inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do You Ever Talk About inthe00s.com?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 7:44 am

Do you ever talk about inthe00s.com or things that happened here to friends, family, colleagues, strange homeless guys in the street? Do you talk about discussions you've had here/read as if they happened in real life? Do you ever refer people to inthe00s.com?

Subject: Re: Do You Ever Talk About inthe00s.com?

Written By: KKay on 05/29/06 at 7:48 am

I do. Its strange.

Case 1 would be repeating a really funny comment...in which case you dont' have to mention that the internet is the source. 
Case 2 is mentioning someone that you have a good relationship with.  now you want to comment more about the person; but it's not really a person, is it?
So I talkabout it, or I promote it to people I know will like it (my sisiter is here) but I think I edit my comments....

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 7:50 am

I do. Its strange.

Case 1 would be repeating a really funny comment...in which case you dont' have to mention that the internet is the source. 
Case 2 is mentioning someone that you have a good relationship with.  now you want to comment more about the person; but it's not really a person, is it?
So I talkabout it, or I promote it to people I know will like it (my sisiter is here) but I think I edit my comments....

What about when you're telling a person about a member here, and they push you for details? What if they ask, 'I see, so how did you meet say Howard (just as an example)? Would you mention you haven't actually met him in real life yet?

Written By: KKay on 05/29/06 at 7:55 am

What about when you're telling a person about a member here, and they push you for details? What if they ask, 'I see, so how did you meet say Howard (just as an example)? Would you mention you haven't actually met him in real life yet?

Sometimes I tell.  Sometimes I say "oh he's another record collector" "she's another 70s music fan" or "he's a student that I met"
mostly i'll tell. i only edit it for people that I know will react unusually.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 8:01 am

Sometimes I tell.  Sometimes I say "oh he's another record collector" "she's another 70s music fan" or "he's a student that I met"
mostly i'll tell. i only edit it for people that I know will react unusually.

In many ways the people here are no different to people you physically know. I probably know alot of them better than some of the few 'real' friends I have, which I seldom see much anyway these days (uni and all, seems everyone's too busy to catch up). I think the board allows one to share themselves without inhibitions etc., to really see other people as they really are. One day I'd love to meet at least some of the people on the boards...I'd sort of feel they were already like friends, if you know what I mean. I know I sound a bit batty, lol.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 8:04 am

It's strange, I've been on many message boards before.etc, but never felt 'connected' to any of them in the same was as this one. I never wanted to know more about them or makeonline friends with them or even meet them face to face. inthe00s.com is definitely the best forums on the net!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/06 at 10:54 am

I talk about this place all the time. I refer it to my friends (one or two have visited and even posted once or twice but they never seem to stick around  :\'( ).  But the person I talk to about it to more than anyone is the person I talk to the most-Carlos. And sometimes when I mention something about it, he will say, "Oh I got to respond". (That is when I let him use the computer  ;) :D ;D ).  So even though he is not here much, he knows what is going on.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 11:32 am

I talk about it sometimes but I prefer it to be my 'Cheers bar' type thing.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/06 at 11:53 am

I talk about it sometimes but I prefer it to be my 'Cheers bar' type thing.  :)

I have been to Cheers. This place is much better.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 11:56 am

I have been to Cheers. This place is much better.  ;D

Ha ha! How can it possibly be better without Norm and Cliff?  ;) ;D

It's more the ideology that everybody knows your name, you can hang out and talk about whatever you like (I can always provide the beer myself so that's alright).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/06 at 12:17 pm

Ha ha! How can it possibly be better without Norm and Cliff?  ;) ;D

It's more the ideology that everybody knows your name, you can hang out and talk about whatever you like (I can always provide the beer myself so that's alright).

I didn't see Norm or Cliff there either.  :D

I'm sure the beer you provide for yourself is A LOT cheaper than it would be at Cheers.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 12:20 pm

I didn't see Norm or Cliff there either.  :D

You sure know how to shatter a man's illusions.  ;D

I'm sure the beer you provide for yourself is A LOT cheaper than it would be at Cheers.

Very true, very true . . .

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/29/06 at 4:45 pm

I talk to it to my mom. My co-worker at work sometimes helps me with some of the trivia, but she's cool with it. I think I told my brother about it and I recommended one my best friends to join, but I don't think she's joined. I don't talk to anyone else about it, unless it's something indirectly related to the messageboard, I just keep mum about it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/29/06 at 4:47 pm

Sometimes.  If I'm having a conversation with someone off the boards and they bring up something that was discussed on the boards, I'll mention where I had heard it and who brought it up, stuff like that.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/29/06 at 5:10 pm

I constantly talk about the site. It's gotten to the point where a guy I work
with is helping me create quizes, he always has ideas. One of these days I
will post a few of them.

Written By: Apricot on 05/29/06 at 5:12 pm

Yeah, I bring it up on a fairly routine basis.. whenever fun stuff happens that others can appreciate, I let them know.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/29/06 at 8:21 pm

A lot. In fact, I think me talking about it actually drove my friends away from the idea of ever joining.

Written By: Apricot on 05/29/06 at 8:22 pm

A lot. In fact, I think me talking about it actually drove my friends away from the idea of ever joining.

;D Same here.. my one friend was like "That sounds.. ghey, really."

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/29/06 at 8:24 pm

I wouldn't want my friends to join, so I don't talk about it. It's my respite from daily life.

Written By: La Roche on 05/29/06 at 11:46 pm

I wouldn't want my friends to join, so I don't talk about it. It's my respite from daily life.

Yeah.
I don't have to be 'on'. So I wouldn't want any of my pals to know.

Dosen't mean I've never mentioned things.

In fact, yesterday I made mention of a couple of things relating to the baseball thread.

"Oh, this guy I was having a chat with out in California was saying..."
(In reference to 'Rice Cube')

Written By: La Roche on 05/29/06 at 11:49 pm

I think some people still find it odd, but for almost everybody I ever grew up with, talking with people a long way away was an everday thing.

I was a big time tape trader because I lived in middle England and then southern France. This meant that I was sending letters and bootlegs to guys in the U.S, Canada, Australia, All over Europe, I even got a couple letters from a guy in Israel who was telling me all about the metal scene there.

I think the advent of the internet has been fantastic in bringing us all closer together. I really can't see what difference it makes. If anything, it's better, there have been times that some of you have wanted to "Cram that bigotted jerks words down his throat" I'm sure  ;) But because we can't, we discuss further.. and sometimes even find some middle ground.

I've learnt a lot from people here (Mr. Maxwell Smart springs immediatly to mind) and can't imagine why anybody would have a problem with that.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/30/06 at 12:58 am

I've told some members of my family about it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/30/06 at 12:59 am

Beth and I talk about it all the time!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 12:59 am

I constantly talk about the site. It's gotten to the point where a guy I work
with is helping me create quizes, he always has ideas. One of these days I
will post a few of them.

We should find creative words of promoting inthe00s.com...perhaps a giant banner from a helicopter? Or exposure on national TV?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/30/06 at 1:00 am

We should find creative words of promoting inthe00s.com...perhaps a giant banner from a helicopter? Or exposure on national TV?

That would be very expensive probably.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 1:00 am

Beth and I talk about it all the time!

How regularly do you see Beth anyway? Or do you live in the same house?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/30/06 at 7:11 am

How regularly do you see Beth anyway? Or do you live in the same house?

Technically, we don't live in the same house...but she stays here so much....she could easily say that this is her place of residence. I see her about every other day! :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 9:26 am

Technically, we don't live in the same house...but she stays here so much....she could easily say that this is her place of residence. I see her about every other day! :)

It'd be cool to have two houses you visit regularly like that. I'm 20 and I still live with the folks, but I don't think I'm ready to move out just yet. I definitely will when I graduate University in a couple of years and move interstate (hopefully)  :).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/06 at 10:10 am

I think some people still find it odd, but for almost everybody I ever grew up with, talking with people a long way away was an everday thing.

I was a big time tape trader because I lived in middle England and then southern France. This meant that I was sending letters and bootlegs to guys in the U.S, Canada, Australia, All over Europe, I even got a couple letters from a guy in Israel who was telling me all about the metal scene there.

I think the advent of the internet has been fantastic in bringing us all closer together. I really can't see what difference it makes. If anything, it's better, there have been times that some of you have wanted to "Cram that bigotted jerks words down his throat" I'm sure  ;) But because we can't, we discuss further.. and sometimes even find some middle ground.

I've learnt a lot from people here (Mr. Maxwell Smart springs immediatly to mind) and can't imagine why anybody would have a problem with that.

I know what you mean. When I was in my 20s, I had a couple of pen-pals from Europe and I thought that was pretty cool. But now that we are on-line, I have communicated with people from all over the world (many of them from this board but others from another place I used to frequent a lot). I think the internet definately makes the world smaller-which IMO is a good thing.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/30/06 at 2:59 pm

I've told some members of my family about it.

Same here. 

A few years ago I got my brother (and is wife) to sign up as members, but they didn't hang around for too long and never re-registered when the new board went up in 2004.

My closest friend from childhood is here though...she goes by the username of NbC.  :)

Written By: KKay on 05/30/06 at 3:01 pm

I mention a few people by their first names...as if they were "physically" and not "virtually" friends.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/06 at 4:45 pm

I tell people that I have buddies on an online forum but some of them don't seem to care.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 11:51 pm

I tell people that I have buddies on an online forum but some of them don't seem to care.

I guess internet message-boarding hasn't earned the respect it deserves...

Written By: CeeKay on 05/31/06 at 12:29 am

This is the third or fourth forum (over the past decade) where I've gotten to know people enough to talk about them to others.  People are used to hearing that from me.  "I have an internet friend who says...."  or "I was discussing this with some people on-line...."

I've met some of the people in person (not from this site).  I've sent and received photos and packages from others.  Talked to a couple on the phone.  So my friends are used to me talking about on-line people.  They might think it's a little odd, but more they think it's sort of interesting.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/31/06 at 3:17 am

If you've watched Narnia, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, this place kind of reminds me of the secret closet door that when the kids open it, they enter Narnia, a world of magic and wonderful beings, but it's a private world that not everyone knows about. I try not to talk about it too much with my family but once in awhile I'll talk about a friend in London or Canada, or Australia, or Pennsylvania or Florida and what cool people they are and once my daughter caught me calling someone here my friend and she replied "they're not your friend, you don't even know them, you've never met them, how do you know they are who they say they are, they could be anyone". WOW I guess i taught her well about online strangers and here she is scolding me for talking with online people. It was funny. The inthe00s community is quite unique and closely knit and I do refer to many of you as friends as we've gotten to know each other quite intimately, more than our physical friends sometimes. My music awareness and rock knowledge has vastly grown since coming here. this place is cool  8)

Written By: karen on 05/31/06 at 6:00 am

I do it fairly regularly.  My children are used to me saying that I'll ask someone I know from America or Australia about some question.  Or I'll mention discussions we've had about news items or whatever.  My husband once helped me put a quiz together.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 6:58 am

I do it fairly regularly.  My children are used to me saying that I'll ask someone I know from America or Australia about some question.  Or I'll mention discussions we've had about news items or whatever.  My husband once helped me put a quiz together.

Have I educated your children about Australia in some way?  ;)

Written By: KKay on 05/31/06 at 10:06 am

#1 - The first rule of inthe00s is, you do not talk about inthe00s.

#2 - The second rule of inthe00s is, you DO NOT talk about inthe00s.

#3 - If someone goes off topic, curses, makes a typo, the thread is over.

#4 - Two guys to a PM.

#5 - One PM at a time.

#6 - No shirts, no shoes.

#7 - Topics will go on as long as they have to.

#8 - If this is your first night at inthe00s, you have to post.
http://www.cinefile.biz/fight4.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/31/06 at 5:24 pm

#4 - Two guys to a PM.

#5 - One PM at a time.

Are those the rules Kay?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/31/06 at 5:27 pm

#4 - Two guys to a PM.

#5 - One PM at a time.

LOL!

Great reference.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/31/06 at 5:49 pm

I talk about it but they don't believe me.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/31/06 at 6:34 pm

I mention a few people by their first names...as if they were "physically" and not "virtually" friends.

I do that too. 

Written By: jackas on 05/31/06 at 7:57 pm

Yes and it always starts....This person on that messageboard I go onto.....

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 9:44 pm

Yes and it always starts....This person on that messageboard I go onto.....

You should tell them its called inthe00s.com - then they'll know to sign up next time.  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 05/31/06 at 10:43 pm

Are those the rules Kay?

She'll fix you if you don't follow them.

Written By: jackas on 06/01/06 at 1:14 am

You should tell them its called inthe00s.com - then they'll know to sign up next time.  ;)

I've actually got my sister to come on here, but she's never posted.  But, she does post in myspace on occasion....loser! :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:19 am

I've actually got my sister to come on here, but she's never posted.  But, she does post in myspace on occasion....loser! :D

Yeah I know, Myspace is totally ghey!

Written By: Howard on 06/01/06 at 3:50 pm

She'll fix you if you don't follow them.

Yeah? What'll happen?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:48 am

Lalalalala

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/07 at 12:59 am

saw a guest viewing this, so why not bump it lol

I've mentioned inthe00s on several other messageboards i have or once belong(ed) to, and have gotten a few members to join, some of who are still regulars here :)

My crowning achievement was accidentally spamming Carson Daly's blog.  He's got an actual MySpace page (which he often talks about on his show) and in his welcome blog, I posted a link to inthe00s lol  Naturally, my comment would have appeared as the last entry, and since there was like hundreds of pages of comments, I used my smarts and quoted the very first person to post in the blog, so my comment would appear on the first page :D

If you have a MySpace, you can go to his page, and you will see it

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=38464843&blogID=68759104&Mytoken=A0D00458-F8B5-4B83-AB0CC01DB3F5940C36821198

Written By: Gis on 05/08/07 at 1:25 am

I do talk about this place a fair amount too. Telling people facts or funny quotes. It usuallly starts with 'on the message board I go on..........'

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/08/07 at 1:37 am

In a roundabout way, but not really. I've casually mentioned to people that I post on forums online, and that I have a keen interest in pop culture history (especially the '80s), but don't really "talk" about it per se.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/07 at 7:14 am

I talk about this site to my girlfriend and I try not to go any further with this so she doesn't wind up getting suspicious.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/08/07 at 9:59 am

yes, I have mentioned it before to people.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/07 at 4:45 pm

I've told my job coach about this site that I've been on for 5 1/2 years and talking to people in cyberspace and been having loads of fun with everyone here.

Written By: KKay on 05/08/07 at 5:00 pm

only one person that I've told thinks i'm still sane.
the rest think it's weird.

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/08/07 at 5:10 pm

I told some friends about it and now they ALL wanna join too ::),if you see them ignore 'em, all they wanna do is embarrass me,i think i can do that all by myself :D

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/07 at 5:10 pm

only one person that I've told thinks i'm still sane.

.. and didn't I end up sleeping with her?

Written By: KKay on 05/08/07 at 5:29 pm

.. and didn't I end up sleeping with her?

I didnt' want to ruin a good person with your sickness.  nor with the inthe00s virus.

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/07 at 5:33 pm

I didnt' want to ruin a good person with your sickness.  nor with the inthe00s virus.

mmmm... ok..

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 05/08/07 at 7:20 pm

I've told my wife about it.

She'll be coming into the Office, and in the past, I've closed my window, or minimized it, so she can get her Office stuff done.

Once my new computer is ready, that will be no longer an issue.

"Of course, the only thing I tend to get out of her is, "That's nice, dear."
-Which means: I'm not interested, so whatever.

(Unless I'm talking about something that DOES strike interest!)

Written By: spaceace on 05/08/07 at 7:26 pm

Why yes I do.  Of course no one really understands. :(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/09/07 at 2:18 am

yes, I do but I'm secretive and protective of you guys and don't give the name out.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/07 at 6:55 am

Why yes I do.  Of course no one really understands. :(

No one understands us cyber people. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...