inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your own board on inthe00s to moderate for a month?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 8:12 am

I was thinking... always a bad thing to do.

Does anyone have interest in running their own board on inthe00s?  As in... you tell me what it would be, and a description, and I'd setup the board and you'd take care of if it for an entire month.  I'd be there to remove spam (if you don't get it first), and it would still have to respect the regular system rules (no X-rated topics, no user bashing, etc).  At the end of the month, we seal it up and let someone else try their hand at it.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Subject: Re: Your own board on inthe00s to moderate for a month?

Written By: KKay on 06/02/06 at 10:38 am

1. I love that there have been 8 people that read this, but no replies.  Work=fear.
2.  Does it take lots of time?  What if you don't do a good job? Will you step in and help out?  Will there be guidelines?
3.  You guys just wanna go on vacation, don't you?

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/06 at 12:00 pm

you mean like we'd get to run one of the sections, or like some new section just created for us to run?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/02/06 at 12:14 pm

I would like to moderate my own board on women and gays in popular culture, and analysis of their changing roles.

Written By: KKay on 06/02/06 at 12:39 pm

I"d like one about celebrity gossip/ spanning decades.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/06 at 12:44 pm

I would give members a chance to moderate boards, giving good experience for future use, if anyone is wishing to run boards of their own.

It will look good on the CV.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 1:31 pm

1. I love that there have been 8 people that read this, but no replies.  Work=fear.

yeah, me too >grin<  everyone always says they'd do things differently, but when given the option clam up...

2.  Does it take lots of time?  What if you don't do a good job? Will you step in and help out?  Will there be guidelines?

time? as much or as little time as you want.  if you want to post a ton of threads and respond to them, etc. I'm sure it'll either drive people away or to it.  if your board is really narrow in focus, it may not attract any attention what-so-ever and thus require no real work to speak of

I will step in to help out whenever needed... guidelines will be developed as time goes on and are needed. 

Not sure what a "good job" would entail.  Since a moderator would have the ability to delete/modify posts within their board and topics, if they act like a jerk, I'm sure people would stop posting on their board.  If that's what they wanted, then heck, fine with me (so long as it doesn't make people stop visiting completely).

3.  You guys just wanna go on vacation, don't you?

I do!  I was sick most of this week, and ended up using vacation time I don't have to stay at home and watch DVDs. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 1:32 pm

you mean like we'd get to run one of the sections, or like some new section just created for us to run?

You would be given an entirely new section to run.  You'd pick the name and description and would be responsible for making people want to use it to discuss things, and keeping order (ie. deleting spam, keeping things on topic (if that's desired), etc).

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 1:34 pm

I would give members a chance to moderate boards, giving good experience for future use, if anyone is wishing to run boards of their own.

It will look good on the CV.

CV = resume, for those of us on the other side of the pond... and I can't personally say whether or not it would, but as long as you don't claim something that isn't true (ie. I paid you for the pleasure) I certainly would back you up if an employer sent me email

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 1:41 pm

I also stated that it would be for a month.  It might not be.  If it's totally disruptive to the site in general  I might end it early.  If it's really popular, I might just leave it running with the person in charge indefinitely.

I've never tried this before, so it's totally "play as we go".  I stated one month, because I'm thinking we'll try this with one person and one board.  If the new board isn't liked, or it just isn't effective, it'll be easier for me to close it all down and say, "oh well, it was just an idea". 

I've intentionally stated as little as possible, and tried to make the goals as minimal as possible, as to create a "no pressure" type of "experiment".

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 1:48 pm

I would like to moderate my own board on women and gays in popular culture, and analysis of their changing roles.

It might make an interesting topic, but I don't know that an entire board would be needed for a discussion like that

I"d like one about celebrity gossip/ spanning decades.

This would probably make an interesting board idea, since there's always tons of gossip going on...

Written By: Tam on 06/02/06 at 2:13 pm

This sounds like an awesome idea!
My only concern would be that it would be used in the beginning but then fizzle out like the 'other' board did.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/06 at 2:35 pm

That'd be great,When will this happen? ???

Written By: KKay on 06/02/06 at 2:37 pm

can two people split one?

Written By: Howard on 06/02/06 at 2:39 pm

How would that happen?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 2:39 pm

I would mod one about decadeology.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/06 at 2:40 pm

I would mod one about sex. ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 2:46 pm

hmmm... that might be interesting, though I think I'd prefer to see if one person could handle doing it first...

Written By: Tam on 06/02/06 at 2:47 pm

I would mod one about decadeology.

I think that is a brilliant idea Donnie!
Like I already told you... a seperate board is perfect for you.
You would kick ass at it !!

If we have to vote or nominate then I nominate and vote for Donnie Darko!

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 2:49 pm

This sounds like an awesome idea!
My only concern would be that it would be used in the beginning but then fizzle out like the 'other' board did.

The other board had to be "found", and quickly deviated into strictly sex talk, which a lot of people seemed rather uninterested in. 

If it does fizzle though, it's not really a big deal.  People don't have to sign up again, it gives a couple people the opportunity to see what moderating is like, etc.  Change is good

Written By: Howard on 06/02/06 at 3:08 pm

Being your very own moderator would be fun.

Written By: Tia on 06/02/06 at 4:58 pm

i'd love to do one devoted to 70s movies.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 4:59 pm

i'd love to do one devoted to 70s movies.

Including blaxpoitation?  :D

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/02/06 at 5:15 pm

Back when I owned a messageboard... maybe it's still there, but it's dead, I had many of these. It's not that hard, I'd love to do it.

Check for new replies or respond here...