inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dilemma Of The Week

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/04/06 at 4:15 am

Post a dilemma you have, and we'll all try and help you out making that tough decision.

I've put away about $300 to spend by the end of the holidays, and I'm considering whether to go on a short holiday or get my car serviced...neither are really urgent, and nothing seems to be wrong with the auto (according to my very basic checkup), and it's not overdue yet...but if I leave it and just go on holiday I know I'll procrastinate like I always do...What should I do?

Subject: Re: Dilemma Of The Week

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/04/06 at 4:46 am

even though it may not be critical to service your car and it may be running well, it is probably more of a priority to take good care of it and reduce rick of future repair from neglect. But going on holiday/vacation ,whatever would be pretty fun.  you do have a dilemma don't you.  8)

Written By: La Roche on 07/04/06 at 5:13 pm

Post a dilemma you have, and we'll all try and help you out making that tough decision.

I've put away about $300 to spend by the end of the holidays, and I'm considering whether to go on a short holiday or get my car serviced...neither are really urgent, and nothing seems to be wrong with the auto (according to my very basic checkup), and it's not overdue yet...but if I leave it and just go on holiday I know I'll procrastinate like I always do...What should I do?

I'd go away.

So, my dilemma really isn't a dillema, I'd be stupid to do what I want to do.. but.. ya know, these things cross your mind.

Right.. My car is worth about $5000-6500.. and I am contemplating selling it and buying something nicer.
Thing is.. my car only has about 30K on the clock and although I could get something nicer, I'd have to buy something quite a lot older (Think 10 year old Mustang).. so, should I go for the flashy new toy.. that will probably only drive well for 2-3 more years, or should I stick with the reliable tank that will perform well for another 10?

Written By: gemini on 07/04/06 at 5:53 pm

I'd go away.

So, my dilemma really isn't a dillema, I'd be stupid to do what I want to do.. but.. ya know, these things cross your mind.

Right.. My car is worth about $5000-6500.. and I am contemplating selling it and buying something nicer.
Thing is.. my car only has about 30K on the clock and although I could get something nicer, I'd have to buy something quite a lot older (Think 10 year old Mustang).. so, should I go for the flashy new toy.. that will probably only drive well for 2-3 more years, or should I stick with the reliable tank that will perform well for another 10?

Well, you could always go with the sensible, practical option, but somehow I doubt you'd like it!  ;D 

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/06 at 7:35 pm

My car is worth about $5000-6500.. and I am contemplating selling it and buying something nicer.

Do you like your current car?  If so, keep drivin' it.

If not, carefully (check for full maintenance records, preferably a 1-owner vehicle) research your dream machine, and get it.  Then sell your current car, and if you wind up ahead by $1000-2000 on the deal, keep the money in your pocket for maintenance.

A well-maintained car will last for 10-15 years.  Probably a lot longer.  If you don't have to deal with snow (salt on the roads), the body should be nearly rust-free.  If you do have to deal with snow, ponder a trip to California, Arizona, or Texas, and keep 'er in the garage in winter.

If you're a Mustang fan, I'd suggest looking up your local Mustang/Ford club.  With the revitalization of the brand due to the "new" Mustang, there are probably a lot of fans who are looking to get rid of their "sensible" purchase in the 90s to get the "new" one.  They should be able to help you find the right car, and if not, they'll definitely be able to tell you what to look for (and what to look out for!) when shopping.

There are a lot of good 10 year old cars out there for $2000-5000.  The trick is finding the ones that'll still be on the road 10 years from now. 

As a general rule of thumb -- better to spend $3000 for the "$2000 car" that's in immaculate condition -- the alternative being "buy the $2000 car, and spend $2000 fixing it up, only to find that you now own a $3000 car that you paid $4000 for".

Good luck!

Written By: La Roche on 07/05/06 at 1:40 pm

Do you like your current car?  If so, keep drivin' it.

If not, carefully (check for full maintenance records, preferably a 1-owner vehicle) research your dream machine, and get it.  Then sell your current car, and if you wind up ahead by $1000-2000 on the deal, keep the money in your pocket for maintenance.

A well-maintained car will last for 10-15 years.  Probably a lot longer.  If you don't have to deal with snow (salt on the roads), the body should be nearly rust-free.  If you do have to deal with snow, ponder a trip to California, Arizona, or Texas, and keep 'er in the garage in winter.

If you're a Mustang fan, I'd suggest looking up your local Mustang/Ford club.  With the revitalization of the brand due to the "new" Mustang, there are probably a lot of fans who are looking to get rid of their "sensible" purchase in the 90s to get the "new" one.  They should be able to help you find the right car, and if not, they'll definitely be able to tell you what to look for (and what to look out for!) when shopping.

There are a lot of good 10 year old cars out there for $2000-5000.  The trick is finding the ones that'll still be on the road 10 years from now. 

As a general rule of thumb -- better to spend $3000 for the "$2000 car" that's in immaculate condition -- the alternative being "buy the $2000 car, and spend $2000 fixing it up, only to find that you now own a $3000 car that you paid $4000 for".

Good luck!

You're right on all points here.

I'm probably not gonna do anything any time soon, but you are right, better to go for the sure bet... and No.. no snow problems.  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 3:05 pm

My current dilemma is whether I should wait on my wisdom teeth removal until January of 2007, or get them out in August, like I've planned. The dilemma is mainly the cost of these suckers and the fact that my insurance will not pay an ounce because I've already used my allotted amount for the year. So, what would one do?

Written By: La Roche on 07/05/06 at 3:07 pm

My current dilemma is whether I should wait on my wisdom teeth removal until January of 2007, or get them out in August, like I've planned. The dilemma is mainly the cost of these suckers and the fact that my insurance will not pay an ounce because I've already used my allotted amount for the year. So, what would one do?

How much do they hurt?

I think that's the question here.

I had mine out and it was a godsend, but at the same time, mine were only $120 (would have been about $1800).

Written By: Howard on 07/05/06 at 7:45 pm

My current dilemma is whether I want to go to see my friend again in September or October

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 7:49 pm

How much do they hurt?

I think that's the question here.

I had mine out and it was a godsend, but at the same time, mine were only $120 (would have been about $1800).

They don't really hurt at all.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/05/06 at 9:44 pm

If you trust your dentist (and if you've been working with him/her for more than a year or two and your dentist tends to get things right "the first time", rather than requiring extensive followup work), tell him upfront what the deal is on your insurance.  He/she will probably give you good medical advice first, good finanacial advice second.  If they conflict, go with what's medically appropriate. 

In other words:  If your dentist says "Really.  Don't wait, even if you can suck up the pain, the risk isn't worth the money", don't wait.  If your dentist says "If you're willing to put up with a bit of pain for a few weeks, but you're not at risk for permanent damage, well, I suppose you can wait if you want to".  Either way, the dentist probably makes the same amount of money.  If he/she values your business and your health, a good dentist will always make the right call -- because having your routine check-up busness over the next 10 years (and for all the customers you'll refer along the way) is worth a lot more than a one-time $2000 profit for unnecessary surgery.

A dentist is much like an auto mechanic.  A good dentist (or mechanic) works with you, because they want to keep your teeth (or your car) on the road for a lifetime.  Their profit comes from the regular maintenance and referrals from you, as a satisifed customer, to others.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/05/06 at 10:22 pm

Will it make a difference whether you get them removed in July or August? All things the same, I'd get 'em removed as earlier as possible.

Written By: La Roche on 07/06/06 at 3:00 am

Then I'd consider waiting.

You need to do as ^^ said and talk to the dentist.

The worry is that they'll end up compacted, then you'd have to have your jaw broken to get them out.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/06/06 at 1:41 pm

I appreciate everyone's input on this. It seems like such a simple decision, but sometimes money unfortunatly ends up being the determining factor.

I just spoke with my dentist's assistant and she's going to fax a release of x-ray so I can have a second opinion on whether or not I should wait on getting them out. So, we'll go from there  :)

Written By: MLB on 07/06/06 at 3:17 pm

What does one do with a DOA bunny in the middle of the night?
Wait for morning and take to an animal shelter for proper handling?
  The thing is, we just had to let go of our old dog,now the rabbit is gone too, we aren't the happiest of people right now!
  And we have pups to be rid of too. the shelter says they will put them on an adoption list and screen the people and we foster thepups til they are adopted but they are getting older and it's getting so much fun to play with them...however, with 6 of them there's the clean up side and the noise too. AAAAAAGH!

Written By: CeeKay on 07/06/06 at 4:15 pm

What does one do with a DOA bunny in the middle of the night?
Wait for morning and take to an animal shelter for proper handling?
  The thing is, we just had to let go of our old dog,now the rabbit is gone too, we aren't the happiest of people right now!

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost two pets in a short time.  That's sad.  :\'(

But let me get this right...you want to know, if the bunny died in the night, should you wait until morning to do something with it?  I would wait...*if* you can sleep knowing you've got the bunny there.  But that's me.

Here's a sort of funny story:  We had a guinea pig; my daughter's pet.  So I'm going on a five-day trip out of state and my kids are with their dad.  I have a 7 a.m. flight.  I'm up at 5:30 in the morning, just about ready to leave for the airport and I peek in to check on the guinea pig (the kids were going to come by each day to take care of it).  So I go to check on it and, bummer, it is dead.  Now, what do I do about that?  Leave it there for my daughter to find later?  Bury it at five in the morning and not give her a chance to say goodbye to her beloved little critter?

Not much time to decide since I had to get to the airport.  What did I do?  I wrapped it up in tissues, then in a small hand towel, put it in a shoe box.  Sealed the box and put the whole thing in the freezer!  ;D  Then I had to call my daughter later that day and tell her what happened.  Oh dear.  We had a funeral when I returned from my trip.

Written By: La Roche on 07/06/06 at 4:56 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost two pets in a short time.  That's sad.  :\'(

But let me get this right...you want to know, if the bunny died in the night, should you wait until morning to do something with it?  I would wait...*if* you can sleep knowing you've got the bunny there.  But that's me.

Here's a sort of funny story:  We had a guinea pig; my daughter's pet.  So I'm going on a five-day trip out of state and my kids are with their dad.  I have a 7 a.m. flight.  I'm up at 5:30 in the morning, just about ready to leave for the airport and I peek in to check on the guinea pig (the kids were going to come by each day to take care of it).  So I go to check on it and, bummer, it is dead.  Now, what do I do about that?  Leave it there for my daughter to find later?  Bury it at five in the morning and not give her a chance to say goodbye to her beloved little critter?

Not much time to decide since I had to get to the airport.  What did I do?  I wrapped it up in tissues, then in a small hand towel, put it in a shoe box.  Sealed the box and put the whole thing in the freezer!  ;D  Then I had to call my daughter later that day and tell her what happened.  Oh dear.  We had a funeral when I returned from my trip.

Awwwww!

I looked after my neice's guinea pig when she went away for a few days. It died.

I got a new similar looking one.

She never noticed.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/06 at 6:43 pm

My dilemma is that I had an opportunity and I didn't grab it on time.My supervisor/owner of Au Bon Pain said he had Sundays available for me but the problem is that I told him to let me think about it and he wanted me to give my answer now so I went upstairs to think about it cause I was so indecisive about it and a few hours later I wanted to ask him as to what hours on Sunday and so He gave the Sunday to someone else later.See,Robin works a 40 hour shift and she comes home very tired,I work on Saturdays and the only time that I get to see her is on Sundays.I just don't want her to get all pissy with me because I'm not spending enough time with her.I don't know what to do now,What would you have done if you were in MY shoes? :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 8:12 pm

My dilemma is that I had an opportunity and I didn't grab it on time.My supervisor/owner of Au Bon Pain said he had Sundays available for me but the problem is that I told him to let me think about it and he wanted me to give my answer now so I went upstairs to think about it cause I was so indecisive about it and a few hours later I wanted to ask him as to what hours on Sunday and so He gave the Sunday to someone else later.See,Robin works a 40 hour shift and she comes home very tired,I work on Saturdays and the only time that I get to see her is on Sundays.I just don't want her to get all pissy with me because I'm not spending enough time with her.I don't know what to do now,What would you have done if you were in MY shoes? :(

was it only the one sunday that you would be working extra?  I would just explain to Robin that you were offered more hours, and you had to take them, beings that she is always on your case to work more anyway. Then...I would have worked the extra hours and gotten it over with.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 8:19 pm

Sometimes, you just have to say to yourself, 'What would be the best decision for both of us, overall?' Who knows, it may not have to be a permanent thing. But I guess it's not much of a dilemma any more, as you don't have that chance...well, unless you go and ask your Supervisor...

Written By: CeeKay on 07/06/06 at 8:42 pm

If your boss was offering you to work on every Sunday...and if that was too much...you might offer to work every other Sunday.  You can still tell him that, if the person who took the Sunday hours is ever unable to show up, you'd like the opportunity to have the extra hours now and then.  Would that work?

Written By: Howard on 07/07/06 at 3:34 pm

was it only the one sunday that you would be working extra?  I would just explain to Robin that you were offered more hours, and you had to take them, beings that she is always on your case to work more anyway. Then...I would have worked the extra hours and gotten it over with.

I believe this was Sunday as well as Saturday.But Mr.Carpenter put me on-call meaning if that person is sick or just can't come in for personal or physicial reasons that he would call me the night before OR a few days in advance to let me know to come in that day.That way,I would tell Robin.She would do something instead of us going out like hanging out with her friends or go out with someone else and I would be working on that Sunday or Her and I could hang out depending on what time I would end work for the day.Let's just see what happens.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/06 at 3:36 pm

Sometimes, you just have to say to yourself, 'What would be the best decision for both of us, overall?' Who knows, it may not have to be a permanent thing. But I guess it's not much of a dilemma any more, as you don't have that chance...well, unless you go and ask your Supervisor...

I did and I asked him If I could be on-call so if he/she can't come in for personal,physical or emotional reasons I would be working on THAT Sunday so Robin would hang out with her girlfriends instead of us OR Her and I could hang out depending on what time I let out from work.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/07/06 at 3:37 pm

I believe this was Sunday as well as Saturday.But Mr.Carpenter put me on-call meaning if that person is sick or just can't come in for personal or physicial reasons that he would call me the night before OR a few days in advance to let me know to come in that day.That way,I would tell Robin.She would do something instead of us going out like hanging out with her friends or go out with someone else and I would be working on that Sunday or Her and I could hang out depending on what time I would end work for the day.Let's just see what happens.

I think Robin would honor your decision to work extra days. Just let her know that this would help advance you and it would look better with your boss to take these Sundays and utilize them the best you can. She can manage without you for a brief amount of time.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/07/06 at 3:41 pm

If your boss was offering you to work on every Sunday...and if that was too much...you might offer to work every other Sunday.  You can still tell him that, if the person who took the Sunday hours is ever unable to show up, you'd like the opportunity to have the extra hours now and then.  Would that work?

I asked him and I'm now the on-call guy meaning if the person can't come in for any reasons,I can come in on that Sunday but I would tell Robin in advance to hang out with someone else or Her and I would hang out depending on what time I leave work.I just pray that it's not too late.You know how women are if you don't spend enough time with them or much at all they get all pissy at you.But she did say that she expected me to get more days.I had the opportunity and I dropped it. :(

Written By: Howard on 07/07/06 at 3:44 pm

I think Robin would honor your decision to work extra days. Just let her know that this would help advance you and it would look better with your boss to take these Sundays and utilize them the best you can. She can manage without you for a brief amount of time.  :)

But knowing her she would probably complain a little meaning she wanted me to get more days and not to be on-call.But that's the way it is.I can't change it right now.

Check for new replies or respond here...