inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Live in the UK?

Written By: jackas on 05/24/06 at 7:09 am

Does anyone live near Cambridge or Thetford? 

Also, what is Breckland?

There is an Air Force Base near the town of Mildenhall that we have a chance of getting stationed at.  I was just wondering what the area is like.

Subject: Re: Live in the UK?

Written By: Paul on 05/24/06 at 7:26 am

I don't, but have visited...fantastic and very historical city, is Cambridge...

Also, what is Breckland?

Let 'wiki' be your guide...!!

There is an Air Force Base near the town of Mildenhall that we have a chance of getting stationed at.  I was just wondering what the area is like.

RAF Mildenhall I've heard of...not been there, but in all, it's a pleasant enough part of the world...

(At least you won't be near London!)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/24/06 at 7:32 am

Also, what is Breckland?

So you're in the Airforce? What's that like? Do you get to pilot multi-million dollar fighter planes?

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 7:40 am

It's about 80 miles away from me.  I've been orienteering in the area a couple of times.

Flattish countryside, small towns.  Would be very pleasant I should imagine.

Written By: Bobby on 05/24/06 at 8:26 am

I'm afraid I don't know much about Cambridge. It's quite a posh place and has a prestigious university.

Written By: La Roche on 05/24/06 at 8:31 am

Also, what is Breckland?

Mildenhall is an acceptable base.
I have to remember.

It's not the largest.

I'm trying to remember if it's Lakenheath or Alconbury that's the largest.

All are fine bases to be stationed at, the only problem being that they're all a fair few miles from just about anything.

I think Lakenheath is the largest unless they have been gradually shutting things down.

Written By: jackas on 05/24/06 at 12:35 pm

Gee thanks everyone!  If we end up out there we would actually be going to Lakenheath AFB.  From what I understand it's about five miles from Mildenhall.  And as it sounds, just like most AF bases.......out in the middle of nowhere.

Tell me about London, Paul....

Written By: jackas on 05/24/06 at 12:50 pm

So you're in the Airforce? What's that like? Do you get to pilot multi-million dollar fighter planes?

No, I'm not in the AF my husband is.  I used to be, got out three years ago.  I liked it a lot.  It's just like any other job, except you don't have to worry about what you're going to wear everyday. :P  I didn't pilot any planes though, I worked in accounting and finance.  My husband is a Weapons System Officer (WSO)......in the backseat of an F-15E.  The WSO basically navigates the plane and is in control of the weapons systems and can fly the plane if necessary.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/RAF_F-15E_Strike_Eagle_Iraq_2004.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/06 at 1:02 pm

Also, what is Breckland?

I have watched cricket in Cambridge.

Written By: jackas on 05/24/06 at 1:05 pm

I have watched cricket in Cambridge.

Did you like the area?

Written By: Paul on 05/24/06 at 1:07 pm

Tell me about London, Paul....

It's overpriced, overrated, overcrowded and if it wasn't for the fact that I need to trot up there five times a week to get paid...I wouldn't go anywhere near it!

Of course, there are those that may disagree!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/06 at 1:10 pm

Did you like the area?
Yes, and Oxford too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/06 at 1:11 pm

It's overpriced, overrated, overcrowded and if it wasn't for the fact that I need to trot up there five times a week to get paid...I wouldn't go anywhere near it!

If you happened to live in Central London in the first place, you really do not notice the travelling costs (especially when you walk to work)

Written By: jackas on 05/24/06 at 1:13 pm

Sounds like California. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/24/06 at 1:34 pm

Sounds like California. 

'Overpriced' and 'overrated' could apply to Hawaii, too...

Thankfully, it's not 'overcrowded' here...

Written By: Paul on 05/24/06 at 2:19 pm

If you happened to live in Central London in the first place, you really do not notice the travelling costs (especially when you walk to work)

Probably not, but living in Central London doesn't come cheap!

(Mind you, living 14 miles from it doesn't come cheap either!)

I wonder if that nice Mr. Blair will allow me to pitch a tent in Parliament Square?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/06 at 2:20 pm

I wonder if that nice Mr. Blair will allow me to pitch a tent in Parliament Square?
I doubt it, how about another London park?

Written By: La Roche on 05/24/06 at 11:10 pm

Gee thanks everyone!  If we end up out there we would actually be going to Lakenheath AFB.  From what I understand it's about five miles from Mildenhall.  And as it sounds, just like most AF bases.......out in the middle of nowhere.

Oh, you'll be fine then.

I was wondering what would posses them to actually station you at Mildenhall.
They're not far apart at all but if you were actually interested in doing anything whatsoever than Lakenheath would be better.
There are a few bars and a bowling alley last time I was there.
BX and Commercary are both of a decent size.

By the way, aren't you down in South Carolina now?

I'm trying to remember the names of the bases I stayed at in North and South Carolina.
I'll have to look it up.

Written By: Gis on 05/25/06 at 3:21 am

My Dad was in the R.A.F and I have been to a fair few airshows at Mildenhall over the years.
It's a nice area of the country, but then I like the countryside and quiet !

Written By: Gis on 05/25/06 at 3:24 am

Living in Oxford is hard as well. The cost of living is the same as London but they refuse to give us weighting so it's horribly expensive. We are trying to find a bigger house to rent but our budget stretches to a shoebox ! Oh and of course we can't get a mortgage because apparently we don't earn enough between us to possibly be able to pay it off, and yet we pay more in rent than if we had a mortgage - go figure. 

Written By: Paul on 05/25/06 at 6:52 am

Living in Oxford is hard as well. The cost of living is the same as London but they refuse to give us weighting so it's horribly expensive. We are trying to find a bigger house to rent but our budget stretches to a shoebox ! Oh and of course we can't get a mortgage because apparently we don't earn enough between us to possibly be able to pay it off, and yet we pay more in rent than if we had a mortgage - go figure. 

I've tried to and no, I can't figure...!!

Once again, a wonderful piece of 'inaction' by successive governments leading to a massive problem (which only 'ye plebs' end up suffering for...)

(Why do we pay these people...?!!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/06 at 12:26 pm

Everytime I go to Oxford, I always find it full of students.

Written By: Gis on 05/26/06 at 3:13 am

Them and french school kids on exchange and japanese tourists !

Written By: karen on 05/26/06 at 3:20 am

Bloody students

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 4:15 am

Bloody students

Well, one of the world's most famous Universities IS in the town. Well it basically IS the town, let alone it's reason for existing.

Written By: karen on 05/26/06 at 4:18 am

Well, one of the world's most famous Universities IS in the town. Well it basically IS the town, let alone it's reason for existing.

I know.  I also live in a university town and work at the university (not Cambridge or Oxford) and quite a few people here know that, hence my comment.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 4:50 am

I know.  I also live in a university town and work at the university (not Cambridge or Oxford) and quite a few people here know that, hence my comment.

We had a lecturer who did research at Oxford Brookes University - I know it's not 'Oxford Oxford' but yeah, anyway, we had to do this thing about public transport in Oxford and surrounds. It was quite interesting.

Written By: Gis on 05/26/06 at 8:21 am

link=topic=19995.msg916205#msg916205 date=1148637029]
We had a lecturer who did research at Oxford Brookes University - I know it's not 'Oxford Oxford' but yeah, anyway, we had to do this thing about public transport in Oxford and surrounds. It was quite interesting.
Really, it was interesting??  :o Seriously we have had introduced in the last two years the 'Oxford Transport Strategy' which has reduced Oxford's traffic infrastructure to chaos, good old Oxford City Council you gotta love 'em..........NOT ! I still can't forgive them for knocking down the old station to build the monstrosity that is the Sa-id Buisness School, but oh how loudly money talks.

Actually Brookes is getting absorbed into the whole Uni thing now it is no longer a Polytechnic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/06 at 11:13 am

Bloody students
;D

Written By: karen on 05/26/06 at 11:15 am

Really, it was interesting??   :o Seriously we have had introduced in the last two years the 'Oxford Transport Strategy' which has reduced Oxford's traffic infrastructure to chaos, good old Oxford City Council you gotta love 'em..........NOT ! I still can't forgive them for knocking down the old station to build the monstrosity that is the Sa-id Buisness School, but oh how loudly money talks.

Actually Brookes is getting absorbed into the whole Uni thing now it is no longer a Polytechnic.

Do you reckon it will merge with the real Oxford eventually?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/26/06 at 12:24 pm

Also, what is Breckland?

I think you really need to focus on coming back to sunny California. There are many areas not as over-crowded and over-priced as people think. And, there are some really good schools. And you've already got a bucket load of friends and family here.  8)

Written By: jackas on 05/26/06 at 4:28 pm

Oh, you'll be fine then.

I was wondering what would posses them to actually station you at Mildenhall.
They're not far apart at all but if you were actually interested in doing anything whatsoever than Lakenheath would be better.
There are a few bars and a bowling alley last time I was there.
BX and Commercary are both of a decent size.

By the way, aren't you down in South Carolina now?

I'm trying to remember the names of the bases I stayed at in North and South Carolina.
I'll have to look it up.

I'm in N. Carolina now.  The base is called Seymour Johnson......insert joke here____________________________________....... :P

The AF bases in North Carolina are Seymour Johnson and Pope AFB.  South Carolina has Charleston and Shaw AFB.

Written By: jackas on 05/26/06 at 4:30 pm

I think you really need to focus on coming back to sunny California. There are many areas not as over-crowded and over-priced as people think. And, there are some really good schools. And you've already got a bucket load of friends and family here.  8)

8)

I'll come back someday....under duress. :P

Written By: La Roche on 05/26/06 at 8:31 pm

I'm in N. Carolina now.  The base is called Seymour Johnson......insert joke here____________________________________....... :P

The AF bases in North Carolina are Seymour Johnson and Pope AFB.  South Carolina has Charleston and Shaw AFB.

I remember Charleston.
In fact, I recall nearly drowning in the pool there.

I have no recollection of Seymour Johnson or Pope but I know I was at one of them.  :P

Written By: jackas on 05/27/06 at 6:38 am

I remember Charleston.
In fact, I recall nearly drowning in the pool there.

I have no recollection of Seymour Johnson or Pope but I know I was at one of them.  :P

Hmmmm....sounds like a lot of drinking was going on. ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/27/06 at 6:56 am

8)

I'll come back someday....under duress. :P
duress is ok, we don't mind. You'll at least visit the family here so they can see the kids and probably pass right thru good ol El Sob. on the way.

Written By: jackas on 05/27/06 at 7:37 am

duress is ok, we don't mind. You'll at least visit the family here so they can see the kids and probably pass right thru good ol El Sob. on the way.

Uh-oh, I'm in trouble.....http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/3.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/27/06 at 7:56 am

Uh-oh, I'm in trouble.....http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/3.gif
Trouble with who, not me  ;)

Written By: jackas on 05/27/06 at 7:57 am

Trouble with who, not me  ;)

8)

Written By: La Roche on 05/27/06 at 9:52 am

Hmmmm....sounds like a lot of drinking was going on. ;D

No, shockingly.

I just didn't commit them to memory.

Check for new replies or respond here...