inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Guitars

Written By: La Roche on 05/24/06 at 11:32 pm

So, as I said in the 'Waddayagonnadotodaybitch' thread I'm looking at buying a new guitar.

I'm leaning towards an ESP because they tend to be as well made as just about anything you can buy, but without the extra you pay to have 'Gibson' on your axe.

What do the resident experts think?

I'm looking to spend around $1200 - $1800.

I want 24 frets as opposed to 22 and I'm a fan of Mahogany.

Subject: Re: Guitars

Written By: KKay on 05/25/06 at 12:04 am

So, as I said in the 'Waddayagonnadotodaybitch' thread I'm looking at buying a new guitar.

I'm leaning towards an ESP because they tend to be as well made as just about anything you can buy, but without the extra you pay to have 'Gibson' on your axe.

I just saw one online for 899. then you can give me the balance. and you'll be really happy that yu did a nice thing.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002E53JW.01-AIMZUKBRH6H15._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Written By: ragebass on 05/25/06 at 3:03 am

Check out the ESP Ltd. Deluxe EC-1000 or the EC-400. Both have mahogany necks with 24 frets and the Les Paul shape but the EC-400 has a mahagony body also. Price range wise the EC-1000 lists at $1150 and the EC-400 goes for about $900. Good luck in your search. ESP is a good choice - I never owned one but I've never heard anyone complain about them either.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/25/06 at 8:30 am

For all I know about music and instruments....I know nothing about guitars.  But I'll ask the guys a the shop.

Written By: Tia on 05/25/06 at 9:32 am

what about a jackson?

for that price you might be able to pick up a PRS. they seem to have come down. although i'm a gibson/fender guy myself.

i need to change the pickups on my fat strat. the guys are yelling at me about the tone.

Written By: La Roche on 05/25/06 at 12:01 pm

I just saw one online for 899. then you can give me the balance. and you'll be really happy that yu did a nice thing.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002E53JW.01-AIMZUKBRH6H15._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

S'ok.. you just have to ask.

Check out the ESP Ltd. Deluxe EC-1000 or the EC-400. Both have mahogany necks with 24 frets and the Les Paul shape but the EC-400 has a mahagony body also. Price range wise the EC-1000 lists at $1150 and the EC-400 goes for about $900. Good luck in your search. ESP is a good choice - I never owned one but I've never heard anyone complain about them either.

I like ESP, I used to play around all the time and then stopped but I always prefferd them. I'm a fan of the BC Rich as well, simply because they make good quality guitars without the big price tag.
The EC-1000 is nice.
I've been looking at maybe the LTD Axxion.

For all I know about music and instruments....I know nothing about guitars.  But I'll ask the guys a the shop.

Good work.

what about a jackson?

for that price you might be able to pick up a PRS. they seem to have come down. although i'm a gibson/fender guy myself.

i need to change the pickups on my fat strat. the guys are yelling at me about the tone.

I couldn't even find prices for Jackson's.

I love your Zakk custom, but dang, those run to a high tune don't they?

Written By: Tia on 05/25/06 at 12:04 pm

My zakke was 850, and I love the tone of it. it has EMP humbuckers, but they're not active. I think on the standard Gibson they're probably active but I bet the Gibson zakke's like 2 grand.

And you gotta be ready for everybody to comment -- whoa weird-lookin' guitar man! it's possible to be too beautiful.

Written By: La Roche on 05/25/06 at 12:05 pm

My zakke was 850, and I love the tone of it. it has EMP humbuckers, but they're not active. I think on the standard Gibson they're probably active but I bet the Gibson zakke's like 2 grand.

And you gotta be ready for everybody to comment -- whoa weird-lookin' guitar man! it's possible to be too beautiful.

$850.. where from?

I do love it and have wanted one for some time.

You say the sound is good, how does it take down tuned abuse?

Written By: Tia on 05/25/06 at 12:27 pm

$850.. where from?

I do love it and have wanted one for some time.

You say the sound is good, how does it take down tuned abuse?
I got it at guitar center, I think the MSR is 799. tuned down -- i use 9 gauge strings so not necessarily that great, lot of fret buzz. But with thicker gauge and raising the action a bit I'm sure youd be fine.

Zakk's got some other funky design guitars too, I wonder if any others have been released.

Written By: Apricot on 05/25/06 at 2:22 pm

I don't know much beyond Stratocaster, sadly.. so I'm not much help. What have you used in the past?

Written By: La Roche on 05/25/06 at 2:24 pm

I got it at guitar center, I think the MSR is 799. tuned down -- i use 9 gauge strings so not necessarily that great, lot of fret buzz. But with thicker gauge and raising the action a bit I'm sure youd be fine.

Zakk's got some other funky design guitars too, I wonder if any others have been released.

Just yellow & black and camo as far as I'm aware.

Ok, as I'm sure you would know, everything is down tuned with me.

Written By: Tia on 05/25/06 at 2:28 pm

Just yellow & black and camo as far as I'm aware.

Ok, as I'm sure you would know, everything is down tuned with me.
There was a hex-pickup guitar synth unit at guitar center for 500 and change. you can simulate all synth patches (organ, woodwinds, waveforms), simulate special tunings, twelve-string, drop tunings. It was really calling to me, calling to me. although in my current act there wouldn't be much call for it.

I guess metal purists would have your hide for using a synth to simulate a drop C or something.
I saw some picture of him in a magazine playing some other guitar I didn't recognize. I'm sure it's on the net somewhere.

Written By: La Roche on 05/25/06 at 2:32 pm

There was a hex-pickup guitar synth unit at guitar center for 500 and change. you can simulate all synth patches (organ, woodwinds, waveforms), simulate special tunings, twelve-string, drop tunings. It was really calling to me, calling to me. although in my current act there wouldn't be much call for it.

I guess metal purists would have your hide for using a synth to simulate a drop C or something.
I saw some picture of him in a magazine playing some other guitar I didn't recognize. I'm sure it's on the net somewhere.

Synth's are evil, they display a lack of talent and should be removed from the earth.
That being said, you can make some cool sounds.

Written By: Tia on 05/25/06 at 2:41 pm

I was big on trying to learn little guitars, that van halen song, which requires going from a nylon string to a 12-string electric to a six string electric, all in different tunings, in real time. that'd be the real practical reason for getting something like that, to be able to change tunings just by stomping a pedal. I was hoping that boss gt-8 would be able to do it but no luck. And its octave-splitter sounds like a squealing rodent. Okay for low octaves but the high-octave sound is LAME. Boss just can't nail that octave thing.

Written By: La Roche on 05/25/06 at 2:48 pm

I was big on trying to learn little guitars, that van halen song, which requires going from a nylon string to a 12-string electric to a six string electric, all in different tunings, in real time. that'd be the real practical reason for getting something like that, to be able to change tunings just by stomping a pedal. I was hoping that boss gt-8 would be able to do it but no luck. And its octave-splitter sounds like a squealing rodent. Okay for low octaves but the high-octave sound is LAME. Boss just can't nail that octave thing.

And that was what.. $500?

Complain.

Written By: Tia on 05/25/06 at 2:53 pm

And that was what.. $500?

Complain.
Well, I didn't get it. it's somewhere behind redoing the pickups on my strat in the musical to-get list.

Written By: Tia on 05/25/06 at 2:56 pm

Oh, you mean the boss thing? it sounds phenomenal. The high-octave bit is the only thing that sounds bad. I think that's one of the things where you need a dedicated unit.

The harmonizer sounds good.

Written By: La Roche on 05/25/06 at 2:58 pm

Well, I didn't get it. it's somewhere behind redoing the pickups on my strat in the musical to-get list.

Oh Ok.

See, I need to get a new P.A as well.. and I blew my Crate a while back.
A lot of my stuff dosen't work here or needs a converter (which are more expensive than they are worth).

I still need to bite the bullet and ship my electric drums  :)

I got like a 400 pound.. I guess.. $700 set from premier.. all electric pads, they kick ass but it's gonna cost so much to ship 'em.

Oh, you mean the boss thing? it sounds phenomenal. The high-octave bit is the only thing that sounds bad. I think that's one of the things where you need a dedicated unit.

The harmonizer sounds good.

That's what I meant.

OK, I wanna play with it, might make the trip at some point.

Check for new replies or respond here...