inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What instrument(s) do you play?

Written By: chaka on 05/21/06 at 11:30 am

Do you play an instrument?
If so tell us what it is and how long you've been playing;I'm curious...
and also: do you consider yourself to be good at it?  ;)

Subject: Re: What instrument(s) do you play?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/21/06 at 11:47 am

Unlike everyone else in my family, I don't play any instruments... ???

Written By: Apricot on 05/21/06 at 2:20 pm

Cello: played the longest, but not as well as my other instruments. I'm the best in my school.
Baritone: Probably play the best, if only because of repetition and consistency in playing. Again, best in my school (though my section is close, he was actually the one who said I was better then him)
Piano: I'm well-versed in Beethoven. We're moving into Chopin soon.
Accordion: I'm not as good at this as I'd like to be, but I can at least sound halfway decent. It's harder then it seems.
Mouth Organ: I'm decent, but it's hard not to be when every note is in the right key.
Guitar: Self-taught for almost a year and a half, and I'm decent. Looking to expand my stock, I only have an Acoustic, an Electric, and one amp. I eventually want to get a lot of similar string instruments (lute, mandolin, etc.)
Ukelele: Same damn thing as a guitar, just in the key of B-flat. Easy.

Written By: Bobby on 05/21/06 at 2:27 pm

Learning the keyboard at the moment. I wrote this very small piece a while back. I called it 'The March of the Maisonettes'.  :)

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd2/5111/march%20of%20the%20maisonettes%20-%20mark%20II.mp3

Written By: chaka on 05/21/06 at 3:10 pm

Cello: played the longest, but not as well as my other instruments. I'm the best in my school.
Baritone: Probably play the best, if only because of repetition and consistency in playing. Again, best in my school (though my section is close, he was actually the one who said I was better then him)
Piano: I'm well-versed in Beethoven. We're moving into Chopin soon.
Accordion: I'm not as good at this as I'd like to be, but I can at least sound halfway decent. It's harder then it seems.
Mouth Organ: I'm decent, but it's hard not to be when every note is in the right key.
Guitar: Self-taught for almost a year and a half, and I'm decent. Looking to expand my stock, I only have an Acoustic, an Electric, and one amp. I eventually want to get a lot of similar string instruments (lute, mandolin, etc.)
Ukelele: Same damn thing as a guitar, just in the key of B-flat. Easy.

Man that's pretty amazing...!
I'd love to play as many instruments as you do,especially cello.
As for me,I play guitar,both acoustic and electric and I also play the violin.

Written By: Morton on 05/21/06 at 3:15 pm

Just the one; Keyboard. I play songs by recent bands (Coldplay and the like), but have yet to make my own song. I'm competent, i'd say. I have clumsy fingers at times, but once I know a song well enough I play it fine

Written By: chaka on 05/21/06 at 3:18 pm

What sometimes annoyes me is that I have my own band yet I never get the chance to play guitar because we already have 2 people doing just that.
Of course if I improve my violin "skills" I guess we could fit that into our songs..*wishfull thinking*

Written By: Morton on 05/21/06 at 3:22 pm

What sometimes annoyes me is that I have my own band yet I never get the chance to play guitar because we already have 2 people doing just that.
Of course if I improve my violin "skills" I guess we could fit that into our songs..*wishfull thinking*

I wish I knew enough people who know how to play an instrument, but, amazingly, out of me and my friends from school (7 of us, including me), only 2 of us can play something. And both of us play keyboard/piano  :P

Written By: Apricot on 05/21/06 at 3:30 pm

Just the one; Keyboard. I play songs by recent bands (Coldplay and the like), but have yet to make my own song. I'm competent, i'd say. I have clumsy fingers at times, but once I know a song well enough I play it fine

That's what I tend to do, actually.. I have the capabilities of playing Beethoven's 7th, yet I choose to play Gary Numan's "Cars". ;D

Written By: Morton on 05/21/06 at 3:34 pm

That's what I tend to do, actually.. I have the capabilities of playing Beethoven's 7th, yet I choose to play Gary Numan's "Cars". ;D

I wouldn't have the patience to play classical. If I wanna learn a song, it's got to be straightforward there and then. I don't think i'm accomplished enough to play classical anyway  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 05/21/06 at 3:37 pm

Guitar and some keys.

We had a musician thread at one point, but I haven't seen it in months.

Written By: Morton on 05/21/06 at 3:38 pm

Guitar and some keys.

We had a musician thread at one point, but I haven't seen it in months.

Yeah, the one Andrew made? It's probably buried on page 7 or something..

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/06 at 4:38 pm

I can play any and all instruments.  I just can't make good sounds come out of them ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/06 at 4:39 pm

Keyboard/Piano/Melodica/synth.. yanno, keyboard instruments... I guess I'm pretty good, I've been playing for about a year and a half, so I'm not great yet.

And yes, classical sounds nice, but more modern music is more fun to play.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/06 at 4:40 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: KKay on 05/21/06 at 4:57 pm

guitar, some bass sometimes...

still waiting for the inthe00s band to team up.

Written By: Tia on 05/21/06 at 5:45 pm

there was also a "show me your 'instrument'" thread, as i recall...

Written By: KKay on 05/21/06 at 5:49 pm

oh yeah...that was fun!
and no nudity- I was surprised.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/06 at 6:10 pm

Ah.. forgot to put my drums on there!

Oh yeah, I play drums, but just basic stuff.. I'm terrible with coordination.

Written By: Tia on 05/21/06 at 6:12 pm

Ah.. forgot to put my drums on there!

i know just enough to make people enraged with me.

i sure do love to try though!

Written By: Apricot on 05/21/06 at 6:17 pm

Psssht, anyone can do THAT.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/06 at 6:41 pm

Psssht, anyone can do THAT.

Shup.

Written By: La Roche on 05/21/06 at 9:31 pm

Drums: I'm fast but generally out of time.

I can play perfect double bass drums though.. not much else, basically once I get my feet running with the double bass I can just make a bit of high noise.

Trumpet: Well versed.
Cornet: Same damn thing.
Sax: It's interesting, If I really sat down for a while and practised, I'd be able to play to a decent standard.
Harmonia: Name a tune, I can make a noise that sounds like it.

I try.. and try.. and try to play the guitar.
I can play your basic stuff, bit of Purple, bit of Sabbath etc. Nobody has ever showed me, so what I do know I just learnt myself.  :P

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/21/06 at 10:38 pm

I took a couple years of music classes way back when I was in 4th and 5th grade, I played flute and then clarinette. I can also kind of play the keyboard, but I don't really play much anymore.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/21/06 at 11:06 pm

Piano, forever (since I was 9).  I'm good -- and I can read music and play classical, which I enjoy playing -- it's challenging and very expressive.  And I'm just now -- over the past few years -- learning to improvise a bit.  Anyway, main instrument #1.

Flute.  I'm good at this too except that I have no chops because I don't have much time to play.  But I started in 5th grade & went on to study music for two years in college, flute and piano as major instruments.

Guitar.  Very basic.  Self-taught.  Not great.

Percussion -- not a drum set, but I can keep a good rhythm with percussion toys and I love that.  I want to learn to play bongos or the congas and the like, in a more knowledgable and purposeful way.

Yes, I write music a bit for my own enjoyment.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/21/06 at 11:11 pm

What instrument(s) can I play? None!  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/06 at 1:35 am

Piano, forever (since I was 9).  I'm good -- and I can read music and play classical, which I enjoy playing -- it's challenging and very expressive.  And I'm just now -- over the past few years -- learning to improvise a bit.  Anyway, main instrument #1.

Flute.  I'm good at this too except that I have no chops because I don't have much time to play.  But I started in 5th grade & went on to study music for two years in college, flute and piano as major instruments.

Guitar.  Very basic.  Self-taught.  Not great.

Percussion -- not a drum set, but I can keep a good rhythm with percussion toys and I love that.  I want to learn to play bongos or the congas and the like, in a more knowledgable and purposeful way.

Yes, I write music a bit for my own enjoyment.

BONGOS KICK ASS!

I forgot.

I can play the Didgeridoo.

Written By: karen on 05/22/06 at 5:06 am

I learnt the recorder and the flute but hadn't played either for a long time until my daughter started learning the recorder at school.  I played the flute to a decent standard (Grade 5)

Written By: CeeKay on 05/22/06 at 7:48 am

BONGOS KICK ASS!

I forgot.

I can play the Didgeridoo.

The Didgeridoo is very cool.  I saw a guy play it in a performance last week and I was amazed at the sounds he could produce.

Good instrument!

Written By: KKay on 05/22/06 at 8:01 am

Are you going to play the bongos and read poetry?
Then I will be forced to bring you back to camp for reprogramming.

Actually CeeKay can do it all and it is another thing that makes her very cool.  I'd like to see you sit down and play Root Beer Rag.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/22/06 at 10:04 am

Are you going to play the bongos and read poetry?
Then I will be forced to bring you back to camp for reprogramming.

Not yet, but I read while other people play bongos.  Don't worry.  The hippy poet chick is only one of many personas house in this body.  She's in rotation. 

Actually CeeKay can do it all and it is another thing that makes her very cool.  I'd like to see you sit down and play Root Beer Rag.

Thanks KK.  You're a sweetie.  (And I haven't played Root Beer Rag in forever.  Better brush up).

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/06 at 1:12 pm

The Didgeridoo is very cool.  I saw a guy play it in a performance last week and I was amazed at the sounds he could produce.

Good instrument!

If you get me a Didgeridoo I'll come to one of those weird hippy things with you and play it. AND! I won't maim anybody.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 05/22/06 at 10:49 pm

How about a vibraslap?  :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/22/06 at 11:14 pm

I have a Cumbia/Merengue song using those!

Written By: CeeKay on 05/22/06 at 11:27 pm

I LOVE the vibraslap!  Really -- I've played one.  They're very fun.  And I'm giving you karma for bringing it up.  :)

Written By: CeeKay on 05/22/06 at 11:28 pm

If you get me a Didgeridoo I'll come to one of those weird hippy things with you and play it. AND! I won't maim anybody.

Oooh.  It's a deal.  And it's good you promised not to maim anyone in the process 'cause...these poetry gatherings are very peaceful, as you can imagine.

Actually -- you should have guessed this -- I know someone who has a Didgeridoo so....come on over! :D

Written By: Tia on 05/24/06 at 10:04 am

somebody's gonna buy me a mellotron, right
?

Written By: KKay on 05/24/06 at 10:05 am

?

when you get me my theremin kit.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/24/06 at 10:21 am

?

A mellotron...hm...I'll have to look that one up.  What's a mellotron?
(opens a new window and googles "mellotron")
Ah...electronics...I'm phobic against electronic musical devices -- that's why I've never heard of it!

Written By: Tia on 05/24/06 at 10:22 am

when you get me my theremin kit.
shoo that would work. theremins are about 400 bucks. mellotrons are like 10,000.

Written By: KKay on 05/24/06 at 10:28 am

shoo that would work. theremins are about 400 bucks. mellotrons are like 10,000.

ok then I want one on a diamond encrusted stand. presented on a litter carried by laotian boys dipped in gold.

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 10:44 am

I've played a theremin.  There's one at the science centre near where my in-laws live.  Great fun!

Written By: MLB on 05/24/06 at 11:11 am

Violin, played all thru school years from about 8 years old to 16 or 17. 
    and I still own my first and the upgrade full size violin too.
Plus I  like playing keyboard, but I don't know proper piano chords or anything.  I like trying out all the tone and pitch buttons to see what I can get if I play the "Ode To Joy" or something else. 

Written By: Tia on 05/24/06 at 11:12 am

ok then I want one on a diamond encrusted stand. presented on a litter carried by laotian boys dipped in gold.
This is like the third time you've brought up Laotian boys. Should this be on the fetish thread?

Written By: KKay on 05/24/06 at 12:10 pm

This is like the third time you've brought up Laotian boys. Should this be on the fetish thread?

No, I just like the name of the country Laos...I mean, yes.

Check for new replies or respond here...