken 'shrooms, and he was afraid to move because he thought he was a pitcher of orange juice that would spill... But somehow I don't believe that. I think the main reason these legends live on is just because they're interesting, and people like to be interested.

Check for new replies or respond here...