inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nerds always give in at the end of the movie

Written By: KKay on 06/04/06 at 12:30 am

Why is it that almost always (save "Revenge of the Nerds") in a movie the person that's unpopular or a nerd must change to be accepted?
Sandy did it in Grease....Ben Stiller in everything...and in Annie Get Your Gun the sharp-shootin', backwoods girl has to give up guns to keep her man.

Someone show me where the lovers are different but compromise or acceptance keeps them together...

Subject: Re: Nerds always give in at the end of the movie

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 12:35 am

I guess it's just the laws of cinema...In real life, nerdy people are accepted for their nerdiness.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/04/06 at 5:08 am

Sandy did it in Grease....

Someone show me where the lovers are different but compromise or acceptance keeps them together...

Sandy did it - but got there to find that Danny had turned nerd for her !!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/04/06 at 6:06 am

Why is it that almost always (save "Revenge of the Nerds") in a movie the person that's unpopular or a nerd must change to be accepted?
Sandy did it in Grease....Ben Stiller in everything...and in Annie Get Your Gun the sharp-shootin', backwoods girl has to give up guns to keep her man.

When this happen, they are usually seen as freaks...

Written By: CeeKay on 06/04/06 at 7:42 am

YES.  You're great for asking this; I've always wondered the same thing.  Particularly in Grease -- what kind of message is that??  Give up your sweet and innocent ways to become cool and you can have the popular guy.  Trust me, it's probably not a wise decision.

This is one thing I liked about Breakfast Club.  While they learned a bit about each other, and in that probably changed a little, they knew that they'd just go back to real life where they wouldn't be best friends or great lovers.

In our movie, let's have one plot line where compromise and/or acceptance prevails.  I like that idea.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/04/06 at 8:27 pm

In the movie, "Can't Buy Me Love"....the popular girl pretends to like the nerd for a given period of time, thus, creating him to be a "cool kid"...but realizes that she likes him better as his own nerdy self.

Written By: La Roche on 06/04/06 at 8:29 pm

they knew that they'd just go back to real life where they wouldn't be best friends or great lovers.

Apart from Claire & Bender  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 06/06/06 at 7:30 pm

The only exception to the rule IMO was Shrek when the princess turned into an ogre.

The US film industry are very cowardly when it comes to generating new film ideas and concepts. In their eyes, it's not about the quality of the film, it's whether the film has the potential to sell tickets by the bucketloads (which is why obtaining licences for films becomes more important than anything itself). The industry realises that the nerd changing to conform with 'normal values' is a very adaptable mainstream plot angle that is a very successful way of achieving this end so they continue to use it.

Check for new replies or respond here...