inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Musical Artists You Like But Personally Dislike

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 1:43 am

Morrissey. I love his music, he's an amazing musician, but I think as a person he's sort of vain and self-righteous. He's not the best person to other people, and yet keeps on spouting about animal rights (and wouldn't even wear non-leather shoes. Someone of his stature could get away with wearing any damn sort of shoes...it's just his hypocrisy.) That, and Tori Amos lauded him and said something along the lines of "Hey! I idolized you! Great songs!" and he said, "And you would know?" Also, he's probably gay (though of course, he says he's "celibate", as a gay person I can recognize that most of his songs with The Smiths have a gay subtext) and refuses to come out of the closet. I'm not sure whether it's cowardice or desire for his privacy.

Please don't hate me for eviscerating Morrissey... ;)

Subject: Re: Musical Artists You Like But Personally Dislike

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 11:02 am

I personally find it hard to judge celebs - musicians or otherwise - on what I hear in the tabloids, interviews, things that 'supposedly' happened...Sure I say things like 'I hate Britney Spears.etc' or something, but it's not a deep seated resentment or anything - just a sort of general lampooning of that artist. But I'd have to say Jim Morrison was at times extremely frustrating, and would have been incontiable to work with in real life at times. Yet he's eminently worshippable (not like having a shrine or anything, lol) as a very human idol to many generations.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/06/06 at 11:08 am

I like some things about Frank Zappa's personality, but he was very stubborn, and sounds frustrating

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/06/06 at 11:09 am

I don't really pay much attention to whether I personally like the artists I listen to or not.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 11:11 am

I like some things about Frank Zappa's personality, but he was very stubborn, and sounds frustrating

Don't know about Zappa, but what was the 'you can trip out without actually tripping out' sheeshe about, anyway?

Written By: woops on 07/06/06 at 2:08 pm

There's many artists that I'm not a fan of or into their music/genre, but tend to like a few of their songs

Written By: MLB on 07/06/06 at 2:55 pm

if something about an artist's personality bothers you, then wouldn't something about the artist's work tend to bother you too?
  I'm sure the person/people I dislike are ok people but their mannerisms and whatnot don't allow me to enjoy their tunes whatsoever.

Written By: CeeKay on 07/06/06 at 3:31 pm

This question reminds me of two unrelated things:

How everyone threw away their Cat Stevens albums when he converted to Islam and...

The way my mom says, "So and so is an okay actress but i can't watch anything she does because I don't like her as a person."

I tend to like a song or not based on the song and not really think about the person very much.

Written By: La Roche on 07/06/06 at 5:06 pm

I used to.. (and this is going to shock everyone).. I used to seriously dislike Dave Mustaine.

Then he got off the Heroin... and cleaned up his act.

I worship him now.

It's amazing what that shi.t can do to a person.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 6:27 pm

The thing is, I love Tori Amos and Morrissey both so much, like they're good friends of mine, that when they get in a fight I feel like two friends of mine got in a fight.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/06 at 6:30 pm

Michael Jackson

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/06/06 at 7:39 pm

Heh, I hear Voltaire is a huge prick, but I love his music.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/06/06 at 7:49 pm

Don't know about Zappa, but what was the 'you can trip out without actually tripping out' sheeshe about, anyway?

Dunno, he made trippy music, and it started the freaks in LA thing... He was VERY strongly against drugs, however.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/06/06 at 7:54 pm

Michael Jackson

Hmmm, I hear that a lot.  It's at the point now though, where I can't hear his music without thinking of him banging little boys.  I sold all my MJ CDs after the first molestation claims. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 8:07 pm

Dunno, he made trippy music, and it started the freaks in LA thing... He was VERY strongly against drugs, however.

Which I applaud him for.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/06 at 3:54 pm

Hmmm, I hear that a lot.  It's at the point now though, where I can't hear his music without thinking of him banging little boys.  I sold all my MJ CDs after the first molestation claims. 

I still have my collection.

Written By: woops on 07/08/06 at 8:16 pm

Also Madonna...  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 3:29 pm

I really want to like Bjork, but here music and songs are dire!

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/06 at 5:31 pm

I really want to like Rush, becuase I always put Canadian music first, but in their case, I just can't.  I just don't like them

Written By: Cool Hand Logan on 07/09/06 at 6:45 pm

Gene Simmons, Madonna, Michael Jackson

Written By: Apricot on 07/10/06 at 2:06 am

I really want to like Rush, becuase I always put Canadian music first, but in their case, I just can't.  I just don't like them

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Rush either.. but why put Candian music first? I don't understand.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/06 at 4:45 pm

Also Madonna...  ::)

Why do you dislike her?

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/06 at 4:49 pm

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Rush either.. but why put Candian music first? I don't understand.

Being Canadian, I am a big supporter of Canadian Music, no matter how sucky some of the artists are ;D

As much as I hate Rush, I am still glad they found a big fan base.  Just so long as they aren't depending on me to buy their CD's and albums ;D

Written By: woops on 07/10/06 at 4:49 pm

Why do you dislike her?

I just find her overrated since she hasn't released anything decent since 1990 and most of her music since are junk.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/06 at 5:20 pm

I just find her overrated since she hasn't released anything decent since 1990 and most of her music since are junk.

I agree with you.She's too controversial.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 5:23 pm

Are you crazy?  Bedtime Stories, Ray of Light and Music are all FANTASTIC records.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 5:24 pm

I agree with you.  She's too controversial.

Two spaces between periods, Howard. 

I'd rather artists be controversial than dull and boring.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/06 at 5:30 pm

Two spaces between periods, Howard. 

I'd rather artists be controversial than dull and boring.

Why is that?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 5:32 pm

Why is that?

Ummm, because I don't like dull and boring.  Madonna does things her own way, and it doesn't affect my life in anyway, so who am I to judge her?  Her music kicks ass and I'll continue to buy it and support her.

Written By: woops on 07/10/06 at 5:34 pm

I don't mind controversy (political statements, shock), but I'm more into the music.

Also, I think Madonna tend to foucus on shock factor  rather than her music.

Then again: call me old fashioned...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 5:35 pm

I don't mind controversy (political statements, shock), but I'm more into the music.

Also, I think Madonna tend to foucus on shock factor  rather than her music.

Then again: call me old fashioned...

Until she starts breaking the law, I'll focus on her music, which has been pretty good.  I like some songs on Confessions, but I like pretty much all her 90s/early 00s albums (I HATED American Life).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/10/06 at 7:01 pm

Until she starts breaking the law, I'll focus on her music, which has been pretty good.  I like some songs on Confessions, but I like pretty much all her 90s/early 00s albums (I HATED American Life).

I fell in love with her http://Music album that came out in 2000. Also her '90s albums were great and rather understated compared to her '80s work.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/06 at 3:26 pm

From 82-92 she was ok then she started going downhill from there.

Check for new replies or respond here...