inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you an Ascetist or a Hedonist?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 1:12 pm

Are you an Ascetist (tends to derive self-satisfaction from denial, disdains hedonistic behaviour) or a Hedonistic (pleasure-seeking)? Of course most people are probably a mix, but which side do you lean to?

I'm probably more of a Hedonist at heart...I enjoy the normal pleasures of life. But in many ways I'm a private, contemplative sort of soul.

Subject: Re: Are you an Ascetist or a Hedonist?

Written By: Bobby on 06/03/06 at 1:14 pm

I like an easy life, nowt wrong with that. I'm probably more hedonistic but most people are if they are not conditioned otherwise.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 1:18 pm

I like an easy life, nowt wrong with that. I'm probably more hedonistic but most people are if they are not conditioned otherwise.

But some people find pleasure in lasting fulfilments like raising a family.etc, while others will quite happily party their way through life. lol

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 1:26 pm

I'm an ascetist.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 1:27 pm

I'm an ascetist.

I can tell.  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 06/03/06 at 1:30 pm

But some people find pleasure in lasting fulfilments like raising a family.etc, while others will quite happily party their way through life. lol

You don't have to be ascetic to raise a family. There are a lot of hedonistic types out there who have wife/husband/2.4 kids and a dog. We are conditioned to want to raise a family (the expectations we get from tv commercials, sitcoms, religion etc etc).

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 1:31 pm

You don't have to be ascetic to raise a family. There are a lot of hedonistic types out there who have wife/husband/2.4 kids and a dog. We are conditioned to want to raise a family (the expectations we get from tv commercials, sitcoms, religion etc etc).

Yeah of course, I was giving an example. I mean, how many people would honestly be happy spending most of their weekends helping the community? Or being alone contemplating some ethical/philosophical problem?

Written By: Bobby on 06/03/06 at 1:38 pm

Yeah of course, I was giving an example. I mean, how many people would honestly be happy spending most of their weekends helping the community? Or being alone contemplating some ethical/philosophical problem?

It takes a special kind of person, mate.

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/06 at 1:41 pm

I enjoy contemplation.. I don't see that as self-denial. I also enjoy pleasure. I'm probably more towards Hedonist, on the grounds I don't think philosophy and contemplation HAS to mean ascetism.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/03/06 at 1:42 pm

I'm more of an hedonist. ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 1:43 pm

I enjoy contemplation.. I don't see that as self-denial. I also enjoy pleasure. I'm probably more towards Hedonist, on the grounds I don't think philosophy and contemplation HAS to mean ascetism.

What's better: having sex with a girl, or having a deep philosophical discussion with the (same) girl?

I guess it really depends on the girl, lol

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/06 at 2:27 pm

What's better: having sex with a girl, or having a deep philosophical discussion with the (same) girl?

I guess it really depends on the girl, lol

It also depends on the situation. Sometimes, a meaningful discussion is worlds better, othertimes the sex would be better. It depends on what I'm in the mood for, mental or physical fulfillment. More often, it's mental. But that doesn't minimize the pleasure enjoyment at all.

Written By: Bobby on 06/03/06 at 2:31 pm

It also depends on the situation. Sometimes, a meaningful discussion is worlds better, othertimes the sex would be better. It depends on what I'm in the mood for, mental or physical fulfillment. More often, it's mental. But that doesn't minimize the pleasure enjoyment at all.

I think it depends on the girl. It takes a special kind of woman for me to get philosophical with and give of myself mentally and emotionally. Sometimes, dare I say it, sex can be a hindrance to the way a man views a woman in the relationship (in the sense he may just simply view her as a 'shagbag' than a person to have a conversation with or simply enjoy her time).

Written By: CeeKay on 06/04/06 at 8:00 am

Um...that would be me.  There are, of course, exceptions every now and then.  As the original post said, we're mostly a combination of the two.  But I can spend a lot of time in contemplation.  Does that make me an ascetic? (how do you spell that??)

Written By: CeeKay on 06/04/06 at 8:02 am

I think the best would be having sex after the deep philosophical discussion.  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 8:02 am

Um...that would be me.  There are, of course, exceptions every now and then.  As the original post said, we're mostly a combination of the two.  But I can spend a lot of time in contemplation.  Does that make me an ascetic? (how do you spell that??)

In some ways, yes. I guess it's more about what you find fulfillment in than how reflective you are. But ascetics tend to be (not always) introverted in comparison to true dyed in the wool, honest-to-God Hedonists.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/04/06 at 11:19 am

I'd say I'm definitely more of a Hedonist.

Written By: Bobby on 06/04/06 at 12:58 pm

I think the best would be having sex after the deep philosophical discussion.  ;)

That bangs my drum, lol.

"So what do you think is the meaning of life?"
"Get into bed and I'll show you".

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/04/06 at 1:13 pm

In all essence, I think there should be a happy medium. It's important to be out there helping people, and being involved in a way that has deeper meaning in the years to come. As humans, we need that interaction and self worth. But, a lot of us don't mind having some carefree time where we can just let loose. There's nothing wrong with having a bit of both of those. If you're totally living one or the other, then you're just depriving yourself of total fulfillment.

I was reading in a scientific magazine the other night how people go on burnout from suffocating themselves due to the demands of their job. At first it's great, and soon the demands become too much to handle. And people go on burnout mode, even admitting themselves into the hospital because they don't know what's happening to them. It happens to the best of us.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/04/06 at 1:50 pm

I am mixed. However, I wouldn't want to deny myself pleasure.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/04/06 at 4:51 pm

Ah, an ascetic!  (The word the judges were looking for as a requirement for claiming the mantle of hedonism was "during", not "after". :)

Written By: CeeKay on 06/04/06 at 5:33 pm

Ah, an ascetic!  (The word the judges were looking for as a requirement for claiming the mantle of hedonism was "during", not "after". :)

Ascetic it is  :)

Written By: jackas on 06/04/06 at 8:58 pm

I am more ascetic.  Although I like to have my fun, I think their are more important things in life and I have gotten much worse since I had my children.  My husband is total hedonist, I'm sure that's part of the reason I've become so strict with everything.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/04/06 at 9:02 pm

I'm more an ascetic than a hedonist.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/04/06 at 11:40 pm

I am more ascetic.  Although I like to have my fun, I think their are more important things in life and I have gotten much worse since I had my children.  My husband is total hedonist, I'm sure that's part of the reason I've become so strict with everything.

Yes, well, perhaps men tend to be more hedonistic, hence the whole discussion on the "can men and women just be friends" thread.  ;)

I like to have fun, but I find things more fun if there's a bit of intellectual or emotional depth involved.  That's just the kinda gal I am.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/05/06 at 9:44 pm

OK, if I had to choose, I'd go with hedonist.  But to be strictly accurate, I'm an...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicureanism

...Epicurean.

Gimme a beautiful car or aircraft, let me go home to a well-aged steak, with a fine Cab or Zin... heck, even a heavily-hopped IPA astride the kind of homebrew garlic-loaded hamburger that you don't just eat, you eat the hell out of, and I'm happy.  Beauty and pleasure - even when they're just a row of machines and a plate of food - beats sex, any day.

Haven't dated in a decade, and I haven't missed it.  After I learned to cook, after I learned a few mechanical things, and even though I'm still working on flight, I get to enjoy all the fun that the hedonists do, but with none of the painful side-effects.  Drink for the taste, not to get drunk.  Eat because it tastes good, not because it's there.  Drive whatever  makes you feel good, as long as you remember that the Prius is every bit as beautiful for the engineer that figured out how to 40-50 MPG out of a gasoline engine at 10 MPH and 80 MPH as... well, as mine was to get 10-15 at those speeds :)  Finally, I found a job that I didn't just enjoy, but - even though they pay me more - that I'd do for the cost of living. 

A man cannot consume more than he produces: at least for me, life's better this way, and I'm having too much fun to dare share it with anyone.

Subject: Are you an Ascetist or a Hedonist?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/10/21 at 9:57 pm

I had to l00k up whats those words meant before I replied...

I would say im def a Hedonistic...

Check for new replies or respond here...