inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ridiculous Prices

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/06 at 1:36 am

Have you ever seen things in stores that are very overpriced?

Here's one ... so I was shopping in Sunrise Records (a Canadian store much like HMV / Tower Records) and I notice alot of the older DVD's like Flashdance, Weird Science, etc ... are priced at like $39.99 each, but wait ... you can get the $39.99 DVD's 2 for $75.  Who in their right mind is going to pay $75 for 2 DVD's, let alone DVD's that you can get almost any other store much cheaper.  I swear I've seen Flashdance in Wal-Mart for like 8 bucks

Subject: Re: Ridiculous Prices

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/17/06 at 1:37 am

iTunes charging $20.00 for the new RHCP album, that I saw in Best Buy for $11.99.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/17/06 at 1:39 am

$39.99 for a DVD?  I can buy Flashdance at Best Buy for less than $10.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/17/06 at 1:40 am

$39.99 for a DVD?  I can buy Flashdance at Best Buy for less than $10.

Yeah I would never spend $39.99 for a DVD.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 6:51 am

Jeez Louise....that is ridiculously priced!! Why do they think that someone would pay that amount for that?

As for overpriced...I hate when you go into a specialty boutique-like thrift store, and they think that their merchandise is gold (very overpriced). It's worn clothing people...you can only charge SO much for that. ::)  I'll stick with Goodwill and Salvation Army!!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/17/06 at 7:53 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/06 at 10:13 am

I wanted to get a copy of the movie the Wave (which was an ABC Afterschool Special back in the 70s). There is only one place that sells it and they want something like $89 for a VHS!  :o :o :o  The movie is only about 45 minutes long. Talk about a rip-off. But I managed to find a copy for about $10 on e-bay.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:14 am

I wanted to get a copy of the movie the Wave (which was an ABC Afterschool Special back in the 70s). There is only one place that sells it and they want something like $89 for a VHS!  :o :o :o  The movie is only about 45 minutes long. Talk about a rip-off. But I managed to find a copy for about $10 on e-bay.  ;D

Cat

How much do you REALLY want it?

Those obscure vids always command high prices because of their rarity...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/06 at 10:18 am

How much do you REALLY want it?

Those obscure vids always command high prices because of their rarity...

They mainly sell it to schools. I guess they think that schools can afford it-but I guess they haven't seen some school budgets lately.  ::)

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/17/06 at 10:25 am

It costs more for a gallon of milk than a gallon of gas.

Milk comes from a COW, gasoline is the remains of extinct species drilled out of the friggin' ground. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:27 am

I think going to the movies is ridiculously priced anymore. It's like almost $10 a person here now to see a movie in the evening. That is why I love drive-ins....you can see 2 new movies for around $6.00 a person...such a deal! :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:37 am

I think going to the movies is ridiculously priced anymore. It's like almost $10 a person here now to see a movie in the evening. That is why I love drive-ins....you can see 2 new movies for around $6.00 a person...such a deal! :)

You still have drive ins? The last one round here closed almost a decade ago!

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 05/17/06 at 10:38 am

I have to agree on the movie thing. We don'thave drive-thrus anymore though :(

But we are paying 5 bucks for popcorn >:( I can buy a whole jar of Orville Redenbaker or whatever his name is for less then that and it last me a long time.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/17/06 at 10:41 am

I have to agree on the movie thing. We don'thave drive-thrus anymore though :(

But we are paying 5 bucks for popcorn >:( I can buy a whole jar of Orville Redenbaker or whatever his name is for less then that and it last me a long time.

'Tis you! Haven't seen ya about in ages.

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 05/17/06 at 11:06 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/17/06 at 11:11 am

Ok, I don't remember this name, Who are you? LMAO 

Yeah, I've been busy :( Then I got lazy  :D, Then I missed you guys like crazy  ;)

Well my screen name used to be El_Duderino, and before that it was deadrockstar. 

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 05/17/06 at 11:17 am

[quote author=

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 11:37 am

You still have drive ins? The last one round here closed almost a decade ago!

yes, we are quite fortunate...we have 3 drive-ins near us. One is right down the road (about 2 miles away), the 2nd one is about 15 minutes away, and the 3rd is about 25 minutes away.

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/06 at 1:12 pm

Is that $39.99 Canadian or US?  Either way, I think it's STILL overpriced, but there are suckers who will pay it ::)

It's a Canadian price, but still overpriced.  Generally, DVD's sell for the same price in both the US and Canada.  When it comes to old DVD's from the 80's, I wouldn't pay more than around $10.  Heck, I don't even like paying $24 some bucks for new releases.  Pre-Viewed DVD's are the way to go 8)

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/06 at 1:16 pm

Movie Theatres have ridiculous prices.  When DOOM was at the theatres, my mom and I went to see it.  Admission for 2 passes and 2 medium popcorns, cost $39 in total.  I can rent 10 movies for that price

Written By: Apricot on 05/17/06 at 2:37 pm

[quote author=

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/06 at 3:30 pm

Are you in an urban area? I'm in an area not quite urban, but there's at least some semblance of a city.. total, 2 movie passes (I'm going to assume not matinee, which takes my total up 4 bucks) and 2 popcorns (medium) is only about 25-30 dollars. I know Urban areas are a lot more expensive.

It's a big multi-plex.  Those smaller theatres usually have cheaper prices yes, but to see movies on huge giant curved screens costs an arm and a leg.  It's cheaper to just download theatrical movies

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/17/06 at 3:47 pm

I'll spend that money to go to the theater.  I love watching movies in a theater.  There's just something about the experience that you don't get watching it anywhere else.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/18/06 at 8:34 am

I'll spend that money to go to the theater.  I love watching movies in a theater.  There's just something about the experience that you don't get watching it anywhere else.

Oh I know what you mean, it is a lot better going there...however, when you have a family it tends to be a bit pricey. We tend to go to the matinee showings since they are a bit cheaper.

Check for new replies or respond here...