inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Orange Beach Public Library - WhoaMG!!!

Written By: YWN on 07/20/06 at 5:11 pm

Okay, so I noticed there was a big stand at the library with black and white drawings of things like the Bill of Rights and a flaming copy of "Catcher In The Rye" with text about free speech.  Then I saw posters on all the bookcases denouncing things like anti-gay movements, Pat Robertson, and creationists, with articles emphasizing civil rights.

...It's....it's like....a revolution...!  Trust me, this part of Alabama isn't exactly what you'd call liberal or open minded.  That's why I'm really surprised what the library is doing.  I can smell the furor of the religious right.  There's going to be a boycott for sure...!

Frankly, I'm just amused.  I want to see how this whole thing turns out.  Has anyone else had anything like this happen at their library?

Subject: Re: Orange Beach Public Library - WhoaMG!!!

Written By: YWN on 07/20/06 at 5:12 pm

I was just thinking...maybe this should be in the political section...?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/20/06 at 5:21 pm

I was just thinking...maybe this should be in the political section...?

Yeah, you would probably get more hits in politics, but I wonder what is going on there.  It is meant to be
a political statement in the quise of a work of art, like a mural.  It does seem odd. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/20/06 at 8:40 pm

meh, nice to see ya Marsh! ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/21/06 at 10:36 pm

GAYS HAVE RIGHTS TOO, YANNO!!! And.. and... Freedom of speech! yeah! Wooo!! Go Orange Beach Public Library!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/22/06 at 1:41 am

Librarians are notorious rebel rousers/ freedom of speech activists and whatnot.  I'm kinda sorry I got out of the career.  When there was this portion of the Patriot Act that made librarians have to turn over lists of what books patrons checked out to read...Mysteriously most records of what people borrowed were erased.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/06 at 6:53 am

Librarians are notorious rebel rousers/ freedom of speech activists and whatnot.  I'm kinda sorry I got out of the career.  When there was this portion of the Patriot Act that made librarians have to turn over lists of what books patrons checked out to read...Mysteriously most records of what people borrowed were erased.  ;D

Michael Moores book "Stupid White Men" was held up in warehouses although it had been already printed. It was supposed to be released, but then with the events of 9/11 the publisher Harper Collins(owned by Rupert Murdoch), wanted him to rewrite it parts of it to be more sensitive in view of the events.  He said yeah, but then they asked him to rewrite up to about 50% and be less critical of bush and his cadre.  He said no and went on a speaking tour.  He spoke of how his book was being held up, and a librarian heard him speak of the troubles getting his book distributed and she emailed librarians around the country letting them know that the book and that she believed that this was a form of censorship(it was).  The librarians mobilized and sent emails of objection to Harper Collins, Publishers Weekly and the New York Post ran stories about it, only then did Harper Collins release the book.   

Check for new replies or respond here...