inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Severe Weather Poll

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/12/06 at 6:37 am

Vote & then post your weather stories here!

Subject: Re: Severe Weather Poll

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/12/06 at 7:39 am

Severe weather? The closest we ever get to "severe weather" is a light dumping of snow once or twice a year.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 07/12/06 at 8:09 am

Yup, I've been caught out in a Tornado and a 'severe electrical storm'.

Couple of floods.

Ice Storm was the nastiest though, everything, ice.. freakin.. everywhere. So hard to describe.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/12/06 at 8:11 am

I can't say I've ever experienced any of these severe weather phenomena. Perth is known for sunny skies, and not much else...we get the odd winter storm, small tornados.etc, but they are pretty localised.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/12/06 at 8:13 am

We get heavy thunderstorms, snow/hail/ice storms, a tornado every once in a blue moon, but that's about it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/12/06 at 8:16 am

We get heavy thunderstorms, snow/hail/ice storms, a tornado every once in a blue moon, but that's about it.

I'd be happy to see the white stuff fall from the heavens just once over Perth before I die - but somehow I doubt that will happen. It did snow in the hills near us about 50 years ago, but the snow melted as soon as it reached in the ground.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/12/06 at 9:08 am

I'd be happy to see the white stuff fall from the heavens just once over Perth before I die - but somehow I doubt that will happen. It did snow in the hills near us about 50 years ago, but the snow melted as soon as it reached in the ground.

we used to get tons of snow...like when I was younger, we'd get like over a foot or so of snow, and we'd be able to play in it out in the yard (build snowmen, snowforts, throw snowballs, etc)...but anymore, we are lucky if we get a few inches here and there (although I am not complaining ;)).

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/12/06 at 9:22 am

we used to get tons of snow...like when I was younger, we'd get like over a foot or so of snow, and we'd be able to play in it out in the yard (build snowmen, snowforts, throw snowballs, etc)...but anymore, we are lucky if we get a few inches here and there (although I am not complaining ;)).

I first saw snow when I went on a ski-trip to New Zealand in 2002 (I was 16), though was kind of dissapointed I didn't actually get to see it snowing...just snow on the ground. The year after us had a bumper year - they went right in the middle of a big winter storm, in which most of the South Island of New Zealand was covered in white, with snow to sea-level in places like Christchurch and Timaru.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/12/06 at 9:49 am

Living in Illinois, we get blizzards (though as Erin said, not as frequently as I remember as a kid), hail, ice (which SUCKS) and I got caught in an avalanche in Italy.....actually, we were on a bus in the Alps going through a tunnel through a mountain when the avalanche hit on the side we were heading towards.  Let me tell you, 14 hours stuck on a bus in a tunnel was NOT fun :-\\

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/12/06 at 10:07 am

In Sunny South Pennsylvania, we don't get anything too drastic... Other than very bad thunderstorms and snowstorms from time to time. The dust storm was in the midwest, and the avalanche was very minor.

Where are you at? I'm from Philly and we've had ice storms, snowstorms (which is more common), blizzards, and the occasional remnants of close hurricanes, ice/hail storms, and nor'easters.

Other than that, I've also experienced aftershocks from close earthquakes (now that I live here in Southern CA).

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/06 at 10:28 am

I lived through Ice Storm '98

The events of this tragedy are best summed up by the song "Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)" by the arcade Fire

Written By: CeeKay on 07/12/06 at 10:35 am

TORNADO:  I had just moved to Colorado.  I lived in an apartment building.  I was standing on my balcony and I saw something in the sky.  I say to myself "Holy S***!  It's a tornado!"  So I'm standing on the balcony watching when a police car drives by, stops, and announces on their loudspeaker:  "Yes, it's a tornado.  Please go inside.  We repeat, please do not stay on the balcony....GO INSIDE"  It didn't hit down where I was, but the weather was pretty wild.

HURRICANE:  A couple of them in New York where you had to tape up the windows but not so bad that anything was destroyed.

BLIZZARD:  A few years ago a blizzard dumped over two feet of snow here in CO.  I've got some cool pics somewhere.  No one could go anywhere for days and me and the kids had a blast.  The kids, for instance, slid down the roof of the neighbor's shed into our yard on their saucers.

SEVERE ELECTRICAL STORM:  So I'm in Oklahoma for a business trip.  I'm driving, with a couple of colleagues, back to the hotel after a social event at the zoo.  We're driving down this long, lonely road and lightening is EVERYWHERE.  The wind was wild and all we could do was ponder what would happen if a tornado hit ("I think we're supposed to get out of the car and lay down in the ditch."  "Geeze, wish I paid attention to those tornado shows on tv").  The lightening though -- I never saw such a thing.

HAIL STORM :  Yeah.  Two weeks ago right here.  Two inches of hail on the ground.  80 degrees at 4:00....60 degrees at seven.  Ouch!

Written By: La Roche on 07/12/06 at 10:35 am

I slept through a 5.0 Earthquake  ;D

Oh Ooh!!! I nearly forgot.

We had this weird storm cell thing in France this one time.

It wasn't a Tornado because of the way it had formed, but it was basically the same thing. It destroyed everything, there was like a motorbike in a tree and stuff.

Written By: Southern Image on 07/12/06 at 10:53 am

Only thing EXTREME in Cali is earthquakes, but I don't consider that weather. So I'm gonna just say HEAT. I can't stand some of the high tempertures we've been hitting lately.

Written By: gemini on 07/12/06 at 10:55 am

Tornado: April 3, 1974 Xenia Ohio, I've told this story before. Just a day I'll never forget.  :(
Also, last night, we were under a tornado warning, as were several counties around us. One touched down a few miles up the road at the Dayton Mall and did some damage to buildings but nobody was hurt.

Blizzard: Jan. 26 1978, I was 17 we were snowed in for quite some time. No cars could get around, so we had to get to the store on foot, then when you would get there, the shelves were pretty empty. 51 people died in Ohio. 

Ice Storm: I don't remember the exact year, I'm thinking '93 or '94. Ice was everywhere, pain in the butt to drive anywhere. I remember going to work, we had to park way back from the building, so I would walk through the lot, holding onto cars all the way there because the lot was like an ice rink.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/12/06 at 12:16 pm

I've been through many, many hurricanes (though they were called typhoons where I was living at the time)...

And though not really weather-related but still a phenomenon, I've been through an 8.2 earthquake!!!  :o

Written By: Apricot on 07/12/06 at 12:24 pm

A few tornado scares, 2 nasty blizzards, a flash flood once (small one)..

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/12/06 at 12:26 pm

None. I know, boring life.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/12/06 at 12:51 pm

HURRICANE 
BLIZZARD 
SEVERE ELECTRICAL STORM 
HAIL STORM 
ICE STORM

These are ones I have experienced.  I have also seen a water spout, sort of like a tornado over the ocean.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/06 at 12:53 pm

Tornados are rare in the UK, but I have been a severe electrical storm elsewhere in the world.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/12/06 at 3:01 pm

I have also seen a water spout, sort of like a tornado over the ocean.

I occasionally see water spouts over the ocean around here.

Written By: Paul on 07/12/06 at 3:13 pm

Just a hurricane...the one we had in 1987...

Even then (rather disappointingly) it was the weakest form of hurricane that can be classed as one!

Did cause a fair bit of damage tho'...

I've been through many, many hurricanes (though they were called typhoons where I was living at the time)...

And though not really weather-related but still a phenomenon, I've been through an 8.2 earthquake!!!  :o

Whoa!  :o

You're made of stronger stuff than I, young Karen!

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/12/06 at 3:16 pm

Well, here in North Carolina, we don't really get anything real heavy except for some thunderstorms. And I don't live in flooding area.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/06 at 3:16 pm

Just a hurricane...the one we had in 1987...

Even then (rather disappointingly) it was the weakest form of hurricane that can be classed as one!

Did cause a fair bit of damage tho'...

Whoa!   :o

Oh yes, the Great Storm of October 1987, I was asleep when it happened, but had to walk through the fallen trees and debris the following morning.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/12/06 at 3:25 pm

Tornado, blizzard, electrical storm, hail storm, ice storm and other.

We've had a bad ice storm down here......not much to say about that.  I've lived through several blizzards back home in Chicago; they were annoying but we survived.  Hail storms happen almost everytime it storms down here, so that's fairly typical, the "other" is just plain old thunderstorms.....who hasn't lived through those?  The only thing that was abberant was the tornado.  They say North Fulton County has a bubble around it protecting it from stuff like that; it seems like whenever really severe weather gets close, they fall apart before getting to us.  However a couple months ago an F0 tornado touched down about 2 miles from my house and destroyed a park and caused some damage to some houses in subdivisions mere walking distance from our house.  My sister and I were cowering in the 1st floor bathroom with a pillow over our heads, a flashlight, battery powered radio, her cell phone and her teddy bear. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/12/06 at 3:35 pm

Whoa!   :o

I honestly didn't think I was gonna come out of it alive!

It was the most terrifying thing I've ever been through!!  :o

Written By: Paul on 07/12/06 at 3:37 pm

I honestly didn't think I was gonna come out of it alive!

It was the most terrifying thing I've ever been through!!  :o

I can only imagine...

Well, we're all pretty glad you did come out of it alive... :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/12/06 at 3:50 pm

I can only imagine...

Well, we're all pretty glad you did come out of it alive... :)

Thank you...you're too sweet!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/12/06 at 3:56 pm

Severe Thunderstorm with cloud to ground lightning and large hail
Blizzard of 96 and 06
Hurricane Gloria on September 22nd,1985.

Written By: nally on 07/12/06 at 4:55 pm

Being that I've been a West Coast resident all my life, the only item there that I've experienced is flash floods. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 07/12/06 at 4:58 pm

Flash Floods are the worst that I've seen here in New York. :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/17/06 at 9:15 am

my weather icons in my browser (Firefox Weather Extensio) turned to little flames today... you know that can't be good...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/17/06 at 9:35 am

We are having freak weather in the UK right now. It is soo hot around 95, temperatures we are not used to here especially as there is no wind or breeze to speak of - this makes the weather very freakish for here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/06 at 4:29 am

We are having freak weather in the UK right now. It is soo hot around 95, temperatures we are not used to here especially as there is no wind or breeze to speak of - this makes the weather very freakish for here.
Finding the breeze is key for be outdoors.

Written By: La Roche on 07/18/06 at 8:55 am

Record temperatures expected across the UK tomorrow.

Pushing in to the low 100's in a lot of places.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/06 at 8:57 am

I do not I will be going out tomorrow.

Written By: karen on 07/18/06 at 9:38 am

I do not I will be going out tomorrow.

lucky you to have the choice.  I'm stuck in work again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/06 at 11:16 am

lucky you to have the choice.  I'm stuck in work again.
Simply putting it, I should be out at a cricket match, but it will be too hot even to sit there watching it.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/06 at 5:53 pm

Should I ask the heat index?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/18/06 at 6:00 pm

Hail Storm and I forgot the other...

Written By: Howard on 07/18/06 at 6:06 pm

Hail Storm and I forgot the other...

What's the size of the hail? :o

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/18/06 at 11:28 pm

it was down to a whopping 88 today :o

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/18/06 at 11:32 pm

no severe weather in California.....Except the ground tends to shake

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/18/06 at 11:58 pm

I've experienced a few blizzards, or near blizzards anyway. The worst was probably just before Christmas of 2004, when we had about 20 inches of snow and 1/4 inch of ice from the same storm. Also in late April 2005, we had about 16 inches of snow in 24 hours. Ice storms happen occasionally.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 1:30 am

The day has arrived and 36

Written By: Howard on 07/19/06 at 5:38 pm

I survived the Blizzard of 2006

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 5:26 am

The heat is cooler today, but still is unbearable!

Written By: Howard on 07/21/06 at 3:46 pm

The heat is cooler today, but still is unbearable!

Hazy Hot And Humid with showers and storms for New York City

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 3:49 pm

Hazy Hot And Humid with showers and storms for New York City
There should be thunderstorms here soon

Written By: Howard on 07/21/06 at 4:10 pm

There should be thunderstorms here soon

Hope you don't get caught in it :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 4:12 pm

Hope you don't get caught in it :(
The storms (hopefully) will be overnight.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/06 at 4:13 pm

The storms (hopefully) will be overnight.

most likely heavy

Written By: Dave79 on 08/02/06 at 10:36 pm

Ive been though almost any type of weather.  But...

....Ice Storms!!!

I'm not fond of these now, but as a kid just about everyone loved em..We had a hell of an ice storm in December `85, We used the fireplace to cook dinner.. the power was off for 4 days, but it was nice to get out from school. In `89 this happened once again, the whole town was in a blackout for 30 hours or so.  And in '00.. this started Christmas day.. power was off for 3 days. There were minor storms in other years but those are some of the big ones.

--
Dave.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/11 at 6:56 am

So far I've been through a Blizzard,Hurricane and Flash Flood.

Check for new replies or respond here...