inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dependent OR Independent?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/15/06 at 5:25 pm

I'm more of the dependent type...

I don't think I'd do too well if I were by myself!  ???

Subject: Re: Dependent OR Independent?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 5:28 pm

I call myself independent But, it doesn't take too long before I start wanting some human contact besides my own

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/06 at 5:29 pm

On the whole I am independent . . . or at least I strive to be.  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/15/06 at 5:33 pm

I don't know.  Probably a mixture of both.  I have streaks where I need to be around other people and then I have streaks where I need to be alone.  There isn't one dominant attitude/thought.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/06 at 5:34 pm

I'm independent even though I still live with My Parents

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/06 at 6:00 pm

I'm a bit of both. After living alone for 6 years, I got pretty set in my ways. Now, I can't imagine not being with Carlos. Yes, I depend of him (maybe a bit too much) but he doesn't seem to mind. He also lets me be me.

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 05/15/06 at 6:02 pm

I'm rather Independent, but I do enjoy human company (a few choice humans) from time to time.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/15/06 at 6:08 pm

Independent.

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/06 at 6:22 pm

I think that a person can be independent or dependent in different ways. For example a person may be independent when it comes to self-preservation but dependent on human company. Or a man may be socially independent but financially depends on somebody else (I've seen this happen before).

Written By: CeeKay on 05/15/06 at 6:38 pm

I think that a person can be independent or dependent in different ways. For example a person may be independent when it comes to self-preservation but dependent on human company. Or a man may be socially independent but financially depends on somebody else (I've seen this happen before).

Yeah.  I was going to say this.  I think I'm pretty independent -- but I don't think that has anything to do with whether or not I like to be alone or with people.  I think dependency has to do with what you require from others...whether or not you spend personal time with them.  If I didn't work, I'd be financially dependent on whoever paid my bills -- whether that would be the government or a parent or whoever.  But I wouldn't necessarily be spending time with the government or my parents.  Yeah...what Bobby said.

Written By: KKay on 05/15/06 at 7:00 pm

i am extremely independent in everything...but i can't deny i seriously need attention, affirmation...can't be the center of attention ifyou're alone, now can you? :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/06 at 8:01 pm

I would say a mixture of both.  I love having my husband to lean on whenever I am worried, etc...but I do have a mind of my own, and I don't like it messed with. ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 7:35 am

I'm independent even though I still live with My Parents

Aha...another similarity to Robert Baronne!  ;D

sorry Howie, I'll stop beating that horse...(for now, at least)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 7:37 am

Fiercely independent...so independent, I'm about to declare myself a republic!  :D :D :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/16/06 at 11:39 am

Hmmm...so far it looks like I'm the only 'dependent' one here... :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/06 at 11:42 am

We all are dependent to some extent. I used to be VERY dependent but unfortunately, I depended on the wrong people-so I learned to be more independent. But, I still find myself dependent on things that I shouldn't be. Oh, well.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/16/06 at 4:40 pm

Aha...another similarity to Robert Baronne!  ;D

sorry Howie, I'll stop beating that horse...(for now, at least)

I've been living with My Parents for 32 years now.

Written By: Bobby on 05/16/06 at 4:57 pm

If it's any consolation to you, Karen. I don't believe anyone is one way or the other. As well as what I just said about being independent/dependent in certain areas, I don't believe we are one or the other as a fixed part of our personality.

For example, I am normally an independent person but last year I left my ex (long story) and I was feeling vulnerable as a result of everybody and everything I knew had gone. My security was gone too (which was something I knew was going to happen) and I needed to depend on people emotionally because the people that were in my life had gone.

Now I have got used to my own situation and feeling more 'comfortable in my own skin' so to speak. The independence that I once lost has returned after a lot of hardwork conditioning myself to be that way.

Written By: Paul on 05/16/06 at 4:59 pm

Independent (if you don't count the cat!), but not isolated (which is good...)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/16/06 at 8:20 pm

Well, I'm dependent when it comes to finances.  Since I don't work, it would be rather hard to be anything BUT.  On the other hand, my hubby travels so much for work, I'm becoming more and more independent since I'm usually the only adult here and my kids depend on me :)

Written By: Morton on 05/17/06 at 1:50 am

Well, I make my own money and buy my own things, and have had to since I got my first paper-round 4 years ago. I like knowing that the money I have in my account is mine and mine only. But I also still live at home with my mam, so I guess i'm a mixture

Written By: mandamoo on 05/18/06 at 9:01 am

Mostly independent  :)

Written By: Stompgal on 05/19/06 at 5:39 am

I'm independent because I do a lot of things by myself such as getting the bus to my classes in the week and doing my own jobs in the house.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/19/06 at 6:55 am

I also find this a tad hard to believe, Karen.

I will join you  ;)

"Dependent"

Written By: Tam on 06/01/06 at 1:41 pm

I am independent - not because I want to be but more because I have to be.
Being a military spouse sucks sometimes!

Written By: Howard on 06/01/06 at 3:20 pm

Dependent

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/06 at 7:36 pm

I've been living with My Parents for 32 years now.

My brother has been living with our Mum for 52 years.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/01/06 at 11:39 pm

I guess I'm both, I depend on my hubby financially since I'm a stay at home mom, but also very independent since my husband goes out-of-town a lot and I don't have family close by.

Written By: jackas on 06/02/06 at 2:41 pm

Since I don't work I am dependent on my husband, but aside from that, I am very independent.

I prefer to be alone.....for days at a time.  Good thing my husband is in the military.  I also will not ask anyone for help and if someone asks if they can help me, I decline.  I am not a team player.  When I go places I prefer not to tell anyone where I am going....I want to do what I feel like without having to "check in".

I'm an awful human being.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/06 at 2:44 pm

My brother has been living with our Mum for 52 years.

Maybe soon I will want to check out some supported or independent living apartments.I'm tired of living with the modern day Archie and Edith Bunker. >:(

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:32 am

Maybe soon I will want to check out some supported or independent living apartments.I'm tired of living with the modern day Archie and Edith Bunker. >:(

What's keeping you from moving out???

Written By: Howard on 06/03/06 at 7:34 am

What's keeping you from moving out???

Not enough financial support.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:47 am

Not enough financial support.

Ah I see...you're such a Robert Baronne  ;) ;D

Written By: jaytee on 06/03/06 at 8:26 am

Dependent (and happily so) :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/05/06 at 3:08 am

Since I don't work I am dependent on my husband, but aside from that, I am very independent.

I prefer to be alone.....for days at a time.  Good thing my husband is in the military.  I also will not ask anyone for help and if someone asks if they can help me, I decline.  I am not a team player.  When I go places I prefer not to tell anyone where I am going....I want to do what I feel like without having to "check in".

I'm an awful human being.

There is nothing remotely awful about that Jacks !

I am extremely independent. Have been since I put my brother thru highschool when I was only 16 myself.

Even when I was married my husband lived in MY house surrounded by MY furniture, and lived on MY income (he was too drunk to work). I ran the entire household, working full time and paying all bills.

Since getting rid of him I have lived alone since the early 90s other than when I let a friends brother board with me for 3 years, and took another friend in for a year after her divorce. (and I have to say I was not a fan of sharing my time and space !!!!!)

I love my space and independence and refuse to let lovers move in. I prefer partners/lovers to also be totally independent - financially and socially - cant stand clingy ones who need to be by my side 24/7.

I love that I can pack a suitcase and take off on a trip without having to tell a soul (other than my employer of course).
I love being the queen of the remote control !
I love being able to play my taste in music as loud as I want without anyones approval.
I love not having to cook dinner - and just eating cheese and crackers cos thats all I feel like.
I love that all my responsibilities are of my own making.

Written By: jackas on 06/05/06 at 6:47 am

There is nothing remotely awful about that Jacks !

I am extremely independent. Have been since I put my brother thru highschool when I was only 16 myself.

Even when I was married my husband lived in MY house surrounded by MY furniture, and lived on MY income (he was too drunk to work). I ran the entire household, working full time and paying all bills.

Since getting rid of him I have lived alone since the early 90s other than when I let a friends brother board with me for 3 years, and took another friend in for a year after her divorce. (and I have to say I was not a fan of sharing my time and space !!!!!)

I love my space and independence and refuse to let lovers move in. I prefer partners/lovers to also be totally independent - financially and socially - cant stand clingy ones who need to be by my side 24/7.

I love that I can pack a suitcase and take off on a trip without having to tell a soul (other than my employer of course).
I love being the queen of the remote control !
I love being able to play my taste in music as loud as I want without anyones approval.
I love not having to cook dinner - and just eating cheese and crackers cos thats all I feel like.
I love that all my responsibilities are of my own making.

Awww...thanks BMG! 

I really don't think that it's awful either.  I am very introverted and one of the introvert traits is that we like to be alone.  It's not like it's a choice I'm making, it is just my nature. 

Written By: Howard on 06/05/06 at 5:03 pm

Ah I see...you're such a Robert Baronne  ;) ;D

AT least he's not on SSI

Subject: Dependent OR Independent?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/10/21 at 10:00 pm

I picked DEPENDANT but I am independant on alot of things....

But I cant lie,Im quite dependant also and I probably wouldnt do as good if I didnt have anyone to help me,but arent we all like that really?

Written By: Howard on 12/11/21 at 7:31 am

I'm a bit of both, I can be independent like taking public transportation by myself which I've been doing for 35 years and being dependent on some people can be useful sometimes cause it's helpful.

Written By: nally on 03/03/22 at 11:35 pm

I'm a bit of both, I can be independent like taking public transportation by myself which I've been doing for 35 years and being dependent on some people can be useful sometimes cause it's helpful.

I can relate; sometimes I feel like I can be independent, but other times I feel dependent. But I’m 41 (almost 42) now, so I should be more independent.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/22 at 3:50 am

I can relate; sometimes I feel like I can be independent, but other times I feel dependent. But I’m 41 (almost 42) now, so I should be more independent.

I'm turning 48 and I myself, would like to be independent but the problem is I need financial support.

Written By: Contigo on 03/04/22 at 9:34 am

I have been somewhat independent since my years at University. I moved out during that time, went to school and also got a part time job t pay for my rent back then.  5 or 6 years later I got married and we've been married for a little over 40 years now. 
Most of the guys I knew back then, by the time they were about 25 years old, no one lived at home anymore.  Having said that, it was easier to find a job back then and rent was so much cheaper too (but  the minimum wage was also much lower)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/04/22 at 10:04 am

I have been somewhat independent since my years at University. I moved out during that time, went to school and also got a part time job t pay for my rent back then.  5 or 6 years later I got married and we've been married for a little over 40 years now. 
Most of the guys I knew back then, by the time they were about 25 years old, no one lived at home anymore.  Having said that, it was easier to find a job back then and rent was so much cheaper too (but  the minimum wage was also much lower)

I was making minimum wage in the 70s and it was way, way under $3 per hour. Believe it or not, one could basically live on that. Rents were cheaper. Cars were cheaper. Concert tickets went for $4.50-$6.50. That's why everybody saw all the greats and near greats back then. Movies were about $3. Less if you went in the afternoon.  It wasn't until the 80s that corporate greed really, really took hold and was "legitimized" by Ronald Reagan. Corporations had always been out to make a profit (obviously), but post-80s is when they began to very actively SCREW the consumer. And take pleasure in it too!

Written By: nally on 03/04/22 at 8:38 pm

I'm turning 48 and I myself, would like to be independent but the problem is I need financial support.

That's right, tomorrow is your special day!!

As for the financial support, I seem to earn some of that by working. I've been in my current job for 6 years, although for the first 5 it was part time, which is not enough to support myself financially. Last April my work became full time, and it's helped me earn a lot more.

Written By: Howard on 03/05/22 at 7:56 am

That's right, tomorrow is your special day!!

As for the financial support, I seem to earn some of that by working. I've been in my current job for 6 years, although for the first 5 it was part time, which is not enough to support myself financially. Last April my work became full time, and it's helped me earn a lot more.

I have a part time job, earn money and pay my bills whenever they come in and I've been at my current job for nearly 9 months.

Written By: nally on 03/06/22 at 9:17 pm

I have a part time job, earn money and pay my bills whenever they come in and I've been at my current job for nearly 9 months.

I, too, earn money to pay my own bills...as well as the household expenses. For a while I wasn't earning any, but I'm glad I have a job that I'm comfortable with.

In fact, there have been a number of times over the past several years that I've had the house to myself for several days in a row (up to three weeks in some cases), because my parents went out of town...but I proved I could handle them being away for that long, by paying the household bills as they come in. I've also had to make my own meals. That's another thing, I'm now in my 40s and still not too proficient with cooking, but I do like to help out whenever I can. When my parents were away for three weeks in October of 2013, I was able to plan my own meals and go shopping for food each week. (The same was true when they went away for two-to-three weeks in 2015, 2016, and 2018...although in '16 and '18 I was working a paid job, albeit part time.) And being on my own for that long helped me to develop independence skills.

Written By: Redhairkid on 05/18/22 at 6:20 pm

Independent.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/22 at 3:41 am

Dependent.

Check for new replies or respond here...