inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do people make threads to announce that they're Leaving?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/06/06 at 6:07 pm

This isn't directed at any one person, just a general question for why anyone would make a formal farewell topic. I saw this one forum where a young man left a farewell video. On it, as he was saying goodbye to everyone, he talked about different members and how cool a time they had discussing this & that. It was funny because it went on and on and I'm thinking, it sounds like he had a good experience and has many fond memories. Why is he choosing to leave?

1) They crave a little extra attention?
2) They think/hope we will feel upset/guilty that they are leaving?
3. They really are hurting and feel like they are constantly under attack?
4. other...

Subject: Re: Why do people make threads to announce that they're Leaving?

Written By: Morton on 06/06/06 at 6:10 pm

This isn't directed at any one person

This just comes at almost the same time as an 'I'm Leaving' thread  ;D

No, but seriously, I think it's an attention thing. Why announce and let everybody know you're leaving?! It's like you're asking them to beg you to stay. So I say its a mixture between 1 and 2

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/06 at 6:11 pm

I wonder that myself. I know sometimes when you feel hurt or upset about something....the best possible scenario is to leave.....but it's like...leave then. I don't find it necessary to post in several different parts of the board, announcing that you are leaving.  News travels fast on boards...as in real life...once you tell one person...the rest find out shortly after that.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/06/06 at 6:12 pm

No, but seriously, I think it's an attention thing. Why announce and let everybody know you're leaving?! It's like you're asking them to beg you to stay. So I say its a mixture between 1 and 2

It is sooo obviously an attention thing.  Why does it need spelling out?

FAO ATTENTION SEEKERS    :D

Written By: Paul on 06/06/06 at 6:20 pm

It is sooo obviously an attention thing.  Why does it need spelling out?

FAO ATTENTION SEEKERS    :D

Awwww...Jules!

You just pipped me to the answer!

Right!

That's it!

I'm leaving...!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/06/06 at 6:21 pm

I have to head out somewhere. Should I make a new thread to announce it in case people wonder where I went?  ???

Written By: Morton on 06/06/06 at 6:22 pm

I have to head out somewhere. Should I make a new thread to announce it in case people wonder where I went?  ???

Sure... if you're an attention-seeking threadwhore  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 06/06/06 at 6:23 pm

Attention, usually, or guilt.. or, in Donnie's case, an explanation.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/06/06 at 6:24 pm

I think it's an ego thing. The thread can still be accessed even after they leave.
I'm sure they visit the sight and read what's been written about them after
they're gone. If they can make people feel guilty, their ego's been stroked.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/06/06 at 6:25 pm

yes it does come at the same time Michael,  :)  timed coincidently and brought more into discussion with DonnieDarko's departure but it's something worth discussing seperately apart from his thread. I know Mr Mister left and probably many others but the announcement of that pending farewell is what interests me.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/06/06 at 6:26 pm

Sure... if you're an attention-seeking threadwhore  ;D

HAHAHA ...I love my fellow Northerners! we are just so blunt but honest   ;D ;D

Awwww...Jules!

Right!

That's it!

I'm leaving...!!

;D ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/06 at 6:35 pm

Attention, usually, or guilt.. or, in Donnie's case, an explanation.

an explanation that was broadcasted in a couple different sections of the board (PPP, 2000's). ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/06/06 at 6:48 pm

Awwww...Jules!

Right!

That's it!

I'm leaving...!!

Ha ha! Nice one lads! ;D

As people have mentioned already (and you kind of answered your own thread here Badfinger) most of the time it is usually a mixture of attention-seeking, ego (Loki spelt it over precisely) and guilt. My reasoning is this. If a person has no intention of coming back, why would they write a thread about it? It's not like they are going to come back and check up on it later on.

However, there are people who have to genuinely leave for one reason or another and that shows because they don't usually want to make a big song and dance about it (Marsh, Gis and myself spring to mind - but we didn't delete our accounts).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/06 at 6:51 pm

Ha ha! Nice one lads! ;D

As people have mentioned already (and you kind of answered your own thread here Badfinger) most of the time it is usually a mixture of attention-seeking, ego (Loki spelt it over precisely) and guilt. My reasoning is this. If a person has no intention of coming back, why would they write a thread about it? It's not like they are going to come back and check up on it later on.

However, there are people who have to genuinely leave for one reason or another and that shows because they don't usually want to make a big song and dance about it (Marsh, Gis and myself spring to mind - but we didn't delete our accounts).

yep...usually the ones that talk about leaving the most...are the ones that usually end up coming back a few weeks later. ;) ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/06/06 at 6:57 pm

yep...usually the ones that talk about leaving the most...are the ones that usually end up coming back a few weeks later. ;) ::)

My point exactly. It is very difficult to stay away from these boards for any length of time.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/06/06 at 7:05 pm

They're needy and attention seekers also so  people can beg them to stay...

I belonged to site where every few months this one girl would say something like "I'm fed up with this place, and I'm leaving!".  About 50 people would beg her not to leave, so her next  post would be "I'm going to take a day to think it over and I'll let you know what I decide.".  Then she'd come back and tell us she decided to stay.  I got to the point where I was like "See'ya". 

She was also the person who would start a "Goodnight I'm going to bed now." thread.

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/06 at 7:15 pm

I made a farewell thread on a board I was seconds away from being banned from, but I only did it to lash out at the person who was the reason I was leaving, and to show the other members on the board just what this person was really like.  It didn't work  :-[

But since I was on the way to be banned, I didn't really care ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/07/06 at 9:43 am

They're needy and attention seekers also so  people can beg them to stay...

I belonged to site where every few months this one girl would say something like "I'm fed up with this place, and I'm leaving!".  About 50 people would beg her not to leave, so her next  post would be "I'm going to take a day to think it over and I'll let you know what I decide.".  Then she'd come back and tell us she decided to stay.  I got to the point where I was like "See'ya". 

She was also the person who would start a "Goodnight I'm going to bed now." thread.

Tragic isn't it   ;D ::) ;D

I made a farewell thread on a board I was seconds away from being banned from, but I only did it to lash out at the person who was the reason I was leaving, and to show the other members on the board just what this person was really like.  It didn't work  :-it's not Bill is it? I think he has designs on you.   :P :P

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/07/06 at 10:01 am

I think if you're going to be away on an extended vacation or something, it's good to let people know so they don't worry about you or wonder where you are, but if you're leaving for good, just leave.  If there are specific people you want to say goodbye to, do it in a PM.

Written By: Ripp on 06/07/06 at 10:33 am

I don't mind leaving threads, just leaving threads where it actually doesn't have much in except "bye" is annoying.

I agree with ^^^ :)

Written By: Apricot on 06/07/06 at 12:58 pm

an explanation that was broadcasted in a couple different sections of the board (PPP, 2000's). ::)

Well, some people never go to the other sections outside of the 2000s board, some never leave the AmIRight area, some never leave the PPP... although when they saw him as a guest, they would have conjectured.

Written By: Marian on 06/07/06 at 1:54 pm

so we'l l know they're gone?? ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/07/06 at 2:03 pm

so we'l l know they're gone?? ???

lol tis true

I "left" a couple months ago.  Didn't make a big production about leaving or anything.  and I check in from time to time now since about a month ago.  Where's my welcome back thread darnit?  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/07/06 at 3:15 pm

I have posted a "I'm going on vacation" thread. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with posting a thread saying that you are leaving.

What really bugs me is that I have a lot of people lately complaining about threads. Either what kind of threads people are posting, how many, etc. etc. I never knew that there was a criteria to what kind of thread people can make. The only time when I may have an objection is when people post a thread in the wrong place-i.e. posting something about 2006 in the 80s, section. And I have said this before (and I have seen other people say the same thing), if the thread doesn't look interesting to you, DON'T READ IT!!! I have also seen some threads that have more than 2 pages on how stupid that paticular topic was. If you think is so stupid, why post in it? And this is not directed to anyone in paticular. I have seen many different people do it. I feel that this is a place to exchange ideas, thoughts, etc. If people are limited to what kind of posts to make, what is the use? Yes, some of it is stupid-some are not. But, I think it should be left up to each poster if they think it is too stupid to post in it-because there may be some people who don't think it is that stupid who want to post. Just lighten up, People!!! It is a message board!! 

(Ok, off my soap box now)

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 06/07/06 at 3:35 pm

And I have said this before (and I have seen other people say the same thing), if the thread doesn't look interesting to you, DON'T READ IT!!!

And I've said THIS before.. there's a fine line between one or two annoying threads every week or so and 5-6 annoying threads a day. It's like if you have a little dent in your wall from where a guest swung it a bit too enthusiastically and hit it with a door or something... that one little dent won't bother you. Now, say somebody comes in and keeps opening and shutting that door, not even realizing they're creating a big hole in your wall. They don't know what they're doing, but they create something ugly and annoying. But who are you to complain? If the hole isn't attractive or practical to you, DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!

Written By: Howard on 06/07/06 at 4:05 pm

Just leave if you have to.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/07/06 at 4:07 pm

And I've said THIS before.. there's a fine line between one or two annoying threads every week or so and 5-6 annoying threads a day. It's like if you have a little dent in your wall from where a guest swung it a bit too enthusiastically and hit it with a door or something... that one little dent won't bother you. Now, say somebody comes in and keeps opening and shutting that door, not even realizing they're creating a big hole in your wall. They don't know what they're doing, but they create something ugly and annoying. But who are you to complain? If the hole isn't attractive or practical to you, DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!

nice analogy, Andrew!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/07/06 at 4:16 pm

They need attention

Check for new replies or respond here...