inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most/Least Favourite American state?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 8:31 am

I'd still say California is my most favourite state - I mean it's so diverse, no naturally beautiful, so central to the American mythology, pop culture.etc

My least...that's a toughie, since I've never been to any state, lol, but probably a state like Iowa, which has nothing but corn-fields.

Subject: Re: Most/Least Favourite American state?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/06 at 10:25 am

I'd still say California is my most favourite state - I mean it's so diverse, no naturally beautiful, so central to the American mythology, pop culture.etc

My least...that's a toughie, since I've never been to any state, lol, but probably a state like Iowa, which has nothing but corn-fields.

Iowa the worst?  No way.  Iowa is the Field of Dreams.  :)

I lived in Indiana which has an awful lot of farm land, but every kid in Indiana plays basketball like Larry Bird.   :) So Indiana is not the worst either.

How about New Mexico?  You never hear much going on there except for the Manhattan Project and atomic lab scandals.  Yeah, that's the ticket... New Mexico.  New Mexico is a state isn't it?  ;)

<LyricBoy prepares for the assault.>  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/21/06 at 11:57 am

Favorite: Illinois

Least Favorite:  Massachusetts (not because I'm a Yankee fan; my dad's family is there and I just don't like visiting them)

Written By: loki 13 on 05/21/06 at 12:26 pm

Favorite State:

New Jersey, it's filled with intrigue and recreation. historic battle sites
the Atlantic Ocean, the best tomatoes in the country, the Jersey Devil,
a bottomless pit and the eerie Clinton road.

Least favorite State:

New Jersey, insurance is too high, property tax is outrageous, it's too
congested, and parts of the state smell bad.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/06 at 1:22 pm

Favorite:  Vermont (obviously)

Least Favorite: Texas, Conn, Ohio (sorry Gemini) & Indiana.  I have lived in Texas & Conn. But Ohio & Indiana are up there because of personal incidences that involved my ex. 

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/21/06 at 1:52 pm

Favorite: Pennsylvania (lots of great history, great seasonal weather, no worries of many natural disasters, great mountains...beautiful in lots of parts).

Least Favorite: probably West Virginia

Written By: Step-chan on 05/21/06 at 2:31 pm

I lived in Indiana which has an awful lot of farm land, but every kid in Indiana plays basketball like Larry Bird.   :) So Indiana is not the worst either.

I live in Indiana and I'm not fond of it one bit.

Written By: Bobby on 05/21/06 at 2:40 pm

I don't know any state in the US but I would love to go to California but don't fancy the idea of going to Utah.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/21/06 at 2:56 pm

Having never been to the States, I'll base my answer on what I've seen/heard.

California seems like a nice place, as with alot of the North-Eastern parts. Maybe Florida aswell.

Much of the middle states don't interest me as much, but I've never been there, so what do I know?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 6:04 pm

Iowa the worst?  No way.  Iowa is the Field of Dreams.  :)

I lived in Indiana which has an awful lot of farm land, but every kid in Indiana plays basketball like Larry Bird.  :) So Indiana is not the worst either.

How about New Mexico?  You never hear much going on there except for the Manhattan Project and atomic lab scandals.  Yeah, that's the ticket... New Mexico.  New Mexico is a state isn't it?  ;)

<LyricBoy prepares for the assault.>  ;D

New Mexico is not as boring as it sounds. It's got plenty of native American culture, stunning natural and cultural attractions (where else can one ski in the desert? not many places). As I place, it's probably places like Nebraska, Iowa or North Dakota which have nothing but farming land, and small towns with white churches.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/21/06 at 7:30 pm

Favorite State:

New Jersey, it's filled with intrigue and recreation. historic battle sites
the Atlantic Ocean, the best tomatoes in the country, the Jersey Devil,
a bottomless pit and the eerie Clinton road.

Least favorite State:

New Jersey, insurance is too high, property tax is outrageous, it's too
congested, and parts of the state smell bad.

Hi loki,

Have you ever been to the website Lost Destinations?  There's a lot of stuff about New Jersey...weird, creepy stuff. 

http://www.lostdestinations.com/clinton.htm

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/06 at 7:44 pm

I live in Indiana and I'm not fond of it one bit.

You must live in Gary or Hammond...  :-\\

Written By: loki 13 on 05/21/06 at 7:52 pm

Hi loki,

Have you ever been to the website Lost Destinations?  There's a lot of stuff about New Jersey...weird, creepy stuff. 

http://www.lostdestinations.com/clinton.htm

I just visited the site, thanks for the link. I have a book called "Tales From Clinton Road"
by the magazine Weird New Jersey. One of these days I want to go there and see the
road for myself.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 9:04 pm

Favorites: New Jersey, Rhode Island, Illinois.
Least Favorite: Probably some deep Southern state.

Written By: La Roche on 05/21/06 at 9:21 pm

Dang, tough question.

My favourite states?

Well, I'll give you three.

Tennesse, New York and Montana.

My least favourite.

Alabama, Kansas and Iowa.  :P

I'd love to add Missouri to either, but it's so touch and go.

Written By: KKay on 05/21/06 at 9:23 pm

love NY and Maine and NH.
I don't like CA or Ill very much. or Ohio

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/21/06 at 10:34 pm

It's hard for me to pick just one favorite...

Virginia-where I live now.
Tennessee-I'm right on the border, so I spend a lot of time here.
New York-where I grew up and my family still lives.
Florida-Disney WOrld and St. George Island

Least fav...can't pick, there is something I like of the states I've visited.  I have fond memories of New Jersey (Trenton), Pa. (Philly), Ga. (Tifton, Commerce), NC (Charlotte) and SC (the beaches).

Written By: CeeKay on 05/21/06 at 11:14 pm

Wow, I was surprised to see New Mexico and Utah as least favorites.  They are beautiful places.  But you really have to drive them.

My favorites are New York, Pennsyvania and New Mexico.  Oh -- and Washington state -- I like it there.

My least....probably someplace I haven't been, like North Dakota or West Virginia.  Just because.

I used to work for an organization where we travelled to state capitols. And while New Jersey is not my least favorite state -- Trenton is definitely my least favorite capitol city.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/06 at 12:22 am

I don't know much about Ameriacan States ot be able to pick one I hate/like

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/22/06 at 1:32 am

Although I haven't been in each one yet, I can't really attack or praise one state over the other because each has it's own "flavor". However there seems to be states and then there are "power states" that are almost semi-autonomous coutries like California, Texas, Illinois, Florida, New York, and a few others. Just out of curiousity, do people outside the US regard the states as departments of the United States or do they see the US as made up of seperate entities like the EC? I ask that because some states existed as seperate british colonies (including non-13 colonies like Illinois and the Mexican state of Texas) that assembled to form a failed confederate goverment and later the Federal US Goverment. And no I don't mean the Southern Confederacy during the civil war but the one that lasted for about 8 years after the revolution. 

As for what Iowa is like, I know because I can see it from my bathroom window. (I live on a bluff of the Mississippi River). Except for a handful of small cities and a few man made lakes, Iowa is in fact one big farm.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 8:38 am

Favorites: New Jersey, Rhode Island, Illinois.
Least Favorite: Probably some deep Southern state.

Deep South? Is that because they are full of red-necks/religious fundamentalists?

In think states like Louisiana, Mississippi are among the most fascinating of states. It's such a pity that I'll never see large portions of New Orleans - to me it's one of the most cosmopolitan cities in North America. Misisssippi, Alabama, Georgia.etc have such interesting history with the old historic 'anti-bellum' mansions, relics of the Civil War. But I guess to each his/her own.

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/22/06 at 5:54 pm

Favorite: New York
Because it is fun anywhere you go in the state!

Least Favorite: California
IT IS SOOO BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 5:58 pm

Deep South? Is that because they are full of red-necks/religious fundamentalists?

In think states like Louisiana, Mississippi are among the most fascinating of states. It's such a pity that I'll never see large portions of New Orleans - to me it's one of the most cosmopolitan cities in North America. Misisssippi, Alabama, Georgia.etc have such interesting history with the old historic 'anti-bellum' mansions, relics of the Civil War. But I guess to each his/her own.

I think they're interesting, but they're not very accepting to a person like myself, for obvious and various reasons.

I don't like New York very much, honestly. It's a mix of yuppies, a more boring version of Jersey in L.I., and a depressed upstate area.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 3:48 am

I think they're interesting, but they're not very accepting to a person like myself, for obvious and various reasons.

I don't like New York very much, honestly. It's a mix of yuppies, a more boring version of Jersey in L.I., and a depressed upstate area.

Even Upstate New York? I hear upstate New York is a world away from N.Y.C. (well, of course it would be, lol). Buffalo actually seems like quite an interesting city; it's close to Canada, real estate is dead cheap, and it's location is quite picturesque next to Lake Eerie.

Of course the South also has it's more 'cosmopolitan' enclaves, such as New Orleans, Atlanta, Charleston N.C., Biloxi, MS.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/23/06 at 5:39 am

I love Massachusetts, it has just about everything. Of the states I have visited I can say that Florida is the least likely place I would want to be stuck.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 8:03 am

I love Massachusetts, it has just about everything. Of the states I have visited I can say that Florida is the least likely place I would want to be stuck.

I've heard some pretty bad stories about Florida from people who have visited it. One person who visited Orlando absolutely hated it - I think she compared it to a collection of hotels and parking lots, which is actually quite easy to imagine, lol. I guess it gets a word spanking because most visit it during the busy tourist season, when the very touristey attractions like DisneyWorld, the Everglades.etc are packed.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/23/06 at 10:32 am

I've heard some pretty bad stories about Florida from people who have visited it. One person who visited Orlando absolutely hated it - I think she compared it to a collection of hotels and parking lots, which is actually quite easy to imagine, lol. I guess it gets a word spanking because most visit it during the busy tourist season, when the very touristey attractions like DisneyWorld, the Everglades.etc are packed.

We went to Disney twice, and to the Cape Canaveral.  The first time we stuck to Disney, the other two times we got out and about and it all seemed so bland.

Written By: jackas on 05/23/06 at 1:27 pm

I don't know any state in the US but I would love to go to California but don't fancy the idea of going to Utah.

Utah is a very pretty state, lots of mountains and national parks. The people may be a little too rigid, but aside from that, it's nice.

Favorite:  Arizona

Least Favorite: Kansas and Florida

The only thing Florida has going for it are the beautiful beaches, aside from that the place is awful.  Effing swamps and kudzu!

Written By: Step-chan on 05/23/06 at 2:41 pm

You must live in Gary or Hammond...  :-\\

Indianapolis, check my bio. ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/23/06 at 2:41 pm

To live in? California or Washington State. Most beautiful? Montana.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/23/06 at 2:59 pm

It's really hard to say. I have not been to a lot of states, but of the ones I've been to, this is what I've gathered:

Favorites: California, Nevada (mainly because of Vegas), and North Carolina (for the coast and history)

Least Favorite: South Carolina

For obvious reasons, California is my native state and based just on it's beautiful natural state, it already ranks high. I also find it hugely diverse. If you wanna go out to the Agriculture land and feel like you're in Iowa, then dive into the Central Valley. If you want to feel like you're in the Swiss Alps, go into Lake Tahoe. If you want to feel like a total surfer dude, go to the stateside coast. If you want to feel the magic of movies, check out Los Angeles. If you want to be at one with nature, check out Yosemite. There's just a HUGE abundance of things to do. It may cost more to be here and we may deal with smog and other unsavory things, but I still wouldn't trade it for the world.

South Carolina, on the other hand, was rather disappointing for many reasons. Myrtle Beach was SO washed out. I know there are other parts I didn't see that were probably better. But, I mean, this place just looked SO dirty. People walking around barefoot on the streets after a long night's worth of drinking. Lots and lots of dives on each side of the street. I thought SoCarolina would be an improvement from NoCarolina, but it was sorely well under that.

Written By: 1993 on 05/23/06 at 3:48 pm

I grew up tucked away in the Jersey suburbs, and there was a time I loved going to NY because it was exciting...now I just see it as loud, noisy, and annoying...only to be taken in small doses.

Upstate? forget it. Anything north of and west of Putnam is the sticks for a while! backwoods to the extreme...but if you keep going north it'll gradually turn into New England. Anything west of Cayuga is Canada.

I always had a theory that the suburbs of Northern NJ are actually more "New England" in feel than New York or the typical "Jerseyite" stereotype with the thick accent.

Written By: Bobby on 05/23/06 at 3:59 pm

Utah is a very pretty state, lots of mountains and national parks. The people may be a little too rigid, but aside from that, it's nice.

I see it as Mormon country I guess . . . How's that for a bit of stereotyping?  :D ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 5:37 pm

I grew up tucked away in the Jersey suburbs, and there was a time I loved going to NY because it was exciting...now I just see it as loud, noisy, and annoying...only to be taken in small doses.

Upstate? forget it. Anything north of and west of Putnam is the sticks for a while! backwoods to the extreme...but if you keep going north it'll gradually turn into New England. Anything west of Cayuga is Canada.

I always had a theory that the suburbs of Northern NJ are actually more "New England" in feel than New York or the typical "Jerseyite" stereotype with the thick accent.

Hmm, where in the Jersey 'burbs are you from, 1993? I'm from Glen Ridge, it's wedged between the Oranges, Bloomfield, and Montclair. Part of the reason that the Jersey burbs are more New England-y is that all the previous settlers left as Tories during the Revolutionary War (there's a corner in West Orange, Main and Harrison I think, actually known as Torey's Corner), and so people from Connecticut and Massachusetts came south in the 18th and 19th centuries to take over the farmlands here. Some of the other 'burbs, the more working-class Italian ones and the small cities, honestly could be in Southern New England, like Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, etc. in terms of organization, but alot of Bergen County feels a little like Long Island.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/23/06 at 5:39 pm

I see it as Mormon country I guess . . . How's that for a bit of stereotyping?  :D ;D

I've been to Utah and it's very beautiful. It was clean, too. It may not be the most exciting places, but it was a nice place and the people were nice. I went to Mt. Zion and stopped at a KFC in Hurricane (near St. George) and drove through other bits and parts, trying to get back to Las Vegas.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 5:41 pm

I've been to Utah and it's very beautiful. It was clean, too. It may not be the most exciting places, but it was a nice place and the people were nice. I went to Mt. Zion and stopped at a KFC in Hurricane (near St. George) and drove through other bits and parts, trying to get back to Las Vegas.

What's Vegas like?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/23/06 at 5:50 pm

I've been to Zion. Breathtaking is the only word I can think of to describe it.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/23/06 at 5:52 pm

What's Vegas like?

It's just amazing. You can't seem to take in all of the lights and glimmer and shine. I've been to Las Vegas 2 times. I think I'm due for a third. There are still places I've never been to there. And the way they keep ripping places apart and building new places, it appears I'll always have something new to visit. Yet, the places I seem to enjoy more are the old fashioned casinos. They just have this charm to them that you can't replace. The Bellagio is of course stunning, as is the Mirage, Paris, Aladdin, Mandalay Bay, etc. But, it's difficult for those casinos to capture that '60s charm of Vegas when it was at it's peak.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/23/06 at 6:09 pm

Mt. Zion - Utah

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/ultraviolet521/Utah_3.jpg

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 6:45 pm

It's just amazing. You can't seem to take in all of the lights and glimmer and shine. I've been to Las Vegas 2 times. I think I'm due for a third. There are still places I've never been to there. And the way they keep ripping places apart and building new places, it appears I'll always have something new to visit. Yet, the places I seem to enjoy more are the old fashioned casinos. They just have this charm to them that you can't replace. The Bellagio is of course stunning, as is the Mirage, Paris, Aladdin, Mandalay Bay, etc. But, it's difficult for those casinos to capture that '60s charm of Vegas when it was at it's peak.

Alot of SoCal transplants definitely move to Vegas. There's something of the "pioneer" in native white Californians...they themselves probably are descended from pioneers who went to the Great Plains and then migrated to California.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:14 pm

Alot of SoCal transplants definitely move to Vegas. There's something of the "pioneer" in native white Californians...they themselves probably are descended from pioneers who went to the Great Plains and then migrated to California.

Most Californians aren't actually 'pioneers' who came with wagon trains and a simple faith in God ( ;)) that they'd survive all the trials of the virgin land, ripe for the picking (even if it were already owned by the Native Americans). But of course not all Pioneers travelled in wagon trains.etc, and California has been the last stop for many ever since the Gold Rush days and before, especially during the Depression and Post War period.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/23/06 at 9:34 pm

Most Californians aren't actually 'pioneers' who came with wagon trains and a simple faith in God ( ;)) that they'd survive all the trials of the virgin land, ripe for the picking (even if it were already owned by the Native Americans). But of course not all Pioneers travelled in wagon trains.etc, and California has been the last stop for many ever since the Gold Rush days and before, especially during the Depression and Post War period.

California is a melting pot within a melting pot. It probably has the most diverse amount of people located in one state (maybe next to New York). People from all over live here. People tend to think of a lot of Mexicans living here, but we have a HUGE Asian population, especially Chinese, Indian, and Filipino.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:36 pm

California is a melting pot within a melting pot. It probably has the most diverse amount of people located in one state (maybe next to New York). People from all over live here. People tend to think of a lot of Mexicans living here, but we have a HUGE Asian population, especially Chinese, Indian, and Filipino.

Yeah, but these immigrants tend to be concentrate in the large cities like L.A., San Francisco, San Jose 'Sillicon Valley' and other large cities. Some parts of L.A. are almost wholly black/Hispanic, while others are very white - in short there's a high degree of racial segregration in many communities (of course there are many mixed ones as well).

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/23/06 at 9:47 pm

What's Vegas like?

Vegas is what the people who work on virtual reality were trying to achieve. It's Disneyland for adults.

You don't have to enjoy drinking or gambling to enjoy Vegas. 

See a 5-block-long overhead video screen.  See flashing lights wherever you go.  Walk down the Strip with a beer in your hand, and if you see a cop, you'll notice he's smiling at you because it's legal. The sidewalks are paved with porn.  See more bizarro-style fake (but glitzy) architecture per city block than Disneyland packed into an entire theme park.  Go to a range and fire a fully-automatic weapon for the sheer hell of it.  Go to the Atomic Testing Museum and see things for which you'd have been shot *BY* a fully-automatic weapon for even *talking about* 50 years ago.  For a snack, go to the M&M museum and buy a bag of M&Ms in whatever color you like - even colors that aren't in the bag.  For dinner, skip the buffet and drop $50-100 in any casino's restaurant - it ain't a $200/plate "world class" restaurant, but it's ten times better than what you'll get at the same price in most major US cities.  And unlike anywhere on earth, you can get every genre of food within walking distance of the Strip - and the walk is worth taking.

And if you're bored after all of that (because you will have money left over - about half of the activities mentioned are free or under $20), go ahead and gamble.

I haven't seen enough states to declare Nevada as my favorite.

But everyone should see Vegas, at least once.  It's the freest city in Unistat, and long may it remain so.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/23/06 at 9:54 pm

New York City just seems too... BIG!

I'm not sure I could live there.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/23/06 at 10:40 pm

Yeah, but these immigrants tend to be concentrate in the large cities like L.A., San Francisco, San Jose 'Sillicon Valley' and other large cities. Some parts of L.A. are almost wholly black/Hispanic, while others are very white - in short there's a high degree of racial segregration in many communities (of course there are many mixed ones as well).

Actually, I've been all over California (and I live here ;)), so I beg to differ. Mexicans, if you may not know, are THE majority now in California. So, yes, even though a majority of them live in the big cities or metro areas, Mexicans are a constant throughout the state. I am proud of our Mexican heritage because they really make up the fabric of what California has become. They've done so much for us. The Asians, although may be more sparse beyond the metropolitian areas, are still quite evident in smaller communities.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/23/06 at 11:40 pm

ah yes, about 1/4 of our school I'd say is Mexican.

Written By: 1993 on 05/24/06 at 12:24 am

Hmm, where in the Jersey 'burbs are you from, 1993? I'm from Glen Ridge, it's wedged between the Oranges, Bloomfield, and Montclair. Part of the reason that the Jersey burbs are more New England-y is that all the previous settlers left as Tories during the Revolutionary War (there's a corner in West Orange, Main and Harrison I think, actually known as Torey's Corner), and so people from Connecticut and Massachusetts came south in the 18th and 19th centuries to take over the farmlands here. Some of the other 'burbs, the more working-class Italian ones and the small cities, honestly could be in Southern New England, like Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, etc. in terms of organization, but alot of Bergen County feels a little like Long Island.

I'm from Upper Saddle River, which is in Bergen but way way up North, somewhat snobby but not threatening. I always likened that area to New England. I've heard Upper Montclair is like that too.

Also parts of Morris county seem to give off that New England vibe.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/24/06 at 3:26 am

The east and perhaps the South and Midwest are probably more interesting culturally, while the West/Rocky Mountain states boast spectacular natural scenery (although pretty spectacular scenery is to be found in the east as well).

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 5:36 am

Mexicans are definitely the plurality. I've done alot of research on California, and not all that much of L.A. is exclusively white anymore. Alot of San Diego has a ton of white folk, some of the eastern and northern 'burbs and exurbs of the Bay Area do, most of the eastern O.C., and some of the western suburbs of L.A. (like those in Ventura County or around Beverly Hills) are homogenous. But now, other suburban areas like the Lakewood-Long Beach area, West O.C., the Inland Empire, and the South Bay are much more ethnically mixed. Isn't the Bay Area more Filipino than anywhere else in the US, and the western O.C. and the Long Beach area very Vietnamese and SE Asian? I also know there are probably more Koreans than anywhere else, followed shortly by Bergen County.

The more "old money" sections of Morris County and Somerset County definitely give off that New England vibe in parts. And yeah, Upper Montclair sort of has a "snooty" vibe to it. We in Glen Ridge hate 'em...though I suppose we have a New England-ish vibe too.

Written By: Bobby on 05/24/06 at 5:47 am

I see. I guess Utah is a scenery place to go.

Written By: jackas on 05/24/06 at 5:52 am

Well you were absolutely right, it is Mormon country.  That would make it a little hard to live there, but it is so pretty.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/24/06 at 5:52 am

I see. I guess Utah is a scenery place to go.

T-shirt I saw

"You are now entering Utah, please set clocks back 20 years"  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 05/24/06 at 6:07 am

Well you were absolutely right, it is Mormon country.  That would make it a little hard to live there, but it is so pretty.

I suppose passing through is cool. That Mount Zion place looks nice.

Written By: Bobby on 05/24/06 at 6:07 am

T-shirt I saw

"You are now entering Utah, please set clocks back 20 years"   ;)

LOL!!!

Good one, Danoota.

k.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/24/06 at 7:29 am

Actually, I've been all over California (and I live here ;)), so I beg to differ. Mexicans, if you may not know, are THE majority now in California. So, yes, even though a majority of them live in the big cities or metro areas, Mexicans are a constant throughout the state. I am proud of our Mexican heritage because they really make up the fabric of what California has become. They've done so much for us. The Asians, although may be more sparse beyond the metropolitian areas, are still quite evident in smaller communities.

I heard learning Spanish as a second language is compulsory in most schools in the US, is that correct? I could imagine it would be helpful in some parts of Los Angeles where the majority of the population are of Hispanic Origin. Conversely, however, those Spanish-speaking immigrants/long term residents (mainly the older ones) should also try and make an effort to learn English/improve their English.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/24/06 at 12:56 pm

Mexicans are definitely the plurality. I've done alot of research on California, and not all that much of L.A. is exclusively white anymore. Alot of San Diego has a ton of white folk, some of the eastern and northern 'burbs and exurbs of the Bay Area do, most of the eastern O.C., and some of the western suburbs of L.A. (like those in Ventura County or around Beverly Hills) are homogenous. But now, other suburban areas like the Lakewood-Long Beach area, West O.C., the Inland Empire, and the South Bay are much more ethnically mixed. Isn't the Bay Area more Filipino than anywhere else in the US, and the western O.C. and the Long Beach area very Vietnamese and SE Asian? I also know there are probably more Koreans than anywhere else, followed shortly by Bergen County.

The more "old money" sections of Morris County and Somerset County definitely give off that New England vibe in parts. And yeah, Upper Montclair sort of has a "snooty" vibe to it. We in Glen Ridge hate 'em...though I suppose we have a New England-ish vibe too.

I am not too sure of the Filipino population being highest in the Bay Area, but it wouldn't surprise me as we're off the Pacific Coast and it's probably an easier place for them to stop and settle rather than traveling East. Plus, I know A LOT of Filipinos where I live. Actually, a good portion of some of my closest friends are Filipino. When I was back East in Virginia and so on, the only people of Asian decent I saw were ones who owned a Chinese restaurant. It was sort of strange. I felt more at home being inside there than any other restaurant because it seemed like the only ethnic diversity I'd seen in days. It was really strange.

Written By: jackas on 05/24/06 at 1:03 pm

I heard learning Spanish as a second language is compulsory in most schools in the US, is that correct? I could imagine it would be helpful in some parts of Los Angeles where the majority of the population are of Hispanic Origin. Conversely, however, those Spanish-speaking immigrants/long term residents (mainly the older ones) should also try and make an effort to learn English/improve their English.

Amen, brotha!

No, taking Spanish isn't compulsory in high school.  Depending on your college major it may be.  My cousin went to a California State college to become a teacher and it was madatory for her to take Spanish...it's BS.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 1:53 pm

Not quite. In most American states, you must take a foreign language for two years of high school, and in smaller or poorer schools it's usually Spanish or French.

Wait, here're the statistics for San Mateo County on Filipino origin. It is I'm guessing the most Filipino county in the country, being 8.3% Filipino, or having 58,684 Filipinos. Alameda County is 8% Chinese and 5% Filipino, and Contra Costa County is a little bit whiter. San Francisco is the most Chinese large city in America, being 20% Chinese out of 775,000. Orange County, which has almost 3 million people, is 5% Vietnamese (about 150,000 people), 2% Filipino, Korean, and Chinese. Los Angeles County has over 330,000 Chinese people, or 3.5% of its general population, between 250,000 and 300,000 Filipinos, and about 200,000 Koreans.

I would say, overall, California is more "diverse" than the rest of the country, with whites coexisting with Asians, Blacks, Latinos, etc. in areas like the South Bay and coastal East Bay of the Bay Area, and more white areas further afield in the exurbs and further flung suburbs above the East Bay and Marin County. San Diego is pretty white as a rule, and most of the O.C. is pretty mixed, though it definitely has alot of segregated white areas, abutting more diverse communities. San Fernando Valley is similarly mixed, and the Long Beach part of L.A. County and the Inland Empire are too. But the San Gabriel Valley is almost exclusively Hispanic and Asian suburbs.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/24/06 at 1:57 pm

Not quite. In most American states, you must take a foreign language for two years of high school, and in smaller or poorer schools it's usually Spanish or French.

Yeah, same with us. But isn't Spanish like America's 'unofficial second language?' That's what it seems to be when I watch American TV.etc. I know Spanish is one of the fastest growing languages in the world (it overtook English awhile ago, I believe), which will probably hampen the 'English-isation' of Latin America.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 2:09 pm

Yeah, same with us. But isn't Spanish like America's 'unofficial second language?' That's what it seems to be when I watch American TV.etc. I know Spanish is one of the fastest growing languages in the world (it overtook English awhile ago, I believe), which will probably hampen the 'English-isation' of Latin America.

I think the fastest growing language in America is actually Mandarin Chinese or some Asian Indian language at the moment. Yeah, it's sort of an "unofficial second language."

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 4:33 pm

Bump...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/24/06 at 5:24 pm

Spanish should be an official language along with English. I don't see the hurt in us knowing another language. It's very helpful for people around the world to be bilingual and eases translation problems. Already in California, we have major stores who have signs that have both English and Spanish printing on signs, etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 5:29 pm

Spanish should be an official language along with English. I don't see the hurt in us knowing another language. It's very helpful for people around the world to be bilingual and eases translation problems. Already in California, we have major stores who have signs that have both English and Spanish printing on signs, etc.

Ultraviolet, what do you think of Cal analysis?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/24/06 at 5:33 pm

Ultraviolet, what do you think of Cal analysis?

As in, an outsider's view of California?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 5:37 pm

As in, an outsider's view of California?

Oh, I meant my ethnic analysis of California in a prior post...my bad!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/24/06 at 5:56 pm

Wait, here're the statistics for San Mateo County on Filipino origin. It is I'm guessing the most Filipino county in the country, being 8.3% Filipino, or having 58,684 Filipinos. Alameda County is 8% Chinese and 5% Filipino, and Contra Costa County is a little bit whiter. San Francisco is the most Chinese large city in America, being 20% Chinese out of 775,000. Orange County, which has almost 3 million people, is 5% Vietnamese (about 150,000 people), 2% Filipino, Korean, and Chinese. Los Angeles County has over 330,000 Chinese people, or 3.5% of its general population, between 250,000 and 300,000 Filipinos, and about 200,000 Koreans.

I would say, overall, California is more "diverse" than the rest of the country, with whites coexisting with Asians, Blacks, Latinos, etc. in areas like the South Bay and coastal East Bay of the Bay Area, and more white areas further afield in the exurbs and further flung suburbs above the East Bay and Marin County. San Diego is pretty white as a rule, and most of the O.C. is pretty mixed, though it definitely has alot of segregated white areas, abutting more diverse communities. San Fernando Valley is similarly mixed, and the Long Beach part of L.A. County and the Inland Empire are too. But the San Gabriel Valley is almost exclusively Hispanic and Asian suburbs.

Wow, this may explain why I am so accustomed at having people of Asian decent around me. It's very interesting. Those stats appear to reflect the diversity very much. Contra Costa County does have a lot of affluent "yuppie" types that live in Danville, San Ramon, Diablo, Blackhawk and Alamo. Very, very rich people there. Walnut Creek and Lafayette are maybe a tad less "yuppie" and more "old money." This may explain more whites, not just because it's a rich area, but just because these people tend to gather together in their own communities and drive others out. Most of those communities are all gated.

Why we have so many diverse amounts of people, I am not sure. It may be that we're sort of the gateway like New York is, to gather in new immigrants.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 7:09 pm

Wow, this may explain why I am so accustomed at having people of Asian decent around me. It's very interesting. Those stats appear to reflect the diversity very much. Contra Costa County does have a lot of affluent "yuppie" types that live in Danville, San Ramon, Diablo, Blackhawk and Alamo. Very, very rich people there. Walnut Creek and Lafayette are maybe a tad less "yuppie" and more "old money." This may explain more whites, not just because it's a rich area, but just because these people tend to gather together in their own communities and drive others out. Most of those communities are all gated.

Why we have so many diverse amounts of people, I am not sure. It may be that we're sort of the gateway like New York is, to gather in new immigrants.

Also, alot of middle-class whites from San Francisco (originally, like over half a century ago) seem to live further out east now as costs rise and immigration rises. Like Antioch, Pittsburg, Vacaville way.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/24/06 at 7:13 pm

Also, alot of middle-class whites from San Francisco (originally, like over half a century ago) seem to live further out east now as costs rise and immigration rises. Like Antioch, Pittsburg, Vacaville way.

Whelp, I grew up in Pittsburg, but currently live in Antioch  ;D On my Dad's side, they lived in Concord and Brentwood. My mother's side lived in Richmond and then headed into Brentwood where all the land is still rolling hills and farm-like.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 7:23 pm

Whelp, I grew up in Pittsburg, but currently live in Antioch  ;D On my Dad's side, they lived in Concord and Brentwood. My mother's side lived in Richmond and then headed into Brentwood where all the land is still rolling hills and farm-like.

Brentwood's population increased by almost 70% in the past five years. Any questions you have about Jersey ethnically?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/24/06 at 7:29 pm

Brentwood's population increased by almost 70% in the past five years. Any questions you have about Jersey ethnically?

Yes - that's amazing! Brentwood, at one time, was named the nation's fastest growing city.

What sort of Asian population do you have in Jersey?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 7:44 pm

Yes - that's amazing! Brentwood, at one time, was named the nation's fastest growing city.

What sort of Asian population do you have in Jersey?

Well, we're the highest percent Asian Indian of any state. The Asian Indians are attracted by the massive pharmaceutical and chemical industries. Alot of them live in "Central New Jersey" (like Middlesex, Somerset, Mercer counties) in a middle-class to wealthy sort of way, and the Oak Tree Road Indiatown in Iselin and Edison serves this. In Jersey City, there's another Little India on Newark Avenue and another on Broadway in Passaic, and there are little Indian groceries scattered through suburbs everywhere.

Koreans cluster dramatically around the Hudson River, in places like Fort Lee and Palisades Park, which are heavily Korean, and the further up the river you get the wealthier the Koreans are. Chinese live across the state but particularly in the aforementioned central suburbs and in the same area as those Koreans. Filipinos have a whole area in Bergenfield that's "theirs." Vietnamese live in Jersey City and in Belleville, where they own a number of restaurants and markets down the street from my high school.

There's a huge Korean population in

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/24/06 at 10:33 pm

Favorite:

tie between California (where I live now) and Pennsylvania (my home state)

Least favorite:

Any of the northern states (e.g. Wyoming, North and South Dakota) that lack diversity

Written By: Dagwood on 05/24/06 at 11:22 pm

Don't knock Utah until you try it.  We have both gorgeous deserts and beautiful green mountains.  In the south, we have Zions National Park, Canyonlands and Arches.  Arches is a fun place.  The scenery is breathtaking.  In the North, the mountains are absolutely gorgeous and the skiing is world famous.  It really is a nice place.  (and I'm not just saying that because I live here)

I don't know that I have a least favorite state.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 2:20 am

Kind of makes sense, since so many placenames in California are Spanish rather than English.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/24/06 at 12:51 pm

Least favorite???

Oklahoma, hands down......worst state I've ever had the displeasure of setting foot in.  Never have witnessed such a hypocritical state in my entire life.

If it's bad for you or your health, Okie ranks right up near the top, if it's good for you or has something to do with a higher standard of living, it ranks down near the bottom, if not the bottom....

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/24/06 at 12:58 pm

Least- Iowa... seriously, wtf? Leave.

Favorite- I'm not sure why I love Illinois so much. I've never even been there. I'm dying to go to Chicago, though. I love Pennsylvania, too. We're the second most haunted state, yanno!

Written By: Brian06 on 12/24/06 at 1:01 pm

Favorite- I'm not sure why I love Illinois so much. I've never even been there. I'm dying to go to Chicago, though. I love Pennsylvania, too. We're the second most haunted state, yanno!

Ohio pwns Pennsylvania.  :P  ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/24/06 at 1:02 pm

Oh, it's on now, Brian...

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/24/06 at 1:02 pm

Not while Beth's in it!

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/24/06 at 1:03 pm

Don't forget Minnesoolta, the home to every fanny pack, sun hat wearing fat lady on Earth.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/24/06 at 1:03 pm

Omfg, holy poop. I completely forgot about my utter hatred for Minnesota. Holy... Ugh, If you live in Minnesota, I suggest you wash your skin completely off of your body.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/24/06 at 1:04 pm

Oh, it's on now, Brian...

Bring it on.....  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 12/24/06 at 1:04 pm

Omfg, holy poop. I completely forgot about my utter hatred for Minnesota. Holy... Ugh, If you live in Minnesota, I suggest you wash your skin completely off of your body.

Oh yeah I was there, it sux.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/24/06 at 1:05 pm

Oh yeah I was there, it sux.

Oh Lord, Brian, I am so sorry. Rest your head upon my bosom, Darling.. =(

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/24/06 at 1:06 pm

Except for Bob Dylan.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/24/06 at 1:06 pm

javascript:void(0);
Shocked
Oh Lord, Brian, I am so sorry. Rest your head upon my bosom, Darling.. =(

I remember I swam in a lake filled with leeches.  :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/24/06 at 4:05 pm

Favorite = North Carolina

Hate = Kansas

Written By: La Roche on 12/24/06 at 5:45 pm

Aalabama, Kansas and Iowa still hold places in my top 5 worst states.... I'm now gonna add Arkansas and Oklahoma. Why anybody would ever want to live there, ugh.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/24/06 at 5:50 pm

Georgia is slowly becoming a favorite, though it will never surpass Illinois.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/24/06 at 5:53 pm

Aalabama, Kansas and Iowa still hold places in my top 5 worst states.... I'm now gonna add Arkansas and Oklahoma. Why anybody would ever want to live there, ugh.

I'll tell ya..I thought the area around Oklahoma City was bad until I got out in the panhandle area....

On interstate 44 I think it is, just north of OKC...in the divide between the north/south lanes is a "State Forest" 4 or 5 scraggly trees that are more dead than alive......

I was under the impression that a city with over a million people would be somewhat, shall we say, sophisticated???  Was I ever wrong....out of the 3 states I worked in while I was down there, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico, New Mexico was the best, and the Lubbock Texas area wasn't too bad, but Okie was by far the worst.....

Written By: La Roche on 12/24/06 at 5:57 pm

I'll tell ya..I thought the area around Oklahoma City was bad until I got out in the panhandle area....

On interstate 44 I think it is, just north of OKC...in the divide between the north/south lanes is a "State Forest" 4 or 5 scraggly trees that are more dead than alive......

I was under the impression that a city with over a million people would be somewhat, shall we say, sophisticated???  Was I ever wrong....out of the 3 states I worked in while I was down there, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico, New Mexico was the best, and the Lubbock Texas area wasn't too bad, but Okie was by far the worst.....

I've gone through Oklahoma 4 times.. it got worse every time.

Texas on the other hand, Love it. Been to south texas, west texas, north texas, love it. Great state.

Written By: tv on 12/24/06 at 10:04 pm

Least favorite: New York State, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Its not that those 3 states suck its just there is nothing out there and its all farmland. Maybe these are 2 states you would like to live in when you are 60 and 70 or whenever you retire.

Favorite: New Jersey(because I live there) However a city like Newark and Camden are bad though. New Jersey gets a bad rap I feel more than any other stateas proven on this board. I like living because Its ethically diverse and there's alot of people, lots of restarunts to hang it out, lots of shopping centers, the Jersey Shore is cool. I like Maryland too. Baltimore has alot of good things like the Babe Ruth Museum, and the Baltimore Zoo and the Aquaruium. Massachusetts: its like New Jersey except not as populated. Florida: I like Florida alot but the weather in the summer time is crazy there: its sunny out everyday until 3 pm and than it rains everyday from 4pm-7:30 pm and than it gets dark outside.

Written By: Abix on 12/25/06 at 9:24 pm

Don't forget Minnesoolta, the home to every fanny pack, sun hat wearing fat lady on Earth.

Hey!! I take offense to this! I ... Never wore a ..... SUN HAT!!

Have ya been here? It's beautiful! I VOTE Minnesota as my favorite state!
I remember I swam in a lake filled with leeches.  :o

was it Leech Lake? (yes, there is a lake named Leech Lake here!)

We have about 9999 other lakes you could have tried for chrissakes!  Don't judge our state by 1 lake you swam in.

Our state has more to offer than the opinions of these trifling fools who speak with such disdain..  >:(

(my plug for the Minnesota board of tourism ends here.)

Written By: spaceace on 12/25/06 at 10:18 pm

Least favorite- West Virginia

Favorite - Maine

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/25/06 at 10:32 pm

Least fav. from an outsider's point of view, probably Alabama or Texas or Florida. Most: probably California or one of them smaller states way out east.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/25/06 at 10:49 pm

Least fav. from an outsider's point of view, probably Alabama or Texas or Florida. Most: probably California or one of them smaller states way out east.

My friend Cara had the funniest statement about Alabama.  Another mutual friend of ours was planning on going there and Cara had been there several times and she asked her what the state was like.  This is what Cara said: "Sh*t in a bucket, then put it on your head.  That's Alabama." 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/25/06 at 10:51 pm

California is actually not one of my favorite states despite my having lived there for 20 years.  Too expensive, people suck, politics suck...but the weather and scenery are definitely plusses.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/25/06 at 10:58 pm

California is actually not one of my favorite states despite my having lived there for 20 years.  Too expensive, people suck, politics suck...but the weather and scenery are definitely plusses.

Hey, I agree!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/25/06 at 11:03 pm

Least favorite: New York State, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Its not that those 3 states suck its just there is nothing out there and its all farmland. Maybe these are 2 states you would like to live in when you are 60 and 70 or whenever you retire.

then you must not have explored the entire state of Pa...there's LOTS of neat things to do (especially if you like history, or outdoor stuff).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/25/06 at 11:18 pm

Probably a sucky place to live, but it seems like a great place to visit. I'm not really interested in Hollywood or anything like that, though.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/25/06 at 11:23 pm

Probably a sucky place to live, but it seems like a great place to visit. I'm not really interested in Hollywood or anything like that, though.

There's plenty of beautiful places in California that are nowhere near LA or Hollywood.  Go up in Northern California near the mountains.....I hear there's some gorgeous scenery out there.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/25/06 at 11:27 pm

Least Favorite: Utah or Idaho

Most Favorite: California(Northern) or Florida(southern)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/26/06 at 6:06 pm

I've been to several states in the last few years, and compared to those, no, California does not suck to live. Yes, it's expensive, politics may be corrupt (but where are they not, I ask?), and not all the people suck, either.

You go down to L.A., and you'd be surprised at how it's rather modest to how they make it out to be. The only thing is the L.A. news people are pretty laid back. You can't take them seriously at all when they're playing Red Hot Chili Peppers as they go to commercial, lol.

But, come up to Northern California and you'll LOVE it here! Rice Cube is very right about some sucky people (as he may be speaking of the Yuppies of Danville/San Ramon/Alamo), but, for the most part - cities likes Concord, Walnut Creek, etc, are very family oriented.

Written By: DJ Midas on 12/26/06 at 8:17 pm

Favourite state - Arizona.  Awesome weather; I can drive a few hours north to see snow and beautiful red rock; I can drive to Vegas and LA in 6 hours or less, and flights there are equally cheap.  Plus you can't beat 300+ days of sunshine a year in Phoenix.

Least favourite - probably South Carolina or Florida.  Lived in SC from '92-'94.  Talk about travelling through a time warp.  And people there were slow as molasses.  No such thing as an express lane or fast food there - it's a misnomer.  And I just didn't care for Florida's coast.  NC and VA has some decent coastline, but I prefer the West Coast. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/27/06 at 6:18 pm

Favourite state - Arizona.  Awesome weather; I can drive a few hours north to see snow and beautiful red rock; I can drive to Vegas and LA in 6 hours or less, and flights there are equally cheap.  Plus you can't beat 300+ days of sunshine a year in Phoenix.

Least favourite - probably South Carolina or Florida.  Lived in SC from '92-'94.  Talk about travelling through a time warp.  And people there were slow as molasses.  No such thing as an express lane or fast food there - it's a misnomer.  And I just didn't care for Florida's coast.  NC and VA has some decent coastline, but I prefer the West Coast. 

I was in NC for about 2 1/2 weeks about 3 1/2 years ago and the coast line that I was in (the Outer Banks) was fairly nice and picturesque, but I do love the rugged beauty of California's golden coast. The Pacific may be colder than the Atlantic, but I still love it! I was also in VA, but we didn't travel up the Chesapeake area, so I wasn't able to see any of VA's coastline.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/27/06 at 6:19 pm

I am in Indiana now.  Indiana is alright.

Check for new replies or respond here...