inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Verizon DSL or Comcast...

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 7:51 pm

I am looking to get rid of dial-up. It's too slow and not reliable.Which system
will be better, Verizon DSL or Comcast? Right now I am paying $14 for a
phone line and $19.99 for compuserve, which I hate.To be truthful, I am
computer stupid and need help. Any suggestions?

Subject: Re: Verizon DSL or Comcast...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/06/06 at 7:54 pm

We're using BellSouth DSL, because well......we have BellSouth phone service and it made more sense.

However, I have heard great things about Comcast DSL, so you should definitely check that one out. 

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 7:59 pm

We're using BellSouth DSL, because well......we have BellSouth phone service and it made more sense.

However, I have heard great things about Comcast DSL, so you should definitely check that one out. 

This was my reasoning for Verizon, my house phone and cell phone are both Verizon so
it seemed to make sense. On the other hand, My cable TV system is Comcast.
What a dilemma!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/06/06 at 8:04 pm

This was my reasoning for Verizon, my house phone and cell phone are both Verizon so
it seemed to make sense. On the other hand, My cable TV system is Comcast.
What a dilemma!

We use Comcast for cable as well.  I would look into using it for your DSL, though.  Everything I've read/heard about it makes it sound like the best choice.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/06/06 at 8:53 pm

I have Verizon for my cell phone.  Qwest for my phone. JComcast for cable tv.  I was going to use one of the phone companies for my internet but apparently I live in the wrong neighborhood and they don't have service here yet.

So I got Comcast.  And I can't complain.  Their customer service has been good and they helped me get going even when I bought my own modem instead of using theirs.  I wish I could do everything w/one provider though...so I could bundle and save more money.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 9:06 pm

I have Verizon for my cell phone.  Qwest for my phone. JComcast for cable tv.  I was going to use one of the phone companies for my internet but apparently I live in the wrong neighborhood and they don't have service here yet.

So I got Comcast.  And I can't complain.  Their customer service has been good and they helped me get going even when I bought my own modem instead of using theirs.  I wish I could do everything w/one provider though...so I could bundle and save more money.

Is Comcast expensive? Right now they are offering service for $24.99 a month. I
know this is only a start up price. What I want to know is, what's their regular price
and is it worth it?

Written By: CeeKay on 05/06/06 at 9:26 pm

Is Comcast expensive? Right now they are offering service for $24.99 a month. I
know this is only a start up price. What I want to know is, what's their regular price
and is it worth it?

Geez...I think it's about $40 for cable.  That's kind of expensive for me.  But I've got a network now so we have three computers on-line with high speed for that amount which is pretty good I figure.  It  might be a little more if you don't have cable.  I think you save a few bucks if you have comcast cable too.  (And I have no idea if prices vary depending on what state you're in).

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/06/06 at 9:44 pm

Cable is easily faster than DSL in most cases, but you usually can get a better deal on DSL. It depends on what your needs are. Whatever you get it will be 1000000 times better than dial up.

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/06 at 9:53 pm

I use Comcast m'self... almost everyone gets a faulty modem, but they'll fix it.. then it's great.

My friend has DSL.. he says it's fine. Depends on if you wanna pirate music.. if you do, get Cable.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 9:54 pm

Geez...I think it's about $40 for cable.  That's kind of expensive for me.  But I've got a network now so we have three computers on-line with high speed for that amount which is pretty good I figure.  It  might be a little more if you don't have cable.  I think you save a few bucks if you have comcast cable too.  (And I have no idea if prices vary depending on what state you're in).

I do have Comcast digital cable and that cost me $91.15 a month. I just don't want
an outrageous cable bill if it isn't going to be much better. Right now I am paying
about $35 for the phone line and the service so $40 isn't a stretch but what am I
in for? So far I have two recommendations for Comcast, I am still a bit apprehensive
but I have to do something.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/06/06 at 9:57 pm

I am looking to get rid of dial-up. It's too slow and not reliable.Which system
will be better, Verizon DSL or Comcast? Right now I am paying $14 for a
phone line and $19.99 for compuserve, which I hate.To be truthful, I am
computer stupid and need help. Any suggestions?

I have both... comcast is a LITTLE bit more expensive, but it's MUCH MUCH faster...

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/06 at 10:00 pm

I have both... comcast is a LITTLE bit more expensive, but it's MUCH MUCH faster...

Really? I thought Comcast was a company exclusive to this region..

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 10:03 pm

Thank You all for your suggestions. One question though, what is with the modem?
Do I have To use their equipment?

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/06/06 at 10:03 pm

Really? I thought Comcast was a company exclusive to this region..

I think it's international... maybe even in other countries...  :o

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/06/06 at 10:03 pm

Thank You all for your suggestions. One question though, what is with the modem?

Huh? I kow that for both DSL and Comcast, you just need a few cables and a modem box thing...

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/06/06 at 10:06 pm

You have to use their modem, broadband uses a special modem, usually external.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 10:10 pm

Huh? I kow that for both DSL and Comcast, you just need a few cables and a modem box thing...

They will adapt my computer to the new service? Like I have said, I already have
Comcast cable TV so the added cable for the computer shouldn't be to difficult.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/06/06 at 10:13 pm

They will adapt my computer to the new service? Like I have said, I already have

Not really adapt... just a simple cable that will fit in your computer easily

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/06/06 at 10:31 pm

Your CPU should already have a ethernet cable hole, and that's where you'd attach the cable to the modem.  At least, that's how it works on both my desktop and my laptop.

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/06 at 10:33 pm

A modem is pretty much just a small, usually blue, box with 4-5 lights on it... lights on=internet on... lights flashing=internet off... lights not on=modem unplugged.

As far as I know, you have to use the modem of your people.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 10:39 pm

I wasn't even thinking about changing until I became involved on this site.
I found, the more people on the boards the slower my response from
thread to thread. Even in the arcade, sometimes when I click on a game
I get kicked off and have to sign on again. Other times the screen in the
game moves slow, I know this is affecting the score.I guess, inthe00s is
an addiction,I want more and I want it faster.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 10:45 pm

Your CPU should already have a ethernet cable hole, and that's where you'd attach the cable to the modem.  At least, that's how it works on both my desktop and my laptop.

A modem is pretty much just a small, usually blue, box with 4-5 lights on it... lights on=internet on... lights flashing=internet off... lights not on=modem unplugged.

As far as I know, you have to use the modem of your people.

Basically, it's not much of a hassle to switch. I just have to deal with lights or an added cable

Written By: whistledog on 05/06/06 at 10:49 pm

DSL sucks.  It is High Speed Access, but it comes through a phone line.  I had it once, and I don't know if it's the same for all services, but each time I wanted to use the internet, I still had to sign-in and wait for it to dial to the provider, which is the exact same as dial-up, only DSL is a bit faster, but not by much I found

Broadband is the best way to go.  It comes in through a cable modem, and there is no sign-ins required.  Just dbl click your internet icon, and boom ... instant internet access, no sign-ups, no useless menu screens (like what AOL has), just nothing but net O0

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/06/06 at 10:51 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/06 at 10:53 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/06/06 at 10:53 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/06/06 at 10:58 pm

DSL is broadband too, with the old DSL you used to have to sign on (not actually make a call, but enter your password and click log in), but the newer DSL modems log in automatically so you don't have to do this. Cable is a lot faster though, if you download a lot of music and movies, then you probably want cable.

I guess I had one of the old DSL modems lol

Cable is definately the way to go.  It costs a bit more than DSL, but it is so worth it.  You can download movies and music 100 times faster, and it's so fast, webpages load up before you can click to visit them.  Well, maybe not that last one ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/06/06 at 11:01 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: loki 13 on 05/06/06 at 11:05 pm

I don't download music but my son does. he is the one really pushing for the change.
I told him I would asked the knowledgeable people of the 00s. again I thank you all
for your input.It seems like cable is the way to go.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/06/06 at 11:06 pm

I don't download music but my son does. he is the one really pushing for the change.
I told him I would asked the knowledgeable people of the 00s. again I thank you all

Anything to help.  :)    Let us know how it all works out!

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/06 at 11:09 pm

Indeed. Good luck with it, then.

Check for new replies or respond here...