inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's Happened To inthe00s.com?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 12:17 pm

I don't like to blab on about Donnie, but it does seem that everything has basically died since his leaving in the decade boards, and even in the PPP to some extent. This is usually the busiest time, but atm the boards are dead. What do you think is going on? James, Brian.etc are posting less, and I'm seriously considering cutting back if they do. What can we do to bolster the site? Any ideas?

Subject: Re: What's Happened To inthe00s.com?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/11/06 at 12:26 pm

Trimac, it is rather typical for activity on the boards to slow down in the summer.  I have been a member here for a long time and know this for a fact.  I'm sure all of the usual members will return at some point...it's just that some people have other things going on at this time of year.

Written By: chaka on 06/11/06 at 12:39 pm

James, Brian.etc are posting less, and I'm seriously considering cutting back if they do.

Well that doesn't make much sense.Only because some members don't post as much as they used to,you now also decide to cut down on posts but on the other hand you want the boards to be more active..?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/06 at 1:04 pm

Trimac, it is rather typical for activity on the boards to slow down in the summer.  I have been a member here for a long time and know this for a fact.  I'm sure all of the usual members will return at some point...it's just that some people have other things going on at this time of year.

Yeah, what CF said. Many people take vacations, go out to beach/pool etc.

And another thing, 1 person does not a board make. Just because 1 person isn't around do not make the boards dead (the only case that this would be true if Chucky decided to abandon the boards).  At the moment, there are 4596 members. Granted only a small % of that number actually post on the regular basis and even fewer actually post in the PPP. And if a few of those who post in the PPP are on vacation-well, you can figure it out.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 06/11/06 at 1:08 pm

What Ceramics Fanatic and Catwoman say. I have also been a member of these boards for many years now and they always slow right down over the summer.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/11/06 at 1:13 pm

Like everyone else mentioned, June is slow, July and August are even slower.

Combine that with the five new boards that were just started, and people have more options for where they want to post, etc.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/11/06 at 1:13 pm

Yeah I didn't post as much last summer either. During the summer I usually like the try to get out more instead of posting here all day.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/11/06 at 1:17 pm

I post more in the summer... no school! :D

Written By: Bobby on 06/11/06 at 2:01 pm

k. - Ceramics Fanatic
k. - Catwoman

For showing common sense.

What is this obsession with the boards 'dying a death'? IMO, there are as many, if not more members here than there were a year or so ago. As others have mentioned, people have lives beyond the forum too.

Written By: chaka on 06/11/06 at 2:04 pm

As others have mentioned, people have lives beyond the forum too.

Well said.You can't expect people to be posting 24/7.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/06 at 2:26 pm

k. - Ceramics Fanatic
k. - Catwoman

For showing common sense.

What is this obsession with the boards 'dying a death'? IMO, there are as many, if not more members here than there were a year or so ago. As others have mentioned, people have lives beyond the forum too.

Well, some do.  ;) :D

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 06/11/06 at 2:51 pm

Well, some do.  ;) :D

Ha ha!

Well, apart from Cat and myself, most people have lives beyond the boards.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/06 at 3:45 pm

If you ask me, inthe00s runs alot smoother without Donnie.  I know you don't like those threads about artists and songs Trimac, but there are many of us do.  I know I like them so much more than threads about analyzing decades ;) 

Like the others have said things do slow down during the summer.  If you compare inthe00s to other messageboards out there, we do pretty good.  I belong to many other 80s related boards, and I tell ya, they move so slow, you're lucky to get maybe 4 or 5 posts per month.

Just cause Donnie left, doesn't mean the boards died.  It's not like he is the Pied Piper ;D

Written By: KKay on 06/11/06 at 3:50 pm

I enjoy the threads dealing with real culture (music, movies, art...)
rather than the personal issues threads.  And as far as posting goes, I am usually on
during the day on weekdays cuz i'm out all weekend.  so the summer vacation theory makes sense to me. :)

Everybody go outside and play!!!!

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/11/06 at 4:12 pm

If you ask me, inthe00s runs alot smoother without Donnie.  I know you don't like those threads about artists and songs Trimac, but there are many of us do.  I know I like them so much more than threads about analyzing decades ;) 

Like the others have said things do slow down during the summer.  If you compare inthe00s to other messageboards out there, we do pretty good.  I belong to many other 80s related boards, and I tell ya, they move so slow, you're lucky to get maybe 4 or 5 posts per month.

Just cause Donnie left, doesn't mean the boards died.  It's not like he is the Pied Piper ;D

I think we need balance. Also, those artist and song threads produce less real discussion, typically. They're good, but they can't be all that there is to the board.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/11/06 at 4:23 pm

I don't like to blab on about Donnie, but it does seem that everything has basically died since his leaving in the decade boards, and even in the PPP to some extent. This is usually the busiest time, but atm the boards are dead. What do you think is going on? James, Brian.etc are posting less, and I'm seriously considering cutting back if they do. What can we do to bolster the site? Any ideas?
But you are blabbing on about Donnie. The board will be here when he gets back. What's the problem here? I think people post as much as they can, or as much as they want. I accept things the way they are and I don't feel like it has to be given an energy boost or that we need to do something to rally up the troops. It comes and goes in waves. This is a fun place to hang out, and the people are great, but don't we all have other things in our lives that need our attention. We can't devote ourselves entirely to the board, however, there are times when inthe00s.com does gets our undivided attention and devotion  8) , things are moving, the threads rock, the posts are funny & interesting & it feels good to be a part of that. But it can't always be that way. The dry spells make the lively times much more appreciated to me.

Written By: Bobby on 06/11/06 at 5:08 pm

But you are blabbing on about Donnie. The board will be here when he gets back. What's the problem here? I think people post as much as they can, or as much as they want. I accept things the way they are and I don't feel like it has to be given an energy boost or that we need to do something to rally up the troops. It comes and goes in waves. This is a fun place to hang out, and the people are great, but don't we all have other things in our lives that need our attention. We can't devote ourselves entirely to the board, however, there are times when inthe00s.com does gets our undivided attention and devotion  8) , things are moving, the threads rock, the posts are funny & interesting & it feels good to be a part of that. But it can't always be that way. The dry spells make the lively times much more appreciated to me.

That's about right. I think sometimes people don't realise that behind the usernames, the avatars and the posts there are real people behind them with real issues to deal with daily, problems to sort out, exciting places to go and families to support and love. I think we would be bloody selfish if we asked everyone to discard everything just so some of us can achieve 'a board full of life'.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/11/06 at 6:00 pm

I groaned when I saw his deliberate alarmist post - I agree with your post and you're right Karen things do die down a bit in summer/weekends.

Written By: Morton on 06/11/06 at 6:20 pm

To be perfectly honest I really hadn't notcied any change in tempo since he left.

Thing with this site is, you get days when you can't post a reply because everybody's posting at the same time, but then there are times when you can be waiting hours for new replies. I post when I feel and there have been days recently where I really can't be bothered to post, and i'm sure everyone else is the same.

Apart from that it's a weekend. Not only that, it's also the summer. A few members have already gone on vacations, and more will. The boards don't revolve around one member. There have been far more important members than Donnie have left here, and we've gotten on fine.

I can't see what the hell all the fuss is about, personally  :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 06/11/06 at 6:22 pm

I can't see what the hell all the fuss is about, personally  :-\\

It's basically someone trying to create more drama than the whole incident deserves.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/11/06 at 6:24 pm

Yes what those 2 say ^ and ^^    ;D ;D

Written By: Morton on 06/11/06 at 6:24 pm

It's basically someone trying to create more drama than the whole incident deserves.

Yeah, I really can't see why people are kicking up a stink over Donnie leaving... he's a glorified spammer for Christ's sake

Written By: Dagwood on 06/11/06 at 6:29 pm

Add me to the list of not worried.  I have been with this board for a long time, too and it always slows down in the summer.  And, there are threads every summer asking why the board is so dead.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/11/06 at 7:38 pm

Oh for cryin' out loud, nothing has happened to this site.  People have things to do, so they don't post as often.  I seriously doubt people are sitting at home wringing their hands and crying because DD is gone.  I was out all day with my sister because it was 90 degrees and sunny and I didn't feel like sitting in the house.  We go to the pool and swim/work out/tan every day.....am I supposed to stop that just so you don't think the board died?

Let it go.  He's gone. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 7:39 pm

I think we need balance. Also, those artist and song threads produce less real discussion, typically. They're good, but they can't be all that there is to the board.

Yes, I sort of agree. Threads about artists.etc are good, but there are a lack of threads which produce real debate/discussion.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 7:41 pm

Oh for cryin' out loud, nothing has happened to this site.  People have things to do, so they don't post as often.  I seriously doubt people are sitting at home wringing their hands and crying because DD is gone.  I was out all day with my sister because it was 90 degrees and sunny and I didn't feel like sitting in the house.  We go to the pool and swim/work out/tan every day.....am I supposed to stop that just so you don't think the board died?

Let it go.  He's gone. 

Well yeah, it's probably different for me since I sort of became online friends with Mike (Donnie) over the past 6 months or so. At one pointed I was chatting with him for 2-3 hours a day...haven't seen him on msn for the past 4 days. Ah well, I assume you just went somewhere...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/11/06 at 7:51 pm

Well yeah, it's probably different for me since I sort of became online friends with Mike (Donnie) over the past 6 months or so. At one pointed I was chatting with him for 2-3 hours a day...haven't seen him on msn for the past 4 days. Ah well, I assume you just went somewhere...

Obviously people who were close to him are upset that he's not posting here anymore, but to say that because he's not posting here anymore suddenly the board has lost quality and is no longer fun is ridiculous.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 7:53 pm

Obviously people who were close to him are upset that he's not posting here anymore, but to say that because he's not posting here anymore suddenly the board has lost quality and is no longer fun is ridiculous.

But you have to admit, things HAVE changed drastically. Not only because Donnie himself has left, but because of all the others who sort of (don't mean this in a derogatory manner) cling to him like feeder fish, and are fed by his own obsession, lol. Those people seem to be less and less interested in posting and what's happening on the decade boards.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/11/06 at 8:09 pm

But you have to admit, things HAVE changed drastically. Not only because Donnie himself has left, but because of all the others who sort of (don't mean this in a derogatory manner) cling to him like feeder fish, and are fed by his own obsession, lol. Those people seem to be less and less interested in posting and what's happening on the decade boards.
I personally hadn't noticed any change. This will be my first summer as a member and I anticipate my own personal online time lessening due to more outdoor activities and I only have one computer and my 17year old daughter is on summer vacation, so she's home more often now and I let her have online time to her hearts desire and I get mine whenever I can. There is probably some affect from his leaving, but not as dramatic or big an impact as is being given credit.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 8:17 pm

I guess it's really only the 80s, 90s and 00s boards which have changed much. If you don't frequent them much, then you won't be able to really tell a difference.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/11/06 at 8:17 pm

Let it go.  He's gone. 

I don't think he's complaining... in case you didn't notice, he was thinking of what to do instead... he said "What can we do...?"

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 8:19 pm

I don't think he's complaining... in case you didn't notice, he was thinking of what to do instead... he said "What can we do...?"

Thank's for seeing my point, Dom...Yeah, I think it's more focussed towards the decade boards. The PPP itself is chugging along just fine as usual. But come to think, I haven't seen many of the regulars like Howard and Kkay much lately.

Written By: Tia on 06/11/06 at 8:30 pm

this board really went down the crapper after i left, i tell ya.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 8:34 pm

this board really went down the crapper after i left, i tell ya.

When did you leave, Tia?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/11/06 at 8:36 pm

I guess it's really only the 80s, 90s and 00s boards which have changed much. If you don't frequent them much, then you won't be able to really tell a difference.
I don't frequent them much, so yeah, i wouldn't know if it had changed. I'm a Playful Penguin Place kind of guy  :)

Written By: Tia on 06/11/06 at 8:38 pm

When did you leave, Tia?
right before i came back.

Written By: Apricot on 06/11/06 at 8:38 pm

Well, aside from summer being a down time, I think some people are just getting out for a bit cause of the whole Donnie drama.. they want a break from all the hullabaloo.

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/06 at 8:46 pm

I visit those boards often, and the only change is that the postwhoring from Donnie is gone.

For some reason, you seem to like to create more Drama, otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread.  Plus, you talk about Donnie like he was the glue that holds inthe00s together.  If anything, he was the termite in the log cabin

Quite mean of me to say, I know, but I am sick of all this talk about Donnie.  He is gone.  DEAL WITH IT!

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/11/06 at 8:47 pm

I visit those boards often, and the only change is that the postwhoring from Donnie is gone.

For some reason, you seem to like to create more Drama, otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread.  Plus, you talk about Donnie like he was the glue that holds inthe00s together.  If anything, he was the termite in the log cabin

Quite mean of me to say, I know, but I am sick of all this talk about Donnie.  He is gone.  DEAL WITH IT!

Y'know something...deal with your rivalry with him.

Written By: Apricot on 06/11/06 at 9:01 pm

Y'know something...deal with your rivalry with him.

Rivalry? I don't see it.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/11/06 at 9:04 pm

I haven't noticed any slow down. Just the normal "summertime slump" in postings that occurs from now until August.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/11/06 at 9:08 pm

I haven't noticed any slow down. Just the normal "summertime slump" in postings that occurs from now until August.

Today and yesterday was slow, otherwise, it didn't seem like it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/11/06 at 9:12 pm

I think one point I need to make is that we all need to try to be nicer people, including myself. Everything is relative, and just because you don't like somebody's threads, it doesn't mean you need to complain about them. Unless they're posting links to homophobic websites, or something. This is a message board, not high school.

Written By: Apricot on 06/11/06 at 9:18 pm

I think one point I need to make is that we all need to try to be nicer people, including myself. Everything is relative, and just because you don't like somebody's threads, it doesn't mean you need to complain about them. Unless they're posting links to homophobic websites, or something. This is a message board, not high school.

Well, you shouldn't just constantly hold your tongue.. I think if we were better with vocalizing, the problems would be solved.. like, instead of giant explosions, just say "Hey, man, you're making a lot of similar threads.. can you tone it down a bit?" or something..

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/11/06 at 9:23 pm

Well, you shouldn't just constantly hold your tongue.. I think if we were better with vocalizing, the problems would be solved.. like, instead of giant explosions, just say "Hey, man, you're making a lot of similar threads.. can you tone it down a bit?" or something..

Yeah, we need to be able to solve problems in a nicer way.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 2:50 am

Well, at least I'm trying to do something positive for the board as a WHOLE...

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 2:52 am

Of course there are plenty of very engaging and interesting members on the board...Ah, I guess I probably spent too much time talking to the same few members. lol

Written By: Gis on 06/12/06 at 3:03 am

Well, at least I'm trying to do something positive for the board as a WHOLE...
Yes but are you accepting what everyone is trying to tell you here ?? The boards ALWAYS get quiet over the summer, so stop panciking and do like the rest of us, get off your computer all day long and get outside and enjoy the summer !!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 3:12 am

Yes but are you accepting what everyone is trying to tell you here ?? The boards ALWAYS get quiet over the summer, so stop panciking and do like the rest of us, get off your computer all day long and get outside and enjoy the summer !!

Did you read my profile? I'm from Perth, Western Australia - on the wrong side of the Equator. So there probably won't be any days at the beach, or BBQ's for me, although I must say the skies are looking quite summery if the temperature is not. And yes, I realised there may be seasonal fluctuations in activity.

Written By: Gis on 06/12/06 at 3:14 am

Did you read my profile? I'm from Perth, Western Australia - on the wrong side of the Equator. So there probably won't be any days at the beach, or BBQ's for me, although I must say the skies are looking quite summery if the temperature is not. And yes, I realised there may be seasonal fluctuations in activity.
Yeah I know you are from Australia but you have school holidays etc just like the rest of us hmm?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 3:16 am

Yeah I know you are from Australia but you have school holidays etc just like the rest of us hmm?

Yes, I have a 5-week long uni break  :). Hopefully I'll be able to go on holiday (or vacation). Yourself? Any plans for the Summer?

Written By: Gis on 06/12/06 at 3:33 am

Yes, I have a 5-week long uni break  :). Hopefully I'll be able to go on holiday (or vacation). Yourself? Any plans for the Summer?
Moving house  :-\\
The lease is up on this house on the 13th july so we hope to move to a much bigger place ( hooray) on the 8th/9th july. So most of my holiday allowance and money is going into that. We might get away in sept/ october for a few days.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/12/06 at 3:36 am

get off your computer all day long and get outside and enjoy the summer !!
If it wasn't snowing outside and below 0

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 3:36 am

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/12/06 at 3:44 am

Where in NZ do you live?
See the weather thread.

Written By: Gis on 06/12/06 at 12:58 pm

Written By: Apricot on 06/12/06 at 1:26 pm

Written By: Tia on 06/12/06 at 1:30 pm

If I had friends I probably would, too. :D
friends are just enemies who don't have the guts to kill you.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 1:42 pm

Written By: chaka on 06/12/06 at 1:45 pm

I fancy snow right now, it is too hot for me here.

No way,I love this weather!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 1:45 pm

No way,I love this weather!
Not when it brings on Hay Fever too!

Written By: chaka on 06/12/06 at 1:47 pm

Not when it brings on Hay Fever too!

You suffer from hay fever? Well yeah,then I understand you don't like the heat.
Luckily I don't get hay fever.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 1:54 pm

You suffer from hay fever? Well yeah,then I understand you don't like the heat.
Luckily I don't get hay fever.
It is murder for me, for I have an allergy to the antihistamines, the only true cure for me is to stop breathing and I do not wish for that.

Written By: chaka on 06/12/06 at 1:57 pm

It is murder for me, for I have an allergy to the antihistamines, the only true cure for me is to stop breathing and I do not wish for that.

;D No,I can I understand why you do not wish for that!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 1:58 pm

;D No,I can I understand why you do not wish for that!
I just sit and suffer.

Written By: chaka on 06/12/06 at 1:59 pm

I just sit and suffer.

Oh well,you're in England that means summer will soon be over  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 2:00 pm

Oh well,you're in England that means summer will soon be over  :P
I am waiting for the first rainfall.

Written By: chaka on 06/12/06 at 2:03 pm

I am waiting for the first rainfall.

It'll come soon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 2:04 pm

It'll come soon.
I may go for a shower soon

Written By: chaka on 06/12/06 at 2:04 pm

I may go for a shower soon

Me too.I've gotta wash my hair.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/06 at 4:07 pm

People take vacations so that's why it's been slow

Written By: Gis on 06/12/06 at 5:09 pm

It is murder for me, for I have an allergy to the antihistamines.
So do I ! Thankfully my hayfever has been getting better over the last few years. I have been pretty bad this last week though.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/12/06 at 5:22 pm

Maybe not as much people like it used to be.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 10:02 pm

Maybe not as much people like it used to be.

Yeah, I remember people bemoaning the board's quietness and lacklustredness as early as when I joined in Feb 05, and even when Donnie WAS here, so I guess you can't please everybody. I personally think it is one of the most vibrant communities on the net.  :)

Written By: karen on 06/13/06 at 4:59 am

Someone was telling me about an injection she had for hayfever.  kennelog or something similar.  perhaps you could ask you doctor about it?  I'll try and find out the proper name.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/06 at 3:08 pm

Someone was telling me about an injection she had for hayfever.  kennelog or something similar.  perhaps you could ask you doctor about it?  I'll try and find out the proper name.
I will investigate that.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/06 at 4:47 pm

Yeah, I remember people bemoaning the board's quietness and lacklustredness as early as when I joined in Feb 05, and even when Donnie WAS here, so I guess you can't please everybody. I personally think it is one of the most vibrant communities on the net.  :)

Many years ago,It was pretty busy here.

Check for new replies or respond here...