inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How did you get your first name?

Written By: audkal on 07/02/06 at 10:17 pm

My parents were going to name me Emily, until my mom saw an episode of Mr. Rogers (my brother was watching it), there was a character/duck puppet named "Audrey Duck", so my mom thought, "Audrey is a pretty name", lol.  I like my name, but still, I WAS NAMED AFTER A PUPPET!  :D

Subject: Re: How did you get your first name?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/06 at 10:19 pm

My parents were obsessed with the TV show, "The Waltons"....and one of the characters names was Erin....so, it was either that..or they were gonna name me after my dad, Michael...and call me Mickey....AGGHGHGH...thank God they discovered the name Erin! ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/02/06 at 10:24 pm

Beth is a very old family name, and the name of my paternal great-grandmother.

Written By: CeeKay on 07/02/06 at 10:25 pm

My parents were obsessed with the TV show, "The Waltons"....and one of the characters names was Erin....so, it was either that..or they were gonna name me after my dad, Michael...and call me Mickey....AGGHGHGH...thank God they discovered the name Erin! ;)

Michael is the first name of the actress who played the mom on The Waltons.  Perhaps they didn't realize that or it might have swayed their opinion  :).  Erin is nice.

Written By: CeeKay on 07/02/06 at 10:27 pm

My parents were going to name me Wendy Ellen but instead they named me Connie Lynn.  I have no idea why. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/06 at 10:37 pm

Michael is the first name of the actress who played the mom on The Waltons.  Perhaps they didn't realize that or it might have swayed their opinion  :).  Erin is nice.

they actually did know of that...however, someone somewhere must have persuaded them to choose Erin..and boy am I glad! LOL! :D ;D ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:59 pm

Beth is a very old family name, and the name of my paternal great-grandmother.

Is that Elizabeth?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/02/06 at 11:02 pm

Is that Elizabeth?

No.  My name is Beth.  If it was Elizabeth, I would have said that my name was Elizabeth.

Written By: nally on 07/02/06 at 11:06 pm

Easy. My parents decided to name me Jeffrey. :)

Written By: audkal on 07/02/06 at 11:08 pm

But do you know how they got the idea to name you Jeffrey?  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/02/06 at 11:10 pm

It was one of the few names they liked and could agree on. I'm not named after anybody in particular...I do want to name my children Charlotte Marianne (after both my grandmothers) and Bernard Robert (after both my grandfathers.)

Written By: nally on 07/02/06 at 11:11 pm

But do you know how they got the idea to name you Jeffrey?  :)

I asked them about it...and they told me they wanted to give me a good name. They weren't gonna name me after a descendant in either side of the family; they wanted to give me a unique name. As far as I know, they hadn't had any girls' names picked out.

Written By: nally on 07/02/06 at 11:14 pm

I'm not named after anybody in particular...

Neither am I...as I explained in my above post.

Also...I do not intend to name my kids after anyone in particular.

Written By: Abix on 07/02/06 at 11:58 pm

Ok, I may have posted the story of my first name before, so IF I have, move on to the next post.  My name is Angel. I am the only living girl of my mother's 5 live births. I had two sisters preceding me. My sister, Justina Louise, (they called her Tina) , was born in  October 1963. My sister SanDee Kaye was born February 1965. My sister SanDee died in April 1965 of 'crib death' (what's now known as SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).  15 months later July 3rd, 1966 (40 years ago today to be exact) , my sister Tina died of an asthma attack.  On my sister SanDee's grave it says "Our Little Angel" . On Tina's grave it says, "Our One and Only Tina" . My mother said that if she ever had another baby girl, she would name her Angel. Well lo and behold, she conceived me the very next month,  because I was  born in May 1967. and so I  was  named Angel. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/06 at 1:34 am

My parents gave me my christian name.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/03/06 at 1:50 am

My parents gave me my christian name.

I gave myself my own name, as I was something of an infante prodigy, being able to read and write latin at the tender age of 6 months. Unfortunately, I had a severe accident while I was in a stroller and hit my head on the concrete, resulting in me losing my super-intelligence.

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/06 at 2:20 am

My Mom originally wanted to name me Gregory, but my Dad said no because he knew a gay guy in University named Gregory ;D

Eventually she settled on Jason.  I wasn't named after anyone special.  It was basically a name she pulled out of thin air

Written By: NullandVoid on 07/03/06 at 2:23 am

Once upon a time, a lot of Black people in the late 60's to 70's started converting themselves to "Seven Percenter Muslims". It's like being a Muslim Lite (no diss to anyone). Some of the major characteristics of being a 7% er was denying yourself bacon, ham, chitlins and any other Pork product as well a rejecting your slave name. Tyrone Johnson now became Knowledge Supreme Shabazz and so on and so forth. Now my Father who was a 7% er , upon getting serious with my mom changed her name from Deana to Sha-Qona...When I was born, the hyphenated name was passed to me.

Written By: Gis on 07/03/06 at 3:38 am

Well I was meant to be a boy apparently cos my parents had no girls names picked out. When I arrived and wasn't a boy, my mum said they argued over names for a week. She wanted to call me Stephanie but my dad didn't like it .The story goes that my dad saw my name in the paper one morning, liked it and went and registered me. Mum said he came to the hospital that afternoon and said 'By the way I registered her as Gisela' and my mum was like 'oh......right'
I imagine I was hanging over the side of my crib at the time going 'you've done WHAT??!!'
I have to say I have hated my name most of my life and now have a kind of grudging acceptance of it.

Written By: Paul on 07/03/06 at 6:57 am

I was originally earmarked to be called 'Geoffrey' (after England's World Cup hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst)...it was probably my dad's idea, but somewhere along the way, it got kiboshed (a bit like an English World Cup team of today!)

I'm not sure where Paul came into the picture...I would assume from a certain member of The Beatles, but my parents weren't massive fans of them...

Written By: Morton on 07/03/06 at 8:28 am

I'm named after my dad (both first and last name). I was one of only 5 people in my entire school year who didn't have a middle name, and I was the only one in my form class  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/06 at 11:10 am

Once upon a time, a lot of Black people in the late 60's to 70's started converting themselves to "Seven Percenter Muslims". It's like being a Muslim Lite (no diss to anyone). Some of the major characteristics of being a 7% er was denying yourself bacon, ham, chitlins and any other Pork product as well a rejecting your slave name. Tyrone Johnson now became Knowledge Supreme Shabazz and so on and so forth. Now my Father who was a 7% er , upon getting serious with my mom changed her name from Deana to Sha-Qona...When I was born, the hyphenated name was passed to me.

Shaq....you're back!! YAY!!! so good to see you! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/06 at 11:51 am

I was given a variation of my great-grandmother's baptismal name (which was different from the name everyone called her-a name my mother didn't like-which I am glad because I like the name she did give me much better). She died a year before I was born.

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/03/06 at 11:56 am

My first name which is Wallace came from my father and grandfather. I'm the third.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/06 at 12:34 pm

My mom had always liked the Scandinavian name, Karen, and so that's what I was called when I was born.

BTW, I've always preferred my middle name...since Karen was way too common. 

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/03/06 at 12:51 pm

Nuttin' special. I was named after both my grandfather (mother's side) and uncle (again, mother's side).

If I ever have a kid I plan to name him/her after my mother and brother (if it's a boy) or after two of my late aunts (sisters to my mother), if it's a girl. I like that kind of namegiving. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/06 at 12:53 pm

Looking back in the family history (over 200 years Paternal and 240 years Materal), I think I am the first Philip in my direct family.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/06 at 1:12 pm

My mother got the suggestion for my name from my grandmother. The name Kristen was not too common prior to 1982. Most parents named their daughters Christina or Christy, but not Kristen. Supposedly, Kristin became the most popular name for 1982 born kids. Lucky us. My mother was going to name me Kristy Marie, but then when she told one of her pregnant co-workers, that co-worker decided to take that name. So, my mom opted for me to have her first name as my middle name. So, my name is Kristen Carole.  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/03/06 at 1:45 pm

My mom had always liked the Scandinavian name, Karen, and so that's what I was called when I was born.

BTW, I've always preferred my middle name...since Karen was way too common. 

Karen is my younger sister's name.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/06 at 1:48 pm

Karen is my younger sister's name.
I have a second cousin with th ename Karen.

Written By: Paul on 07/03/06 at 2:30 pm

How co-incidental...so have I...!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/06 at 2:32 pm

My mother always liked the name Latanya.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/06 at 2:36 pm

As far as I know, I am the only Karen in my family...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/06 at 3:02 pm

And I have a cousin named Paul...whom I haven't seen since I was about 10 years old!  :D

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/03/06 at 3:08 pm

My parents asked my sister what she wanted to name me, she said Carol.  My middle name is Anne, after my mother.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/06 at 3:11 pm

My parents asked my sister what she wanted to name me, she said Carol.  My middle name is Anne, after my mother.

Oh my gosh!  My mother's first name is Carol...and her middle name Anne!  8)

Written By: Paul on 07/03/06 at 3:16 pm

(Hums the 'Twilight Zone' theme...)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/03/06 at 3:17 pm

(Hums the 'Twilight Zone' theme...)

LOL!  ;D

Written By: nally on 07/03/06 at 3:26 pm

Looking back in the family history (over 200 years Paternal and 240 years Maternal), I think I am the first Philip in my direct family.

Likewise, I am probably the first Jeffrey in my direct family; recently my parents have been researching their family histories (and I've participated in it too)...and we did not come across any Jeffreys.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/06 at 3:28 pm

Likewise, I am probably the first Jeffrey in my direct family; recently my parents have been researching their family histories (and I've participated in it too)...and we did not come across any Jeffreys.
In my father's line the popular names were Thomas, Francis, William and Moses. I continue the link with giving my son the middle name Francis.

Written By: CeeKay on 07/03/06 at 3:38 pm

We named my daughter through a similar process.  My husband and I were discussing names and we asked the boys (then 4 and 2) "what do you think we should name the baby if it's a girl?"  Immediately, our 4 year old said, "Name her Katrina!"  I loved the name, and we did just that.  

Written By: La Roche on 07/03/06 at 3:43 pm

I was going to be called Henry. Thankfully somebody pointed out that Henry is a far better name for a dog than a boy.

I'm not really too sure where Andrew came from.
Whilst doing some research in to family history I did however find quite a lot of Andrew's, Ander's and Andre's so I guess it all came full circle.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/06 at 3:45 pm

I will ask my mother where Philip came from, but I reckon it may be from Prince Philip.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/03/06 at 6:28 pm

I was going to be called Henry. Thankfully somebody pointed out that Henry is a far better name for a dog than a boy.

I'm not really too sure where Andrew came from.
Whilst doing some research in to family history I did however find quite a lot of Andrew's, Ander's and Andre's so I guess it all came full circle.

Hey, Henry is a great name for a boy!  One of my very best friends is named Henry.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/03/06 at 6:58 pm

We named my daughter through a similar process.  My husband and I were discussing names and we asked the boys (then 4 and 2) "what do you think we should name the baby if it's a girl?"  Immediately, our 4 year old said, "Name her Katrina!"  I loved the name, and we did just that.  

Katrina is a lovely name.  It's a good thing my sister and your boys picked good names.  They coulda wanted to name us Pickle or Poopy!  LOL!!

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/03/06 at 6:59 pm

Oh my gosh!  My mother's first name is Carol...and her middle name Anne!  8)

Cool, and it's Anne with an "e' too!!

Written By: jackas on 07/03/06 at 9:56 pm

Well my first name is actually Mary.....GAG!!!!

My mother's name is Mary and my father's mother is Mary too.  I guess they didn't want to be the only ones suffering. ;) :P

Written By: CeeKay on 07/03/06 at 11:26 pm

Katrina is a lovely name.  It's a good thing my sister and your boys picked good names.  They coulda wanted to name us Pickle or Poopy!  LOL!!

;D That's very funny!  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/03/06 at 11:39 pm

I don't know why you're gagging, I think Mary is a really pretty name and its become underused these days.

Of course I may be biased because the first girl I fell for's name was Mary.

Written By: jackas on 07/03/06 at 11:41 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/03/06 at 11:42 pm

I'll scratch your eyes out!

:D

It's just.......so NOT me.

Think of it this way Chrissy, your initials are M.C.! 8)

Oh, I'm dead.  :D

Written By: jackas on 07/03/06 at 11:45 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Dagwood on 07/04/06 at 12:11 am

I was named Dagny after the character Dagny Taggart in the book Atlas Shrugged.  My mother loves that book and here I am.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/04/06 at 12:13 am

Maria..simply Catholic..not Spanish,Portuguese or otherwise as i'm often asked  :)

Written By: audkal on 07/04/06 at 12:20 am

:o  My father and my oldest brother both have the name Henry....though we usually just call my brother "Hank", perhaps when he's like 40 we'll start calling him Henry, lol.

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/04/06 at 12:22 am

I like Henry too.

I guess I've just heard of so many damn Hunters, Chases, Trevors etc. that the "traditional" names now seem more unique.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/04/06 at 12:22 am

My mother's name is Mary and my father's mother is Mary too.  I guess they didn't want to be the only ones suffering. ;) :P

One thing I hear alot from people who go by their middle names is that they can always tell when it's a telemarketer on the phone because they are the only ones who ask for your first name.  Then you can say "Sorry, she doesn't live here anymore" :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/04/06 at 12:24 am

One thing I hear alot from people who go by their middle names is that they can always tell when it's a telemarketer on the phone because they are the only ones who ask for your first name.  Then you can say "Sorry, she doesn't live here anymore" :)

I go by my middle name, Alex.  My first names Wallace.

Written By: jackas on 07/04/06 at 12:25 am

One thing I hear alot from people who go by their middle names is that they can always tell when it's a telemarketer on the phone because they are the only ones who ask for your first name.  Then you can say "Sorry, she doesn't live here anymore" :)

Exactly! :D

Written By: ADH13 on 07/04/06 at 12:25 am

[quote author=

Written By: Tam on 07/04/06 at 12:26 am

I was named after Tammy Wynette

Written By: jackas on 07/04/06 at 12:26 am

;D  Sorry, that made me chuckle a bit.

The turd?

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/04/06 at 12:30 am

My mom is named Anne, my sister is named Anne and my middle name is Anne...I also have an Aunt named Anne and a couple of cousins with the middle name Anne...My family is NOT original at all!!  LOL!!

Written By: jackas on 07/04/06 at 12:31 am

My mom is named Anne, my sister is named Anne and my middle name is Anne...I also have an Aunt named Anne and a couple of cousins with the middle name Anne...My family is NOT original at all!!  LOL!!

That's what I'm thinking. ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/04/06 at 12:32 am

;D  Sorry, that made me chuckle a bit.

The turd?

Quiet, you.

I forgot I told you guys that. ;D ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/04/06 at 2:59 am

My sister in law is called Caron, she's scottish which is why it's spelt that way.  :)

Written By: Gis on 07/04/06 at 3:06 am

Well I can safely say I am the only Gisela in my family's history !

My Mum's family have this habit of using family names too but somehow they all seem to be huge dramatic names, my poor half sister ended up with Gabrielle Marlene (pronounced Gabriella Marlane-a) she hates it more than I hate my name, bless her.  ;D 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/06 at 3:54 am

makes me wanna go back and look at the movie star I picked to play your part Chrissy for inthe00s.com the movie. I think there's a connection.  8)

Written By: gemini on 07/04/06 at 7:17 am

I'm not sure of all the details, but I know I was going to be named Robin but they chose Rhonda instead. That's it, exciting wasn't it!  ;) 

Written By: loki 13 on 07/04/06 at 10:46 am

My name was supposed to be Timothy Joseph, It was on the birth certificate. My Grand Mother
said I didn't look like a Timothy, I looked like a Kevin Michael, so my mother changed it.

To honor my mother's first choice I named my son Timothy Joseph.

Written By: audkal on 07/04/06 at 12:22 pm

I forgot to add there are more Henry's in my family:

So I mentioned my dad and my brother....my grandpa, great-grandpa, and great-uncle are all Henry's.

There are also a couple women named Henrietta, hehe.

As far as I know I'm the only Audrey in the family.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/04/06 at 12:51 pm

After my dad, who was also named James.

Written By: La Roche on 07/04/06 at 5:09 pm

:o  My father and my oldest brother both have the name Henry....though we usually just call my brother "Hank", perhaps when he's like 40 we'll start calling him Henry, lol.

;D

Yeah, I would have been Hank or Harry.

Written By: nally on 07/04/06 at 8:44 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/04/06 at 8:46 pm

I was wondering why you were known as Alex. Now I know. I've known some people in my life who've preferred to be referred to by their middle names.

My bestest friend ever on this planet, Marie, goes by her middle name.  Her full name is Elizabeth Marie, but she prefers to go by Marie.

Written By: nally on 07/05/06 at 12:28 pm

My bestest friend ever on this planet, Marie, goes by her middle name.  Her full name is Elizabeth Marie, but she prefers to go by Marie.

Yep. Some people like their middle names better. I currently have a friend whose first name is Elizabeth, but everyone calls her by her middle name, Allison. :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/05/06 at 12:37 pm

Yep. Some people like their middle names better. I currently have a friend whose first name is Elizabeth, but everyone calls her by her middle name, Allison. :)

My husband has always gone by his middle name because his dad shares his first name and they didn't want to confuse the two when he was growing up!

Written By: nally on 07/05/06 at 1:23 pm

My husband has always gone by his middle name because his dad shares his first name and they didn't want to confuse the two when he was growing up!

That makes sense! :)

Still, however, that's another reason why I don't intend to name my son after myself, if I have a son.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/05/06 at 1:25 pm

That makes sense! :)

Still, however, that's another reason why I don't intend to name my son after myself, if I have a son.

Yeah, I think his parents kinda regretted it later, but at least he wasn't a 'junior'!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 2:03 pm

My husband is Charles IV and his son is Charles V  :o  But they each have their own nicknames. My father-in-law was called Buddy growing up but now goes by Charlie (like my husband). My husband is STILL called Butch by his dad, sister, aunts/uncles/cousins. His son goes by Chatch. But it still gets confusing when we get a piece of mail for Charles III or Charles V.  ;D

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/05/06 at 2:36 pm

My husband is Charles IV and his son is Charles V  :o  But they each have their own nicknames. My father-in-law was called Buddy growing up but now goes by Charlie (like my husband). My husband is STILL called Butch by his dad, sister, aunts/uncles/cousins. His son goes by Chatch. But it still gets confusing when we get a piece of mail for Charles III or Charles V.  ;D

Cat

Wow!  That certainly would be confusing!!  :o :D

Written By: audkal on 07/05/06 at 2:50 pm

Cat

LOL, yeah, the code is have all their middle names start with different letters.  That way on mail it'll say "Charles M" or "Charles E" to tell them apart.  We have that problem a lot with all the Henry's, hehe.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 2:59 pm

My boyfriend goes by his last name, as he isn't fond of either his first or middle names..  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 3:04 pm

LOL, yeah, the code is have all their middle names start with different letters.  That way on mail it'll say "Charles M" or "Charles E" to tell them apart.  We have that problem a lot with all the Henry's, hehe.

They all have the same middle name. However, my husband uses his mother's maiden name hyphened after the last name (the Spanish way of doing it) so each generation will have a totally different last name. Though sometimes we get things in the mail that has his mother's maiden name as the first name and C. the middle initial. We know that it is junk.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/05/06 at 7:47 pm

My Parents would've wanted the name Henrietta but they named me Howard instead. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/08 at 4:01 pm

I sort of grew up with it!

Check for new replies or respond here...