inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Autism, Aspergers, ADD, ADHD, Downs Syndrome

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/06 at 1:35 pm

How many of us are dealing with this in the family or among friends?  My son(15) has autism.  He is pretty high
functioning, and doesn't have self abuse or erratic behaviour.  They say that 1 in 166 children now are being diagnosed with some form of autism.

Subject: Re: Autism, Aspergers, ADD, ADHD, Downs Syndrome

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/22/06 at 1:42 pm

My neighbor's grandson has ADHD.  When he and my daughter first became friends he was really hard to be around, not listening, wild, hard to control.  He has since been put on medication, and there is quite a bit of difference in his behavior.  However, he's just not the same kid, he seems to have lost something once he started the meds.  Does that make sense?

How old was your son when he was diagnosed?

Written By: Paul on 05/22/06 at 1:49 pm

My best friend's son has Aspergers...

He can be quite a handful at times, but he is a wonderful kid...

(The son, not my best friend!)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/22/06 at 2:47 pm

My neighbor's grandson has ADHD.  When he and my daughter first became friends he was really hard to be around, not listening, wild, hard to control.  He has since been put on medication, and there is quite a bit of difference in his behavior.  However, he's just not the same kid, he seems to have lost something once he started the meds.  Does that make sense?

Absolutely.  I'd say he's not on the right meds.  My sons have had a few friends that were like that.....one was so overmedicated, he was a zombie most of the time.  My middle son has ADD (not ADHD) and Central Auditory Processing Disorder.  He's on medication, but is still the "same kid" he used to be, it's just easier for him to focus and process what's being said to him.

There's also a boy in our Scouts pack who has autism & Asperger's Syndrome.  The bad part was that the parents didn't TELL anyone so we all thought he was just misbehaving because he didn't get his way.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/22/06 at 3:00 pm

Absolutely.  I'd say he's not on the right meds.  My sons have had a few friends that were like that.....one was so overmedicated, he was a zombie most of the time.  My middle son has ADD (not ADHD) and Central Auditory Processing Disorder.  He's on medication, but is still the "same kid" he used to be, it's just easier for him to focus and process what's being said to him.

There's also a boy in our Scouts pack who has autism & Asperger's Syndrome.  The bad part was that the parents didn't TELL anyone so we all thought he was just misbehaving because he didn't get his way.

Exactly!!  What I notice about him the most is that his eyes look 'dead'.  I guess he needs to have his meds changed. 

Written By: Gis on 05/22/06 at 3:11 pm

My nephew has ADD he's been on Ritalin for about a year now. It helps him concentrate better at school but he still has some problems there. Other than that he's a great kid, busy playing the guitar all the time and planning to be a rock star or a skateboarding champ !

Written By: Gis on 05/22/06 at 3:13 pm

One of my godchildren has been diagnosed as Bipolar. Poor thing was only 11 and hearing voices but thankfully got diagnosed and is now doing really well.He's a great kid and I'm very proud of him.

Written By: chaka on 05/22/06 at 3:15 pm

(as some of you already know),my brother who's 22 this year,suffers from autism.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/06 at 4:13 pm

There are parents who, for whatever foolish reason. will not tell people because they don't want to treat their child differently.  They have to get a grip, they are different, and, although in many ways they should be treated the same as "typical" children, there has to be that awareness that there is a difference.  They aren't doing anyone any favors, least of all the child.

Getting the meds right is important.  Too many times people take what is given them, not realizing that there are alternative meds if a child seems to be overmedicated, or just not the same.  Another thing is using the same medication for years.  Medications should take into consideration physical and hormonal changes, so when 12 or 13 rolls around they don't go absolutely nuts.  The thing to remember is that these meds are amphetemines(speed).  They are addictive, and can cause personality changes(not for the better) so they have to be monitored carefully.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/06 at 4:14 pm

(as some of you already know),my brother who's 22 this year,suffers from autism.

Does your brother live at home, or in a group home?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 4:22 pm

I think ADHD is ridiculously overdiagnosed, but I won't get into that.

Some moron from my school in the '90s, the "age of overdiagnosis", tried to diagnose me with Aspergher's because I was way ahead of my grade level and didn't have great social skills. Of course, I don't have it...I just had bad social skills with kids because I'm an only child and talked early and such, so I related better to adults.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/06 at 4:23 pm

Robin has Asperger's and I have OCD

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/06 at 5:52 pm

I think ADHD is ridiculously overdiagnosed, but I won't get into that.

Some moron from my school in the '90s, the "age of overdiagnosis", tried to diagnose me with Aspergher's because I was way ahead of my grade level and didn't have great social skills. Of course, I don't have it...I just had bad social skills with kids because I'm an only child and talked early and such, so I related better to adults.

There is a lot of over diagnosis going on in wealthier neighborhoods.  Parents actually pay to have their child diagnosed so that they can get consessions on tests.  In the working class, and poorer neighborhoods it is much more difficult to get a diagnosis.  School systems discourage teachers from suggesting to parents to get the diagnosis because of the financial burden put on the school systems.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 5:59 pm

There is a lot of over diagnosis going on in wealthier neighborhoods.  Parents actually pay to have their child diagnosed so that they can get consessions on tests.  In the working class, and poorer neighborhoods it is much more difficult to get a diagnosis.  School systems discourage teachers from suggesting to parents to get the diagnosis because of the financial burden put on the school systems.

Yeah, I come from an area that's middle-class to rich, and people want to get their kids diagnosed if they don't get straight As ::) .

Written By: roygerdodger on 03/15/08 at 6:43 pm

I have autism, too.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/15/08 at 7:38 pm

One of the boys in my Sunday School class is high functioning autistic.  He is a sweet boy.  He has his moments of acting out, but I think he behaves better than the other kids.  He is always so proud of himself when he behaves and gets a prize at the end of class. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/15/08 at 11:05 pm

My brother has ADHD.  He has trouble concentrating, talks a mile a minute, intrusive.  It's amazing though how accepting he is of other people's shortcomings.

Check for new replies or respond here...