inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Desmond Dekker dies- ska/reggae fans mourn

Written By: KKay on 05/26/06 at 8:12 am

I have a big collection of his work..this is sad.

LONDON, England (AP) -- Desmond Dekker, who brought the sound of Jamaican ska music to the world with hits such as "Israelites," has died, his manager said Friday. He was 64.

Dekker, who lived in England, collapsed from an apparent heart attack at his home on Thursday, manager Delroy Williams said.

"It is such a shock, I don't think I will ever get over this," Williams said.

Dekker's 1969 song "Israelites," a Top 10 single in both Britain and the United States, was the first international hit produced by Jamaica's vibrant music scene. With its haunting vocals and irresistible rhythm, it introduced the world to ska, a precursor to reggae.

Subject: Re: Desmond Dekker dies- ska/reggae fans mourn

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/26/06 at 8:57 am

Rats, I love "Israelites".  DD was good  :)

That reminds me, i *must* look up all those words I don't understand in the lyrics  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/06 at 9:11 am

So sad, great memories of his song.

Desmond Dekker R.I.P.  :\'(

Written By: Bobby on 05/26/06 at 9:14 am

Yes, my dad had 'The Israelites' 45 single. Great song and he was certainly recognised as an established reggae singer.

Written By: Paul on 05/26/06 at 4:45 pm

That reminds me, i *must* look up all those words I don't understand in the lyrics  :D

And when you've mastered it, try getting hold of the follow-up, 'It Miek'...and see if you can make any sense of that!

Very sad to hear of the man's passing...certainly an originator, if not a legend...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/06 at 4:46 pm

And when you've mastered it, try getting hold of the follow-up, 'It Miek'...and see if you can make any sense of that!

Very sad to hear of the man's passing...certainly an originator, if not a legend...
I was surprised to learn that he lived in London.

Written By: Paul on 05/26/06 at 4:50 pm

I was surprised to learn that he lived in London.

He actually lived a short bus ride away from me sometime in the 80s...in Forest Hill...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/26/06 at 6:00 pm

I was listening to "Israelites" on KFOG and thought, "How cool - they NEVER play this on regular radio" and I wondered what became of the man, but now I guess I know. That's just too bad. May he rest in peace.  :\'(

Written By: jaytee on 05/26/06 at 11:01 pm

Israelites is a terrific song.  I've got it somewhere in my collection and I'm going to play it!  RIP Desmond :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...