inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What accent do you speak?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 3:37 pm

I'm going with Option 1.

Subject: Re: What accent do you speak?

Written By: Morton on 05/31/06 at 3:38 pm

Been covered a million times before, Darko

Written By: chaka on 05/31/06 at 3:38 pm

English. (but is that an accent?)

Written By: chaka on 05/31/06 at 3:39 pm

Been covered a million times before, Darko

well we'll just do it again!  :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/31/06 at 3:40 pm

I'm from Chicago......I don't have an accent.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/31/06 at 3:40 pm

Hmm...I don't think I can put my 'accent' into any of these categories... ???

Written By: Paul on 05/31/06 at 4:28 pm

Gum Arabic...

Written By: Howard on 05/31/06 at 4:30 pm

English

Written By: jackas on 06/01/06 at 6:59 am

Well let's see....I'm from Southern California and I actually speak English, so no accent.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/01/06 at 7:29 am

I was bawn and raised in New Yawk, but ya don't have dat accent on da list.
(okay, I can have the general midwest accent too, depending on my mood and who I'm with)

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 7:39 am

English (East Midlands, though not anywhere like as bad as Bonnie from BB7)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 8:17 am

I have a pretty standard AUSSIE accent

It's funny how many Americans say they 'don't have an accent.' 'American' is an accent, is it not?  ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 8:19 am

I picked South African because I fancied a change.  ;D

Written By: KKay on 06/01/06 at 8:57 am

I picked option 1 HOWEVER.....
the northwest ofthe US has many insane accents unto itself and we don't really consider our accents to be 'general' or 'midwestern'
I speak Nooo Yawk....but southern Noo Yawk.  More like Noo Yawk/ Nooo Joisey.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/01/06 at 9:33 am

I was born and raised in New York, but have lived in the South for 17 years, so I guess I've got more of a Southern accent.

I dunno, I say "Y'all" which is a southern thing, but I say "G'eat" (did you eat?) which is a NY thing...

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 9:58 am

I was born and raised in New York, but have lived in the South for 17 years, so I guess I've got more of a Southern accent.

I dunno, I say "Y'all" which is a southern thing, but I say "G'eat" (did you eat?) which is a NY thing...

How do you pronounce 'Coffee'?

Written By: KKay on 06/01/06 at 10:00 am

cau-wuh-fee

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 10:02 am

cau-wuh-fee

Like Ray Romano? I always notice how Ray Romano says Coffee - like 'Cor-fee' cos it sounds so New York, lol.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/01/06 at 10:02 am

Caw-fee

Written By: KKay on 06/01/06 at 10:16 am

Like Ray Romano? I always notice how Ray Romano says Coffee - like 'Cor-fee' cos it sounds so New York, lol.

yeah...it's funny. we're from about 20 miles apart and speak very differently

Written By: La Roche on 06/01/06 at 10:27 am

I confuse people.

Here is a typical sentance.

'Welcome to Jack in the Box, how can I help you sir'
Me - "Hey, howayadoin mate, I'll get one of them Ciabatta Boiga's.
'Ok, that comes to four dollars and 69 cents.'
Me - "Waddayastoopid? I ain't paying fo-wuh freakin dollars for a dang Boiga.

Another favourite..

"What all are you's guys doin tanight.

Written By: KKay on 06/01/06 at 10:29 am

^ he has many voices...and the accent changes on every third word... I feel for the drive- thru window guy.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 10:36 am

I confuse people.

Another favourite..

You call people 'mate'? Are you English?

Written By: La Roche on 06/01/06 at 10:37 am

^ he has many voices...and the accent changes on every third word... I feel for the drive- thru window guy.

;D

I was telling you wasn't I, how much fun it is to mess with people.

I'll put on a thick French accent and then switch middle of the sentance to see what people do.  ;D

You call people 'mate'? Are you English?

I lived there for quite a while.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 10:37 am

;D

I was telling you wasn't I, how much fun it is to mess with people.

I'll put on a thick French accent and then switch middle of the sentance to see what people do.  ;D

I lived there for quite a while.

Oh I see, that would sound weird coming from an America tho, lol

Written By: Morton on 06/01/06 at 10:39 am

Mine would have to be English, I guess... middle-class north-eastern if we're being specific

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 10:40 am

Mine would have to be English, I guess... middle-class north-eastern if we're being specific

That's not specific at all if we're talking about English accents. There seems to be a different one for each village!

Is yours a Geordie accent? I know a guy at our school you had a Geordie accent - he was from Middlesbrough. Talked so fast I could barely understand a word he was saying!

Written By: Morton on 06/01/06 at 10:42 am

That's not specific at all if we're talking about English accents. There seems to be a different one for each village!

Is yours a Geordie accent? I know a guy at our school you had a Geordie accent - he was from Middlesbrough. Talked so fast I could barely understand a word he was saying!

No, mackem (from Sunderland). For anyone who doesn't live in the north east or has never visited the north east, the two are very hard to distinguish. On top of that you have a sort of 'comprimised' accent from South Shields, a slightly different one from Middlesbrough, and another from Gateshead. We all speak fairly quickly though

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 10:45 am

No, mackem (from Sunderland). For anyone who doesn't live in the north east or has never visited the north east, the two are very hard to distinguish. On top of that you have a sort of 'comprimised' accent from South Shields, a slightly different one from Middlesbrough, and another from Gateshead. We all speak fairly quickly though

I wonder if your accent is anything like Babooshka's (which I've never heard, lol)? She lives in Northeast England somewhere.

Written By: Morton on 06/01/06 at 10:46 am

I wonder if your accent is anything like Babooshka's (which I've never heard, lol)? She lives in Northeast England somewhere.

To the rest of you, we probably sound the same but we'll be able to here a slight difference in tongue. She's further up towards Newcastle than me

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 10:46 am

I confuse people.

Another favourite..

I have often thought an Englishman in America would be a fish out of water but I always wondered how a guy with a Midlands accent would cope over there, lol.

"Dow yow noew ware Saynt Lowis ees?"  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 10:48 am

I have often thought an Englishman in America would be a fish out of water but I always wondered how a guy with a Midlands accent would cope over there, lol.

"Dow yow noew ware Saynt Lowis ees?"  ;D

Midland is actually quite a mild, neutral sort of accent (think Ozzie Osbourne) which sounds quite southern actually. A very strong accent would be a Geordie accent, or even older people from Cornwall, the Southwest.

Written By: La Roche on 06/01/06 at 10:49 am

"Dow yow noew ware Saynt Lowis ees?"  ;D

It's fun to put it on thick sometimes. I mean thick with a trowel.  ;D

"Awight maytey, ere, Youw gowt any idear wheayar ah Moyt bey ayble tah foynd meseylf a propa bit orf pie?"

Midland is actually quite a mild, neutral sort of accent (think Ozzie Osbourne) which sounds quite southern actually. A very strong accent would be a Geordie accent, or even older people from Cornwall, the Southwest.

Thanks.. we know, we were both raised with them.

Written By: Morton on 06/01/06 at 10:50 am

Yeah, the yorkshire/leeds accent is quite good... and a lot different from mine, even though it's geographically not that distant

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/01/06 at 10:50 am

I have a "Canadian accent." It often gets wrongly stereotyped in certain media - I do not say "aboot" or "eh" after every sentence, for instance. Actually, an American once told me over the phone that I sound as though I'm from Oxford, and I've been told by others that I have a naturally elegant voice. Mind you, there are Canadians who do have the stereotypical accent; for example, I find that a lot of the poor aboriginal people in Winnipeg speak exactly that way.

But for most, the average English Canadian accent is indistinguishable from American accents. There are still some subtle differences, however; for example, I believe that Americans pronounce "stock" and "stalk" as distinct and different (even if very similar-sounding) words, whereas in Canada we use the exact same pronunciation for both words.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 10:51 am

"Awight maytey, ere, Youw gowt any idear wheayar ah Moyt bey ayble tah foynd meseylf a propa bit orf pie?"

Thanks.. we know, we were both raised with them.

Oh ok, so you spent your childhood in England?

Written By: La Roche on 06/01/06 at 10:51 am

Oh ok, so you spent your childhood in England?

Some of it.

I've moved around a lot.

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 10:53 am

I'm not sure if there is a West/East Midlands difference in severity. People from Birmingham have the broadest accent and the towns surrounding it a little less harsh. The strength of the accent isn't neccessarily an issue, it is whether anyone can understand you, lol.

The Southwestern/Cornish section of England is understandable, lots of gravelly voices and knocking off the 't's at the end of words. I would so love to see the conversation between an American and somebody from Newcastle - talk about two people seperated by a common language!  ;D

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 10:59 am

I'm not sure if there is a West/East Midlands difference in severity. People from Birmingham have the broadest accent and the towns surrounding it a little less harsh. The strength of the accent isn't neccessarily an issue, it is whether anyone can understand you, lol.

There is an east/west difference.  Do you remember Adrian Mole being on the TV?  It was set (and filmed) in Leicester but the mother (Julie Walters) did it with a Brum accent.  Loads of people here complained about it!

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 11:01 am

Ha ha! Great stuff - or 'bostin'' as some of the older Midlands gents would say.

I think Ozzie Osbourne would have got off lightly with his accent if it wasn't for the amount of drugs he has taken.

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 11:03 am

There is an east/west difference.  Do you remember Adrian Mole being on the TV?  It was set (and filmed) in Leicester but the mother (Julie Walters) did it with a Brum accent.  Loads of people here complained about it!

Unfortunately, Karen, the only thing I remember of Adrian Mole is that excellent intro 'Profoundly in love with Pandora' by Ian Dury (I acquired the soundtrack about a year ago). I could imagine people complaining about the difference in accent. Shame on Walters, she's a professional and should know better.  ;)

Written By: jackas on 06/01/06 at 11:14 am

cau-wuh-fee

Like Linda Richman, Coffee Talk with daughters and dogs.

Written By: Morton on 06/01/06 at 11:16 am

I would so love to see the conversation between an American and somebody from Newcastle - talk about two people seperated by a common language!  ;D

When I have voice convos on MSN, i'm apparently hard to understand sometimes...  ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 11:20 am

When I have voice convos on MSN, i'm apparently hard to understand sometimes...  ::)

Ha ha!

Even the English have a problem understanding certain Northern accents (especially Newcastle).

Written By: Morton on 06/01/06 at 11:22 am

Ha ha!

Even the English have a problem understanding certain Northern accents (especially Newcastle).

It's not THAT bad  :P

I have a cousin from Liverpool, and sometimes he mumbles and slurrs so badly, I honestly don't understand what he's saying. It's even worse when he's on the phone. I just have to nod and agree  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 11:23 am

It's not THAT bad  :P

I have a cousin from Liverpool, and sometimes he mumbles and slurrs so badly, I honestly don't understand what he's saying. It's even worse when he's on the phone. I just have to nod and agree  ;D

Yes, Liverpool is a problem accent too . . . to be honest, I don't think there are many easy-to-listen to accents in Britain.

Written By: Morton on 06/01/06 at 11:25 am

Yes, Liverpool is a problem accent too . . . to be honest, I don't think there are many easy-to-listen to accents in Britain.

The southern ones tend to be the easiest to understand, i've found. Proper English accents are easy to follow as well. All depends who the speaker and the listener are

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 11:26 am

The southern ones tend to be the easiest to understand, i've found. Proper English accents are easy to follow as well. All depends who the speaker and the listener are

Very true that. There are some people down here I could do without listening to.  ;)

Written By: Morton on 06/01/06 at 11:27 am

Very true that. There are some people down here I could do without listening to.  ;)

Why, whoever could you mean?!  :D ;D

Anyway, gonna go off and get ready for work even though I REALLY don't want to... see you all later  :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 11:31 am

Why, whoever could you mean?!  :D ;D

There's a woman I know, a really friendly woman, but she sounds like a witch and another guy is so quiet it's ridiculous . . .

Anyway, gonna go off and get ready for work even though I REALLY don't want to... see you all later  :)

Go and get it done, mate.  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/01/06 at 12:45 pm

I don't have much of a problem with the different English accents, however I have trouble reading some books that have English characters.  Anne Perry's book are good, but there are times I'll have to re-read a sentence just to understand it, sometimes out loud.  It's like I'm reading a foreign language.

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 12:50 pm

I don't have much of a problem with the different English accents, however I have trouble reading some books that have English characters.  Anne Perry's book are good, but there are times I'll have to re-read a sentence just to understand it, sometimes out loud.  It's like I'm reaing a foriegn language.

That's right, a lot of authors tend to write phonetically to strengthen the accent of the character who's speaking (Dickens was a major example) and use colloqualisms (slang).

That certainly can be tough to read.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/01/06 at 1:40 pm

I don't have much of a problem with the different English accents...

I don't, either...as long as the person isn't speaking too fast!  :D

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/06 at 1:46 pm

whataboutiftheytypefastlikethisaswell?

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/06 at 1:50 pm

I have a bit of a Canadian accent, but not a big one.  If I wanted to, I could pass for an American, cause it's not a real thick Canadian accent, but I do say my fair share of eh every now and then  :-[

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:54 pm

I wonder if my accent's hard to understand. Has anyone heard it yet? (it's the second last post in 'What does your voice sound like?')

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/01/06 at 1:55 pm

whataboutiftheytypefastlikethisaswell?

LOL!  You're too much, Rob!  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 2:12 pm

New Joisey.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/06 at 2:20 pm

The New Yawk Language  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/01/06 at 3:22 pm

True. 

I find Irish accent more difficult to understand, especially in movies.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:38 am

New Joisey.

I'd love to hear your voice, James. But I guess I probably won't get to.  :(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/03/06 at 7:40 am

Being from New Zealand, my accent is, funnily enough, a New Zealand accent

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:42 am

Being from New Zealand, my accent is, funnily enough, a New Zealand accent

Do you like your Fush n Ch'ps down in NZ? I lived in NZ for awhile (when I was young), so I guess my accent is slightly Kiwi.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/03/06 at 7:43 am

Do you like your Fush n Ch'ps down in NZ?
Yes, as a matter of fact, we do.  ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:44 am

Yes, as a matter of fact, we do.  ::)

What do you think of your PM, Ms Hillin Clarke?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/03/06 at 7:52 am

What do you think of your PM, Ms Hillin Clarke?
Can't say I think too highly of her myself.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:53 am

Can't say I think too highly of her myself.

What are some examples of Kiwi slang? Don't they just steal off Aussie slang (like we stole off the Poms, lol)?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 7:54 am

Australian

But when I visited America, a number of people thought I was British.

Including one memorable occasion when they looked at me and said "So, what part of England are you from?".  At the time I was wearing a green and gold football jersey that had "Australia" written on it....  ::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/03/06 at 7:56 am

What are some examples of Kiwi slang? Don't they just steal off Aussie slang (like we stole off the Poms, lol)?
Probably.  ::) ;D

Dunno if this has anything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_English

Written By: jackas on 06/03/06 at 7:57 am

Australian

But when I visited America, a number of people thought I was British.

Including one memorable occasion when they looked at me and said "So, what part of England are you from?".  At the time I was wearing a green and gold football jersey that had "Australia" written on it....  ::)

Sometimes I have to really pay attention to the accent to figure out if it's Australian or British. :-\\

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 8:29 am

Sometimes I have to really pay attention to the accent to figure out if it's Australian or British. :-\\

That's rather intruiging  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 06/03/06 at 9:01 am

I voted Australian !

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 9:08 am

That's rather intruiging  :)

I'm constantly exasperated by how the yanks confuse the broad Australian accent and the Cockney accent. I mean, it isn't that hard to tell apart. I can tell apart an American and a Canadian accent, so why can't an American tell about two accents which are as different as apples and oranges?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/03/06 at 9:10 am

I'm constantly exasperated by how the yanks confuse the broad Australian accent and the Cockney accent. I mean, it isn't that hard to tell apart. I can tell apart an American and a Canadian accent, so why can't an American tell about two accents which are as different as apples and oranges?

That's what I said.  Except in three words  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 9:10 am

That's what I said.  Except in three words  ;D

Smart-arse... :D

Written By: jackas on 06/03/06 at 11:35 am

I think it's probably because we are not accustomed to hearing the accents on a regular basis.  I don't talk to anyone from either country and on occasion I'll hear the accent on TV, but it's not like they are wearing a badge identifying their country of origin.  I know Steve Irwin's accent for sure though. ::) :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/03/06 at 11:56 am

Maybe because we don't hear both enough to be able to distinguish them apart?  Just an idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/06 at 4:07 pm

English

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 4:25 pm

True. 

I find Irish accent more difficult to understand, especially in movies.

I find the Irish and Scottish accents very, very difficult to understand...isn't the Liverpudlian accent influenced largely by the Irish immigrants there?

Out of the American accents, I think the one's that would be most difficult for an ESLer or someone from Britain to understand would be the very broad Northeastern ones. Of course, that super-thick Brooklyn accent (turlet for toilet, bunk for bump) is basically dead, since the Irish-German populations of the NYC area have assimmilated. But there's still some thick accents...like a thick Nuyorican accent (New York Puerto Rican accent), the Queens/Longgisland/Brooklyn/Shaolin accent, the Bwostin accent and that rural New England type voice, and a thick, Joe Pesci-style Italian Jersey accent are quite difficult. Also, we talk very quickly around NYC. Also, the very thick rural Southern accents.

Written By: 1993 on 06/03/06 at 9:57 pm

The "Bahston" accent is actually alot rarer than I thought would be, sounds almost contrived at times, like they're trying to speak it. The lockjaw accent is even rarer, and it's quite funny to come across an old man (speakers are usually 65+) who still speak it.

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/06 at 10:01 pm

Very slight English.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 10:14 pm

I find the Irish and Scottish accents very, very difficult to understand...isn't the Liverpudlian accent influenced largely by the Irish immigrants there?

Out of the American accents, I think the one's that would be most difficult for an ESLer or someone from Britain to understand would be the very broad Northeastern ones. Of course, that super-thick Brooklyn accent (turlet for toilet, bunk for bump) is basically dead, since the Irish-German populations of the NYC area have assimmilated. But there's still some thick accents...like a thick Nuyorican accent (New York Puerto Rican accent), the Queens/Longgisland/Brooklyn/Shaolin accent, the Bwostin accent and that rural New England type voice, and a thick, Joe Pesci-style Italian Jersey accent are quite difficult. Also, we talk very quickly around NYC. Also, the very thick rural Southern accents.

That's a pity...That Brooklyn 'tough' sort of accent was pretty well known in TV, Movies.etc - always reminds me of campy Gangster movies.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 11:58 pm

That's a pity...That Brooklyn 'tough' sort of accent was pretty well known in TV, Movies.etc - always reminds me of campy Gangster movies.

It's sorta been dead for fifty years, though. However, the accents of The Nanny, Everybody Loves Raymond, and The Sopranos are quite, quite pervasive in the NYC area still. When I was in Boston, the accent was definitely somewhat evident among the upper half and quite evident among the lower half, income-wise.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 12:38 am

It's sorta been dead for fifty years, though. However, the accents of The Nanny, Everybody Loves Raymond, and The Sopranos are quite, quite pervasive in the NYC area still. When I was in Boston, the accent was definitely somewhat evident among the upper half and quite evident among the lower half, income-wise.

I don't hear the 'Boston' accent much on TV. I remember watching 'Average Joe' (campy reality show, sort of a Bachelor spin-off) and there was this rather slight fellow from Boston, and he spoke with a real strong accent. Needless to say, he was the winner out of the Average Joes but of course, the girl chose some hunk over him.

Written By: Stompgal on 06/08/06 at 5:57 am

My accent sounds pretty English.

Check for new replies or respond here...