inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm Back

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 12:53 am

I decided to come back, after talking on Flashchat as Lego My Eggo, my joke alias. Sorry about that!  :D

Just so you all know, I am autistic; I have Asperger's Syndrome, which explains (but does not excuse, I stress) my repetitive topics and obsession with numbers, years, categorizing, and the like.  I am not mentally retarded though; my IQ is actually around 120-130.  I am a spazz, but I can also discuss things intelligently.

Lately, I've been kind of turned off from this place, so I won't be posting as obsessively, especially after what's happened over the past week or two.

Subject: Re: I'm Back

Written By: Tam on 06/13/06 at 1:00 am

Mike

I thank you for being honest with us in the flashchat.
I also thank you for the fact that others knew of this condition - so it gave you some credit.

I am going to try and be patient with you - I know it is going to be hard and challenging for you to not post tons of topics.
If you feel like you must - pm someone first to get their opinion so that you have a bit of standing ground. I will gladly help
you out when and if I can.

People are going to say "I've heard this before" but don't let them get you down. Stand your ground and concentrate hard
on how you want to be perceived on these boards.

For those of you who don't know what DD sufferes from - here is the link.
http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html

:)
Tam

Written By: Red Ant on 06/13/06 at 1:05 am

Welcome back Mike.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/13/06 at 1:22 am

I decided to come back, after talking on Flashchat as Lego My Eggo, my joke alias. Sorry about that!  :D

Just so you all know, I am autistic; I have Asperger's Syndrome, which explains (but does not excuse, I stress) my repetitive topics and obsession with numbers, years, categorizing, and the like.  I am not mentally retarded though; my IQ is actually around 120-130.  I am a spazz, but I can also discuss things intelligently.

Lately, I've been kind of turned off from this place, so I won't be posting as obsessively, especially after what's happened over the past week or two.
c'mon Donnie Darko, everyone knows it's not polite to call a doofus a spazz. I'm glad you're back and wish you'd return a pm now and then.  8)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/13/06 at 1:29 am

Welcome back again!

Written By: Bobo on 06/13/06 at 1:33 am

He's been returning plenty to me this morning... hasn't he sent anything to you?

c'mon Donnie Darko, everyone knows it's not polite to call a doofus a spazz. I'm glad you're back and wish you'd return a pm now and then.  8)

And incidentally, Donnie, I'm sure you know how I feel, but it's good to see you willing to take control of your problems and use them for good now.

Everyone else, let's welcome him back nicely now. He's prepared to stop making a mess of things. Good luck, brother.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 1:49 am

All I can say is...I KNEW YOU'D COME BACK SOONER OR LATER!!!  :D :D :D

Great to have you back, and glad you've come to your senses again!  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 06/13/06 at 5:47 am

With all your different usernames, I don't think you actually left.  ;D

However, it's good to see you back in your present state.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/13/06 at 10:41 am

Well, that was just about the fastest 7 months I've ever experienced. :P

Nah, It's good to have you back, Mike.

*The usual stabbing of the nads* Eh, by now you should be used to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/06 at 10:46 am

Welcome back, Donnie. You had me fooled with "Leggo my Eggo". I thought it was someone else.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 06/13/06 at 10:48 am

Knew the hiatus wouldn't last. ;D You stayed strong a good... week? :D

Seriously, though, welcome back. Just tone down the new threads and we'll all be cool.

"Leggo my Eggo" had me fooled too. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/13/06 at 10:59 am

Welcome back, Donnie. You had me fooled with "Leggo my Eggo". I thought it was someone else.  :-[

Cat

I knew it because you loved Beth's Pancake name a lot.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/13/06 at 11:09 am

I knew it because you loved Beth's Pancake name a lot.

I have no clue as to what you're talking about.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/13/06 at 11:14 am

I have no clue as to what you're talking about.

Psht, you gave that up a looong time ago, doesn't matter.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/13/06 at 1:01 pm

Good to see you back, Donnie.  :)

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/13/06 at 2:40 pm

I decided to come back, after talking on Flashchat as Lego My Eggo, my joke alias. Sorry about that!

OMG That was you? I seriously thought it was someone else. Well, you had us fooled.

But anyways, you're back!!!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/partytime.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/elefant.gif

*hugs*

Written By: chaka on 06/13/06 at 2:42 pm

Welcome back,Donnie!

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/13/06 at 3:08 pm

Because I'm Back, I'm Back - Come On
(Back Back - Really, Really Back)
You Know I'm Back, I'm Back - You Know It
You Know I'm Back, I'm Back - Come On, You Know
And The Whole World Has To Answer Right Now
Just To Tell You Once Again,
Who's Back...

;D ;D

Written By: Marian on 06/13/06 at 3:58 pm

With all your different usernames, I don't think you actually left.  ;D

However, it's good to see you back in your present state.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: Howard on 06/13/06 at 4:36 pm

Welcome Back Donnie  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/13/06 at 8:33 pm

Welcome back, Donnie. :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 8:56 pm

I'm glad to see you back!

For awhile they thought I had Aspergher's Syndrome. But I think it's just a variation, not necessarily an illness. I think I've learned to reconcile my love of categorization and lists with the rest of my life...and my interest in it always has to be channeled into something. But it runs in my family, a love of "categorization."

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 9:12 pm

I'm glad to see you back!

For awhile they thought I had Aspergher's Syndrome. But I think it's just a variation, not necessarily an illness. I think I've learned to reconcile my love of categorization and lists with the rest of my life...and my interest in it always has to be channeled into something. But it runs in my family, a love of "categorization."

Yeah, it's not really an illness. It can be difficult to live with sometimes, but the positive aspects of it arguably outweigh the negatives.

Written By: audkal on 06/13/06 at 11:19 pm

Hey bro I didn't know you were autistic!  I have a cousin who is autistic (named Eric), also, my mom's friend has a son who is autistic.

Eric's a cool kid, he's the same age as you...he has this gift, that was recently discovered by his mom.....if you tell him what your birthday is, he can tell you what day of the week you were born on, it's quite amazing.

WB Donnie!

Written By: Howard on 06/14/06 at 4:35 pm

Why'd you leave in the first place?

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/14/06 at 7:29 pm

I've been in Donnie's position before. I'm not autistic, but I am however ADD which is sorta in the same family. Welcome back DD! :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/14/06 at 7:46 pm

Yeah, it's not really an illness. It can be difficult to live with sometimes, but the positive aspects of it arguably outweigh the negatives.

You probably have it pretty mildly, since I've known some people with Aspergher's who have like, no interhuman empathy.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/14/06 at 7:52 pm

You probably have it pretty mildly, since I've known some people with Aspergher's who have like, no interhuman empathy.

I can and do currently take medication to treat it.  I am a pretty friendly guy, but I feel almost no empathy, unless I'm rebuked for doing something bad, because of the way I'm wired.

It is a handicap in some ways, but in other way it's a gift too.  I would describe Asperger's as the medical diagnosis of nerdiness.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/14/06 at 7:56 pm

I can and do currently take medication to treat it.  I am a pretty friendly guy, but I feel almost no empathy, unless I'm rebuked for doing something bad, because of the way I'm wired.

It is a handicap in some ways, but in other way it's a gift too.  I would describe Asperger's as the medical diagnosis of nerdiness.  ;D

Meh, you're empathetic towards me.

I think they tried to diagnose me with Asperger's, because I liked to be alone alot, read, create alternate universes and languages and stuff, arrange my toys a certain way (though it's not like I got upset if they were disturbed, but I arranged my toys like in a museum piece, not playing with them really), don't look people in the eye, and have ridiculously bad motor skills. But I'm sort of a "nerdy only child" type, and I'm concerned with other people, I was just severely shy/weird as a kid. I ended up taking meds for clinical depression, though, which I think was responsible for the "not having any friends at all" part of it. Whenever I'm depressed, I just hate being around people...it's upsetting to me. It upsets me how horrible they are. The human condition really upsets me. Also, it runs in my family...my dad was sort of like that and so was my grandfather on that side...like "clinically diagnosed shy nerds." My grandfather got the second highest standardized test scores in the state of New York for 1936, but was quite shy...he also has intimacy issues to the point of severity and a ridiculous "list type" knowledge of things. Probably, today, he would've been diagnosed with something.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/14/06 at 8:00 pm

You seem pretty normal to me, yeah you're into the decadeology stuff but that's not like overly weird or anything. Nothing wrong with being a nerd, a lot of people are in one way or another.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/14/06 at 8:05 pm

I think they tried to diagnose me with Asperger's, because I liked to be alone alot, read, create alternate universes and languages and stuff, arrange my toys a certain way (though it's not like I got upset if they were disturbed, but I arranged my toys like in a museum piece, not playing with them really), don't look people in the eye, and have ridiculously bad motor skills. But I'm sort of a "nerdy only child" type, and I'm concerned with other people, I was just severely shy/weird as a kid. I ended up taking meds for clinical depression, though, which I think was responsible for the "not having any friends at all" part of it. Whenever I'm depressed, I just hate being around people...it's upsetting to me. It upsets me how horrible they are. The human condition really upsets me. Also, it runs in my family...my dad was sort of like that and so was my grandfather on that side...like "clinically diagnosed shy nerds." My grandfather got the second highest standardized test scores in the state of New York for 1936, but was quite shy...he also has intimacy issues to the point of severity and a ridiculous "list type" knowledge of things. Probably, today, he would've been diagnosed with something.

That's.. kinda like me.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/14/06 at 8:07 pm

My screen name tells you what kind of a "geek" I am.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/14/06 at 8:08 pm

My screen name tells you what kind of a "geek" I am.

A chicken geek?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/14/06 at 8:36 pm

Thank you :)

I never look people in the eye  ;D

Written By: audkal on 06/14/06 at 10:25 pm

I think you probably have it mildly too....my cousin Eric has it pretty bad.  He is literally the smartest kid in his class, but from the way he talks and just stares and stuff, you'd think he's severely mentally challenged unfortunately.

Last year he went to a new school and the teacher called the school-nurse, and they were gonna call 911 because they thought he was like on drugs or something, so they called his dad and he was like "don't you know he's autistic?!" then they were just like "....oh"

It's too bad he has to go through life like that, but he's actually an incredibly smart kid.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, alot of people on the board seem to have it...particularly in the 'decadeology cliche'.  :-X

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/14/06 at 11:58 pm

I can totally identify with this too. I also was an only child and, while I always was probably a little advanced with "knowledge related" things (i.e. media, paying attention to detail with various things -- I guess it's easy to see why I also favor the "Decadeologist" stuff ;) ), I also was probably a little behind as far as social interactions. As a kid I didn't usually like hanging out with other kids (I preferred adult company 'cause I felt they were more interesting, etc).

In general, even today, the way I act VERY highly depends on my "surroundings" and can swing wildly. For instance, I'm very very outgoing around friends, family or just anyone whom I feel likes me or is interested in me. If I feel someone else isn't paying attention/doesn't care about me, I can get that "nervous/shy" feeling REALLY fast. This is usually true in group settings. I can interact one on one (or on-stage in front of tons of people :D ) really well, but again I'm freakin' horrible trying to meld into a group/clique.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/15/06 at 12:03 am

Hey bro I didn't know you were autistic!  I have a cousin who is autistic (named Eric), also, my mom's friend has a son who is autistic.

Eric's a cool kid, he's the same age as you...he has this gift, that was recently discovered by his mom.....if you tell him what your birthday is, he can tell you what day of the week you were born on, it's quite amazing.

WB Donnie!

Hey, back in 9th-10th Grade, there was this autistic kid in my school who could do the same thing. I checked a few dates and he was always right, regardless of the year ( 8) . He was a little slow, but certainly not "retarded" or anything of the like (I really felt sorry for him just 'cause of how some people teased him and all).

But yeah, there's different levels of anything (this kid was more severe, but still functionable). Some people don't understand things like this and are quick to judge, which is really unfortunate. I guess that's why I try to keep an open mind with everything.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 1:21 am

Hey, back in 9th-10th Grade, there was this autistic kid in my school who could do the same thing. I checked a few dates and he was always right, regardless of the year ( 8) . He was a little slow, but certainly not "retarded" or anything of the like (I really felt sorry for him just 'cause of how some people teased him and all).

But yeah, there's different levels of anything (this kid was more severe, but still functionable). Some people don't understand things like this and are quick to judge, which is really unfortunate. I guess that's why I try to keep an open mind with everything.

One thing I remember is that people would often make jokes about sexual slang words, etc., expecting me not to get them because they would think I thought they were just being nice (which often I did).  I'm not bitter about it, it's just something I've observed.

One thing I'm very bad at is mechanical stuff. If you asked me to fix a car, I would have no clue.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 2:40 am

One thing I remember is that people would often make jokes about sexual slang words, etc., expecting me not to get them because they would think I thought they were just being nice (which often I did).  I'm not bitter about it, it's just something I've observed.

One thing I'm very bad at is mechanical stuff. If you asked me to fix a car, I would have no clue.  ;D

Funnily enough, being adept at mechanics is supposed to be a trait of Autism/Asperger's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:23 am

I have like the worst motor skills in my class...that's part of the reason I think they suspected I had Asperger's.

Yeah, I agree, Marty...alot of it comes from being an only child. I was really socially inadept when I was 6 or 7, and liked talking to adults more. Though I did talk to adults alot, and they liked me because I was "mature" and tended to share facts with them about nature and space and animals, and such. I didn't start to "come out of my shell" until 3rd grade in terms of getting some friends, though there were a few girls that I talked to in lower elementary school, since girls are better at talking to people. I do terribly in cliques and always have, like most only children, I think.

There used to be an autistic kid in my grade, like SEVERELY autistic. He got sent away after 7th grade for a "special school", I remember. Also, there's a girl a grade above me who has Asperger's Syndrome, but pretty mildly...she doesn't have the numbers/categorization thing. It's more like she has no empathy. I once sat down and thought about why I didn't like her, and it's because she's a self-absorbed bitch, not because of any of the Asperger's.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 7:38 am

I have like the worst motor skills in my class...that's part of the reason I think they suspected I had Asperger's.

Yeah, I agree, Marty...alot of it comes from being an only child. I was really socially inadept when I was 6 or 7, and liked talking to adults more. Though I did talk to adults alot, and they liked me because I was "mature" and tended to share facts with them about nature and space and animals, and such. I didn't start to "come out of my shell" until 3rd grade in terms of getting some friends, though there were a few girls that I talked to in lower elementary school, since girls are better at talking to people. I do terribly in cliques and always have, like most only children, I think.

There used to be an autistic kid in my grade, like SEVERELY autistic. He got sent away after 7th grade for a "special school", I remember. Also, there's a girl a grade above me who has Asperger's Syndrome, but pretty mildly...she doesn't have the numbers/categorization thing. It's more like she has no empathy. I once sat down and thought about why I didn't like her, and it's because she's a self-absorbed bitch, not because of any of the Asperger's.

Yeah, as annoying as my little sister can be, I'd hate to be an older child...

So I'm guessing your shrink concluded you didn't have Asperger's after all?

Written By: Howard on 06/15/06 at 3:25 pm

My girlfriend Robin has Asperger's Syndrome

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 3:33 pm

My girlfriend Robin has Asperger's Syndrome

Does she have OCD too?

Written By: Howard on 06/15/06 at 3:34 pm

Does she have OCD too?

A slight case of it but she's smart as a whip sometimes.

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 3:38 pm

Yes, I'm sure she knows how to push your buttons.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/06 at 3:39 pm

Yes, I'm sure she knows how to push your buttons.

Sexually,physically,and emotionally

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 3:41 pm

Sexually,physically,and emotionally

'Aint that the truth.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/15/06 at 3:42 pm

'Aint that the truth.  :-\\

Are you referring to the "emotionally" part? ???

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 3:46 pm

I have it pretty badly, but I also have an I.Q. of around 125-130.

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 3:50 pm

Are you referring to the "emotionally" part? ???

The fact that she knows how to control you using those three things you mentioned.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/06 at 3:54 pm

I have it pretty badly, but I also have an I.Q. of around 125-130.

Robin's is slightly below that

Written By: Howard on 06/15/06 at 3:54 pm

The fact that she knows how to control you using those three things you mentioned.

I'm the string around her finger

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 3:56 pm

I'm the string around her finger

Indeed you are.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/06 at 3:56 pm

Indeed you are.

She also knows how to manipulate if that's what you want to call it?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/22/06 at 6:44 pm

Hey welcome back to the boards Donnie.  You da man.  8)

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/22/06 at 7:00 pm

Hey welcome back to the boards Donnie.  You da man.  8)

"That's right. I AM da man. I AM da man... I can do this".. Sorry, makes me think of those positive comments wrestlers get from their trainers.

Check for new replies or respond here...