inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artists You Used To Like, But Got Sick Of

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/14/06 at 11:10 pm

Some of these artists for me are Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cure, Radiohead, and The Flaming Lips. I respect all of them immensely, but I got a little sick of them after awhile...particularly Radiohead, it just depresses me when I listen to it.

Subject: Re: Artists You Used To Like, But Got Sick Of

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/14/06 at 11:16 pm

That's because aside from the Flaming Lips, those band make music for whiny depressed people.  So when you listen to it, you become whiny and depressed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/14/06 at 11:34 pm

I'm a little sick of Talking Heads right now. It won't last long ;)

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/14/06 at 11:36 pm

In 8th grade (practically 4 or 5 years ago), I was crazy about Limp Bizkit.

Eww.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/14/06 at 11:37 pm

Right now I'm sick of Kelly Clarkson, she's been way too overplayed in the last year and a half.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/14/06 at 11:41 pm

Right now I'm sick of Kelly Clarkson, she's been way too overplayed in the last year and a half.

That's odd; I haven't heard her on the radio in a while.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/14/06 at 11:42 pm

That's odd; I haven't heard her on the radio in a while.

Walk Away has gotten a lot of airplay this year, but it is on the decline lately, it was bigger earlier in the year.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/14/06 at 11:51 pm

Eww.

YOU used to like Limp Bizkit? And you with such good musical taste?  ;D Well, I liked Savage Garden in 3rd/4th grade...

Yeah, Echo and the Bunnymen are very, very depressing...so are most of the other ones I mentioned that I got sick of. I never got sick of the Smiths, just because they're not all THAT depressing and they're better songwriters.

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/06 at 11:54 pm

In the late 90s, I got sick of Elton John.  When Candle in the Wind '97 came out, it saw it's greatest success in Canada, where it spent 45 weeks at #1 and stayed in the Top 40 for 3 consecutive years :o

I heard that song so much, that I almost stopped listening to Elton altogether.  Then in 2002, he released the song "This Train Don't Stop There Anymore" which I thought was his best work since The Lion King, so I began listening to him again

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/15/06 at 12:04 am

YOU used to like Limp Bizkit? And you with such good musical taste?  ;D Well, I liked Savage Garden in 3rd/4th grade...

Yeah, Echo and the Bunnymen are very, very depressing...so are most of the other ones I mentioned that I got sick of. I never got sick of the Smiths, just because they're not all THAT depressing and they're better songwriters.

Hahaha, I used to like Savage Garden around that time too!

And I liked Limp Bizkit back when I didn't really mave a musical preference. Back then I liked what my mom played, anything from 2Pac to Guns and Roses to Alice in Chains.

I don't think I'll ever grow old of the Smiths or Morrissey NEVER!!

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/15/06 at 12:06 am

And I liked Limp Bizkit back when I didn't really mave a musical preference. Back then I liked what my mom played, anything from 2Pac to Guns and Roses to Alice in Chains.

I don't think I'll ever grow old of the Smiths or Morrissey NEVER!!

What you like when you're around 16-18 tends to be what you like the most for the rest of your life...

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/15/06 at 12:11 am

What you like when you're around 16-18 tends to be what you like the most for the rest of your life...

YAY!!

I can't wait until my little neices and nephews (I dunno if I'm guinna be a mom, doesn't sound appealing) go through my CDs, asking who on earth are the Kaiser Chiefs, Simon & Garfunkel, The Smiths, and Sigur Ros! Ha!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/15/06 at 12:27 am

Wow, lets see......

-DMX
-Ja Rule
-Usher
-System of a Down
-Saliva
-Staind
-Tantric
-Kid Rock
-Evanescence

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/15/06 at 12:29 am

YAY!!

I can't wait until my little neices and nephews (I dunno if I'm guinna be a mom, doesn't sound appealing) go through my CDs, asking who on earth are the Kaiser Chiefs, Simon & Garfunkel, The Smiths, and Sigur Ros! Ha!

I've got a goal to make everybody I know like my favorite music!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/15/06 at 1:29 am

Not really.

I now hate most of the stuff I liked when I was 16.

Written By: fusefan on 07/15/06 at 1:41 am

Eminem definitely.  Ever since "The Eminem Show" came out it didn't feel the same as his stuff from 1999-2000.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/16/06 at 11:20 am

Plenty of artists...it also works the other way round as well - I've begun to appreciate many artists I once was totally apathetic about or detested, but that's for another thread.

My music tastes change by the year, month, week, sometimes even by the hour - they may depend on my mood.etc, but there are artists I used to like but just can't seem to appreciate much anymore.

Eminem - I liked him for a very brief period in 1999-2000  (basically his 'Slim Shady' era), tolerated him from 2000-2003, and began disliking him ever since...

Smashmouth - My ex-favourite band. Astro Lounge was the first album I purchased way back in 1999. I used to love the sing-along tracks on that album, but now they seem a little lost on me - I guess they remind me too much of being 13-14.

Queen - I still like them, but not as much as before. They can be surprisingly kitschy at times.

Village People - Liked 'em when I was about 8 or 9. You can probably guess why I 'abandoned' them in my later years...

U2 - I don't dislike them, but they've started sounding a little boring.

Coldplay - Same as U2.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/16/06 at 3:42 pm

Geez, now I'm kinda embarrased to admit it, but I still like Savage Garden now. ;D

At least "I Knew I Loved You", which I've commonly said I think is the last sappy pop ballad to become a huge hit. With that song, they were the Air Supply of '99/00.

Written By: woops on 07/16/06 at 3:50 pm

Ashlee Simpson, liked "Pieces of Me" when came out, but started having second thoughts with  "La La" until I took her as a joke after her "acid reflux" incident...  :P

Written By: chaka on 07/16/06 at 3:51 pm

That's because aside from the Flaming Lips, those band make music for whiny depressed people.  So when you listen to it, you become whiny and depressed.

No comment..

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/16/06 at 3:53 pm

As for the original question, my tastes have kinda stayed the same (I've liked 1985 music since 1985!) :D I mean, I might get sick of certain songs for a little while, but I've never really abandoned any artists in general.

Although I have gone through phases, and here's a few I maybe don't like as much as I used to:

-Avril Lavigne: I've gone back and forth with her. At very first listen, I didn't like "Sk8er Boi" but soon came to like the poppier "Complicated". Then got sick of it again.
-The Offspring: One of the best pop/punk/alt rock bands, but I listened to them so much in 1999 that it sorta ruined some of the songs for me.
-AC/DC, Motley Crue, Permanent Vacation-era Aerosmith, and Ozzy: I went through an '80s metal/hair band phase in '98-2000. I still love all of 'em, but I think I overloaded on them then.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/16/06 at 4:13 pm

Eww.

I never liked Limp Bizkit!  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/16/06 at 4:43 pm

As for the original question, my tastes have kinda stayed the same (I've liked 1985 music since 1985!) :D I mean, I might get sick of certain songs for a little while, but I've never really abandoned any artists in general.

Although I have gone through phases, and here's a few I maybe don't like as much as I used to:

-Avril Lavigne: I've gone back and forth with her. At very first listen, I didn't like "Sk8er Boi" but soon came to like the poppier "Complicated". Then got sick of it again.
-The Offspring: One of the best pop/punk/alt rock bands, but I listened to them so much in 1999 that it sorta ruined some of the songs for me.
-AC/DC, Motley Crue, Permanent Vacation-era Aerosmith, and Ozzy: I went through an '80s metal/hair band phase in '98-2000. I still love all of 'em, but I think I overloaded on them then.

I went through a huge early '80s depressing new wave phase (Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cure) and Radiohead phase in 2002 and 2003. I also was very into the Velvet Underground around 2004, though I still like VU. For some reason, I've stopped caring for Radiohead all that much...part of it is that their music is a little too "produced" and insular sounding for me, though I immensely respect them.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/16/06 at 5:00 pm

I never got sick of the Smiths, just because they're not all THAT depressing and they're better songwriters.

It's funny because even though I listened to "modern rock" throughout most of the 80's, I could never get into The Smiths or Morrissey.   To me it sounded like singing in a monotone and all the songs sound the same to me.

There are some artists i get sick of for a short time, then listen to them but more likely if I completely stop listening to them it's because I didn't like the direction their music went in...

Some examples:

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall and Thriller were great... Say,Say,Say was pretty good...after that, blech!

R.E.M. - "Bang And Blame" and "Shiny Happy People" ruined my opinion of REM... although I still like their older stuff, and Everybody Hurts is good...

Metallica - After the Black album, they started to sound like grunge.. yuk!  Again, I only listen to their older stuff.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/16/06 at 5:56 pm

It's funny because even though I listened to "modern rock" throughout most of the 80's, I could never get into The Smiths or Morrissey.  To me it sounded like singing in a monotone and all the songs sound the same to me.

There are some artists i get sick of for a short time, then listen to them but more likely if I completely stop listening to them it's because I didn't like the direction their music went in...

Some examples:

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall and Thriller were great... Say,Say,Say was pretty good...after that, blech!

R.E.M. - "Bang And Blame" and "Shiny Happy People" ruined my opinion of REM... although I still like their older stuff, and Everybody Hurts is good...

Metallica - After the Black album, they started to sound like grunge.. yuk!  Again, I only listen to their older stuff.

I agree about MJ; if I had been around in 1987, Bad probably  would've ruined my opinion of him.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/16/06 at 8:43 pm

I like to compare artists to wine. Some are cheap, sweet and give you an instant musical 'fix' if you like, but you get sick of them really quickly. Others take a while to appreciate - they are more of an 'acquired taste', much like the more subtle blends. I'd rate 'Smashmouth' as the former, and artists like Nick Drake as the latter.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/16/06 at 10:00 pm

Probably Tina Turner is an example of an artist I liked but got sick of... I remember I really liked "What's Love Got To Do With It" and "The Best" when they first came out, but now I don't even think I would notice if they were on the radio... plus her 1000 "Farewell tour" announcements were kind of annoyiing.

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/06 at 10:12 pm

I got sick of U2 big time.  I only really liked maybe 4 or 5 songs of theirs in the 80s.  I never much liked them in the 90s, and apart from "The Sweetest Thing", I stopped listening to them. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/16/06 at 10:16 pm

It's funny because even though I listened to "modern rock" throughout most of the 80's, I could never get into The Smiths or Morrissey.  To me it sounded like singing in a monotone and all the songs sound the same to me.

Some examples:

It took me awhile to get into The Smiths; how much I loved "How Soon Is Now?" was the catalyst for my getting into them heavily. I kept on listening to them and soon I was enchanted...there's definitely a "consistency/samesoundingness" to their work, but once you break into an album and get into the lyrics, you get to know it pretty well. It's an acquired taste. The same with some other artists that are more "difficult" that I like, such as Sonic Youth or Joni Mitchell's work after 1974.

"Shiny Happy People" always gets alot of hate. It's not their best song, but it has a sarcastic message to it and I love the guest vocals, since I'm a big B-52s fan.

Part of the reason I got SO sick of Radiohead is how huge they were among rock fans from 1998-2004, when all my friends loved them and couldn't stop harping on them...it got to the "I'm aware they're amazing!" point. Also, their music, more than other sad music I listen to, has a perfect, hopeless quality to it with alot dryer of an emotion. It has this space station feel that can make me feel even emptier than I'm already feeling when I'm in a bad mood. I also got sick of NIN.

Written By: Davester on 07/16/06 at 10:19 pm

Guns -N- Roses
  The Farm
  Ministry
  R.E.M.
  Aerosmith
  Third Eye Blind

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/17/06 at 3:26 am

REM - my interest in them is slowly dying.
U2 - ditto
Coldplay - never got into their newest album, my interest in them faded around 2004-2005
There are various others with an on again, off again relationship.

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/06 at 9:53 am

.. So do The Flaming Lips... ever listen to The Soft Bulletin album? As much as I love it (it's a good album, don't get me wrong), it made me want to just.. I dunno, kick the crap out of that one guy and tell him to grow testicles.

Radiohead is sad, but I wouldn't but them as whiny..

Anyway.. here's my list:

The Flaming Lips: I killed them, they were one of the first bands I listened to regularly.
Eminem: God, I listened to the album I had every day.. and killed it.
Robbie Williams: I'm getting back into him now, kinda did the same as I did with Eminem
Seal: See 'Eminem' and 'Robbie Williams'
Lemon Demon: Hasn't quite happened yet, but I KNOW I'm killing his music, but it's just.. I dunno, I can't stop.
E/Eels: I just got sick of him.. he gets a little childish sometimes, and that bugged me.
Franz Ferdinand: The first album.. I hate the new one.. but I love their sound, and I totally killed the self-titled.
Of Montreal: I actually think I got sick more of the constant accolades they get. "OMG THEY SOUND LIKE THE BEATLES KINDA THEY'RE SO GOOD!!!!"... they're a decent band, but not worth all the ravings they got. I hardly listen anymore.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/17/06 at 10:18 am

.. So do The Flaming Lips... ever listen to The Soft Bulletin album? As much as I love it (it's a good album, don't get me wrong), it made me want to just.. I dunno, kick the crap out of that one guy and tell him to grow testicles.

The Soft Bulletin? Really? I don't see any sadness in that...

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/06 at 12:04 pm

The Soft Bulletin? Really? I don't see any sadness in that...

It's most evident in "The Spiderbite Song", "Waiting For A Superman" and "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate".. admittedly all very good songs (some of  the best Flaming Lips stuff in my book), but ridiculously sappy and sad... it gets annoying.

Although that album was written right after the guy's dad died of cancer, so I give them a bit of slack for it..

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/17/06 at 12:19 pm

Green Day. Need I say more? Oh, and Good Charolatte.

I actually feel a bit the same with Green Day. They used to vie as being one of my favourite bands, now they don't interest me as much. I think alot of people tend to outgrow three-chord pop punk as they age - it's just too fast and hectic for me...must be getting old.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/06 at 1:22 pm

U2 (I used to like their older stuff from the first half of the 80's...)
Aerosmith (I liked them in the 70's but not after that...)

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/06 at 1:53 pm

U2 (I used to like their older stuff from the first half of the 80's...)

Indeed, U2 went downhill, it did.

I actually feel a bit the same with Green Day. They used to vie as being one of my favourite bands, now they don't interest me as much. I think alot of people tend to outgrow three-chord pop punk as they age - it's just too fast and hectic for me...must be getting old.

Nimrod was a good album.. I dunno, I think they just had a spark of a decent idea.. otherwise, they just keep doing the same thing over and over.. and it's not even a good thing. Green Day has always bugged me. But then, I never liked Punk.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 2:45 pm

Green Day - I like their early stuff, it came off more original to me than what is popular now.
Pussycat Dolls (they have maybe one decent song, but that one girl drives me nuts how she hogs all the videos with her face)
Yes - Their songs are not really all that great, but they seem to still get a lot of airplay.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/06 at 4:37 pm

Michael Jackson
Prince
Madonna

Check for new replies or respond here...