inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your Baby Book

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/10/06 at 1:39 am

Did any of you have a baby book that your parents made prior to your birth and added things as the years went on?

I had one that still has a pressed flower in it from the day some family brought flowers to my mom on the day of my birth - nearing 24 years ago this May 21st.

It's fun to look back at how my mother described me in her womb and the first few months I was a baby.

Subject: Re: Your Baby Book

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/10/06 at 1:42 am

I'm lucky to have any pics of me when I was little, but I believe my wife did start a book for our daughter and I need to ask her about it and maybe locate it and see what is in it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/10/06 at 1:44 am

I had a book with some pictures from the hospital and some early pictures of me, but like a lot of my pictures and stuff it probably got wet and moldy from our old basement and ruined. Most of my old pictures are so badly destroyed it's sad, but I've been able to salvage a few though and even attempt reconstruction on the computer, it takes a lot of time though.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/10/06 at 1:45 am

I'm lucky to have any pics of me when I was little, but I believe my wife did start a book for our daughter and I need to ask her about it and maybe locate it and see what is in it.

Yeah, it's really hard to keep track of a lot of that stuff. I am lucky my mom did that for my brother and I. My grandmother on my father's side actually made a little book for my Dad when he was born in 1949, and it's neat how she describes some of his first noticed traits and other things like that.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/10/06 at 1:46 am

I had a book with some pictures from the hospital and some early pictures of me, but like a lot of my pictures and stuff it probably got wet and moldy from our old basement and ruined. Most of my old pictures are so badly destroyed it's sad, but I've been able to salvage a few though and even attempt reconstruction on the computer, it takes a lot of time though.

Ohh, that's so sad what happened to your pictures, Brian  :\'(

I've been trying to salvage old negatives because I have a scanner that can scan negatives into photographs and that has been extremely helpful. Some negatives are too damaged though and they have bright pink blocks across the image which are nearly impossible to recover.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/06 at 1:52 am

When I was born my parents were far to busy to organise anything like this.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/10/06 at 3:57 am

When I was born my parents were far to busy to organise anything like this.

That's because they were awaiting the birth of the great, masterful, magnificent Philip Eno.  A most special event indeed.  :)

Written By: karen on 05/10/06 at 4:01 am

I had a scrap book as a child and the first few pages contained the birth congratulations cards my parents received.  Then some from my first birthday and so on.  Not sure what happened to that book.

I had grand plans of doing something similar for my two.  The youngest is now four and there is no sign of me startiung it any time soon!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/10/06 at 6:36 am

There's nothing as elaborate as a baby book here, though have one or two b/w snaps I'll post when I dig them out.

Just spotted I have the little gold bangle on my dad bought me in this pic.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/P1pp1s/Julesastiny.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/10/06 at 7:26 am

Yes, my sisters and I all have baby books.  I even have a lock of hair from when I was a baby in there, along with pictures, my baby bracelet from the hospital, birthday party momentos...my mom was always good about stuff like that! :)

Written By: CeeKay on 05/10/06 at 9:13 am

I have one....I'll dig it out and see if there's a photo.  I know there's a yellowing-crumbly piece of paper in there -- a picture of a spider that I drew when I was four or something.

I tried to do them for my kids....got the first two years of the first child.  Once the others came along, forget it.  Goodbye baby books.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/06 at 10:41 am

Never had one. I was #6 so by the time my parents had me, it was, "Oh, another kid.  ::) " But, I did manage to get my birth announcement-both the one that my parents sent out to people (complete with my very first picture) and the one in the newspaper. I think I got both of them from my grandmother who kept them.

Cat

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/10/06 at 1:18 pm

Yes, my sisters and I all have baby books.  I even have a lock of hair from when I was a baby in there, along with pictures, my baby bracelet from the hospital, birthday party momentos...my mom was always good about stuff like that! :)

Mine's not finished. I guess they got tired of keeping them, by the time the third child came along. :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/10/06 at 1:21 pm

Nope, unfortunately my mom didn't keep anything like that...

She did, however, keep my first pair of baby booties... :D

Written By: Howard on 05/10/06 at 4:21 pm

There's nothing as elaborate as a baby book here, though have one or two b/w snaps I'll post when I dig them out.

Just spotted I have the little gold bangle on my dad bought me in this pic.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/P1pp1s/Julesastiny.jpg

You're such a pretty girl,Babooshka. :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/13/06 at 6:06 am

I still have my original baby book.

Mum wrote that my first sentences were:

"daddy lost the baby" whenever my dad got in the car to drive away without me

"daddy gone to gink at the pub" if anyone asked me where he was !!!!!!

And my first real hospital visit was at aged 4 when my 2 year old brother gave me ant poison to drink !!!!! I was in intensive care for a week.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/13/06 at 7:17 am

We have alot of my baby pictures, but we still have to organize them into an album, they're all in boxes. There's one album we made for my great-grandmother who was senile, with big capital letters saying "AMY'S BABY" on every page.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/13/06 at 8:53 pm

Do I even have one!?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...