inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What a wonderful day in my neighborhood... it's burning down today!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/06 at 3:41 pm

If you live in the Boston area, and get channel 7, turn it on and you can see the woods down the street from me on fire.

Subject: Re: What a wonderful day in my neighborhood... it's burning down today!

Written By: Apricot on 05/01/06 at 4:00 pm

Any word on what caused it?

Subject: Re: What a wonderful day in my neighborhood... it's burning down today!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/01/06 at 4:00 pm

If you live in the Boston area, and get channel 7, turn it on and you can see the woods down the street from me on fire.
that's terrible. Are you being evacuated?  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/06 at 4:13 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Chucky. Please stay safe. We wouldn't know what to do with you. And please keep us informed.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/06 at 4:21 pm

Any word on what caused it?

They said it started near the train tracks.  The area I live in is somewhat rural, one of the few spots in town that is still rural, so it's mostly the dry ground cover that's burning.  One house burned down already, it was an abandoned mansion (which had lots of stories told about it when I was a kid).  They were supposed to tear it down years ago anyways to build some low-income housing.

I haven't been told to evacuate, but the houses closest to the fire have been already.  It's about 1 mile away if you go straight through the woods.  I'm pretty sure they can keep it contained to that area, but the wind is pretty heavy today, so you never know.  I freaked out the wife a little by telling her to think about what we want to pack up incase we do need to leave.  I came home early today because I wanted to finish up sanding my deck, but I've stopped working on it for now.  I'm going to spend the night organizing my office and making sure I have anything important located in a couple folders I can easily pack up.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/06 at 5:06 pm

Well now they say it's 85% contained and that they think the origin of the fire was "suspicious".  They're already offering a reward of $5000 for information that results in the conviction of someone.

I can at least rest a little easier knowing it's unlikely to make it all the way up the hill

Written By: gemini on 05/01/06 at 5:10 pm

That's a shame if someone started the fire intentionally. What's up with people anymore? Glad to hear it's under control.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/06 at 5:15 pm

That's a shame if someone started the fire intentionally. What's up with people anymore? Glad to hear it's under control.

They mention on the news that kids are known to hang out there, yet the fire began before school got out.  I think it's rather lame if they have to trot out that old chestnut for blame when it's unlikely that kids had anything to do with it.  Unless of course they were skipping school. Truant they'll all cry!

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 6:13 pm

It's probably arson from some punk kids messing around.  That always seems to be the case with massive fires breaking out  >:(

Glad to hear the fire is under control

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 7:40 pm

glad to hear that you and your family are safe!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/06 at 7:59 pm

Even though it was a mile away, the air still smells of smoke, and I could even see a bit when I looked down the road before the sun set.

My grandmother tells me they used to have brush fires in the 1930s due to the train tracks.  One year it burned the woods behind the house almost up to the back steps.  She would go up in the woods with a pail of water in the middle of the night looking for glowing embers in tree trunks to make sure the fire wouldn't re-occur.  Even a couple weeks after the fire, there were still trunks with live embers in them.

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 10:27 pm

Wow...I just clicked on this and read the replies. :o Glad you're okay, Chuck.

I have never been to the east coast...but here in California, I live within 100 miles of mountains, which are susceptible to wildfires; in fact, the Santa Susana Mountains (which separate Ventura County from Los Angeles County) experienced a wildfire at the end of last September...and just two years before that, they experienced a series of wildfires during the last week of October. I live near the ocean, but I could still smell the smoke; by Halloween it was a lot less noticeable.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/06 at 5:36 am

I watched this on the news yesterday, it didn't look good.  The same thing happened around here, I also live
in a rural part of my city, most people don't even realize that this section is here it is so tucked away.  Kids
were smoking and it has been so dry the it doesn't take much to set the leaves going.  I have a plan in case things get awry, too.  What scares me is if something happens and I'm not home.  Important papers can be saved, but there is so much else that can be lost.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/02/06 at 6:16 am

I watched this on the news yesterday, it didn't look good.  The same thing happened around here, I also live
in a rural part of my city, most people don't even realize that this section is here it is so tucked away.  Kids
were smoking and it has been so dry the it doesn't take much to set the leaves going.  I have a plan in case things get awry, too.  What scares me is if something happens and I'm not home.  Important papers can be saved, but there is so much else that can be lost.

My uncle lives on the street where the fires took place and was a lot closer than me.  I heard that once he was home, they wouldn't let him leave.  I guess they wanted to make sure they knew where everyone was incase they needed to make an evacuation.

The good news is that the weather forecasters were wrong again.  At first they said it would rain, then they said it looked like it wouldn't.  It's raining now, so I'm sure the brush fires won't be much of an issue (at least for a few days).

Written By: CeeKay on 05/02/06 at 9:29 am

My uncle lives on the street where the fires took place and was a lot closer than me.  I heard that once he was home, they wouldn't let him leave.  I guess they wanted to make sure they knew where everyone was incase they needed to make an evacuation.

The good news is that the weather forecasters were wrong again.  At first they said it would rain, then they said it looked like it wouldn't.  It's raining now, so I'm sure the brush fires won't be much of an issue (at least for a few days).

Thank goodness for that.  I'm glad things have settled down there.  Let's hope it keeps raining for awhile.

Check for new replies or respond here...