inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: At what post level do you consider a member a "serious" member?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 3:18 pm

What I mean, is, there are a lot of people who post like 10 posts, and then disappear. Then there are some who post like a couple thousand and also disappear.

I have always based it on consistancy of posts, as well as, posting in various topics, having a constant mainstay and usually making comments that are generally lasting (for the most part,  ;D). I think karma points may also play a part in this. I guess the more karma you recieve indicates just how often you're on to recieve them.

So, what are your opinions?

Subject: Re: At what post level do you consider a member a "serious" member?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 3:42 pm

I would tend to agree with your description.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 4:14 pm

I really don't think post count has anything to do with it.  I've been here since 2000.  Seriously.

That being said, tenure has nothing to do with it neither.  I think all members are equal regardless of how much they post.  :)

Written By: Southern Image on 07/05/06 at 4:19 pm

I really don't think post count has anything to do with it.  I've been here since 2000.  Seriously.

That being said, tenure has nothing to do with it neither.  I think all members are equal regardless of how much they post.  :)

Yeah, what he said.

Besides I really don't think Karma counts as being a serious member. I think people give members applause because they either like what they said, or like the member in general.  ;)

I know I'm not on here everyday, but thats because so much "drama" and "bulldodo" on the internets can get tiring. 

I like to come in here and be able to post a some topics that I enjoy. If I were here EVERYDAY, I would get bored.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 4:21 pm

Welcome back, DJ. Good to see ya.

Cat

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 4:23 pm

Cat

Heya Cat!  :)

I'm here and there, but I don't post everyday.  :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 4:24 pm

Yeah, but there's also a level of committment you have with the board.  This is a community and a lot of us are friends either on the boards or off of them.  Someone who is a serious member of the board fosters a sense of community here by participating, being active and getting to know people.  That's one reason I like this place over other forums I'm a member of.  Everyone here acts like this is one big school cafeteria and we're all sitting around gabbing about life before 6th period Physics class.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/05/06 at 4:29 pm

Cat

Yes, good to see you again DJ!  :)

(And btw, I agree with everything you said regarding 'serious' members!)

Written By: Southern Image on 07/05/06 at 4:29 pm

Yeah, but there's also a level of committment you have with the board.  This is a community and a lot of us are friends either on the boards or off of them.  Someone who is a serious member of the board fosters a sense of community here by participating, being active and getting to know people.  That's one reason I like this place over other forums I'm a member of.  Everyone here acts like this is one big school cafeteria and we're all sitting around gabbing about life before 6th period Physics class.

I'm friends with

Whistledog
Papergirl
DJMidas
Greenlatern

We ALL have been chatting with each other on various OTHER message-boards, emails, and chatrooms. I think we are a "family" even though we aren't on here that much.

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 4:34 pm

DJ Midas..!  Long time...

How's Renegade Retro..?  See?  They all come back..! ;)

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/05/06 at 4:34 pm

I hope you dont mind that I quoted only these 2 statements...

Yeah, but there's also a level of committment you have with the board.  ..........
Someone who is a serious member of the board fosters a sense of community here by participating, being active and getting to know people. 

I dont feel like I should have to commit to anything to be considered a part of the board.  In my opinion, thats like making someone promise to post everyday, or you cant be in the "serious" member club anymore.  

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 4:35 pm

OK, so Chucky G has less posts than say...whistledog.  Does that make him less "serious" of a member than him?   ???

My post count doesn't reflect it now but over the years I've managed to post in this community over 8,000 times.  I know quite a few members here.  Just because I don't post all that often anymore doesn't mean I feel any less "serious" of a member here.  The only people that have real commitments with the board are moderators and administrators of the board, and they have every right to break that commitment.  :)

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 4:36 pm

I'm friends with

Whistledog
Papergirl
DJMidas
Greenlatern

We ALL have been chatting with each other on various OTHER message-boards, emails, and chatrooms. I think we are a "family" even though we aren't on here that much.

Hmm...I recall, a long time ago, a certain SouthernSpitfire... ???

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/05/06 at 4:37 pm

Heck, on another board I was on, before it crashed, I had over 10,000 posts.  One lady had over 40,000...but we loved everyone just the same, wheither they had 400 posts or 40,000.  

When that board crashed, we all started over again, and didnt matter who had how many previously...because we were all friends anyway.  

Its ridiculous to label someone as a "serious" member soley on post count, I think.  

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 4:38 pm

Yes, good to see you again DJ!  :)

(And btw, I agree with everything you said regarding 'serious' members!)

Heya CF!  Thanks! :)
   DJ Midas..!  Long time...

How's Renegade Retro..?  See?  They all come back..! ;)

Davester!  RR is doing well.  :)  Good to see ya!

I'm friends with

Whistledog
Papergirl
DJMidas
Greenlatern

Hiya friend ;)

I've also met crazycheerMama_K :D, Jessica and Rice Cube and have talked to several others here by phone.  Seriously.  8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 4:38 pm

I hope you dont mind that I quoted only these 2 statements...

I dont feel like I should have to commit to anything to be considered a part of the board.  In my opinion, thats like making someone promise to post everyday, or you cant be in the "serious" member club anymore. 

It was an opinion on an abstract theory.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 4:39 pm

Different person, but can't help but dig them southern gals.  8)

Written By: Southern Image on 07/05/06 at 4:40 pm

Thats not me :D I've only been here as Southern Image.  :)

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/05/06 at 4:41 pm

I've also met crazycheerMama_K :D, Jessica and Rice Cube and have talked to several others here by phone.  Seriously.  8)

Yup yup.  Midas has heard my kids screaming in the backgroundon more than one occassion.  I called him after a tornado hit my part of town...to let him know I was OK.

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 4:42 pm

Thats not me :D I've only been here as Southern Image.  :)

Oh, heheh...I thought we had a reunion going on here...

Keep grooving :)...

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/05/06 at 4:43 pm

It was an opinion on an abstract theory.

And I'm responding on your opinion with mine.  Its all cool... 8)

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 4:52 pm

OK, so Chucky G has less posts than say...whistledog.  Does that make him less "serious" of a member than him?   ???

My post count doesn't reflect it now but over the years I've managed to post in this community over 8,000 times.  I know quite a few members here.  Just because I don't post all that often anymore doesn't mean I feel any less "serious" of a member here.  The only people that have real commitments with the board are moderators and administrators of the board, and they have every right to break that commitment.  :)

Takes on a whole new meaning when you consider many here probably only post just to see their name on the screen, anyway...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/05/06 at 4:54 pm

Takes on a whole new meaning when you consider many here probably only post just to see their name on the screen, anyway...

I think that's rather incorrect of you to say.  I don't know if a lot of people here have patience with trolls/spammers.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/05/06 at 4:56 pm

It kinda seemed like it, didn't it?!!  :D

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 5:00 pm

If you mean fluff posts I agree.  :)

It kinda seemed like it, didn't it?!!  :D

Ah, good times, good times.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:16 pm

I think some people got a little too defensive here... I don't care what post count you have, I was talking post level (that could mean like you're Chilly Willy, Badtz Maru, Tuxedo Sam, etc) but in general, what does matter is being consistant on a board. This doesn't mean you have to be on everyday (as some were taking as an extreme) or be completely committed. I mean, there are times I'm not on here for maybe a week or maybe every few days, but I find myself to still be a "serious" member for various reasons. 

So, in theory, you don't have to be on here ALL the time to be a "serious" member. I suppose I was just trying to figure out who would be considered more of a "floater" or a "serious" poster by the traits I listed in my first post. Maybe check by those first and then give your thoughts again, if you'd like  :)

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 5:21 pm

I think some people got a little too defensive here... I don't care what post count you have, I was talking post level (that could mean like you're Chilly Willy, Badtz Maru, Tuxedo Sam, etc) but in general, what does matter is being consistant on a board. This doesn't mean you have to be on everyday (as some were taking as an extreme) or be completely committed. I mean, there are times I'm not on here for maybe a week or maybe every few days, but I find myself to still be a "serious" member for various reasons. 

So, in theory, you don't have to be on here ALL the time to be a "serious" member. I suppose I was just trying to figure out who would be considered more of a "floater" or a "serious" poster by the traits I listed in my first post. Maybe check by those first and then give your thoughts again, if you'd like  :)

Isn't post level determined by the amount of posts you have?   ???

People go to messageboards, leave and come back all the time.

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/06 at 5:23 pm

A post count is nothing more than a number.  Sure, some people have higher numbers than others, but members come, members go, and some members return after a long hiatus, so numbers will always fluxuate.  In the end, everyone is the same, no matter how high or low their count is :)

I still sometimes think of myself as a newbie cause I've only been here since September 05

If you mean fluff posts I agree.   :)

There's alot of that from our younger members in the decades boards

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:25 pm

Isn't post level determined by the amount of posts you have?   ???

People go to messageboards, leave and come back all the time.

In a sense it would, but if you never even reach the first level after like 6 months of being on here, then what do you consider that poster? A "Floater"?

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 5:29 pm

In a sense it would, but if you never even reach the first level after like 6 months of being on here, then what do you consider that poster? A "Floater"?

Why would I consider them anything?  I'm not going to waste my time labeling members when we're all equal regardless of post level or count or how often they visit.  :)

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 5:29 pm

"Full-Timers" and "Part-Timers"...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 5:31 pm

I have said this many, many times before (and I will probably say it many more times again), it is QUALITY not QUANITY with posts. Yeah, there are many people who posts just for the sake of posting.

As for being a "serious" member of this board, I don't think it has anything to do with the number of posts someone has or how much time they spend here. I think it has to do with how much they add to the fabric of this little community of ours. There are some people who only posts in the board games or the quizzes. Does that make them less part of this community? I don't think so. There are also some people who only posts in certain decades or only posts on the political boards. I think they are just as much a part of this community.  There are also some people who disappear for a long time and then reappear once again (like DJ and Davester). Then you do have people who are here almost everyday (like myself-because I am addicted to this place and it is a good excuse to procrastinate on the things I SHOULD be doing  ;D ). Concidering I am here almost everyday, my post count is not that high. I know people who have been here less time than I have with much higher post counts. That is because I don't feel like I NEED to post a response to every post that is made or create threads just to create threads.

As for friends, I have made some really good friends here (who I hope I will actually meet someday). I have talked to 2 on the phone (Mama K and Gemini), talked through IM (Gemini & Bobby) and just plan IMed or e-mailed several members. (I'm not even referring to Carlos in this mix because I see him EVERYDAY  ;D )

There are a lot of good people here. That is the reason I can't stay away.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:31 pm

"Full-Timers" and "Part-Timers"...

;D Maybe that's a better way of putting it. I hope no one thinks I'm trying to classify them as something they're not. Those were not my intentions. Be as you are.. no matter how many posts you've made.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 5:32 pm

I have said this many, many times before (and I will probably say it many more times again), it is QUALITY not QUANITY with posts. Yeah, there are many people who posts just for the sake of posting.

As for being a "serious" member of this board, I don't think it has anything to do with the number of posts someone has or how much time they spend here. I think it has to do with how much they add to the fabric of this little community of ours. There are some people who only posts in the board games or the quizzes. Does that make them less part of this community? I don't think so. There are also some people who only posts in certain decades or only posts on the political boards. I think they are just as much a part of this community.  There are also some people who disappear for a long time and then reappear once again (like DJ and Davester). Then you do have people who are here almost everyday (like myself-because I am addicted to this place and it is a good excuse to procrastinate on the things I SHOULD be doing  ;D ). Concidering I am here almost everyday, my post count is not that high. I know people who have been here less time than I have with much higher post counts. That is because I don't feel like I NEED to post a response to every post that is made or create threads just to create threads.

As for friends, I have made some really good friends here (who I hope I will actually meet someday). I have talked to 2 on the phone (Mama K and Gemini), talked through IM (Gemini & Bobby) and just plan IMed or e-mailed several members. (I'm not even referring to Carlos in this mix because I see him EVERYDAY  ;D )

There are a lot of good people here. That is the reason I can't stay away.

Cat

Amen  Cat.  :)

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 5:34 pm

;D Maybe that's a better way of putting it. I hope no one thinks I'm trying to classify them as something they're not. Those were not my intentions. Be as you are.. no matter how many posts you've made.

LOL!  Poor Ultraviolet...all she did was ask an innocent question and before she knows it we're taking it to the streets... :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:36 pm

LOL!  Poor Ultraviolet...all she did was ask an innocent question and before she knows it we're taking it to the streets... :D

lol, you have me at your mercy -  ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 5:38 pm

;D   It wasn't intentional.  I just thought I'd post my thoughts about it.  :)

What does that make us, Dave?  "Old-timers" ?   :D

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 5:39 pm

Well, we may be "Part-Timers", now...it's a whole new crowd, here... :D

I've deleted my account twice since originally registering in 2002...I should have a couple thousand posts by now, dag nabbitt..!! :P

Still a cool place to hang out...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 5:41 pm

;D  It wasn't intentional.  I just thought I'd post my thoughts about it.  :)

What does that make us, Dave?  "Old-timers" ?  :D

I wouldn't call you old. I would call you "chronologically challenged."  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:42 pm

Yeah, Old timers, there you go...  ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 5:44 pm

I wouldn't call you old. I would call you "chronologically challenged."  :D ;D ;D

Cat

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Um, what time is it?  ???  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 5:45 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Um, what time is it?  ???  :D

I think it is dinner time.  ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:46 pm

Cat

It's Hammer time

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 5:47 pm

Yeah, Old timers, there you go...  ;D

LOL  ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/05/06 at 5:49 pm

Cat

Bedtime for me...graveyard shift...

See you all tomorrow... :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/06 at 5:50 pm

Take care, Dave.

Cat

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 5:50 pm

It's Hammer time

*snort*  somebody still looking for those pants?  ;D

Nite Dave!  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:58 pm

*snort*  somebody still looking for those pants?   ;D

My Dad may still have a pair lingering around...  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/05/06 at 6:10 pm

I still sort of think I'm a newbie, because I've only been here since February, though I've accumulated over 4,000 posts.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 11:22 am

Surely, I've been here since February 2005, and I've reached over 6,000 posts. I also contribute consistently to the main threads, and am known by most regulars. So few can deny I'm a regular...

Written By: Lady Beard on 07/06/06 at 11:36 am

I would assume I'm not a serious member?

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 11:37 am

I still sort of think I'm a newbie, because I've only been here since February, though I've accumulated over 4,000 posts.

Your place as a regular is well-assured...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/06/06 at 12:38 pm

I would assume I'm not a serious member?

You are  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...