inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does Anyone Here Have Mental Disorders?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 2:27 pm

Even posting at a board like this might be a symptom of a mental disorder.  ;D  Who here suffers from mental disorders?

Subject: Re: Does Anyone Here Have Mental Disorders?

Written By: Apricot on 06/21/06 at 2:39 pm

My father refuses to have me tested, but there's genetically about an 85% chance I have dysthymia. It's a long-running genetic thing.

People say I have mild OCD, but I think just about everyone has mild OCD.. it's called being organized. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 2:42 pm

My father refuses to have me tested, but there's genetically about an 85% chance I have dysthymia. It's a long-running genetic thing.

People say I have mild OCD, but I think just about everyone has mild OCD.. it's called being organized. ;D

I have OCD really bad. Not only will I check doors and windows, but I will worry about doing the most abhorrent things, and try to hold it back, thankfully usually successfully.  Usually I can subdue it, but sometimes I'll get some really bad attacks; it's very scary.

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/21/06 at 2:43 pm

Not me --- I'm perfectly sane --- that's what the voices in my head keep telling me!    ;)  :D  ;D 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 2:44 pm

Not me --- I'm perfectly sane --- that's what the voices in my head keep telling me!    ;)  :D  ;D 

;D

Written By: Apricot on 06/21/06 at 2:44 pm

I can't understand the voices in my head.. they speak in Spanish.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/21/06 at 2:46 pm

I'm clinically depressed and have a mild anxiety disorder and "phobic personality."

Written By: Step-chan on 06/21/06 at 2:47 pm

There were teachers that said I possibly had a mental disorder(I didn't know that being myself was a disorder).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 2:48 pm

I think almost everybody has some disorder of some sort.  I'd say maybe 1-3% of people could classify as insane; I'm one of them  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 2:50 pm

I've never been diagnosed with anything..but I am depressed a lot...I have very scary mood swings (from one extreme to the other)....and I have symptoms of OCD.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 2:52 pm

I've never been diagnosed with anything..but I am depressed a lot...I have very scary mood swings (from one extreme to the other)....and I have symptoms of OCD.

Do you ever feel like you're your own worst enemy? Those states scare me a lot  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 2:54 pm

Do you ever feel like you're your own worst enemy? Those states scare me a lot  :-\\

oh gosh...all the time actually. I expect so much from myself...and when it doesn't happen the way that I want it to...I get way down on myself. :-\\

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/21/06 at 2:55 pm

Almost everyone has symptoms of OCD and clinical depression, though. I think everyone is really depressed alot and some just talk about it more than others, and society has a problem with that, which is why clinical depression is hellishly overdiagnosed.

There's a long history of mental illness in my family. My maternal grandfather's mother, sister, and daughter (my aunt) are/were schizophrenic, my mother was anorexic and is clinically depressed, my father has anxiety disorder and mild Holocaust-child disorder, and my maternal grandmother is clinically depressed.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 2:57 pm

You know how sometimes you can just "feel" that something isn't right...that's how I am sometimes.  I have such opposite extremes at times...it's not even funny.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 2:57 pm

oh gosh...all the time actually. I expect so much from myself...and when it doesn't happen the way that I want it to...I get way down on myself. :-\\

I'm always afraid I'm going to destroy the good things in my life, by doing something I can't take back.  I just had such an attack about half and hour ago; good thing it passed.

You know how sometimes you can just "feel" that something isn't right...that's how I am sometimes.  I have such opposite extremes at times...it's not even funny.

Are you bipolar?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 2:59 pm

Do you think being mentally challenged can open you up to the paranormal?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 2:59 pm

I'm always afraid I'm going to destroy the good things in my life, by doing something I can't take back.  I just had such an attack about half and hour ago; good thing it passed.

Are you bipolar?

I do that sometimes. There are times when it takes all I have not to say or do something....and I visualize myself doing/saying it....but I don't really do it.

I don't know if I am or not...I've never been diagnosed.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/21/06 at 2:59 pm

Yeah, I know that feeling. Like you just feel totally off. Also, I tend to have very, very strange dreams when I'm not medicated. They're just full of anxiety and fear.

Personally, if I wanted to discuss my disorder...meh. I don't do it much. I think I probably have avoidant personality disorder. Though I think all conditions are overdiagnosed because our society can't accept that we have problems in the supposedly perfect postmodern era, and people need an explanation.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 3:00 pm

Do you think being mentally challenged can open you up to the paranormal?

I've actually heard stories before about mentally challenged individuals being susceptible to paranormal activity. I don't know how true it is...but it makes sense to me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 3:01 pm

I do that sometimes. There are times when it takes all I have not to say or do something....and I visualize myself doing/saying it....but I don't really do it.

I don't know if I am or not...I've never been diagnosed.

Are you ever tricked into thinking you've done something horrible, even when you probably haven't? Usually I can fight back my feelings, but sometimes I literally lose control.  I also think thoughts that are obscene, and mistake them as my own, when they're just paranoia.  It's a very dangerous thing, for yourself and others, only recently have I bothered to get help.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 3:03 pm

Are you ever tricked into thinking you've done something horrible, even when you probably haven't? Usually I can fight back my feelings, but sometimes I literally lose control.  I also think thoughts that are obscene, and mistake them as my own, when they're just paranoia.  It's a very dangerous thing, for yourself and others, only recently have I bothered to get help.

no, I've never done that. The only thing similar to it that I have done was to think about saying something so much, that after awhile...I can't remember if I actually said it or not, and then I don't want to take the risk of repeating myself....but that's about it.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/21/06 at 3:03 pm

OCD is a living hell. I wouldn't even wish it upon my worst enemy. It's not "cute" the way it's represented sometimes - like for example in As Good As It Gets.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 3:04 pm

no, I've never done that. The only thing similar to it that I have done was to think about saying something so much, that after awhile...I can't remember if I actually said it or not, and then I don't want to take the risk of repeating myself....but that's about it.

That's a good thing.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/21/06 at 3:05 pm

Hmm...no one's responding to my posts  ;D.

I have had very specific, crippling fears in my life: public restrooms, up escalators, long stairways, this kid who I severely "broke up" with, vampires, being alone, my own closet, the kitchen in my own house, to which I developed avoidance disorders.

Written By: Apricot on 06/21/06 at 3:05 pm

Are you ever tricked into thinking you've done something horrible, even when you probably haven't?

All the time. It's gotten to the point that I really believe there's something terrible that I'm doing.. I spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 3:06 pm

OCD is a living hell. I wouldn't even wish it upon my worst enemy. It's not "cute" the way it's represented sometimes - like for example in As Good As It Gets.

OCD is extremely destructive.

Written By: Apricot on 06/21/06 at 3:07 pm

Yes, I agree. My point in that post was that OCD is an widely-abused term.. like, anybody who doesn't like laundry all over the floor will say "Ha, that's my OCD kicking in!".. that annoys me.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/21/06 at 3:07 pm

I have had very specific, crippling fears in my life: public restrooms, up escalators, long stairways, this kid who I severely "broke up" with, vampires, being alone, my own closet, the kitchen in my own house, to which I developed avoidance disorders.

I used to be afraid of the Garbage Pail Kids.

Still don't like them, but at least that fear went away.*

*BTW, if anyone wants to get even with me for my catgirl image posting antics........

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 3:08 pm

I have some really odd phobias as well (and some of them are more recent things that I was never afraid of). I have this really bad fear of large objects in the sky. I hate airplanes (I can't even look at a picture of one close-up without getting creeped out), I can't stand to see hot air balloons...they are creepy the way that they lurk around and then all of a sudden...BOOM, there it is big as day. I don't like large water towers (I hate seeing the silhouette of them at night), I don't like to see those blimps that you see at the beach.....and I even hate sunflowers (because of how abnormally large they are, IMO).  Yes...I am pretty darn strange.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/21/06 at 3:17 pm

I have some really odd phobias as well (and some of them are more recent things that I was never afraid of). I have this really bad fear of large objects in the sky. I hate airplanes (I can't even look at a picture of one close-up without getting creeped out), I can't stand to see hot air balloons...they are creepy the way that they lurk around and then all of a sudden...BOOM, there it is big as day. I don't like large water towers (I hate seeing the silhouette of them at night), I don't like to see those blimps that you see at the beach.....and I even hate sunflowers (because of how abnormally large they are, IMO).  Yes...I am pretty darn strange.

Well at least you're very appropriately named.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 3:18 pm

Well at least you're very appropriately named.  ;D

yes, you got that right! ;) ;D

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/21/06 at 3:22 pm

Yes, I agree. My point in that post was that OCD is an widely-abused term.. like, anybody who doesn't like laundry all over the floor will say "Ha, that's my OCD kicking in!".. that annoys me.

I completely, completely agree.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 3:29 pm

I completely, completely agree.

For me it's actually a handicap, that's when I think the diagnosis is accurate.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/06 at 4:03 pm

I have OCD and a learning disability.Robin has Asperger's Syndrome

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/21/06 at 7:16 pm

Unless there's something nobody is telling me, I don't think so.

I do have odd tendencies, and strange things annoy me, but I wouldn't say it's a disorder!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/21/06 at 8:00 pm

at least 10-11 years ago I had a bout with secondary depression, whatever the heck that is, mainly due to stress from awful work situation, I hated my job & other issues. Therapy and medication helped.  I also had anxiety/panic disorder which was a trip because a panic attack could happen with no warning, & anyone that's had them knows they aren't fun. you can't function at all. it's been many years since I suffered from those, although once in awhile I may have a mild one & then I just pop a Xanax or 2 and I'm good to go. Environment change & lifestyle changes made a huge difference in improving the quality of my life.

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/06 at 9:09 pm

I used to be afraid of the Garbage Pail Kids.

Still don't like them, but at least that fear went away.*

*BTW, if anyone wants to get even with me for my catgirl image posting antics........

http://www.skadz.com/images/harrypotty.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/21/06 at 9:18 pm

that's messed up Jason, but Step-Chan did open the door to it  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 9:19 pm

I used to love Garbage Pail Kids. My mom and dad never wanted me to have them because they thought that they were gross. ::)

Written By: Johnny_D on 06/21/06 at 9:23 pm

I have Rubik's Syndrome -- I can't seem to get my cubicle back the way it was.  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/21/06 at 9:38 pm

I have Rubik's Syndrome -- I can't seem to get my cubicle back the way it was.   ;D

Johnny, you joker, you.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/21/06 at 11:18 pm

Hmm...no one's responding to my posts  ;D.

Weirdo!  ;D

Yes, I used to have a fear of escalators as a kid - mainly cos of my fear of heights. I also fear high balconies, theme park rides, wittnessing supernatural phenomenon, steep stairways.etc.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/21/06 at 11:49 pm

everyone has mild OCD.. it's called being organized. ;D
Not me then.  :-\\

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/06 at 4:07 pm

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/06 at 4:09 pm

I used to love Garbage Pail Kids. My mom and dad never wanted me to have them because they thought that they were gross. ::)

My sister had them, just imagine how much that drove me nuts!

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/06 at 4:14 pm

And wishes he had some airfreshener.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/06 at 4:26 pm

OCD is extremely destructive.

Is that a fact?

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/22/06 at 4:37 pm

I can't understand the voices in my head.. they speak in Spanish.

"Largate Cabron!"

"Mueren, mueren, mueren!"

"Morir es vivir!"

"Atras de ti, imbecil!"

"Huevo!"

(Just about the extent of my Spanish. Well, okay, I am lying. But these are the only phrases I actually bother to use IRL...)

Written By: Howard on 06/22/06 at 4:39 pm

"Largate Cabron!"

"Morir es vivir!"

"Atras de ti, imbecil!"

"Huevo!"

(Just about the extent of my Spanish. Well, okay, I am lying. But these are the only phrases I actually bother to use IRL...)

That's why you have to talk to yourself.

Written By: chaka on 06/22/06 at 4:50 pm

As far as I know I don't have any mental disorders but my brother's autistic,I don't really know if that affects me (?)
But I used to have panic attacks,awful,I just hope they never happen again.
I've never been on medication either.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/22/06 at 4:58 pm

After the birth of my son I was treated for depression and anxiety.  I'm much better now, but I still have anxiety, just not as bad as it was two years ago.

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/22/06 at 5:32 pm

That's why you have to talk to yourself.

Oh yeah? And how do you know that I am not the voices you are hearing in your head?

Written By: Howard on 06/22/06 at 5:48 pm

Oh yeah? And how do you know that I am not the voices you are hearing in your head?

I don't know what I'm hearing. ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/22/06 at 5:49 pm

"Largate Cabron!"

"Morir es vivir!"

"Atras de ti, imbecil!"

"Huevo!"

Er... to die is to live!?

Deep stuff, there. :O AND YOU SWORE!

Written By: audkal on 06/22/06 at 11:34 pm

I think I have mild OCD with checking doorknobs and such, I also used to do that thing where you turn the lightswitches on/off like 10 times.

I also believe I have Tourette's Syndrome though I've never been diagnosed with it, then again I've never really seen a doctor about it anyway so, how could I've been diagnosed with it?  I have Tics/Twitches that are very hard to control.  I started having them when I was about 6 or 7, ones where I whip my head back and excessive blinking, or my fingers and hands clench in an odd way.....and recently, started having verbal twitches.  Usually a grunt, or move my lips and make "S" sounds.  I will admit for a little while I had one where I whispered the F word, luckily that one went quickly.

It just sucks because my body can't control the tics, I'm scared of driving because I do my neck and eye tics while driving and literally almost get in an accident.

Written By: Gis on 06/23/06 at 1:37 am

When I was 16 I was diagnosed as clinically depressed, I also used to have panic attacks up to the age of 21 thankfully they have gone now. I have learned to live with the depression. It has got milder as I've got older and now I recognise the signs so I know when it's coming and can deal with it.
Just like everyone else, I have various mental illnesses dotted through my family from my great grandmother who was psychotic (glad I never met her !!) to various forms of depression.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/23/06 at 1:45 am

The only thing I get real OCD about are locks.  Growing up in Chicago, I was taught to always make sure doors were locked, deadbolts were attached, chains were on....stuff like that.  Well, even though we don't live in that kind of area anymore, I can't go to bed unless the patio door is locked and the night guard is put on, the front door is locked, all the shades/blinds downstairs are pulled down tight/closed and the garage door (door leading from house to garage) is locked and deadbolted.  If I haven't checked all these things at least 10 times, I can't go to bed.  In fact, if I think I haven't checked enough, I will wake up, go downstairs and do so. 

It annoys the hell out of my parents, because they think it's excessive given where we live now, but you can take the girl out of Chicago, but you can't take the Chicago out of the girl.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/23/06 at 4:21 am

The only thing I get real OCD about are locks.  Growing up in Chicago, I was taught to always make sure doors were locked, deadbolts were attached, chains were on....stuff like that.  Well, even though we don't live in that kind of area anymore, I can't go to bed unless the patio door is locked and the night guard is put on, the front door is locked, all the shades/blinds downstairs are pulled down tight/closed and the garage door (door leading from house to garage) is locked and deadbolted.  If I haven't checked all these things at least 10 times, I can't go to bed.  In fact, if I think I haven't checked enough, I will wake up, go downstairs and do so. 

It annoys the hell out of my parents, because they think it's excessive given where we live now, but you can take the girl out of Chicago, but you can't take the Chicago out of the girl.

lol...yeah, I think it largely depends on the neighbourhood you grow up in. My mum is the lock-fanatic in our house. Our suburb is one of the safest, but we're still careful with locks as burglaries are quite commonplace (we've been burgled once before).

Written By: Bobby on 06/23/06 at 7:12 am

I was diagnosed with clinical depression at the age of 18 (as a result of events that ocurred in my life) and, despite a bout of it last year for understandable reasons, I made the change to think positively. I knew that the only way to get out of it was to keep on improving my life in anyway I could. It is a big challenge but, since my ex and I went our seperate ways, I have improved so much as a person in ways I never thought I would.

My heart goes out to every person with mental illness in all forms, they face a continual battle to get on with their lives.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/06 at 3:12 pm

OCD and a learning disability

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/23/06 at 3:14 pm

I think I have mild OCD with checking doorknobs and such, I also used to do that thing where you turn the lightswitches on/off like 10 times.

I also believe I have Tourette's Syndrome though I've never been diagnosed with it, then again I've never really seen a doctor about it anyway so, how could I've been diagnosed with it?  I have Tics/Twitches that are very hard to control.  I started having them when I was about 6 or 7, ones where I whip my head back and excessive blinking, or my fingers and hands clench in an odd way.....and recently, started having verbal twitches.  Usually a grunt, or move my lips and make "S" sounds.  I will admit for a little while I had one where I whispered the F word, luckily that one went quickly.

It just sucks because my body can't control the tics, I'm scared of driving because I do my neck and eye tics while driving and literally almost get in an accident.

I'm the same way.  I think I might be slightly paralyzed in my left side also. 

Written By: jackas on 06/23/06 at 3:17 pm

Body Dysmorphic Disorder...the explanation of the disorder is below.   In a nutshell, I really dislike how I look.  Not so much my body, mostly my face, hair and skin.  I always have makeup on and my hair has to be perfectly groomed.  I have days where it takes me an hour to pick out an outfit and get dressed because anything I put on makes me look worse. During these episodes I start to get really anxious...kind of a desperate feeling.  Also, if I see an attractive man somewhere, I will look away from him so that he can't see what I look like....stuff like that.  

From Wikipedia....

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a mental disorder, which involves a disturbed body image. Body dysmorphic disorder is generally diagnosed of those who are extremely critical of their physique or self image, despite the fact there may be no noticeable disfigurement or defect; individuals secluding themselves from social interaction, often avoiding seeing themselves through a mirror or reflection.

Most people wish they could change or improve their physical appearance, but some people, otherwise considered normal, believe that they are so unspeakably hideous that they are unable to interact with others or function normally for fear of ridicule and humiliation at their ugliness.

BDD focuses on an individual's preoccupation with an imagined physical defect in their appearance although this person looks reasonably normal. This disorder has been referred to as "imagined ugliness" (Barlow, 2006).

It is estimated that BDD affects 1 in 50 people, mostly teenagers and young adults. Low self-esteem is a trademark of those with BDD due to their perceived physical flaws (Phillips, 1991).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/23/06 at 7:48 pm

Body Dysmorphic Disorder...the explanation of the disorder is below.   In a nutshell, I really dislike how I look.  Not so much my body, mostly my face, hair and skin.  I always have makeup on and my hair has to be perfectly groomed.  I have days where it takes me an hour to pick out an outfit and get dressed because anything I put on makes me look worse. During these episodes I start to get really anxious...kind of a desperate feeling.  Also, if I see an attractive man somewhere, I will look away from him so that he can't see what I look like....stuff like that.  

From Wikipedia....

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a mental disorder, which involves a disturbed body image. Body dysmorphic disorder is generally diagnosed of those who are extremely critical of their physique or self image, despite the fact there may be no noticeable disfigurement or defect; individuals secluding themselves from social interaction, often avoiding seeing themselves through a mirror or reflection.

Most people wish they could change or improve their physical appearance, but some people, otherwise considered normal, believe that they are so unspeakably hideous that they are unable to interact with others or function normally for fear of ridicule and humiliation at their ugliness.

BDD focuses on an individual's preoccupation with an imagined physical defect in their appearance although this person looks reasonably normal. This disorder has been referred to as "imagined ugliness" (Barlow, 2006).

It is estimated that BDD affects 1 in 50 people, mostly teenagers and young adults. Low self-esteem is a trademark of those with BDD due to their perceived physical flaws (Phillips, 1991).

awww Chrissy...you have nothing to worry about hun...you're beautiful! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/23/06 at 7:57 pm

BDD focuses on an individual's preoccupation with an imagined physical defect in their appearance although this person looks reasonably normal.

from what I've seen, there are no noticeable disfigurements or defects.  8)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/23/06 at 8:09 pm

I suffer from OUCD (Obsessive use of the computer disorder)

Apart from that, nothing I know of.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/23/06 at 8:10 pm

I agree. Chrissy is beautiful  :-*  :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/23/06 at 8:16 pm

indeed she is Donnie, for sure but everyone sees themselves differently and when they don't really admire what they see, thats where you and I come in with the comps  ;)  It's our moral duty as men  8)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/23/06 at 8:20 pm

awww Chrissy...you have nothing to worry about hun...you're beautiful! :)

Then its settled!  Chrissy is a hotty.

indeed she is Donnie, for sure but everyone sees themselves differently and when they don't really admire what they see, thats where you and I come in with the comps  ;)  It's our moral duty as men  8)

I agree.  Women should be able to feel sexy, in my humble opinion. 8)

Cheers!  http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/files/smileys/icon_guinsmile.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/23/06 at 8:25 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/23/06 at 8:28 pm

We guys worry about our appearance too.  A lot like to make out like they don't- but they do.

Written By: jackas on 06/23/06 at 8:31 pm

Thanks, all of you.  You're all very sweet.  And by no means did I tell you all that to get attention...bobby...it is truly how I feel.

I know people try to help by telling me that I'm not as bad as I think I am, but it's all in my head and it's all very disfunctional....I realize that, but I really don't know how to change it.  I try to tell myself it's what is on the inside that matters...blah, blah, blah...it only works for a little while and then I go back to my crazy obsessive self. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/23/06 at 8:41 pm

Thanks, all of you.  You're all very sweet.  And by no means did I tell you all that to get attention...bobby...it is truly how I feel.

I know people try to help by telling me that I'm not as bad as I think I am, but it's all in my head and it's all very disfunctional....I realize that, but I really don't know how to change it.  I try to tell myself it's what is on the inside that matters...blah, blah, blah...it only works for a little while and then I go back to my crazy obsessive self. ::)

I can sympathize with you...I get so down and hard on myself sometimes...it's horrible. :-\\

Written By: jackas on 06/23/06 at 8:53 pm

I can sympathize with you...I get so down and hard on myself sometimes...it's horrible. :-\\

Thanks Erin :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/23/06 at 9:12 pm

I used to get obsessive about closing curtains when lights where on and disliking when people were able to "see in". Wouldn't call it OCD, just an annoyingly paranoid habit.

Written By: jackas on 06/23/06 at 9:17 pm

I used to get obsessive about closing curtains when lights where on and disliking when people were able to "see in". Wouldn't call it OCD, just an annoyingly paranoid habit.

Totally!  I mean, you don't want people seeing everything you're doing.  And believe me...they would be looking.

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/24/06 at 2:53 pm

Er... to die is to live!?

Deep stuff, there. :O AND YOU SWORE!

Oh, I have more where THAT mierda came from!

Written By: Apricot on 06/24/06 at 3:57 pm

lol...yeah, I think it largely depends on the neighbourhood you grow up in. My mum is the lock-fanatic in our house. Our suburb is one of the safest, but we're still careful with locks as burglaries are quite commonplace (we've been burgled once before).

I actually UN-lock doors obsessively.. I'm afraid I'm gonna get locked in a room and die or something.

Written By: ADH13 on 06/24/06 at 5:50 pm

I am usually fine during the day...

but when I have bad cases of insomnia and I'm in bed but can't sleep, I tend to start thinking really negative/scary thoughts where I worry that bad things are going to happen to me or my family and I stress about what I didn't get done (even if I got everything done, I worry that I am forgetting about something) and I start to worry that I left the oven on, then I have to get up and check, stupid stuff like that...

Written By: Bobby on 06/24/06 at 6:24 pm

I am usually fine during the day...

but when I have bad cases of insomnia and I'm in bed but can't sleep, I tend to start thinking really negative/scary thoughts where I worry that bad things are going to happen to me or my family and I stress about what I didn't get done (even if I got everything done, I worry that I am forgetting about something) and I start to worry that I left the oven on, then I have to get up and check, stupid stuff like that...

I totally understand you, Andrea.

Though when I lie in bed at night, it's not usually scary thoughts, I just get philosophical about my life and that's enough to do my head in. Touch wood I've been pretty good lately. I did take natural remedies but I think they may be contributing to nightmares I have had recently (usually about getting shot).

Written By: ADH13 on 06/24/06 at 9:44 pm

I totally understand you, Andrea.

Though when I lie in bed at night, it's not usually scary thoughts, I just get philosophical about my life and that's enough to do my head in. Touch wood I've been pretty good lately. I did take natural remedies but I think they may be contributing to nightmares I have had recently (usually about getting shot).

Wow.. I usually don't have nightmares, but I have similar episodes while I'm awake...  I also can't have my hands/arms hanging off the side of the bed.. for some reason, that makes me very nervous.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/24/06 at 9:46 pm

Wow.. I usually don't have nightmares, but I have similar episodes while I'm awake...  I also can't have my hands/arms hanging off the side of the bed.. for some reason, that makes me very nervous.

I get semi-nervous with that.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/25/06 at 11:02 am

I actually UN-lock doors obsessively.. I'm afraid I'm gonna get locked in a room and die or something.

Lol...If there's a fire and you fall asleep and the door is locked, it may be problematic getting you out quick if an axe is not handy. That's if you're not woken by the scent of smoke and impending doom.

Written By: jackas on 06/26/06 at 7:39 am

Though when I lie in bed at night, it's not usually scary thoughts, I just get philosophical about my life and that's enough to do my head in.

I do the same thing. ;D

Written By: Tia on 06/26/06 at 7:57 am

i'm 100% fine. perfectly okay.

everything's fine here. thanks.

no, really. nothing to see. move along. everything's fine now.

Written By: KKay on 06/26/06 at 8:52 am

Same here. But mine comes from some boogey-man or alien fear.  That makes it very very silly.
and that's not a disorder.

otherwise all's well.  or at least that's what the voices tell me. :)

Written By: Howard on 06/26/06 at 4:43 pm

i'm 100% fine. perfectly okay.

everything's fine here. thanks.

no, really. nothing to see. move along. everything's fine now.

You must have something wrong with you? ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...