inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Clique titles and hangouts in high school

Written By: KKay on 06/08/06 at 10:42 am

I wanted to put this in the 70s section, but I think it's something that will go on forever...the separation of stereotypes in school.  What did you call the groups of cliques and did you have a name for the place where they hung out?

For example, in my school we had lots of interesting groups form in the late 70s early 80s.  and they all hated each other.

The Critters- these were classic rock and hard rock kids that smoked pot and cut out alot.  Their place was aptly called "The Wall"
The Guidos- these are typical italian guys with rock solid hairsprayed hair that wore sild and satin button down shirts, listened to disco and emulated John Travolta.  The girls with them were called Guidettes...or Tomatoes.  They hung out 'under the bridge"
The Drama Kids (every shcool has them) and some band members ...jazz band too, used to congregate at the Circle.
The Jocks met at the entrance by the gym, also known as the Jock Door.  Cheerleaders were there too.
The Black Fence was home to the punks, known by those ignorant as the Beastie Boys...or the HCs (short for NYHC...New york Hard Core).. they were all straight edge (no drink or drug) and, interestingly enough made friends with the Guidos because they were the two most hated groups out of them all...so they teamed up.  Weird.

How about your school?

Subject: Re: Clique titles and hangouts in high school

Written By: Step-chan on 06/08/06 at 11:00 am

Jocks- Sports kids, the types that got good grades in P.E.
Preps- The smarmy, stuck up "I'm all that" ones. The ones I'm not fond of.
Popular kids- Similiar to the first two, but more of the party types, tended not to be so full of themselves. Not as egotistical.
Other- Gamers, artists, weirdos, nerds, etc..... the kids that weren't popular. I was one of these.

A couple of these titles weren't used in my school(The "Other" category mainly, I just wanted to be sardonic about it. I remembered my school as more of a problem than anything else). I just divided it up by what I assessed.

Written By: karen on 06/08/06 at 11:19 am

Most of the cliques at my school weren't readily identifiable by the music or whatever.  Also the groups were much smaller.  Anyway I was with a goth/punk crowd who hung in "the pit" (fire exit at the back of the Drama Studio).  A small ish group of grebs hung with us.  There was a bunch of music/drama types who took over the centre of the youth wing every lunch time.  The girl bullies sat on the pig bench (next to a statue of a pig) unless they were in the woods having a fag.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 11:20 am

Well, let's see..

Jocks (people totally interested in sports...usually played more than 1 sport...and sported their letterman jacket all the time).
Preps (the elite, popular kids in school...most of them had lots of money, big houses, expensive cars...and all they did was drink and party)
Heads (these were the people who were into heavy metal music, wore the tight pants and the leather jackets, still had the big hair going on)
Wiggas (these were the group of Eminem type white boys who totally hung out with all of the hip-hop crowd...thinking they could talk the talk and walk the walk).
Band/Chorus/Theater Geeks (yep, this was totally me)..(their school experience totally revolved around chorus concerts, school musicals, band concerts, parades, football games, etc.).
Skanks (these were the slutty/easy girls in school...everybody knew them by name ;))
Skaters (these were the people that hung out and skated all the time, and were usually trendsetters (even though that was definitely not what they wanted to be). I remember when they skater girls (skate betties) would wear cut off jean shorts with funky colored tights underneath, or those webbed tights....that became the "thing".  Most of the skater guys were usually pretty hot.)

Written By: Apricot on 06/08/06 at 11:24 am

Well...

Hicks- The deer-huntin', Skoal-totin', Bible-thumpin' type.. most of them are actually pretty cool, but they fit the hunting and 4-wheeler and country music stereotypes.

Jerk Hicks- The guys that are, like, 7 feet tall, always scowling, and hate everything except fighting each other and flipping people off out their truck windows. Scare the crap out of me.

Jocks- Nice guys, really, except that they get tied into a clique of elitist bastards.

Elitist Bastards- These people have somehow gotten roots in just about every clique. Jerks overall, and have sadly made friends with some generally cool people.

Pariahs- The people no one seems to like or associate with other then other Pariahs. I have a friend in this clique, who is amazing at interclique friendship, especially considering his relationship with this clique.

Nerd Mafia- I'm part of this group.. we're not really stereotypical "nerds" except for one or two of us.. then there's the gamers.. then there's me. I don't play video games or obsess over schoolwork (just grades)... I really think I fit better into another clique, but I've not found it.

Anarchists- The punk movement went full-fledged.. they're all anarchists. These people kick ass, though. And one of them as a pimp cane. God, I love that guy.

Church Girls- Generally quiet, good, semi-boring girls.. a few fun ones, though.

Alcoholics/Whores- A group of guys who seem to do nothing but drink, throw parties for others in their clique, and have sex with moderately-ugly girlfriends, which tend to change every 2-3 weeks (at best). Kinda jerks, but they seem to have friends.. especially with the Elitist bastards. Some of them are pretty cool.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/08/06 at 1:21 pm

Well, let's see..

Jocks (people totally interested in sports...usually played more than 1 sport...and sported their letterman jacket all the time).
Preps (the elite, popular kids in school...most of them had lots of money, big houses, expensive cars...and all they did was drink and party)
Heads (these were the people who were into heavy metal music, wore the tight pants and the leather jackets, still had the big hair going on)
Wiggas (these were the group of Eminem type white boys who totally hung out with all of the hip-hop crowd...thinking they could talk the talk and walk the walk).
Band/Chorus/Theater Geeks (yep, this was totally me)..(their school experience totally revolved around chorus concerts, school musicals, band concerts, parades, football games, etc.).
Skanks (these were the slutty/easy girls in school...everybody knew them by name ;))
Skaters (these were the people that hung out and skated all the time, and were usually trendsetters (even though that was definitely not what they wanted to be). I remember when they skater girls (skate betties) would wear cut off jean shorts with funky colored tights underneath, or those webbed tights....that became the "thing".  Most of the skater guys were usually pretty hot.)

Same here, except I hate the word "wiggas".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/08/06 at 1:24 pm

My clique was the Gutter Crew.  I don't quite know how we came to assume that name; probably one late-night sleepover after too much pizza and not enough sleep.  It was just me and my 5 best friends and we were like that every year I was at that school. 

A lot of the cool hangouts for people when I was in H.S. were the HIP (Harlem & Irving Plaza; it's a mall), Navy Pier, the IHOP near school and Tony's Chinese restaurant.

Written By: KKay on 06/08/06 at 1:33 pm

I wandered between the punks and the drama/music groups.  I actually had friends in each group, but they didni't hang out together.

Written By: La Roche on 06/08/06 at 1:35 pm

Well, none of the cliques really had specific names, more just whoever was in that specific group. I'll try and clarify as best I can.

Forest Boys: All the guys who hung out in the woods and shot up, smoked or snorted.

Sporty fuc.ks.: We had this little basketball area, about 60 people would congregate and hang around there, with about 5 of them playing basketball and listening to the same Notorious B.I.G CD on a crappy boom box, every.. single.. day.

Bailey's lot: My buddy Dan Bailey used to have his own little 'crew'. I got on fine with them, but all they ever did was take over this one classroom and hang out in there, I'd sometimes go in there to steal school things and draw cocks on the chalkboard but that was about it.
(This was also the location in which I 'Binned' Kev - meaning I stuck him in the bin and then locked the bin in the cupboard.)

Phleg Pit: This was always called the phleg pit, because it was at the bottom of the main staircase and anybody standing under there got phleged (spat) on. People always used to hang out there though, we usually called them Phleg Heads.
(Usually geeky nerdy kids)

Amsterdam Connection: My good friend Greg came up with this classic name. Basically meaning the average to incredibly slutty girls who hung out in a huge group near the cafeteria.

Football crowd: Anywhere from 20 - 100 guys who would play Football every lunch time on the field. Sometimes I'd join in, sometimes me and my pal Pete would go along to hurt people, sometimes we wouldn't.

Piss-Heads: Me and my pals. We'd sometimes go to school, sometimes wouldn't. Either way we never went more than a day without drinking heavily.
Used to smoke a lot of weed as well.

Written By: gemini on 06/08/06 at 2:42 pm

Ok, back to the 70s here!  ;)

The "heads" but they were partiers, pot smokers, didn't show up at school too much
The "dorks" of course, the pocket protectors, carried a satchel or lunchbox (in highschool)
The "jocks" sports nuts
The "band dorks" they were in band and were really dorks
The "band dorks that weren't really dorks" that was me  ;D 
The "popular kids" they were partiers too, but not as much as the heads, basically treated people like sh*t, made fun of the dorks and were just mean  >:(

Written By: jackas on 06/08/06 at 3:12 pm

Jocks - To include cheerleaders, rich kids, student body government and sometimes called preppy.

Skaters - Skaters and punks kind of mixed together, although the real punks were usually loners. 

Blacks - Guess who?

Cholos or Mexicans - Guess again.

Swimmers - Swimmers were of course on the swim team and they were friendly with the Jocks and the Skaters.  Although the Jocks and Skaters were sworn enemies. ::)

Band Geeks - People in band of course.

Stoners - Pot smoking metal heads.

I mostly hung out with the skaters, but toward the end of high school I started hanging out with the jocks.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/08/06 at 3:55 pm

I wanted to put this in the 70s section, but I think it's something that will go on forever...the separation of stereotypes in school.  What did you call the groups of cliques and did you have a name for the place where they hung out?

For example, in my school we had lots of interesting groups form in the late 70s early 80s.  and they all hated each other.

Even though we went to the same school, there were enough years in between that the groups were a little different when I was there...and a little the same.

The Guidos- these are typical italian guys with rock solid hairsprayed hair that wore sild and satin button down shirts, listened to disco and emulated John Travolta.  The girls with them were called Guidettes...or Tomatoes.  They hung out 'under the bridge"

In my years (mid-late70s) the Guidos and Guidettes (I loved the nickname "Tomatoes" for those girls) hung out at "The Wall" and were direct enemies of...

The Rockers -- big hair metal crowd or guys in white t-shirts who took their rock and roll very seriously.  I don't know where they hung out.  But at one point there was a lengendary war between the two groups.  That was NY Circa 1977.

The Drama Kids (every school has them) and some band members ...jazz band too, used to congregate at the Circle.

I spent a chunk of time in this crowd.  Drama and Band were very mixed.  We hung out in the "Band Hall" or the "D Wing Doors" -- we hadn't become too creative about what we named our space. 

I have no idea where the Jocks and Cheerleaders hung out but it wasn't anywhere that I was.

We didn't have a punk crowd yet.

We had "The Druggies" -- a pretty large population -- who hung out on "Reefer Road" -- a little side street in the woods across from the school.  They were never in anyone's classes 'cause they never went to school.  But they always were at the school site.  In those days, there were no restrictions about staying on school grounds or whatnot.  (KKay -- remember all the food trucks that would park on the street in front of the school -- you could get pizza or a hot dog, sausage and peppers or a hot knish.)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/08/06 at 5:50 pm

I was sort of the person who knew a lot of different people from a lot of different areas of school. I didn't like to exclude certain people unless they just purely got on my nerves. Most the time, I was leader and I took in the picked on, the shameless, and the ill suited. We formed a strong unit and we were good friends.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/08/06 at 6:46 pm

I was sort of the person who knew a lot of different people from a lot of different areas of school. I didn't like to exclude certain people unless they just purely got on my nerves. Most the time, I was leader and I took in the picked on, the shameless, and the ill suited. We formed a strong unit and we were good friends.

Me too.  I had friends in a few different groups, but none of those people were friends with each other.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/08/06 at 6:58 pm

The Pot Crowd-The kids who do alot of drugs and think they're "badasses." It sort of subdivides into the metalheads, neo-hippies, guidos, and hardcore druggies, who get alot of piercings and do stuff like ecstasy and cocaine. They hang out in the bad parts of town and in each other's souped-up rides. Also, some of the teen hipsters fall into this category.
The Preppies-The kids who think they rule the school. They all have alot of money or at least pretend to, spend their time shopping at Abercrombie and Fitch, and all play lacrosse and spend time getting drunk and f*cking.
The Jocks-Big, vulgar guys. Intersects with the guidos and preppies.
The Emos/Scenesters/Indie Kids-A small crowd in my school, but arguably the snootiest. They're very, very lonely, I think, since nobody wants to be around them.
The Drama Club/Marching Band/Science League/Art Club Kids-Self-explanatory. Sort of intersects with the neo-hippies and hipsters.
The Outcasts/Nu Metal Fans-Kids in special ed who listen to alot of nu metal and get ridiculously drunk every weekend on vodka.
Teen Hipsters-Sort of spread across different crowds.
The Nerdy Flunkouts-Guys who listen to heavy metal and emo and don't do all that well in school.Falls in with the emos and the "pot crowd."
The Teen Stylistas-Girls who spend their time shopping, keeping up with the trends, and hanging out with the badass boys having sex. There's a different group of these for every grade.
The Ghetto Kids-White or black. Self-explanatory.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 7:04 pm

Same here, except I hate the word "wiggas".

I do too Tanya.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/08/06 at 7:06 pm

I myself am not part of a clique, and proud not to be part of a circle/clique. It's so snooty!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/08/06 at 7:16 pm

I do too Tanya.

I owe you a karma point. I just used them up today!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 7:17 pm

I owe you a karma point. I just used them up today!

awww..thanks girl!! :)

Written By: loki 13 on 06/08/06 at 7:17 pm

We had the normal cliques in High School, except we didn't have a music or drama
program nor a football team, so that sort of limited the cliques. I played Baseball but
didn't fit in with the jocks, I did other things but didn't fit in with the stoners, I graduated
7th in a class of 171 and a member of the National Honor Society but didn't fit in with
the geeks. I was basically an outsider that didn't fit in anywhere, I went through
High School invisible. Just the way I like it.

Written By: sonikuu on 06/09/06 at 4:05 am

Preppies - These are your stereotypical popular people.  The only difference is that some members of this clique intersect with Emo.  I can name several preppie girls who love Hawthorne Heights.

Emo Kids - The people who dress Emo and listen to Emo music while going to see crappy local emo bands.  Half of them are stereotypical Emo, the other half are upbeat, happy people who intersect with the preppie crowd.  Don't ask me why happy, popular people at my school dress and listen to Emo, they just do.  Nearly half of the whole school is Emo Kids.

Mexican Gangstas - The stereotypical gangsta, except Mexican since I live in Arizona.

Jocks - People who love the play sports, lift weights, and listen to Hip-Hop 24/7.  Half of them hang out with the preppies and are generally  nice people, the other half are jerks obsessed with sex and alcohol and usually come from a lower-class background, which is why they're not preppies.

Metalheads - Love heavy metal in all it's forms.  Tend to do drugs, skip school, and all that.

Punks - The punks around here are less about being rebellious anarchists and more about having fun.  Most of the punks are in a band and spend most of their time practicing.

Teen Hipsters - A very small group in my school.  Most overlap with the preppies, similar to Emo Kids overlapping with preppies at my school.

Hip-Hop crowd - Listen to hip-hop, talk slang, etc.  Usually black, as most the white kids who fit this profile are Jocks.

Nerds/Geeks - A weird group.  Most are your stereotypical nerd.  Some, however, aren't smart at all, but just so happen to like the stereotypical nerd interests.

Losers - Like stereotypical nerd interests, listen to Nu-Metal, sometimes obsessed with Rap.  Not the most hygenic people in the world and their music choice seems to be stuck in 2000 (Nu-Metal, bands like Lit, etc.).

Other - All the other groups that are less prominent and would take far too long to describe.  Drama Kids, Band Geeks, etc.

Yes, my school is weird.  It boggles the mind as to how Emo Kids and Hipsters overlap with Preppies at my school, but they do.  It's really weird when some of the most popular kids at school are "Preppie Emo Kids" and when one of the most popular members of the class of 2006 was a total hipster.

Written By: Apricot on 06/09/06 at 9:40 am

Preppies - These are your stereotypical popular people.  The only difference is that some members of this clique intersect with Emo.  I can name several preppie girls who love Hawthorne Heights.

Emo Kids - The people who dress Emo and listen to Emo music while going to see crappy local emo bands.  Half of them are stereotypical Emo, the other half are upbeat, happy people who intersect with the preppie crowd.  Don't ask me why happy, popular people at my school dress and listen to Emo, they just do.  Nearly half of the whole school is Emo Kids.

"Preppy" is generally associated with a form of "Hipster" culture, which tends to enjoy popular EMO.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/09/06 at 9:48 am

Aren't preps the word you associate with cheerleaders and jocks?

Written By: Apricot on 06/09/06 at 9:55 am

No.. Preppy is more an effeminate, non-athletic version of cheerleader or jock. They're sometimes nicer, sometimes meaner.

Written By: jackas on 06/09/06 at 10:15 am

Yeah usually.  I always thought of them as the rich or trendy kids who didn't necessarily play sports.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/09/06 at 10:19 am

Yeah usually.  I always thought of them as the rich or trendy kids who didn't necessarily play sports.

Yeah, same here.

Written By: KKay on 06/09/06 at 12:57 pm

Here is an idea of the Preppys i mean...the ones of the 70s and 80s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Preppy_Handbook
http://accordionguy.blogware.com/Photos/2004/04/official_preppy_handbook.jpg

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/09/06 at 2:57 pm

Okay, I just got my class of 2006 yearbook (I'm class of 2008), and here're the groups I've identified:

The "populars":
-The jocks (like hip-hop and classic rock.)
-The guido jocks.
-The preppie jocks.
-The preppies.
-The girl jocks.
All of these groups intersect...trust me.

The "un-populars":
-The teen hipsters.
-The nu metal-ish losers.
-The ghetto kids.
-The stoner crowd/hippies.
-The emos (the few true emos have very few friends.)
-The punks/skaters (intersects with the emos.)
-The band geeks/drama nerds/color guard/science league.
-The "badasses."
-The stylistas (girls who hang around badasses and stoners and are sort of "emo.")
All of these intersect heavily.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 3:19 pm

Me too.  I had friends in a few different groups, but none of those people were friends with each other.

Yeah, I even remember in elementary school, that some of my friends would vie for my attention (still don't know why?) and fight over being my friend. I just liked a lot of different people and people liked that I accepted them, so I sort of became popular for that without ever trying to be popular.

I watch that movie "Mean Girls" and I can totally relate to Lindsay Lohan's character.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/09/06 at 3:44 pm

Yeah, I even remember in elementary school, that some of my friends would vie for my attention (still don't know why?) and fight over being my friend. I just liked a lot of different people and people liked that I accepted them, so I sort of became popular for that without ever trying to be popular.

I watch that movie "Mean Girls" and I can totally relate to Lindsay Lohan's character.

Lol, there are definitely alot of people like that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/09/06 at 5:52 pm

Bump.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/06 at 10:52 am

Okay, I just got my class of 2006 yearbook (I'm class of 2008), and here're the groups I've identified:

The "populars":
-The guido jocks.
-The preppie jocks.
-The preppies.
-The girl jocks.

The "un-populars":
-The teen hipsters.
-The ghetto kids.
-The "badasses."
-The stylistas (girls who hang around badasses and stoners and are sort of "emo.")

Perhaps James, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, you're a little pre-occupied with classifying people into these neat little cliques? Perhaps you've been watching too much high school movies like 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' or teen dramas from the 90s/early 00s like Boston Public. I often find I misjudge people to belong to a particular clique, only to find that when I get to know them they are totally different to what I expected them to be.

Written By: 1993 on 06/13/06 at 2:48 pm

The "populars":
-The guido jocks.
-The preppie jocks.
-The preppies.
-The girl jocks.

The "un-populars":
-The teen hipsters.
-The ghetto kids.
-The "badasses."

interesting, the "girl jock" clique didn't exist when I was in high school in the early 90's, I guess enough girls play sports now for it to exist. I wonder how the regular preppie and preppie jocks interact. I wonder if the computer geeks still exist in the traditional sense, I remember quite a few of them around in the late 80's early 90's, but back then they were on the cutting edge of something. I know in my school the drama "nerds" were actually quite popular

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 4:51 pm

interesting, the "girl jock" clique didn't exist when I was in high school in the early 90's, I guess enough girls play sports now for it to exist. I wonder how the regular preppie and preppie jocks interact. I wonder if the computer geeks still exist in the traditional sense, I remember quite a few of them around in the late 80's early 90's, but back then they were on the cutting edge of something. I know in my school the drama "nerds" were actually quite popular

There are two classes of drama "nerds" in my school...the people who also do stuff like marching band and are sort of "nerdy", but in a cool way, and the sort of popular/aloof types, who probably take it on later in high school and are sort of hip about it. The crew kids are firmly in the aforementioned "drama nerd" group (I'm on the periphery of it, but I'm not really in any clique at all...I have friends from different cliques or non-cliques.)

The "girl jocks" can sort of intersect with the preppies. Though the "girl jocks" tend to be more the soccer, basketball, and softball players, as opposed to the preppie types who play lacrosse and field hockey...they sort of hang out together sometimes, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...