inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dating: The Best & the Worst

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 11:50 am

Tell your best and, more importantly, the worst dating stories here.

Subject: Re: Dating: The Best & the Worst

Written By: KKay on 05/03/06 at 12:47 pm

The best story:
Going to a surprise location for New Year's Eve...and it's a huge ballroom, Chris Isaak playing, get his autograph and talk to him, have a great dinner and dance and at midnight little gold and silver stars fall from the ceiling.
A week later, I'm given a heart locket and inside are two of the stars from the party.

(everyone: awwwwwwwwww)

Worst story: Go to the movies- he gets in a fight with the little kids in front of us, hits one.  During movie, he shouts out really really stupid jokes about the film.  After movie, we go to a bar/restaurant and he says he only has enough money to get food and two beers and he's really really hungry so do I mind if he just gets himself dinner?  Then, I drive him home and as he's getting out, pull away really fast and go home.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 12:53 pm

Worst story: Go to the movies- he gets in a fight with the little kids in front of us, hits one.  During movie, he shouts out really really stupid jokes about the film.  After movie, we go to a bar/restaurant and he says he only has enough money to get food and two beers and he's really really hungry so do I mind if he just gets himself dinner?  Then, I drive him home and as he's getting out, pull away really fast and go home.

Ah, but those are the ones you remember...unless it was really terrible, you can probably look back and laugh and say, 'wow, i really had some bad ones.' lol

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 1:07 pm

The best story:
Going to a surprise location for New Year's Eve...and it's a huge ballroom, Chris Isaak playing, get his autograph and talk to him, have a great dinner and dance and at midnight little gold and silver stars fall from the ceiling.
A week later, I'm given a heart locket and inside are two of the stars from the party.

(everyone: awwwwwwwwww)

I remember that story.  Very, very good!  :)

I never heard this one before -- that's toooo much.  Hope it wasn't anyone I know  ???

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 2:03 pm

Best:  The first e-mail says, "Can you be free from october 10-12?"  The second e-mail is from Orbitz confirming flight reservations to New Mexico with a note saying "see you there."  Every step of the weekend was a surprise.  That one would be hard to beat.

Worst:  I don't recall an actual really bad date but I very much recall being invited to an MTV invitation-only New Year's Eve bash approx 1983 and then being stood up.  Ouch.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 2:41 pm

Worst date I was ever on was a couple of years ago.  I had agreed to go on a blind date (yeah, I know) while my friend went with her boyfriend.  I was told the guy was funny and smart and a good guy, so I was looking forward to it. 

The guy was loud, brash, profane and after making some lewd overtures toward me during the date had the audacity to ask if we were going to have sex later when he dropped me off at home.  I told him to go f*ck himself and he said that was my job. 

Then I kicked him the balls and went inside.  Never did hear from him again, gee......what a pity.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/03/06 at 3:57 pm

Worst:

I met a guy through friends and he seemed nice, he asked me out I said yes.  He came to pick me up a half
hour late, said he was sorry, he had put a new stereo system in his car.  When I went to roll up the window
he said sorry, it was broken, when he was cleaning out the car he had, by mistake, thrown a can of beer out
of the window without realizing the window was still up and it shattered the window. Since he was late, we
didn't have time to go to dinner and the show, I suggested a later show, he said we could do both, and went
through drive-thru McDonalds(I didn't order!).  We went to the show and he fell asleep( mouth open, snoring)
about 10 minutes into it.  After the movie I just told him to take me home.  When we get there he turns for an
open mouth good night kiss, YUK, that didn't happen, I just got out and said bye.

Best:

A guy that I had liked for absolute decades asked me to go to Brimfield Flea Market, which is one of the biggest ones in the country.  It was a beautiful summer day,  we looked at a lot of stuff, he bought me a
figurine I liked, we took the country road home, stopped for dinner on the way.  We are still together  :)

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 4:19 pm

Best:

A guy that I had liked for absolute decades asked me to go to Brimfield Flea Market, which is one of the biggest ones in the country.  It was a beautiful summer day,  we looked at a lot of stuff, he bought me a
figurine I liked, we took the country road home, stopped for dinner on the way.  We are still together   :)

Yeah!  Happy Story!  :)

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 4:25 pm

Worst:

I met a guy through friends and he seemed nice, he asked me out I said yes.  He came to pick me up a half
hour late, said he was sorry, he had put a new stereo system in his car.  When I went to roll up the window
he said sorry, it was broken, when he was cleaning out the car he had, by mistake, thrown a can of beer out
of the window without realizing the window was still up and it shattered the window. Since he was late, we
didn't have time to go to dinner and the show, I suggested a later show, he said we could do both, and went
through drive-thru McDonalds(I didn't order!).  We went to the show and he fell asleep( mouth open, snoring)
about 10 minutes into it.  After the movie I just told him to take me home.  When we get there he turns for an
open mouth good night kiss, YUK, that didn't happen, I just got out and said bye.

Oh my gosh.  How awful.  And this reminds me of a terrible date experience.  A friend wanted to go out with this guy, but he had promised to meet a colleague for drinks so she asked me to come with to make it a double date.  The guy seemed nice.  We all had a drink and then went to this very nice restaurant in Manhattan for dinner & drinks.  At some point I excused myself to go to the restroom.  The guy followed me in there!  Talk about bad dates!  I said something like "What the hell are you doing!?"  Pushed past him, walked directly to our table and said, "Take me home, now."  That was the end of that night.  Ew.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/03/06 at 5:23 pm

At some point I excused myself to go to the restroom.  The guy followed me in there!  Talk about bad dates!  I said something like "What the hell are you doing!?"  Pushed past him, walked directly to our table and said, "Take me home, now."  That was the end of that night.  Ew.

I can't even imagine what that must have been about  :o

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 5:45 pm

I can't even imagine what that must have been about  :o

I don't know either -- and I wasn't about to wait around and find out!  ???

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 8:18 pm

I hate these threads.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/03/06 at 9:59 pm

Alex...    Have you ever tried to ask someone out?

Written By: La Roche on 05/03/06 at 10:08 pm

Worst:

Took a girl called Jessica out.
She was actually quite nice, I got along well with her, the obvious gropeing at the back of the movie theatre etc..
Anyway, I suggested we go for a drink.
What I didn't realise was that she was the biggest lightweight.. ever.
After keeping pace with me for about an hour and a half, she could only just stand.

Anyway, walking her (carrying her) home. She managed to bang her head on something and came up with a rather extraordinary gash.

My laughing didn't help.

I didn't see her again.

Best:

It has nothing to do with who I took.

I went to my buddy's housewarming party when he moved in with his fiancee and took a girl I worked with.
I have no idea what she did but I had a great time  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 10:49 pm

Alex...    Have you ever tried to ask someone out?

My freshman year of high school... this one girl, like ten times.  It was so frustrating..

Since then I asked one to the Prom my senior year, and she already had plans. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/03/06 at 10:55 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 11:12 pm

I'm scared to now.  Funny because I wasn't before.  I had no problem asking out that girl my freshman year over and over but now- forget about it! 

I guess I'm jaded.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 11:18 pm

Funny thing about the one my freshman year, Jackie..

I was so persistent I was actually called into the principal's office, with her. The principal told me I needed to stop asking her out, that I had asked her before more than once and said no and I needed to respect that.  I plead my case I told the principal I really, really liked her and I thought we should go out and she said she understood but I needed to respect her space. 

It hurt so bad.  I really liked her from the start, and we seemed to get along.  But she just wouldn't go out with me.  It was so frustrating because I didn't just think she was good looking or something I thought she was cool and I liked her but she just didn't reciprocate at all- I couldn't understand it.  I thought she was in my league.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 11:20 pm

In Journalism I used to sit close to her when she was working at the computer, and we'd talk.  God it drove me crazy. :(

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 11:24 pm

Best:

It has nothing to do with who I took.

I went to my buddy's housewarming party when he moved in with his fiancee and took a girl I worked with.
I have no idea what she did but I had a great time  ;D

Very funny!  ;D  Glad to know a date can be great fun no matter who you're with as long as you go someplace cool.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 11:29 pm

I remember the first girl I dated, no wait I don't because she said no and the rest is history.  A lonely 4 years...  Life is so stupid.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 11:33 pm

Sometimes I wish I could wake up and it was 5 years ago.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 11:34 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 11:36 pm

I wish I had one worse than the story I told before.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 11:39 pm

Sorry you're having such a tough time with the dating thing.  :-\\ 

Life isn't fair I suppose.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 11:39 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/03/06 at 11:40 pm

Or maybe it is.  After all, I'm just a basket case.

I know you'll get that confidence and I know you'll meet a super-cool chick.

I hope you're right.  Thanks.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/04/06 at 9:04 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/04/06 at 10:32 am

If your goal in life is "fairness", you are desinted to misery.  There will always be someone with more than you or someone better at something than you...and there will always be someone with less or someone who can't do things as good as you can.  Fairness isn't the issue.

If you have a good attitude, do your best at what you do, treat people with kindness and generosity and respect....you will have a good life and good things will come your way.  And when the tough times come, you'll be better able to manage through and you will have the support of good friends.  I know that sounds corny  :D  but I believe it's true.  Everyone has good and bad times, luck and tragedy in their lives.  The only difference is attitude and, perhaps, where you choose to place your faith.

I just wish I was like my best friend.  The girls love him.  I remember he had his first girlfriend in the 6th grade. 

Last summer I was hanging out with him, and we got on the subject of chicks.  He told me all sorts of different stories, parties, dates, and yeah, sex stories too.  Finally he asked me what about myself and I was so embaressed.  I told him that I was a virgin and he said "yeah but you've had girlfriends and stuff right?" and I had to tell him no; that I'd never even kissed a girl before.  He seemed genuinely surprised and he said "i really thought you would have".  I just wanted to die. 

I'm afraid hes lost some sort of respect for me.  He lives up in Dallas and me and my uncle went to visit him a few times last fall(see hes my second cousin), and each time I went he didn't seem very interested in hanging with me.  Even worse, on a Saturday I was there and he left the house at like 11 am to go spend time with his girlfriend and I didn't see him the rest of the time I was there(we left about 5).  Not surprsingly I've disliked every girlfriend hes had.

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 12:29 pm

Very funny!  ;D  Glad to know a date can be great fun no matter who you're with as long as you go someplace cool.

Not sure what happened to her.

I slept (passed out) in their living room, she wasn't there the next afternoon so I guess she made her on way home.. I neglected to ask seeing as we didin't see each other often at work.

(Me traveling about, her in office).

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/04/06 at 1:26 pm

Aren't you just special

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/06 at 1:39 pm

Worst Date - A girl I had known for a while decided to ask me out for a 'casual' date. She seemed very nice, and we had a great dinner. Later we went to her friend's house to 'party' some. I thought perhaps music, maybe some alcohol would be there (we were both over 21). Turns out her idea of partying involved enough cocaine to give Michael Jackson a nose job a day for 10 years. She came extremely close to ODing, and then close to being arrested because she puked on their floor and someone called the cops. Needless to say, that date sucked, especially since I had to call my sister at 4am for a ride home - the date drove that night (not after inhaling 20% of Columbia's GNP) and slept in her car.

Best Date - I don't have any really great dating stories, at least, none that are appropriate for this board.  ;) 

Written By: KKay on 05/04/06 at 1:48 pm

The great date that wasn't:

I went to a movie and then for dessert and coffee with a friend (I was getting a vibe that he liked me though) and we talked and laughed and it wouldhave been THE PERFECT DATE (but it was not a date) It was like in a stupid romantic comedy, but still...perfect.  We talked to the old italian guy in the pastry shop, it began to rain...by the book.
HOWEVER, I was already engaged- and I was not interested- but it would have been a perfect date.
I thought "wow this is great! he's so much fun to hang out with!!! Can't wait to do this again!"

We only talked one other time since then-  Hope he's somewhere on a really good date.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/04/06 at 2:26 pm

I wish I had a best and worst.  None of my dates have been bad or good enough to consider them the best/worst....they've all been pretty "middle of the road" :-\\

Same here.  ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/06 at 10:51 pm

I really didn't date all that much, and the ones that I had in the past were not that bad that I have a story to tell.  One of the best was this past January, for our 2nd anniversary, Chris took me to Pittsburgh to see, "Phantom of the Opera"...even though I had seen it twice already (but had to see it ONE more time), and he doesn't necessarily love the theater....but he knew I loved it (by the way, he ended up really enjoying it, and he wants to take me back next year for another play).

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/06 at 10:58 pm

I've had nothing but bad luck with dating.  Most of the girls I met on-line through dating sites.  Here are the two worst dates I ever had ...

One girl I met on-line told me she had a kid.  I was OK with that, but when I met her, she neglected to tell me one important detail ... her kid ... was still in her stomach, and was due in a matter of days :o
She wanted me to be a sugar daddy, so I got up, walked away and never saw her again

One other girl I met seemed nice.  Then when I met her, she popped the question :o 
Basically, as the story goes ... her ex-boyfriend was in jail, and was going to be released within the next few months.  Since I answered her ad, she wanted me to marry her, so I could protect her.  I got so terrified, I actually terminated the e-mail address that I had at the time

Written By: CeeKay on 05/05/06 at 12:09 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Gis on 05/05/06 at 8:04 am

Worst:

Took a girl called Jessica out.
She was actually quite nice, I got along well with her, the obvious gropeing at the back of the movie theatre etc..
Anyway, I suggested we go for a drink.
What I didn't realise was that she was the biggest lightweight.. ever.
After keeping pace with me for about an hour and a half, she could only just stand.

Anyway, walking her (carrying her) home. She managed to bang her head on something and came up with a rather extraordinary gash.

My laughing didn't help.

I didn't see her again.

Are you surprised !  ::)

Written By: karen on 05/05/06 at 8:10 am

I wish I had a best and worst.  None of my dates have been bad or good enough to consider them the best/worst....they've all been pretty "middle of the road" :-\\

Me too.  I've had dates that haven't worked out but nothing cringeworthy has happened that I can remember.  It's all too long ago now!

Written By: La Roche on 05/05/06 at 8:17 am

Are you surprised !  ::)

Nope, still laugh about it though.

Written By: Gis on 05/05/06 at 8:18 am

Hmm, worst is probably the one I've told before where I went out with a guy who was a drummer. He said we were going to a gig which was fine.As it turned out he had lent his drumkit to the band we went to see, when we got there he spent most of the night talking drums with the band and then when it was over told me he was taking his drumkit home in the car so there wouldn't be room for me, and he wasn't going to waste petrol making two journeys so could I find my own way home !?! He was surprised when I wouldn't go out with him again...........

There have been a few 'bests' all with my fiance, like going to see The Mighty Boosh' or last anniversary was lovely too. I know pass the sick bucket.  :P 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/05/06 at 8:24 am

[quote author=

Check for new replies or respond here...